Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

1/only It's a Wonderful Life thread (merge of the three current threads)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

1/only It's a Wonderful Life thread (merge of the three current threads)

Old 03-05-06, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a Wonderful Life rerelease?

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed but I searched and couldn't find anything about it.

The rerelease thread stickied at the top mentions that It's A Wonderful Life is confirmed to be rereleased. What is the status on this? Does anyone know if this is likely to happen soon or if I would be better off just going ahead and getting the edition that's out now? Thanks.
Old 03-05-06, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Jackson_Browne
Does anyone know if this is likely to happen soon or if I would be better off just going ahead and getting the edition that's out now? Thanks.
If you can find it at Sam Goody/Suncoast's 70% off Christmas stuff sale, I'd say go for it, but I'm pretty sure that, when announced, 'It's A Wonderful Life' was targetted as a 60th Anniversary release ... which is this year (though I'd assume the release wouldn't be until at least Thanksgiving, if not Christmas).
Old 03-05-06, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It fell over to Paramount this year with the rest of the republic catalog. Nothing has been announced, only speculation that it would happen. Agreed if you can find the old copy on the cheap its a good deal.
Old 03-05-06, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got sick of waiting for a new release, so I finally got this during the last few months over the holidays. It was $10 or less and it had all the features I had on my VHS copy, so I was glad I got it.
Old 03-05-06, 07:14 PM

Alright, thanks for the help. I'll probably just pick up the edition that's out now when I see a good price on it since nothing official has been confirmed.
Old 03-08-06, 06:35 PM

It's ridiculous that this hasn't gotten a proper SE yet. Paramount should make it a priority for one of their 2-Disc Special Collector's Editions.
Old 03-08-06, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Interesting side note, but It's a Wonderful Life fell into the public domain. Unfortunately, the underlying works it is based off of are not yet in the public domain. So theoretically anyone could produce the movie on DVD if they got the right license and could obtain a decent transfer of the film.
Old 03-08-06, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts
IAWL used to be public domain and that's why it was on every channel 6 times a day and there were a million VHS versions at the dollar store. it as free programming.

But things have changed since a 1993 court case... and they now "enforce the claim of copyright"
NBC has exclusive TV rights and Paramount has DVD rights.

wikipedia:
In 1993, Republic Pictures relied on the 1990 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Stewart v. Abend (which involved the movie Rear Window) to enforce its claim of copyright, because, while the film's copyright had not been renewed, it was a derivative work of various works that were still copyrighted.

As a result, the film is no longer shown as much on television (NBC is currently licensed to show the film on U.S. network television), the colorized versions have been withdrawn, and Republic now has exclusive ancillary rights to the film. Artisan Entertainment (under license from Republic) held home video rights until late 2005 when they reverted to Republic's sister studio Paramount.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_...d_distribution

Last edited by GuessWho; 03-08-06 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Amazon put a page up for a paramount release of It's A Wonderful Life for 10.31.06 No details yet...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...v=glance&n=130
Old 08-10-06, 07:00 PM

I hope it's a new SE. I've hold off on the current version for some time now.
Old 08-10-06, 11:38 PM

Awesome news. I'm crossing my fingers it will get the SE treatment it deserves.
Old 08-11-06, 01:56 AM

sweet
Old 08-11-06, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if they put half the work in of the John Wayne titles...we're gonna be in good shape
Old 08-15-06, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

davis dvd is now reporting that lionsgate has retained the entire republic catalog except for Its a wonderful life, which will in fact get a new dvd from paramount on 10.31.06
Old 08-15-06, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's a page and price up at DeepDiscountDVD also

https://secure.deepdiscountdvd.com/d...emid=PRD096001

I'm a huge fan of this film. One of the first email lists I ever joined online was an IAWL fanlist.

There is an excellent book out there by the boy who played young Tommy, Jimmy Hawkins.

It shows up for sale from time to time, but it's expensive. I ordered it from the library in an interlibrary loan, it took a long time to come in, but it was worth it...
Old 08-15-06, 05:12 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Being a big Jimmy Stewart fan, and a movie geek in general, I'm ashamed to say that I have yet to see this film. I think I'm going to rent it today, actually. I need to see it.

If it's re-released, I'll buy it. However, I may end up picking up the version that is out right now.
Old 08-15-06, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wick
Being a big Jimmy Stewart fan, and a movie geek in general, I'm ashamed to say that I have yet to see this film. I think I'm going to rent it today, actually. I need to see it.
Wow! How is that possible? It used to get shown on TV 3 billion times each Christmas....
Old 08-15-06, 12:39 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Ambassador
Wow! How is that possible? It used to get shown on TV 3 billion times each Christmas....
I don't know. I guess I missed all of the times that it aired, at Christmas-time, or I was just too young to appreciate it when I saw it on TV and didn't watch it. My parents are too cheap to get any type of television above "antenna TV," so I only get about 25-30 channels. CBC usually plays, "Miracle on 34th Street," on Christmas Eve, and none of the other channels I have seem to do much with regards to showing classic Christmas cinema.
Old 08-15-06, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
The version out right now is good, but I'd sure like to see more extras. I've been collecting IAWL memorabilia for years, and there are a lot of things I'd think they could include on this set such as a photo gallery, the old radio shows, a James Stewart, Donna Reed and/or Frank Capra retrospective, audio commentaries by Jimmy Hawkins and/or Karolyn Grimes or other actors still alive, clips from the colorized version, the Tom Bosley special about the movie, maybe even a commentary by Roger Ebert as he's quite fond of it...

I think people would eat it up over the holiday season.

Last edited by JuryDuty; 08-15-06 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-16-06, 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
...there are a lot of things I'd think they could include on this set such as ... the Tom Bosley special about the movie...
FWIW, the Tom Bosley "The Making of It's a Wonderful Life" special is included on the current "Silver Screen" version that's been out for a few years.
Old 08-16-06, 10:28 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I borrowed it (on VHS,) from one of my best friends, yesterday. My family are going out for a while today, so I'll probably watch it then. I can't wait to watch it.
Old 08-16-06, 10:52 AM
Banned

Funny you mention this. I'm actually friends with Donna Reed's son. I play pickup basketball games with him all the time here(I'm not joking). I'll ask him if he has heard anything.
Old 08-17-06, 03:59 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I watched it this morning and thought it was brilliant. It's definitely a masterpiece. I really need to buy it on DVD now.
Old 08-17-06, 02:24 PM

Glad you finally got a chance to see it's a Wonderful Life Wick. When I was teenager back in the 70's, this is the movie that turned me into a Jimmy Stewart Fan. Can't wait for SE to come out. It's going to be a really expensive few months for me with all the great releases coming out. Looks like nobody's getting Christmas presents this year.

PS - Dalvin, tell your friend his Mom was totally hot. Had a huge crush (to be polite) on her.
Old 08-17-06, 02:28 PM

I too had a crush on Ms. Reed.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.