Reload this Page >

Maltese Falcon SE - Any word?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 10-21-05, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Casablanca has one. Damnit, it's time that the Maltese Falcon has one. I consider it to be my favorite of the two (even though I thoroughly love Casablanca).

Is there any word on when a SE of the Maltese Falcon starring Humphrey Bogart will be streeting?
Old 10-21-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It'll probably be next year, since it'll be the 65th anniversary. WB has stated it's a likely project.
Old 10-21-05, 02:40 PM

I heard rumors about one, in 2006 I think, Warner are probably working on another one, it's such a classic, so yup there's going to be one eventually..
Old 10-21-05, 02:58 PM

I think the extra that I would like to see the most is Satan Met a Lady -- I've never seen it, but it looks like a treat for Falcon fans.

(Yeesh, almost 4 years and I'm still a cool new member!)
Old 10-21-05, 03:19 PM

I'd double-dip for a Maltese Falcon SE. Something I rarely do any more.
Old 10-21-05, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this and key largo are supposed to be in the works for the two disc treatment next year...along with some other Bogie catalog titles
Old 10-21-05, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
WB seems to be turning out their great editions very regularly, and obviously they can't do everything at once. As long as we know it's in the works, I can wait a bit.

Not too long, one hopes!
Old 10-22-05, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stormbull
I think the extra that I would like to see the most is Satan Met a Lady -- I've never seen it, but it looks like a treat for Falcon fans.
I've got it around here somewhere, taped off UHF TV around 2AM many years ago... don't remember too much about it except I don't recall it being very good.
If you've read the original book, the Bogie version is actually quite faithful to it, with the exception of a few scenes that couldn't be included due to the censors of the day (for example, Bogie makes Bridget strip in the bathroom to check for the missing $100....)

Slowly building my library replacing all the Bogie flicks I taped off TV... probably won't replace my Bogie LD's, but I have about 70 of his movies on VHS.

Last edited by fargus; 10-22-05 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-23-05, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Stormbull
FYI, Turner Classic Movies shows 'Satan Met A Lady' and 'Dangerous Female' (which pre-dates both of them) fairly regularly.
Old 10-24-05, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
FYI, Turner Classic Movies shows 'Satan Met A Lady' and 'Dangerous Female' (which pre-dates both of them) fairly regularly.
Yup. Both are worth watching although for different reasons. "Satan" ripped off the story (the names etc. were changed) , but the likable leads (Warren William and Bette Davis) make up for it. "Female" is more faithful and has the great Ricardo Cortez playing Spade. The guy playing Gutman has to be seen to be believed.
Old 10-25-05, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Paul Drake
The guy playing Gutman has to be seen to be believed.
Do you mean this guy?
Old 10-25-05, 06:50 PM

Yup, that's old Dudley

I should mention that this film also has Thelma Todd and Dwight Frye as well as L&H villain Walter Long. If you're a fan of 30s cinema, you can't beat this cast.
Old 02-07-06, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

well warner spilled the beans the other night on the SE. The bits is reporting

The Maltese Falcon (1941) - packaged with The Maltese Falcon - Dangerous Female (1931) and Satan Met a Lady (1936)

it will be a two disc dvd
Old 02-07-06, 08:50 AM

So it won't be separate?
Old 02-07-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

it was a remake of those two films, so No it won't. All 3 are packed together ala strangers on a train, dr jekyll & mr hyde, etc.
Old 06-13-06, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

some more info from today's Business Wire:

'Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collection Vol. 2' Debuts September 12 from Warner Home Video
BURBANK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 12, 2006--On September 12, Warner Home Video honors one of the most popular movie actors of all time with the DVD release of "Humphrey Bogart: The Signature Collection Volume 2." Highlighting this collection is a deluxe new 3-Disc Special Edition of "The Maltese Falcon," featuring a newly-remastered edition of the 1941 John Huston masterpiece starring Bogart as Dashiell Hammett's definitive Sam Spade. This new deluxe set is loaded with hours of bonuses including the 1931 version of "The Maltese Falcon" and the 1936 film, "Satan Met a Lady," commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax, a recently recovered additional scene as well as vintage Warner "Night at the Movies" features.

Also contained in the collection are four more Bogart classics making their DVD debuts -- "Across the Pacific," "Action in the North Atlantic," "All Through the Night" and "Passage to Marseille." Each film has been restored from the original camera negatives and has been digitally remastered, with each title enhanced with entertaining features. The new five film, seven-disc gift set will sell for $59.92 SRP; all titles are exclusive to the collection, except "The Maltese Falcon 3-Disc Special Edition," which will also sell separately for $29.92 SRP.

Named AFI's #1 male movie star of all time, Humphrey Bogart has been a cult figure throughout the world since the 1940s. Mostly, he played characters who were smart, playful, courageous, tough, and reckless -- who lived in a corrupt world yet were anchored by an inner moral code. He also excelled portraying men with flaws and weaknesses that ultimately led to their downfall. One of the most prolific actors in motion picture history, he appeared in 85 films which have demonstrated their enduring popularity by selling to date more than five million copies on video and DVD. Bogart won a Best Actor Academy Award(R) for his performance in "The African Queen" and earned an Oscar(R) nomination for "Casablanca" and "The Caine Mutiny."
Old 06-13-06, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
The Maltese Falcon Three-Disc Special Edition (1941)

This nominee for three Academy Awards – Best Picture, Supporting Actor (Greenstreet) and Screenplay (Huston) – solidified Bogart’s stardom and launched John Huston’s illustrious directorial career. An all-star cast (including Sydney Greenstreet, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Elisha Cook Jr.) joins Bogart in this classic film noir story about hard-boiled detective Sam Spade (Bogart) and the gallery of lowlifes he’s after to find his partner’s killer as well as the jewel-encrusted life size statue of a falcon. Filled with twists and turns, the crackling mystery masterwork was based on Dashiell Hammett’s novel. The Maltese Falcon was added to the National Film Registry in 1989 and is #23 on the American Film Institute’s (AFI) List of 100 Greatest Movies.

This all-new 3-Disc Special Edition is full of extras, including two features which preceded Bogie’s landmark Falcon -- the 1931 pre-code version of The Maltese Falcon and the 1936 film, Satan Met a Lady, starring Bette Davis.

Disc One Special Features:

- New digital transfer of 1941 movie from restored elements
- Commentary by Bogart biographer Eric Lax
- Warner Night at the Movies 1941 short subjects gallery:
- Vintage Newsreel, Oscar-Nominated Technicolor musical short The Gay Parisian
- Classic Cartoon: Oscar nominee Hiawatha’s Rabbit Hunt
- Trailers of The Maltese Falcon and 1941’s Sergeant York
- Languages: English & Français (1941 movie only)
- Subtitles: English, Français & Español (1941 movie only)

Disc Two Special Features:

- 2 Previous movie versions of the classic Hammett caper:
- The Maltese Falcon (1931) with Bebe Daniels and Ricardo Cortez
- Satan Met a Lady (1936) with Bette Davis and Warren William
- Theatrical trailers

Disc Three Special Features:

- New Documentary The Maltese Falcon: One Magnificent Bird
- Robert Osborne Hosts Becoming Attractions: The Trailers of Humphrey Bogart
- Breakdowns of 1941: Studio Blooper Reel
- Audio-only bonus: 3 radio show adaptations featuring the movie’s original stars including a version starring Edward G. Robinson
Old 06-13-06, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fantastic news! Warner continues to take all of my money!
Old 06-13-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sold.
Old 06-13-06, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This proves once again that Warner is THE company when it comes to classic film releases.

Now if they can get started on that SE for The Big Sleep.
Old 06-13-06, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
Sold.
Second that. Wow - that is one loaded set. Terrific news.
Old 06-13-06, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy shit. I promised myself I wasn't buying re-releases anymore, but Warner just keeps pulling me back in!
Old 06-13-06, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
This proves once again that Warner is THE company when it comes to classic film releases.

Agree with both points. This looks like an amazing set, and hopefully Big Sleep will get the same treatment someday.
Old 06-13-06, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Simpson Purist
According to the Warner's chat back in February, there are no plans to do an SE for The Big Sleep.

Here's the relevant part:

[JackBaxter] We know that The Maltese Falcon is getting a two-disc this year. Will The Big
Sleep, To Have and Have Not, or Key Largo be getting similar treatment? Also, what aspect
ratios will The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut be presented in?

[Warner] We see no reason to revisit the other BOGARTS, they were restored from orig camera
negative, and there really isn't much else to do that would warrant creating a new edition,
THE SHINING and EYES WIDE SHUT will be 1.77 (16x9)
Old 06-13-06, 04:53 PM

Looks like a great set.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.