Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Disney sequels are coming. Lots of them.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tend to stay away from Disney animated sequels. But seeing as this is the last of the hand drawn animation going on for Disney I thought some of you would like to read this. I hope Roy gets some pen and ink going soon.

From DVD Exclusive

DISNEYTOON-ING UP, SCALING BACK
Might close Sydney animation house by next year
By Scott Hettrick 8/12/2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DisneyToon Studios might be shutting its animation house in Sydney, Australia, next year to gain "more flexibility to choose the most appropriate and efficient animation process." But that's not before the facility responsible for the biggest DVD premiere movie ever--The Lion King II: Simba's Pride--finishes Bambi II for DVD next spring.

It's also wrapping up work on DVD premieres Brother Bear 2 and Cinderella III.

In fact, the Aussie closure comes as DT Studios has cranked up its development and production slate with DVD premieres such as Dumbo II and an increasing number of computer-generated movies, including Tinkerbell in 2007.

Earlier this year came Mulan II and Tarzan II, and still to come from the DT Studios Down Under are, Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch on Aug. 30, Pooh's Heffalump Halloween Movie next month and Kronk's New Groove in December.

Disney also is already promoting another Lilo DVD premiere movie on the Lilo 2 DVD called Leroy & Stitch, coming next April from Walt Disney Television Animation.

Leroy is an extension of the 2003 WDTVA DVD premiere Stitch! The Movie and related cartoon series that has its own storyline (as compared to DT's Lilo 2, which picks up the story of the Hawaiian girl and her adopted alien pet from the day after the conclusion of the story in the original 2002 theatrical release).

Last edited by Cameron; 08-18-05 at 03:00 AM.
Old 08-16-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Fuck Disney.
Old 08-16-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have zero interest in any of those.
Old 08-17-05, 12:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is the LILO & STITCH: SE disk dead? The extras were already done for it.
Old 08-17-05, 12:50 AM
Banned

Is Disney greedy or something? Bambi 2 and Dumbo 2? I'm sorry, that is just fucking ridicious! I remember buying Cinderella Story II years ago and it's very awful!

Last edited by DVDFreaker; 08-17-05 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Still no word on the Lilo and Stitch Platinum Edition (or SE or ANY two disc edition) but LEROY AND STITCH??? There will be like 626 Stitch movies before we see our SE of the movie.

And a CGI Dumbo??? Walt Disney just rotated in his grave.

And if I misread the news, and the CGI reference in that sentence doesn't refer back to Dumbo II, Walt certainly has rotated in his grave over Bambi II.

Would this crap be happening if Roy Disney were in charge?
Old 08-17-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Dumbo 2 is hand drawn. the trailer has been out forever. The CGI incarnation is for "Tinkerbell" a New Peter Pan spinoff of course.

Roy is back in charge. He came back to Disney last month. What he is doing with the animation department is still up in the air though.
Old 08-17-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So who is to blame for these crap ass sequels?
Old 08-17-05, 01:26 AM
Suspended

Is that the 3rd fucking sequel to Lilo and Stitch?

For fucks sake.
Old 08-17-05, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh well, what are you gonna do?
Old 08-17-05, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bobbin
Is that the 3rd fucking sequel to Lilo and Stitch?

For fucks sake.
I thought it was the fourth. Didn't they have Lilo and Stitch 2, then Stitch the Movie, and now Stitch has a Glitch? Or maybe I am thinking of some other stupid movie or DVD release. I haven't kept up on them, so maybe the other DVD was one of those story book DVDs Disney likes to release.
Old 08-17-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All of this crap and still no SE for The Black Cauldron?

There's just something wrong about that.
Old 08-17-05, 02:25 AM

Am I missing something here? Why are you guys getting so angry? They make these sequels because kids buy them, its simple. Take characters people already know, and give them a new adventure or a new story.

I'm no big Disney fan, but I can't understand all the hostility. No-one is forcing you to buy them, surely?
Old 08-17-05, 03:20 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm much more interested in and buying the classic and theatrical releases than those dead cow milking $equels.
Old 08-17-05, 03:22 AM

I LOVE "The Emperor's New Groove", so "Kronk's New Groove" sounds intriguing...
Old 08-17-05, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I thought it was the fourth. Didn't they have Lilo and Stitch 2, then Stitch the Movie, and now Stitch has a Glitch? Or maybe I am thinking of some other stupid movie or DVD release. I haven't kept up on them, so maybe the other DVD was one of those story book DVDs Disney likes to release.
Lilo & Stitch, Stitch: The Movie, Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch
Old 08-17-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope, i'm not interested in any sequels from disney. I just enjoy the few classics and originals that they provide in there platinum series.
Old 08-17-05, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by vedderstapp
Am I missing something here? Why are you guys getting so angry? They make these sequels because kids buy them, its simple. Take characters people already know, and give them a new adventure or a new story.

I'm no big Disney fan, but I can't understand all the hostility. No-one is forcing you to buy them, surely?
No, but it just pisses on the originals that were never written with the intentions for sequels in the first place. All of a sudden Cinderella never actually lived happily ever after, there was this other little side thing, yada, yada, yada. Add to that the low production qualitys, it just reeks of a "quick" buck investment. And all of these would have been in production before Eisner stepped down, so he is the genius to thank.

Some may not be bad. Stitch & Groove are movies that were pretty open for more adventures.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 08-17-05 at 07:19 AM.
Old 08-17-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cameron
Disney also is already promoting another Lilo DVD premiere movie on the Lilo 2 DVD called Leroy & Stitch, coming next April from Walt Disney Television Animation.
I am somehow thoroughly interested in this title.

-Leroy
Old 08-17-05, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No, but it just pisses on the originals that were never written with the intentions for sequels in the first place. All of a sudden Cinderella never actually lived happily ever after, there was this other little side thing, yada, yada, yada. Add to that the low production qualitys, it just reeks of a "quick" buck investment. And all of these would have been in production before Eisner stepped down, so he is the genius to thank.
How, exactly? Little Mermaid is one of my favorite Disney flicks. The sequel sucked but the original movie is still what it was, is and always will be. Honestly I find it quite funny sad how much whining and moaning goes on on these "internet" message boards; it's much easier to move on to something you DO like in my opinion.
Old 08-17-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
So who is to blame for these crap ass sequels?
The honest answer? People out there who buy anything with the Disney name on it. Specifically:

1. Disney "collectors" and completists
2. Parents who pick up anything Disney/animated just to keep the kiddies entertained.

It costs Disney practically nothing to put together these sequels. And have you seen the figures on how much they've sold? It's amazing. Plus they get to resell them (HD-DVD, next format after that, etc.) until the end of time.

As much as the thought of Bambi 2 and Dumbo 2 send chills down my spine, I really can't blame Disney (the company) for doing this. From a company perspective, there's no downside and lots of money to be made.
Old 08-17-05, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My kids will definitely want these so I guess I will be buying them.

Originally Posted by bboisvert
As much as the thought of Bambi 2 and Dumbo 2 send chills down my spine, I really can't blame Disney (the company) for doing this. From a company perspective, there's no downside and lots of money to be made.
A very true statement. I don't understand why people get so upset when a company does what all companies must do to survive....i.e. make money. There is alot I don't like about Disney but I am not going to bash them because they are trying to make money.
Old 08-17-05, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Apparently (and I know this is hard to believe) word of mouth on Bambi 2 is EXTREMELY strong.
Old 08-17-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by cajun_junky
I don't understand why people get so upset when a company does what all companies must do to survive....i.e. make money. There is alot I don't like about Disney but I am not going to bash them because they are trying to make money.
It is all very simple, Disney, the man, had a vision of quality family entertainment of the highest standards. So much so the company alomst went out of business a couple of times. He stood by his vision despite troubles and persevered. It was never about money, it was about providing something no one else does. It is a shame that vision of quality went out the window the last decade. It is easy to forget the standards Walt Disney set so many years ago with the likes of Eisner at the helm pumping out sub-standard product just to make money in today's world. So it isn't just about some silly dvd I don't have to buy. I'm not just some message board tool, bitching because I can, but yes there are those out there too. If you knew even just the tiniest bit of Disney history you might feel different.
Old 08-17-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Disney USED to stand for quality not quantity. And I want my Lilo & Stitch 2 disc SE.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.