Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anchor Bay Double Dracula, Why so expensive?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anchor Bay Double Dracula, Why so expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-05, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John,

Thanks for the response. I can buy that arguement to a degree, however there are a few non-anamorphic Anchor Bay Hammer releases that I would think any self-respecting Hammer fan and cinephile would gladly upgrade (e.g. Dracula, Prince of Darkness, Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires, and The Satanic Rites of Dracula).

*Sigh* At least I'm not nearly so bitter about lack of respect some Hammer release have gotten on DVD in R1 and the number that have been ignored as well since I went region free.
Old 09-24-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am thinking borders just had really good stock of these in their warehouse. I had tried serveral other stores trying to find these, and borders is the only one who could get it.

i remember reading what videophile did.
Old 09-26-05, 12:18 PM

Also, am I wrong, but I thought that Anchor Bay didn't loose all their Hammer licenses. Afterall, on their Coming Soon page they list The Anniversary as the newest edition to their Hammer Collection.
The Anniversary is a 20th Century Fox property, and AB has been releasing many of their titles lately. And as stated earlier, the "last 10" with the Studio Canal logo still seem to be in print, or at least readily available.
Old 09-26-05, 12:26 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
If you're looking for this DVD don't trust Borders' online request system. Or rather, don't trust their employees to be able to find it on the shelf.

My semi-local store showed it in stock. I requested they hold one for me and got a response that they didn't have it even though it showed in stock. So I happened to be driving by a few days later and thought I'd see if it really wasn't there. I found it filed right where it was supposed to be.
Old 09-26-05, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

glad to hear it X. My situation was a bit of the same. No one showed stock on it, wasn't til i went in and checked that i found it for myself.
Old 09-26-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yea, they can NEVER find it. I just go in person.
Old 09-26-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by X
If you're looking for this DVD don't trust Borders' online request system. Or rather, don't trust their employees to be able to find it on the shelf.

My semi-local store showed it in stock. I requested they hold one for me and got a response that they didn't have it even though it showed in stock. So I happened to be driving by a few days later and thought I'd see if it really wasn't there. I found it filed right where it was supposed to be.
I can top that one. I did an online request (The Emperor Jones), got the email that the item had been located and was being held for me, then went in to pick it up and...you guessed it...they couldn't find it! I was in a hurray, so after 15 minutes I told them I had to leave and was asked to check back in a day or so. I went back to the store about a week later, the DVD was still listed as "in stock" on the store's computer, but couldn't be found. As my 25% coupon was expiring that day, I haven't been back since.
Old 09-27-05, 06:19 PM

BTW, are there susposed to be inserts in the Dracula set? Because mine has nothing, and I know all the other Hammer Double Features have inserts.
Old 09-27-05, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Eric D.
BTW, are there susposed to be inserts in the Dracula set? Because mine has nothing, and I know all the other Hammer Double Features have inserts.
Some have and some don't.

Did yours have a white security sticker over the top or a yellow one? The ones with the yellow security sticker have the inserts. I think the ones with the white sticker are the later printings that don't have the inserts.
Old 09-28-05, 12:26 AM

I think mine was the white. No big deal. Just wanted to know for sure. Thanks.
Old 10-10-05, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

anybody have the bonus disc that came with some of the hammer flicks...first 10,000 copies. Whats on it...trailers?
Old 10-10-05, 11:14 PM

I just picked one up last week. I wasn't able to listen to the commentary to Dracula Prince of Darkness. Is there some kind of trick to finding the commentary? thanks
Old 10-18-05, 12:40 AM
mbs

My local Borders has a LOT of these OOP titles. I'm not sure they are titles I wish to own, but are they worth picking up for trading? It seems they have some pretty high value, so while not wanting to take advantage per se, I'm wondering if I should go pickup what they have.

I found at least 10 of the titles, including the "Double Dracula". Not sure how many they have. I'm not into Ebay, so I'd likely trade them here (though I have never done that either). Is it worth my time?
Old 10-18-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

half dot com has many of these titles still sealed for in and around 15-20 the dracula disc could be worth something but it goes back and forth...if ever a good time to sell a horror movie thought, its in october.
Old 10-18-05, 11:41 AM

You can find a lot of the double features at Dvd Empire ($14.99) and I've seen some of them restocked. I think the only ones they don't have are the Dracula and Quatermass sets. I'm looking for the Dracula set but I don't have a Borders near me. I'd be interested in a trade if possible.
Old 10-18-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some Amazon Marketplace sellers have it for $57 sealed. Cheaper than eBay.