Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Beavis & Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection Vol. 1 11.08.05

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PixyJunket
Incorrect. If Mike Judge made the changes it is correctly labeled.
I didnt mean it was incorrectly labeled. It's just misleading. When most people see director's cut they think there will be additions. Especially with this type of release. Usually there is some explanation as to why something was cut or added. What if MTV made the changes and Mike Judge is just a puppet? I have to assume that.
Old 11-08-05, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Director's Cuts usually means that it is the director's view of the movie that wasn't allowed by the studio due to "time restraints" or "film rating" (taking out a part to get an R rating instead of a NC-17 rating)
Old 11-08-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
At least they aren't having to blur the AC/DC and Metallica(IIRC) logos on their t-shirts due to rights.
Old 11-08-05, 12:25 PM

I just finshed watching some episodes on the first disc. There is fire, but in the plate frisbee episode when the gas truck and the match truck collide, there is an explosion but no fire. I'm not sure if that was in the original or not. Also in the 900 number one, there are noticible cuts. Very disapointing, but worth buying. Glad I have most of the originals on VHS.
Old 11-08-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yeah, the cuts are atrocious. Mr. Judge seems to have lost his sense of humor! butchering his previous works to fit his current POV is a smack in the face to his fans, no matter what he may believe.
Old 11-08-05, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 629 Likes on 484 Posts
Originally Posted by Buttmunker
One more point I would like to make to all of you who say "Mike Judge has every right to go back and make whatever changes he sees fit. B&B is his baby."

How would you feel if all future editions of a favorite book was edited by the author? What if scenes in your favorite book were changed, or character names changed, or whole paragraphs changed? Would that sit well on your craw?

No, of course not. But they're the author of the book, surely they can go back and make whatever changes they see fit? Surely, if they didn't like a particular line delivered by a character, he can go back and re-write it 50 years later because the author has matured?

Slanted logic.
But this does happen in books. For example, J.R.R. Tolkien rewrote the "Riddles In The Dark" chapter of The Hobbit so it would fit better with The Lord Of The Rings. No one complained as far as I recall and I doubt he's the only author to do this.

It does suck that the changes to B&B were made, though.
Old 11-08-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stephen King made a lot of edits and changes to his first book in The Dark Tower Series titled 'The Gunslinger' after its initial release to make it a little easier to read.
Old 11-08-05, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by scottp120
I just finshed watching some episodes on the first disc. There is fire, but in the plate frisbee episode when the gas truck and the match truck collide, there is an explosion but no fire. I'm not sure if that was in the original or not. Also in the 900 number one, there are noticible cuts. Very disapointing, but worth buying. Glad I have most of the originals on VHS.
I don't have this set, but I will make a guess about a possible edit.

In Plate Frisbee, Butthead smacks the plate on his head to Black Sabbath's Ironman. I think it happens right after Stewart's dog loses its teeth. Is this edited out? Wouldn't surprise me.

There is no fire when the trucks crash.
Old 11-08-05, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 629 Likes on 484 Posts
Originally Posted by mzupeman2
Stephen King made a lot of edits and changes to his first book in The Dark Tower Series titled 'The Gunslinger' after its initial release to make it a little easier to read.
Didn't he also release an expanded version of The Stand?
Old 11-08-05, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by chemosh6969
What's wrong with Policical Correctness and why does the monkey have to pee on it?
EVERYTHING!!!! Political Correctness is the real pragmatic and applied religion in this country today, and those who do not adopt or quest the "ethics" of Political Correctness are pilloried in public like heretics for their "thought crimes" .
Old 11-08-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
But this does happen in books. For example, J.R.R. Tolkien rewrote the "Riddles In The Dark" chapter of The Hobbit so it would fit better with The Lord Of The Rings. No one complained as far as I recall and I doubt he's the only author to do this.

It does suck that the changes to B&B were made, though.
Another book 'edit' I think fits here: The Harry Potter series being translated from English to English for the US versions (even retitled the first book). So I had the English version imported.
Old 11-08-05, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Didn't he also release an expanded version of The Stand?
Yes, but that doesn't count because, although it was reworked, new words were added, not deleted. King added in material his book publisher initially ordered him to remove due to "bloating" the size of the book in 1978.
Old 11-08-05, 02:18 PM

I'm going to pick this set up today, only because I love B&B and after all, this will probably be alot sharper image than the downloads from the net (plus I don't have either other of the releases and that COMPLETE bootleg I bought doesn't even play in my DVD player so I can't even watch it on the big screen)

But I understand people's regrets about this set.
Old 11-08-05, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sirbrady
In Plate Frisbee, Butthead smacks the plate on his head to Black Sabbath's Ironman. I think it happens right after Stewart's dog loses its teeth. Is this edited out? Wouldn't surprise me.
It's still there, actually.
Old 11-08-05, 02:23 PM
Suspended

Date Bait:

* The only deletion is a redundant bit of animation of B&B sneezing. The same animation appears a few seconds later in the scene. I have no problem with that, really.
Old 11-08-05, 02:31 PM
Suspended

Butt Is It Art:

* A shot of a security guard picking his nose then wiping it on a painting is removed from the DC.
Old 11-08-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Butt Is It Art:

* A shot of a security guard picking his nose then wiping it on a painting is removed from the DC.
[George Takai]that's just ridiculous[/george takai]
Old 11-08-05, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

WTF. all these changes make Beavis & Butt-head into moral citizens (which they are NOT!!) the lewd, irresponsible and sophomoric comments/acts are what made the boys so idiotic (and lovable).
Old 11-08-05, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
I read that Mike Judge originally wanted the show to be a drama called Edward and Franklin, but MTV forced him to change the name and insert all the juvenile humor. This is just his way of getting the series closer to his original vision.
Old 11-08-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I didn't mean the rights to the concept of the air guitar, I mean the song they're singing as they're doing it. They probably don't have the rights to that snippet of music that they're recreating.
I'm glad you didn't take that as a personal jab because in no way was it meant to be. It is just silly that we are missing parts of a show that stands out in our memory simply because Mike Judge thinks that the lines/parts were ridiculous and he has "matured" over the years. Isn't the whole show supposed to be ridiculous? Thats what made the fans love it in the first place.
Old 11-08-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Butt Is It Art:

These changes are just pointless. It sounds like he's removing alot of the humor from B&B.

lotsofdvds, many, many thanks for all the changes you've been documenting here. I never would've imagined this many cuts on one set before.
Old 11-08-05, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Teremei
I'm going to pick this set up today, only because I love B&B and after all, this will probably be alot sharper image than the downloads from the net (plus I don't have either other of the releases and that COMPLETE bootleg I bought doesn't even play in my DVD player so I can't even watch it on the big screen)

But I understand people's regrets about this set.
Yeah, I can see why people would be upset, but really, to be honest, if I hadn't read this thread, and then went to watch every episode, I probably wouldn't notice 75% of the cuts. I still won't notice them. I was looking through the episode list, and alot of these episodes aren't on the three Time Life DVDs I have, so I'll be buying it.
Old 11-08-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by GoVegan
I read that Mike Judge originally wanted the show to be a drama called Edward and Franklin, but MTV forced him to change the name and insert all the juvenile humor. This is just his way of getting the series closer to his original vision.
That would have meant a life of about six episodes and nobody talking about the show now. If this is true then Mike Judge did the right thing by listening to MTV. I can just picture the two idiots calling each other Franklin and Edward and my attention span waning while they drool supposedly dramatic bits. What happened to the "flair" that Mike Judge wanted? It's gone down from about 37 to 6 pieces over the years. Next he is going to bring back ABC After School Specials once he finishes this final season of King of the Hill.
Old 11-08-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
That would have meant a life of about six episodes and nobody talking about the show now. If this is true then Mike Judge did the right thing by listening to MTV. I can just picture the two idiots calling each other Franklin and Edward and my attention span waning while they drool supposedly dramatic bits. What happened to the "flair" that Mike Judge wanted? It's gone down from about 37 to 6 pieces over the years. Next he is going to bring back ABC After School Specials once he finishes this final season of King of the Hill.
It would have been a show with a bunch of Stewart Stevensons.
Old 11-08-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by RichardW
Rainet, it is indeed strange that in this day and age subtitles aren't the norm on DVDs. It seems like such an easy feature to add to allow hard of hearing people to enjoy movies and TV shows on DVD.
So no captions or subtitles and cut episodes? Well that's an easy no sale in my book

Reading over the bits cut,many I remember fondly and always laughed at whenever I caught the episodes on tv. So the fact that some of my most memorable moments are gone,makes it all the more a worthless set.

Now what is with the Time Life dvds I keep hearing about? How many were there? How many episodes per set? How many episodes on the "History" set? Did any included subtitles at the very least?

If the 'time life' sets were just those bleh VHS releases from years ago. I can live without them,since many episodes I loved were not included in them.

And what is this about Comedy Central? Do they actually air reruns of the show now? I know MTV2 airs it sometime. But unfortunately from what I have seen. They just kept reairing the same 20 episodes they did near the end of the shows run. Basically all the hilarious/better early/middle material was forgotten and they only aired later half episodes. Some were funny,but they were raran into the ground on MTV that I stopped watching it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.