Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Beavis & Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection Vol. 1 11.08.05

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Julie Walker
So no captions or subtitles and cut episodes? Well that's an easy no sale in my book

Reading over the bits cut,many I remember fondly and always laughed at whenever I caught the episodes on tv. So the fact that some of my most memorable moments are gone,makes it all the more a worthless set.

Now what is with the Time Life dvds I keep hearing about? How many were there? How many episodes per set? How many episodes on the "History" set? Did any included subtitles at the very least?

If the 'time life' sets were just those bleh VHS releases from years ago. I can live without them,since many episodes I loved were not included in them.

And what is this about Comedy Central? Do they actually air reruns of the show now? I know MTV2 airs it sometime. But unfortunately from what I have seen. They just kept reairing the same 20 episodes they did near the end of the shows run. Basically all the hilarious/better early/middle material was forgotten and they only aired later half episodes. Some were funny,but they were raran into the ground on MTV that I stopped watching it.
The Time Life sets had close to 100 episodes through the 6 disc collection. The episodes are all intact and the video quality is probably the same that you will get with this butchered set plus the funny stuff. There are some episodes that i longed for that were never included, but overall the Time Life series filled a big void in my collection. That coupled with the History of Beavis and Butthead covered many of the available episodes. Of the 40 episodes included on this new set only 14 have not ever been released. Most of the episodes have been "tainted" one way or another.
Old 11-08-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike Judge can go to Hell for doing this! It is so completely unnecessary it defies belief.
Old 11-08-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To hell in a hand basket.
Old 11-08-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just found another rather large cut. In the episode "Manners Suck" the last part where Beavis and Butthead try to sweet talk their poop to come out has been excised in the "Director's Cut". The part is at the end of the episode after the fight. The episode ends abruptly while B&B are laughing. In the Time Life release that whole part is there in its entirety. Thanks for nothing Mike Judge. You really shit on this product for no real reason.
Old 11-08-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Malign
EVERYTHING!!!! Political Correctness is the real pragmatic and applied religion in this country today, and those who do not adopt or quest the "ethics" of Political Correctness are pilloried in public like heretics for their "thought crimes" .
You missed something in that post. The original poster misspelled PoliCical correctness, and the second poster was making fun of that
Old 11-08-05, 06:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I just found another rather large cut. In the episode "Manners Suck" the last part where Beavis and Butthead try to sweet talk their poop to come out has been excised in the "Director's Cut".
..and I already mentioned that it was re-inserted as an easter egg in the first disc. Click on the remote on the menu screen, press down three, times, highlighting the lightning bolt, and voila.
Old 11-08-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cinemaddiction
..and I already mentioned that it was re-inserted as an easter egg in the first disc. Click on the remote on the menu screen, press down three, times, highlighting the lightning bolt, and voila.
Sorry that I double posted it. I tried to scan all of the earlier posts to see if it was mentioned but I never saw it. This thread is getting really long so I went ahead and posted it anyway. Also, thanks for letting me know about the easter egg. It does make the cut rather pointless as far as the set goes. I did notice a trend with this set compared to the Time Life collection. Most of the "director's cuts" are previously released Time Life episodes. I wonder if there is something in their licensing (between MTV & Time Life) that prohibited this collection from having the exact same episodes (content and all) therefore forcing Mike Judge to go in there and cut out bits that he would hope people wouldn't notice. There are a few episodes that were never released so that makes me believe that this is probably not true, but you never know the real reasoning behind this.
Old 11-08-05, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My roommate got the set so i was able to check it out. The 11 Videos claim is a little misleading as the Hum video only lasts about 10 seconds. I watched the retrospective and it was pretty good. There is one part in it that i found interesting. The animation director was talking about the fire debacle and how they had to go back and take out the fire references out of some of the episodes. She goes on to talk about how she hated to go back to make cuts and "ruin" the episodes. I wonder how she feels about this set.
Old 11-08-05, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
I thought I could live with the cuts, but I'm just pissed that I sold my Time Life set. I've stuck this set on ebay. Screw this, I'll wait or just go without. I have enough other DVDs.
Old 11-08-05, 09:20 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Madame Blavatsky:

* In the aired episode, the fortune teller says "Oh, its the end of the world" twice. The DC removes one of them. These are the dumbest edits ever. Could he really not function in society with her saying the line twice?

* Ok, I was wrong. THIS is the dumbest cut ever. At the end of the episode B&B get into a fight. As aired, Butt-Head slaps Beavis. Beavis slaps him back. Then Butt-Head slaps him back. The DC removes Beavis's slap and has Butt-Head hit him twice.
Old 11-08-05, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
Madame Blavatsky:

* In the aired episode, the fortune teller says "Oh, its the end of the world" twice. The DC removes one of them. These are the dumbest edits ever. Could he really not function in society with her saying the line twice?

* Ok, I was wrong. THIS is the dumbest cut ever. At the end of the episode B&B get into a fight. As aired, Butt-Head slaps Beavis. Beavis slaps him back. Then Butt-Head slaps him back. The DC removes Beavis's slap and has Butt-Head hit him twice.
These rather strange cuts make me lean towards believing that Time Life just might hold a licensing agreement with MTV that doesnt allow them to release the exact cuts of the episodes that they have released.
Old 11-08-05, 09:31 PM
Suspended

Rabies Scare:

* This episode has all kinds of timing changes throughout. Some shorter, some longer.

* When B&B get to the hospital, the nurse says "Can I help you?". Makes sense, right? A nurse might say that when you walk up to the desk. The DC deletes this line.
Old 11-08-05, 09:47 PM

Even putting aside the question of cuts, this set is pretty disappointing. I haven't compared with the Time-Life set (which I kept), but the picture quality looks like it was transferred from VHS or something.

Sad treatment for one of the greatest shows ever. I may have to dig out my VHS of all the "banned" episodes.
Old 11-08-05, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike Judge pulled a John K.

Shameful.

I was going to buy this set until i heard about these inane cuts. I don't care if Time-Life had an agreement or not, do the show right or not at all. I'm tired of being handed edit jobs like this one and expected to be satisfied that its on DVD.

I don't own anymore "In Living Color", any "Tom and Jerry", and i refuse to buy anything "Ren & Stimpy" anymore simply because of edits and being jerked around.
Old 11-09-05, 07:12 AM

I'm glad I have my Time-Life and History of Beavis and Butthead plus a lot of VHS tapes of them. I got this set yesterday and there are noticeable cuts. The extras are good, but am pretty disapointed. There is going to be a Vol 2 sometime in 2006, so we can only assume they are going to be more directors cuts in that one too.
Old 11-09-05, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the set last night, and I think it's great. I love the artwork. I guess I'm fortunate I can live with cuts.
Old 11-09-05, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Mike Judge pulled a John K.

I'm tired of being handed edit jobs like this one and expected to be satisfied that its on DVD.
Uh huh huh, you said hand job, uh huh huh.

It would have been nice if they had released a one disc version of this set containing only the "new to dvd" episodes, videos, and special features for those of us that have the TL discs and the History of.
Old 11-09-05, 08:16 AM

Just Tell Me One Thing Flat Out????

Does this DVD set have the music videos 'IN' each episode, or are they cut out? I mean, do they have the few sections an episode where they sit on the couch and comment on the videos in between antics?? If it doesn't have the music videos 'IN' the episodes, I won't be buying it. So I want to know, this way I'm not wasting money.

Can anyone answer me that please??

Just say 'yes' or 'no.'
Old 11-09-05, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts
Originally Posted by WEEZER08274MH
Does this DVD set have the music videos 'IN' each episode, or are they cut out? I mean, do they have the few sections an episode where they sit on the couch and comment on the videos in between antics?? If it doesn't have the music videos 'IN' the episodes, I won't be buying it. So I want to know, this way I'm not wasting money.

Can anyone answer me that please??

Just say 'yes' or 'no.'
No.
Old 11-09-05, 08:34 AM

There are 11 (I think) music videos on the 3rd disc. I was up in the air about buying it, but decided to buy it partly because of the free book you get at Best Buy. I have it, but haven't seen it in years.
Old 11-09-05, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3
It would have been nice if they had released a one disc version of this set containing only the "new to dvd" episodes, videos, and special features for those of us that have the TL discs and the History of.
Yeah, because other than that, they have really been concerned with what the customers want in this release.
Old 11-09-05, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I wonder if that rumored "Mike Judge Edition" of Office Space (which may never come to DVD, but he's mentioned it a few times) will alter the film in any way. After all these changes, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 11-09-05, 09:11 AM

If he does alter it, I'm definetely not buying. I have the original version of Office Space and the box set w/ flair. How freaking hard would it be to just release the original versions of Beavis and Butthead on DVD in season sets. I understand that having the music videos in there would be a problem, but it would not be hard to release season sets with extras. Me and several others would be waiting in line to get that. These directors cuts are bs and are uncalled for.
Old 11-09-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Can someone clue me in on these music video issues? If the show was able to play all the videos during their airing on MTV, why can't the same be done on the release? Does it have to do with the fact that the videos, in a sense, would be "sold" also to the public and they would want a cut of the profit?
Old 11-09-05, 09:25 AM

Mike Judge would have to pay the artists and get their permission to include the videos for the release. It can get quite expensive.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.