DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Beavis & Butthead: The Mike Judge Collection Vol. 1 11.08.05

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-05, 09:29 AM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
If the show was able to play all the videos during their airing on MTV, why can't the same be done on the release?
I think the problem is that when the original contracts were signed for television, TV-on-DVD wasn't on the horizon (thus, licensing for DVDs is not in their contracts). So they would have to renegotiate contracts for DVD, which becomes prohibitively expensive. It is why shows like 'Wonder Years' will likely never see the light of day on DVD. But they already have the television contracts already signed, so are free to play them over and over.
Old 11-09-05, 09:33 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Can someone clue me in on these music video issues? If the show was able to play all the videos during their airing on MTV, why can't the same be done on the release? Does it have to do with the fact that the videos, in a sense, would be "sold" also to the public and they would want a cut of the profit?
I may be wrong, but I think MTV has (had?) some sort of blanket deal where they can use just about any music they want in their shows. It was the reason they've always have all the latest hit songs in Real World or any other show they aired.

I found this:
Fortunately since MTV has access to any music tracks of artists appearing on the network, paying high prices for music rights to tunes used in shows is avoided.
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl..._97737079/pg_2

These blanket rights won't translate over to other formats. I believe some of their other shows had music changed for DVD as well.
Old 11-09-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Were rights a problem with VHS releases of shows as well or has this just now become such a big problem with the tv on dvd growth?
Old 11-09-05, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only thing that pisses me off, is how Mike Judge says he won't release the stuff he thinks sucks. I want them all.
Old 11-09-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the set, there was a little note from Mike Judge about this first set being "the first of the 2/3rds of those videos", saying these were hand-picked by him as being the good ones. does that mean he's only going to release what he believes to be the decent episodes -- in other words, only one more set coming?
Old 11-09-05, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darmok
in the set, there was a little note from Mike Judge about this first set being "the first of the 2/3rds of those videos", saying these were hand-picked by him as being the good ones. does that mean he's only going to release what he believes to be the decent episodes -- in other words, only one more set coming?
Actually, 2 more coming (3 total), but who cares since they're butchered. I'm gonig to just get copies of the complete series will all the videos intact because of this.

On a related note, if he had to edit the ones that didn't suck so heavily, image how much cutting would have to be done the the 1/3 that he actually thought sucked!

Mike Judge's "Director Cuts"
Old 11-09-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by alfonsosoriano
The only thing that pisses me off, is how Mike Judge says he won't release the stuff he thinks sucks. I want them all.
Actually, "Tornado" is one of my B&B faves, and in the new interview on the dvd, they show a second of it and Judge said he wasn't happy with the way the 2 girls looked in that episode. So it may or may not make Vol.2. I would be happy if it did though. Judge thinking that some of his B&B episodes suck, is why people are so unhappy, obviously and why Paramount could never capatilize and make big $$$ off of B&B on dvd.
Old 11-09-05, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh, the whole world has lost its mind. Mike Judge is the leader of the new world (move over, Bush)
Old 11-09-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I'm not into the edits at all but I'll buy the set anyway.
Old 11-09-05, 11:01 AM

Where do I go about buying ALL the episodes with the music videos incorparated in all the episodes. Is there a box set that's a bit older that doesn't have the music videos all edited out?? Could I find them on Ebay or something?? I'd greatly appreciate some help with this.
Old 11-09-05, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WEEZER08274MH
Where do I go about buying ALL the episodes with the music videos incorparated in all the episodes. Is there a box set that's a bit older that doesn't have the music videos all edited out?? Could I find them on Ebay or something?? I'd greatly appreciate some help with this.

There is no official set with all of the episodes, which is why it is so annoying. There are ways to get all of the episodes with videos but it's kind of a don't ask don't tell thing.
Old 11-09-05, 11:07 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Randy Miller III
I wonder if that rumored "Mike Judge Edition" of Office Space (which may never come to DVD, but he's mentioned it a few times) will alter the film in any way. After all these changes, it wouldn't surprise me.
He'll probably cut out the guy making the "Ohhh" face, since that's all lewd and randy and no one likes that scene. Since it doesn't figure into the plot, who cares, right?
Old 11-09-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
He'll probably cut out the guy making the "Ohhh" face, since that's all lewd and randy and no one likes that scene. Since it doesn't figure into the plot, who cares, right?
He would also need to remove the dream sequence of Peter's as it has the oh face and "move to the left". Probably blur out the name of the complex he lives in.
Old 11-09-05, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I paid a good clean $30 for the set and now, without my knowledge, I just found out about a Fye and Saturday Matinee exclusive holiday bonus disc. Dang....just great!

Anybody know what is on this bonus disc?
Old 11-09-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think there are the two X-Mas episodes, IIRC.
Old 11-09-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those Christmas episode are on the Time Life set so your not missing that much.
Old 11-09-05, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, so I missed out on this bonus disc and the Best Buy "Huh-Huh Hollywood" booklet, as Beavis says, this sucks. Still would be nice to have for collecting sake.
Old 11-09-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

[watching a Donny Osmond video]
Butt-head: Did you know that their dad, Lee Harvey Osmond, like, killed one of the Presidents or something?
Beavis: And I heard the entire Osmond family's a bunch of Morons.
Butt-head: It's Mormons, buttwipe. Those are those dudes who come up to your house on their bicycles.
Beavis: Is this the Moron Tabernacle Choir?
Butt-head: I hate this Moron music.

It is true that the best lines were uttered during "video watching"
Old 11-09-05, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

broke down last night and bought the FYE set with the bonus holiday disc. despite being an edited set, it's the only way for me to get the episodes i don't already have. thank you for the reminder about this offer, i was almost going to go the bestbuy route.
Old 11-10-05, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

anybody hear anything about at what point in 2006 will Mike Judge probably release Vol.2?
Old 11-11-05, 12:01 AM

After this crappy release, I really am not looking forward to the next release. Unless he releases them UNCUT (which will never happen), I'm probably not going to get the next one.
Old 11-11-05, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
It is true that the best lines were uttered during "video watching"
It's true IMO. I think the music videos are the best part of the dvd. They're brief, unfortunately, but they're hilarious. I especially love the video where Butt-head starts imitating Beavis' voice. In my opinion the videos were always the best part of Beavis and Butt-head since the series began.

Despite the director's cut, I'm not disappointed in the dvd. I enjoyed it. Could've been better, obviously, but oh well. It's just Beavis and Butt-head.
Old 11-11-05, 08:18 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Johny Boy
. . . It's just Beavis and Butt-head.
Some of us apparently feel a little more strongly than you do about this very historic series. I am certainly one of those people. I was very much looking forward to this (and the future releases). Sadly, this won't happen as I will not be placing some trashed version on my shelf and calling it good.
Old 11-11-05, 08:37 AM

Yeah the videos were an important part of the show. I watched Beavis and Butthead way too much when it was on tv to know that. On of my favorite lines was in Winger's Seventeen video "His teeth are whiter than white". I'm glad I taped a good amount of B+B when it was on tv so I can watch them uncut with the videos.
Old 11-11-05, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does this set at least have all of Beavis' references to "FIRE!" put back in?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.