Take the MST3K DVD poll...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What about the movie??
Old 07-11-05, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I love the earlier Joel episodes, I have a feeling that Rhino might have a hard time getting them released. I'll go through the episode guide and vote for some of those.

In the meantime, among the later season episodes that I loved:

903 - Puma Man
910 - Final Sacrifice
911 - Devil Fish
1001 - Soultaker
1008 - Final Justice
Old 07-11-05, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm a Mike guy, and most of my favorites are from season 8:

805 - The Thing That Couldn't Die
807 - Terror From the Year 5000
809 - I Was a Teenage Werewolf
814 - Riding With Death
903 - Puma Man!
Old 07-11-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
We should probably steer away from voting on some of those though... since more than likely the rights would be impossible to get.
The best episodes to vote for would be the ones with known Public Domain titles, that way there are no rights issues for Rhino to have to deal with. (Something that Rhino seems to has figured out, because the last few MST3K Boxed Sets were mostly comprised of Public Domain titles.)

This is a compiled list of all episodes that featured Public Domain movies:
http://www.geocities.com/vanhagar3000/MST3K_PDlist.html
Old 07-11-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by calhoun07
What about the movie??
Damn I didnt even think about that. I don't think they have the rights anymore though.
Old 07-11-05, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
This is one of things I don't understand. They used TV sydication versions of many movies. Do they have to clear the rights with the person that owns the sydicated version and with the studio that owns the film rights?
That depends on what you're going to do with it. If the TV syndication and video rights are held by different parties, you'd have to clear it with the correct rights holder. You can't just get a TV broadcast license and use that to distribute a video. If you want to distribute a video, you have to go to the video rights holder.

DJ
Old 07-11-05, 07:41 PM

Because I couldn't vote for Riding With Death five times, I also put in for Laserblast, The Incredible Melting Man (I love the argument during the end credits), Leech Woman... Some other one.

I don't know why they haven't released all the public domains. Gila Monster and tons of season 3/4 episodes are PD for sure.
Old 07-11-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Now I see why we got all those Hercules films last set looking at the public domain list. One I'm confused about is Gorgo. It was one that was rarely shown on TV. The rumor was because of rights issues. However, its listed as public domain. Bit confusing there unless the version they used was one of those weird syndicated cuts that someone had the rights to.
Old 07-11-05, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Now I see why we got all those Hercules films last set looking at the public domain list. One I'm confused about is Gorgo. It was one that was rarely shown on TV. The rumor was because of rights issues. However, its listed as public domain. Bit confusing there unless the version they used was one of those weird syndicated cuts that someone had the rights to.
Gorgo is a real head-scratcher on this. I've seen it listed as a Public Domain title at some places, and I've seen claims that it really isn't in the Public Domain. It's hard to say which it is without a lot more research, but I think until sure about a particular title, it's best to assume that it is not in the Public Domain.
Old 07-12-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by naitram
I'm a Mike guy, and most of my favorites are from season 8
Same here. Got into MST3K in late '97/early '98, and all the episodes I've seen are from the Mike Years. Love him.

It was an incredible challenge figuring out which episodes to vote for. I want so many of them. Finally settled on the following:
  • Parts: The Clonus Horror (811)
  • Riding with Death (814)
  • Puma Man (903)
  • Werewolf (904)
  • The Space Children with the short Century 21 Calling (906)

Can you go back and vote multiple times? When you return to the polling page after making your selections, it comes back up as if you haven't voted.

If the episodes shown for the poll are all potentially available for future DVD releases, I would also choose--well, I was going to list a number of them, but what I really want is everything from seasons eight, nine, and ten.

--THX
Old 07-12-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would be so happy if I could just get Master Ninja I(322) and Master Ninja 2(324)
Old 07-12-05, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Aw man, am I the only one that voted for for "Secret Agent...[horn] [horn]...Super Dragon"?
Old 07-12-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ToddSm66
I would be so happy if I could just get Master Ninja I(322) and Master Ninja 2(324)
You and me and probably thousands of MSTies around the planet, but because of the Sandy Frank factor, there's a good chance it will never happen.

Public domain makes it easier for Rhino to release a MSTied film but even if it isn't, it doesn't make it impossible. I do wish someone had a list of the Sandy Frank owned episodes because those will *never* be releaseable. I know that Master Ninja is one and most of the Japanese monster films are some others. FWIW, I picked:

Night of the Blood Beast
Werewolf
Laserblast
Death Stalker
Outlaw

I'm very big on the abbreviated season 7 eps. Outside of The Brute Man which was a tad weak, they're five of the best ten episodes of the series IMHO.
Old 07-12-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by JesseCuster
I do wish someone had a list of the Sandy Frank owned episodes because those will *never* be releaseable.
All the Gameras, all the Godzillas, Time of the Apes, Fugitive Alien, Star Force: Fugitive Alien 2, Mighty Jack... I don't know how the licenses work, if Sandy Frank still controls those movies, if there's another hurdle...
Old 07-12-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wish they'd release Deathstalker III just so I could finally complete my Deathstalker DVD collection.
Old 08-07-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
...and the results are in...
Old 08-07-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh yeah, Final Sacrifice got #2. Bring on Rowsdower!
Old 08-07-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The results are a bit disappointing. The results are far too slanted towards SciFi Channel episodes, which are already relatively easy to get on the Internet with the best picture quality available. While Comedy Central episodes from the heyday of the show tend to be further down on the list, and those tend to not have the best picture out on the Internet.
Old 08-07-05, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Well, I was previously dismayed to see I was the only one who ever seemed to appreciate the episode Untamed Youth. Now, I see I'm one of 73 people. Whoopee.

I guess that means the only way I'll ever see it again is if they release every other possible episode first, and then I might see it on the very last box set...probably as a well-hidden easter egg.
Old 08-07-05, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the Mike episodes came out very well in the poll. I'll take what I can get, but as noted we already have pretty good copies of the Sci-Fi stuff on the net so any Comedy Central stuff we can get is gold.

That said, Puma Man is a great episode and I would be thrilled to see it as part of the new set.

I also love the Diabolik episode and that one scored high as well.
Old 08-08-05, 03:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Nothing at all against MIKE, in fact He's Great! However, I really want more JOEL at this point. Would they cost more? Then charge more and manufacture less by making them limited edition releases. Watch them sell out immediately!!!
Old 08-08-05, 03:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhmac
The results are a bit disappointing. The results are far too slanted towards SciFi Channel episodes, which are already relatively easy to get on the Internet with the best picture quality available. While Comedy Central episodes from the heyday of the show tend to be further down on the list, and those tend to not have the best picture out on the Internet.
Perhaps fans of the SciFi era want to support Best Brains by buying legal DVD copies of their favorite episodes.
Old 08-08-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps fans of the SciFi era want to support Best Brains by buying legal DVD copies of their favorite episodes.
True MST3K fans will always plunk down money for new sets, however, the show was built on the basis of tape trading and circulating the episodes so there is nothing wrong with the DAP and downloading episodes. I think the point he was making was most of us that already have every single episode would love to replace our older episodes first with DVDs. Nothing wrong with buying Sci-Fi episodes, but since those are the most recent recordings they look the best. We all cross our fingers hoping to replace the older recordings first.
Old 08-08-05, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you're a fan of the show, you're going to buy whatever comes out, so why would buying one over a different one be supporting Best Brains?

It surprises me that the Sci-Fi/Mike era won so heavily; I thought they had lost a lot of fans, by that point. [I would've said they should do a poll "More Joel episodes or more Mike episodes?" but now I'd be scared.] But my single favorite episode (other than 'Pod People', which is out already) was in the Top 15, which isn't too bad; back when it was still on Comedy Central, it didn't even crack the Top 20, but I guess time has been nice to it.

Also, I'm really surprised to see 'Crawling Eye' place so high, unless it was just people saying "Oh, I need a 5th, I'll just pick the first episode."
Old 08-08-05, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The_Infidel
Well, I was previously dismayed to see I was the only one who ever seemed to appreciate the episode Untamed Youth. Now, I see I'm one of 73 people. Whoopee.
Don't feel bad; from what I understand, *nobody* likes 'Hamlet' (other than me), and that got a release.

Even I will acknowledge that it's really frustrating that it gets better and better as it goes along, and right when they're really getting into it, it ends.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.