Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Wizard of Oz (2 and 3 disc SE's) 10.25.05

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-05, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
and the weirdest thing about the DSOTM album sync up is that it still has a lot of things that seemingly match for the second play through. You can get a list of lyrics vs on screen happening on several websites. Its always been weird that it synced to me, even more so, that it can repeat and still sync.

there is also some debate that a 6 second pause is needed on the music during the movie...this was the supposed time it took for an record player to flip to the b-side...and then a second 6 second delay for the second pass through...so if your making your own copy, take that in to consideration
Thanks. I tried playing it and the movie but wouldn't sync up. I'll give it another shot.
thanks
Old 11-03-05, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just remember to have the cd cued at 0:00 pause it, set the cd player to continuous replay. wait for the lion to roar for the third time and startthe cd. You should be able to tell if its a perfect sync when Speak to Me goes into Breathe it times perfectly with the credit for producer Mervyn LeRoy.

be familiar with the lyrics. try http://members.cox.net/stegokitty/ds...itive_list.htm for a good list of sync ups to look for.
Old 11-05-05, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
just remember to have the cd cued at 0:00 pause it, set the cd player to continuous replay. wait for the lion to roar for the third time and startthe cd. You should be able to tell if its a perfect sync when Speak to Me goes into Breathe it times perfectly with the credit for producer Mervyn LeRoy.
Far out man, I haven't done that in awhile. Sounds like some fun for this weekend while Miss Mary Jane is around.
Old 11-15-05, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well i opened up my 3-discer and popped it in. I started getting a clicking noise in the audio throughout the movie. I cut to just my tv speakers and it was still there...i tried another disc and had no problems and back to TWOZ and the clicking was there again....anybody else had this problem....

I'm going to try another copy, but just wondering if anyone else had heard it.
Old 11-16-05, 12:43 AM
Cool New Member

Cameron,
My condolences, but all you've got is a defective copy.
My disc is sheer perfection...as is everyone else's I know who has one.
Get an exchange, and prepare for an amazing journey!
Old 11-16-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

already swapped it, and just finished the feature...better than i could imagine....this is going to be in my top ten for the year already....wow

just started in on the features, I should get a better look at those tommorow
Old 04-08-06, 06:48 AM

I waited to buy my R2 UK edition,
2 disk edition with singing slip case £4.99 ($8)
3 disk edition £7.99 ($13) & missing the 1933 cartoon
I was rather sad and purchased both as I wanted the singing slip and the extra artwork, disk 3 is a waste of space.
Photos of what came in the box here "The Wizard of Oz"
Old 04-08-06, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So, how good is this new three disc set? I ask because I have the original Wizard of Oz on dvd (one disc), and the special features on that were really good and informative to me.
Old 04-08-06, 01:48 PM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PacMan2006, if those extras are enough for you, you should spring for the new 2-disc version (the 3-disc is for psycho-fans like me) for the upgraded transfer; if you're open to more extras because of how good those on the first disc are, then hell yes, the 3-disc is the way to go!
Old 04-08-06, 02:04 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
So, how good is this new three disc set? I ask because I have the original Wizard of Oz on dvd (one disc), and the special features on that were really good and informative to me.
To make up your mind, I recommend you read all of page 10 of this thread. The pluses: new, bolder stereo mix, better colour registration (digital alignment) and a lot of new groovy extras (see page 10 for details). The minuses: The first one-disc edition shows more of the picture on conventional, overscanned TV sets and it has an invaluable booklet - that you should never part with - that helps you make sense of the hours and hours of recordings in the extras.
Old 04-08-06, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks guys.
Old 04-09-06, 07:02 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PacMan2006
Thanks guys.
Please be warned, though, that when the restorers realigned the three colour elements electronically (in Ultra-Resolution), they made colour grading choices favouring yellow over Technicolor's trademark "exaggerated" blue, which means that Dorothy's dress is now lilac-lavender instead or periwinkle blue, her blouse is now dirty-pinkish (which it was in reality) instead of white (which it was supposed to look like on the screen), all vegetation and greens are a little less lush, the sky is a little paler, the cellophane flowers of Munchkindland now look like, well, cellophane flowers - the bloom is off the rose, so to speak - and the famous Technicolor fairy-tale magic has been replaced by some wonk's idea of what reality should look like. On the plus side, the yellow brick road is really, really yellow!

The differences you perceive in the two following screen captures from DVD Beaver ( http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/wizard.htm ) are what you get:

First, the new Ultra-Resolution transfer, shiny as new (copper) penny:

Now, the photochemical-restoration-only from the first Warner edition: Note how the Tin Man is a little less rusty, the sky is a little denser, the green leaves and the blue haze scattered over the poppies jump at you and carry your gaze, uninterrupted, all the way to Emerald City - which no longer has the piss-stain of a urinal cake, the grass patch on the horizon is a little less pukish, the reappearance of the yellow brick road at the end of the poppy patch is a little clearer and the edges show more information. (The differences in Dorothy's dress flow, the "smiley" face between her shoulder blades, her obscured left calf and the glimmer on her right shoe can only be explained by the fact that these captures show very similar but different frames. Everything "north" of the hazy pit on top of Scarecrow's hat and "east" of the birch tree at Tin Man's right is a matte painting, by the way.)

It's a very subjective thing but I get more "movie magic" (call it a heightened sense of unreality) from the old transfer.

Last edited by baracine; 04-09-06 at 08:27 AM.
Old 04-09-06, 08:46 AM
Banned

Location: Right now, my location is DVDTalk, but then again, you should already know that, shouldn't you?
Subjective is right--what you call a urinal cake piss stain, for my buck, looks a lot more like what is implied by the word "emerald".
Old 04-09-06, 08:54 AM

They did say in the "restoration" documentary that the digital cleaning had a bit of a problem with the sparkly red of the shoes, and removed it as a colour error. Maybe they just forgot to "unclean" them in that shot (or you chose a frame they weren't bright in).

Last edited by sarah99; 04-09-06 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-09-06, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
Subjective is right--what you call a urinal cake piss stain, for my buck, looks a lot more like what is implied by the word "emerald".
Sorry, nope. Emerald = green plus blue, hold the mustard.
Old 04-09-06, 09:03 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by sarah99
They did say in the "restoration" documentary that the digital cleaning had a bit of a problem with the sparkly red of the shoes, and removed it as a colour error. Maybe they just forgot to "unclean" them in that shot (or you chose a frame they weren't bright in).
That would bolster my argument but, no, they're two different frames. (The lion's tail is also higher in the first capture.)

Last edited by baracine; 04-09-06 at 09:08 AM.
Old 04-09-06, 09:13 AM

but alternatively
I always find movies to be dark on a PC using the "original" power DVD settings on a LCD, so I play them in "vivid" which seems much closer to a TV viewing experience.

Looks fine to me!

Last edited by sarah99; 04-09-06 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-09-06, 09:29 AM
Suspended

but alternatively
I always find movies to be dark on a PC using the "original" power DVD settings on a LCD, so I play them in "vivid" which seems much closer to a TV viewing experience.

Looks fine to me!
Also known as "torch mode"... Ouch! My eyes! Please don't do that. You have already destroyed your eyesight and any subtle difference between the two versions I might expand upon is totally lost on you... (Dig the dark patch on Judy's back - a shit stain to go with the piss stain!) The whole idea of modern technological improvements is to get away from the TV experience (which leaves an electron shower imprint of your head on the wall behind you) toward a more realistic, graded and subtle "movie theatre" experience.

Last edited by baracine; 04-09-06 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-09-06, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by baracine
Sorry, nope. Emerald = green plus blue, hold the mustard.
This site indicates that yellow has interplay with the final resulting color that is emerald, not to get hung up on too fine a point:

http://webexhibits.org/pigments/indi...e/emerald.html
Old 04-09-06, 10:57 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Filmmaker
This site indicates that yellow has interplay with the final resulting color that is emerald, not to get hung up on too fine a point:

http://webexhibits.org/pigments/indi...e/emerald.html
Not to get hung up on too fine a point, indeed! The same site describes the colour thus (http://webexhibits.org/pigments/indi...emerald.html):
Unusually brilliant blue-green to green colour with fair hiding power.
The paint colour contains copper and therefore may show a tinge of yellow - like most man-made green pigments since the Renaissance, but not the stone itself:

The important point is that the Technicolor process skewed all colours towards the blue end of their spectrum. That is why a white blouse would have come out pale blue and Judy Garland actually wore a pinkish one on the set so it would register as white and not somebody-mixed-the menstrual-stained-undies-with-the whites colour of the Ultra-Resolution version.

Last edited by baracine; 04-09-06 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-09-06, 11:05 AM
Banned

If one wants to watch Wizard of Oz and listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon at what scene does one start the cd?
Old 04-09-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

put the cd on repeat all...wait for the mgm lion to roar for the third time and start the disc. google dark side of the rainbow, and it should give you a list of cues to look for.
Old 01-25-07, 04:17 PM
Suspended

Are you ready for next round of arguments? www.dvdbeaver.com has published a special essay on the respective (de)merits of the two latest DVD versions of The Wizard of Oz¸and they're not too kind to the latest Ultra-Resolution version ( http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/articl..._reactions.htm ):

Warner's 1999 transfer is the first actual restoration, with an immaculate, nearly damage-free appearance; the color can seem a bit subdued at times, partly owing to a relatively high brightness level which, however, yields very transparent detail: e.g., the folds of the Witch’s cloak and the hair that protrudes from beneath her hat, Toto’s eyes and strands of fur, are all wonderfully crisp. Dorothy’s rosy cheeks have a fresh, girlish quality; the copper-based makeup of the Witch’s green face is an accurate, specific shade; and the grass in the Scarecrow’s field is a completely appropriate color. Warner used its somewhat controversial “Ultra-Resolution” process for the 2005 DVD, and certainly the visual results are more opulent, the color close to saturation; the picture has deeper black levels and a great deal of contrast. It is exciting though its seductive splendor can be misleading. The most discernible details are those benefiting from the darker, heavily contrasted picture: in the bonus feature “Prettier than Ever,” the restoration engineers are at pains to point out the more visible weave in the burlap of the Scarecrow’s head (at 1:30:10). Yet, transparency has been sacrificed in brighter scenes. The same details cited as examples in the 1999 DVD are less natural in the 2005 transfer: its darkness obscures the folds of the Witch’s cloak and hair; Toto’s eyes and fur are blurred. The intense color occasionally gives Dorothy’s rosy cheeks the impression of too liberally applied rouge; the Witch’s green makeup is sometimes almost lime-colored; the grass in the Scarecrow’s field is too dark. Details in the 1999 DVD seem clearer because the brighter image and paler color reveal more information.

(...)

Warner claimed that film shrinkage of the color strips at unequal rates over time caused size distortion in the 1999 restoration, asserting that in 2005, it was computer-corrected for perfect alignment. While the brightness and more muted colors do make the 1999 picture seem “soft” at times, there are other instances where it is noticeably sharper than the 2005 image, in which the contrast, augmented black levels, and extreme color cause some blurring. Warner was obviously pitching their “double-dip”; after all, they were proud of the earlier DVD until 2005, never mentioning any difficulty with the transfer.

(...)

The two Warner restorations are so different in concept that there is no clear “winner.” The 2005 “Ultra-Resolution” Oz has vivid Technicolor, an excellent commentary track, the mono sound track (valuable despite 1998 edits), and some new extras. The 1999 transfer has an unzoomed image, often clearer detail, a brilliantly convincing transition from black & white to color, and most of the same extras on its single disc; it also seems less “gimmicky.” The three-disc “Collector’s Edition” is for Oz completists.

The 1999 restoration witch: Perfect!

The 2005 restoration witch: lime green face (green tinged with yellow) and pinkish "white" walls.

I disagree with the author (Robert Seletsky) when he says the latest retoration attempted to "recreate the original Technicolor look". That "look" was more bluish than yellowish, therefore the 1999 restoration gets my vote as being closer to the original.

Last edited by baracine; 01-26-07 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-26-07, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have anyone seen anything in original Technicolor looks anyway? From what I heard the original Technicolor looks have much much less color than the version we saw today. So which restoration version is more accurate I don't think that matter much to me anyway.

However I kinda agree with baracine though - the 1999 restoration version in this picture comparison looks better, but I only have the 2005 DVD so I can't compare the entire film myself.
Old 01-26-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

but alternatively

Looks fine to me!
Absolutely listen to baracine's post below your post. I know nothing about torch mode (I'm also using PowerDVD as one of my software player), but the whole "vivid" color setting makes my eyes cringe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.