Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Wizard of Oz (2 and 3 disc SE's) 10.25.05

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-05, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
The commentary is new (he makes several comments about features on the DVD), but it says the same things as the laserdisc one. Problem is that they intersperse interviews during the commentary so some trivia and comments are missing. I'll have to break out the laserdisc, but one I specifically remember is the explanation why one shot is flipped and blurry is missing because there's a Maggie Hamilton interview during the scene. Also, he does mention the birds in the background being confused for a hanging munchkin, but doesn't point out the actual shot this time. I just remembered another bit missing. When Dorothy slaps the Lion, she cracks up and the new commentary misses the moment because they are playing an interview with Bert Lahr's kids.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 10-30-05 at 02:01 AM.
Old 10-30-05, 08:54 AM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OK, OK! I like the 3-disc set...

I revised my opinion after watching everything and going through the extras of the 3-disc set...

The transfer is acceptable. It's more contrasty and shiny than the previous one, sacrificing some detail, and is a little cropped around the edges but, ultimately, it makes the picture more lively.

The 5.1 surround also seems to be a tad juicier (I could be fooled here: it could be the same remix, only played louder or with more bitrate). It seems to me that some of the off-screen voices have been made more directional, like the witch appearing on the roof, screaming from the right side of the room.

I appreciate the new commentary.

Three of the extras on disc 2 are new to DVD ("The Art of Imagination", "The Legacy of Oz" and the TV special "Memories of Oz") and very well put together. They are the first to mention the influence of the film on "Star Wars" and "The Lord of the Rings". I personnally would have gone further and tred on holy ground by tackling its influence - along with every other major fantasy film of the XXth century (like the 1940 "Thief of Bagdad") - on J.R.R. Tolkien's visual imagination.

The silents on disc 3: Although my Canadian edition is missing the 1933 cartoon (which can be glimpsed for 1 1/2 minutes in the old edition), I found the silents interesting. The 1910 "Wizard of Oz" is simplistic but fun. The two 1914 features ("The Magic Cloak of Oz" and "His Majesty, the Scarecrow of Oz") are almost an hour long each and full of interesting special effects. The latter's piano accompaniment also quotes almost all the surviving Tietjens and Gottschalk music from the various original stage productions, which is a precious document in itself. The special effects are very state-of-the-art for the time. These three were produced by Frank Baum personally, so there's no questioning their authentic Ozian spirit.

The 1925 Larry Semon-Oliver Hardy-Dorothy Dwan vehicle ("The Wizard of Oz") is a typical Hollywood hodge-podge mixing several Baum stories, pulled in several oppposing directions, and not very faithful to the Baum spirit, but it also has interesting special effects, good acting and incredible stunt-work. It also boasts, for good or bad, the first Black Cowardly Lion (Spencer Bell billed as "G. Howe Black" ) - who eventually saves the day. This film was so badly received by the public, by the way, it destroyed Semon's career.

Robert Israel (of "Judex" fame) does his usual good job with the music. This film confirms the many ties between the Baum stories and the 1900 vaudeville tradition. It also shows what the 1939 version could have been like in a parallel universe where no good taste was exercised.

So I will be keeping the old set for comparison purposes and for that tiny bit of the 1933 cartoon but I am grateful for the new set.

Last edited by baracine; 10-31-05 at 09:51 AM.
Old 10-30-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided to keep both versions (for now - sending it off to my mother soon enough) and so looking forward to getting the new 3-disc set for all the glorious extras - not that I'll ever get through them all, but the fact that I own them makes me all too happy).
Old 10-30-05, 02:45 PM
Cool New Member

Despite rumors to the contrary, this new disc most definitely has a new, significantly more aggressive mix. Morevover, it isn't CROPPED! The previous releases revealed information that would have been covered up in traditional projection. It's just right.

I have a friend with a 1970 35mm dye-transfer release print, and the cropping on the print (dye-transfer prints have thick frame lines) matches the way the new DVD looks.

Moreover, the colors not only exactly convey the true sense of the color palette of the films design, as seen in true Technicolor, but also make it so obvious how too cool and blue the old disc was, as well as registrations errors that plagued not only the previous WB issue, but the older and more inferior MGM DVD (the one with no extras).

It is truly a magnificent achievement for those dozens or hundreds of talented and dedicated folks at WB. You can tell they really care and know what they're doing at WB, when it comes to classic theatrical feature films. In that department they have no competition, and leave others, including certain "over-praised" companies in the distant dust.

Last edited by Zvbxrpl; 10-30-05 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-30-05, 05:50 PM

I almost gave up and went for the 2 disc edition due to the steep price of the 3 disc edition. Luckily, on friday I checked Columbia House and they had the 3 disc edition for $23.97! I had checked all week for the price drop and it kept giving me the greater price. I can't wait to get my copy in the mail, this sounds like a great set!
Old 10-30-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I love the 3 disc version. In my opinion, and I know many wont agree with me, it's worth paying the extra money just to have the silent films as well as the documentary on L. Frank Baum.
Old 10-30-05, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
I love the 3 disc version. In my opinion, and I know many wont agree with me, it's worth paying the extra money just to have the silent films as well as the documentary on L. Frank Baum.
I agree with you 100%. For some it comes down to not being able to afford it and that's unfortunate. It's a really nice package that looks great on the shelf.
Old 10-30-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by The Valeyard
"The Origins of Film" is currently Out of Print. I bought the set way back (one of the main reasons being The Patchwork Girl film). Just sad to see this film wasn't a part of this mainstream set.
Patchwork is also available on the Alpha collection (with the other 3 silent Oz films). Presumably not fantastic quality, but still... it'll only put you back 5 or 6 bucks:

http://www.oldies.com/product/view.cfm/id/4831D.html
Old 10-31-05, 09:21 AM
Suspended

My final two cents about the 2 and 3-disc set

Originally Posted by Zvbxrpl
Despite rumors to the contrary, this new disc most definitely has a new, significantly more aggressive mix. Morevover, it isn't CROPPED! The previous releases revealed information that would have been covered up in traditional projection. It's just right.

I have a friend with a 1970 35mm dye-transfer release print, and the cropping on the print (dye-transfer prints have thick frame lines) matches the way the new DVD looks.

Moreover, the colors not only exactly convey the true sense of the color palette of the films design, as seen in true Technicolor, but also make it so obvious how too cool and blue the old disc was, as well as registrations errors that plagued not only the previous WB issue, but the older and more inferior MGM DVD (the one with no extras).

It is truly a magnificent achievement for those dozens or hundreds of talented and dedicated folks at WB. You can tell they really care and know what they're doing at WB, when it comes to classic theatrical feature films. In that department they have no competition, and leave others, including certain "over-praised" companies in the distant dust.
I agree that the registration errors have been corrected, and you are probably right about the "cropping" being the recommended viewing mode, but I also like to see "more than we were supposed to see" and I like the patina of the purely chemical restoration, lower yellow level and all. The previous DVD's image also took into account and compensated for the "natural overscanning" of most traditional 4x3 TV sets.

I have also come to the conclusion, like yourself, that the new sets' 5.1 remix is juiced up and shows more separation than the previous one, possibly because of the inclusion of proto-stereo "angles" for the first time, where possible, and newly directional dialogue and sound effects. I like the new mix a lot.

My main criticism for the new sets has to do with the Jukebox portion - the nearly five hours of recording sessions and underscoring (some of it unused in the movie). It seems to be the same feature present in the previous DVD offering but without the 8-page liner notes booklet titled The Merry Music of Oz - A DVD Audio Supplements Guide, which helped make sense of all those endless takes and retakes.

The booklet listed all the scenes/recording sessions by their chronological number (2019, "Over the Rainbow" vocal, to 2586, "Revised ending of the Main Title"). It also divided each "Button" into each individual scene scored by title - so you knew what you were listening to - and other explanations, like "with and without voices", "final and record speed", etc. It also offered occasional trivia information not contained anywhere else in those two sets. E.g.: In Jukebox Button number 15 [titled "The Road to Oz" in the new sets], recording session 2530, "The Spell", the notes explain how this cut scene shows dialog between the Witch and Nikko about using her golden wishing cap to summon the Winged Monkeys to claim the ruby slippers from the poppy field. It's the only bit of trivia anywhere that explains the witch throwing away her wishing cap before flying away to the Emerald City. [To be fair, these details are also covered in the extensive and very informative 48-page booklet to the Rhino 2-CD set of "The Wizard of Oz" soundtrack album, which is, in fact, a 2-hour distillation of those 5 hours of "raw" recording elements.]

I recommend that serious collectors and music lovers cajole or coerce owners of the previous DVD version to lend them this precious booklet so they can photocopy it. It is an invaluable commodity indeed. As I wouldn't part from it for the world, I am keeping the entire set [whose price just went up again, I'm sure].

Now, wouldn't it be too cool if some computer nerd - or even Warner - scanned this booklet and made it available for download from some website?

Last edited by baracine; 10-31-05 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-31-05, 10:17 AM
Cool New Member

I just got mine today from Columbia House for $23.97 Amazing set. Well worth the few extra dollars.
Old 10-31-05, 10:26 PM

Booklet??

Baracine wrote: "It seems to be the same feature present in the previous DVD offering but without the 8-page liner notes booklet titled The Merry Music of Oz - A DVD Audio Supplements Guide"

My previous DVD of Oz (came out 5 or 6 years ago) didn't have any such booket. This booklet was in the old cardboard packaging? I sure would like to see it. Thanks.

Last edited by Hermey the Elf; 10-31-05 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Quoting Baracine
Old 10-31-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hermey the Elf
My previous DVD of Oz (came out 5 or 6 years ago) didn't have any such booket. This booklet was in the old cardboard packaging? I sure would like to see it. Thanks.
There was a second "Oz" release between yours and this new SE.
Old 11-01-05, 01:08 AM

I read the last few pages and didn't see whether or not this DVD is the original theatrical version or the one with extra scenes released a few years ago. On the first page it said it will be the original, but that was months ago and things change.
Old 11-01-05, 08:22 PM

It is the same film as has been since 1939. I don't think any extra scenes have ever been reincorporated back in the film proper, just new stereo. The extra scene (Scarecrow dance) has always been a supplement. There are no other extant scenes.
Old 11-01-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

for refrence

the original dvd from mgm

the Warner Disc with good extras

The Warner Deluxe with shooting script

and of course the new two disc

and three disc

Last edited by Cameron; 11-02-05 at 12:03 PM.
Old 11-02-05, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Salty
There was a second "Oz" release between yours and this new SE.
Yes, there was that Creative Designs version with the 1999 release and some other things packed with it.
Old 11-02-05, 08:11 AM
Suspended

There was also this "Deluxe" edition complete with shooting script:

Old 11-02-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thats why i love you guys...I added the other pic, but i can't find the creative designs set anywhere. Not listed at dvdaff and not on amazon marketplace. I have seen several other titles in the large black boxes, and smaller silver boxes but never Oz
Old 11-02-05, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
thats why i love you guys...I added the other pic, but i can't find the creative designs set anywhere. Not listed at dvdaff and not on amazon marketplace. I have seen several other titles in the large black boxes, and smaller silver boxes but never Oz
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...563853-0530418
Old 11-02-05, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yah i saw that and added it, but was there yet another release?
Old 11-02-05, 01:41 PM

Has anyone made a disc with the Super Audio 5.1 Floyd album and the new remaster of the movie. I think the two together all perfectly synced up would be great.
Also I heard that once the album finishes you are supposed to play Meddle then some of Animals or vice versa. Anyone know about this??
b.

Mods please delete this post if it is out of line.
Old 11-02-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The BB here in Va does not carry the 3 disk version. I asked they why not and they said they don't know. Good answer huh.
Old 11-02-05, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Celtic Bob
Has anyone made a disc with the Super Audio 5.1 Floyd album and the new remaster of the movie. I think the two together all perfectly synced up would be great.
Also I heard that once the album finishes you are supposed to play Meddle then some of Animals or vice versa. Anyone know about this??
b.

Mods please delete this post if it is out of line.
It probably wouldn't line up anymore. Some of the song lengths are different on the SACD version. Also, no one has "broken" SACD to be able to make a disc. You'd still have to play them both separately.
Old 11-02-05, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

and the weirdest thing about the DSOTM album sync up is that it still has a lot of things that seemingly match for the second play through. You can get a list of lyrics vs on screen happening on several websites. Its always been weird that it synced to me, even more so, that it can repeat and still sync.

there is also some debate that a 6 second pause is needed on the music during the movie...this was the supposed time it took for an record player to flip to the b-side...and then a second 6 second delay for the second pass through...so if your making your own copy, take that in to consideration
Old 11-03-05, 12:17 AM

I still need to pick up the 3 disc set. I went all around last week and the only place that carried it was Target, unfortunately they were sold out. I try again this weekend.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.