Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Evil Dead 2 - Book of the Dead Edition

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darkside
Well, I bought the first smelly book of the dead so why not double dip on Evil Dead 2.
yay
Old 06-03-05, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wouldn't a button on the cover of a dvd be constantly pressed if it was on a shelf between two other dvds?
Old 06-03-05, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LikeMiamiVice
isnt that a little bit of an exageration?

i picked up mine the day it was released and none of the others on the shelf at best buy had that stink

The ones here had "the stink"...which is one of the reasons why i never bought it (that and my Elite Edition is just fine).

Perhaps we should classiify these stinky books as "OMG L@@K OOP RARE HTF SMELLY EVIL DEAD BOTD DVD"?

I like the Evil Dead movies, but there are other movies i'd rather buy that i don't already own on DVD.
Old 06-03-05, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by [b
smackattack[/b] ]Mine doesnt smell at all now unless you do lines on it.
Yay lines off of a DVD cover, Ive free based off a disc before but never lines off a case, good idea.

P.S. can anyone tell me how to bold the original posters name, cant get it to work.

Last edited by Heartagram; 06-03-05 at 01:02 AM.
Old 06-03-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the original mono audio is included. I would considering possibly rebuying this new release. If not,then I will pretty much avoid it at all costs and be happy with what I have

Now if the or I should I say when The Evil Dead is rereleased. They better include the original mono mix,along with the 1:33:1 unmatted version,and if they include a widescreen version,matte it to 1:66:1(which might be more tolerable than the current 1:85:1 crop).
Old 06-03-05, 02:43 AM

Will without a doubt double dip... Don't know that I need the book version, I'm sure there will be a barebones edition just like the first. I would love to see a new transfer but more importantly a new mix. I don't know much about this stuff, so maybe someone can help, but to this day, through several system upgrades, I've thought that the Anchor Bay edition (the most recent one) sounded horrible. Maybe it was the source, but there's just something wrong with the sound, especially the dialogue, that I can't put my finger on.
Old 06-03-05, 10:09 AM

I bought the first book of the dead maybe a year after it was available and I couldn't smell it unless I was less than a foot away from it.

I'm assuming the second book will be similiar, and since I don't sleep with them on my nightstand, I don't think it'll be a problem.
Old 06-03-05, 03:25 PM

Great news!

I bought a cheap $0.49 plate display holder to showcase my Evil Dead 1 BOTD edition, this one will look great sitting next to it.
Old 06-03-05, 09:40 PM
Cool New Member

"there's just something wrong with the sound, especially the dialogue, that I can't put my finger on."

The dialogue in the film has a "clipped" sound to it-- less dynamic range than, say, the music or some sound effects. Perhaps the voice recording was sourced from optical tracks and the music and such from mag tracks (which tend to have a more robust sound).

The soundtrack on the Anchor Bay disc is also pitched a little higher than it should be. Listen to Ash during his "There's something out there," speech. It's almost like the dreaded PAL speedup on region 2 discs!

-Robbie
Old 06-03-05, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,188 Likes on 4,215 Posts
Somehow I felt compelled to post in this thread even though I have no opinion about this movie

Old 06-03-05, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You really should put "Watch Evil Dead 2" a little higher up on the "to do" list.
Old 06-05-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've at one point had the Evil Dead:SE and then got hold of the BOTD,and bought it and it has 2 extra features(Can't remember what) that isn't on the regular edition. My BOTD doesn't stink,and it fits fine on my shelf. I love it and can't wait for ED2 and hopefully AOD too.
Old 06-06-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I hope a Remastered Divimax Book of the Dead Boomstick Limited Edition Bleeding Eyeball Army of Darkness isn't too far off, seriously that DC needs a new upgrade picture-wise and there could be so many more extras, I mean the commentary is priceless but come on a short making of and a few deleted scenes from the holy grail of multi-dipping can't be all there is from The Bay.
Old 06-06-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Forgive my ignorance, but did the original, non-Book of the Dead edition of The Evil Dead have all the same special features as the BOTD edition?

As for the Evil Dead 2 BOTD, I'm looking forward to it. Haven't bought any ED II editions so far, so this'll be a good excuse to do so.
Old 06-06-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought someone on here said the non-book edition had all the same extras, just that they were "hidden".

Like they were hidden in the disc chapters or something.
Old 06-06-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this a forum full of DVD collectors or hound dogs? After reading this thread I'm about ready to go with the latter.

I've had the first Book of the Dead for a long time now, and I can only smell it when I actually hold it right up to my face. It isn't just mine either, I know other people who have it and it isn't an issue. I've never actually known anyone in the "real world" where this was an issue.

It stinks up your entire room!? For weeks on end?

Are you sure you don't have a REAL Book of the Dead?

Last edited by BrentLumkin; 06-06-05 at 11:09 PM.
Old 06-23-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD Aficionado is saying that this will be released on September 27th. Not sure how reliable they are, but there you go.
Old 06-23-05, 06:58 PM

That sucks, because EVERYTHING that interests me is being released that month. I won't be able to afford it all!
Old 06-23-05, 08:21 PM
Banned

Oh noes!!!!! A book made from people stinks!!!! I won't buy it!!! I thought people smelled like roses!!!

I'm going to buy it.

Last edited by chemosh6969; 06-23-05 at 09:36 PM.
Old 06-23-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And now Deep Discount has this up for pre-order.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ABD013215

No indication of any "standard" version, either, for those interested.
Old 06-23-05, 11:48 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Skoobooz
And now Deep Discount has this up for pre-order.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=ABD013215

No indication of any "standard" version, either, for those interested.
Ooh, it'll be $19 in the next DDD sale. Nice!
Old 07-20-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'll be grabbing this
Old 07-20-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BrentLumkin
It stinks up your entire room!? For weeks on end?

Are you sure you don't have a REAL Book of the Dead?

Mine no longer smells, but that thing did have a very strong smell the first time I cracked open the package and I could definitely smell it for some time afterward. It won't keep me from buying the new one, but I am hoping for less smell this time out.
Old 07-20-05, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mine never had a bad odor, so either I got lucky, or everyone else complaining about it have very sensitive olfactory systems.

That said, I ended up selling mine recently because I didn't care for the packaging. the latex cover was cool and all, but I hate packaging that involves sliding the discs in and out of sleeves that get the disc scratched up. very poor design in my opinion. the back should have had a digipak in it. i stored the disc in a keepcase after taking it out the first time put some scratches on it right away, but i just decided i didn't really need it in the end, so i sold it. for now, i am just keeping my Elite release and am waiting to see what ends up being released by AB in 2006 (there is reportedly another Evil Dead release coming out then).

As for Evil Dead 2, well I sold my tin, and was waiting to see if a standalone version of this new release is coming. looks like there may not be one. guess i will have to get the old standalone release then.
Old 07-20-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I haven't seen Evil Dead II...yet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.