Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bewitched-will you buy/watch b&w or colorized box set?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Will you buy/watch b&w or colorized episodes?
B&W
57.50%
Colorized
8.33%
Not Sure
3.33%
Won't watch either way but stopped into the thread anyway
30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Bewitched-will you buy/watch b&w or colorized box set?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't see not getting the colorized version. For the 'purists' who insist on the original b&w mode, simply turn the color off on your tv. You can have it both ways....
Old 03-30-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by drmoze
I can't see not getting the colorized version. For the 'purists' who insist on the original b&w mode, simply turn the color off on your tv. You can have it both ways....
Ummm, no. That's not the same. Colorizing changes the relative contrast and brightness of the image. Turning the color down during playback will result in a skewed mess... higher contast for some parts and less contrast in others.
Old 03-30-05, 04:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this argument is more related to the available audio tracks. That is for older movies that were filmed in mono, stereo, or stereo surround, to get all new re-mixed DD 5.1 or DTS sound tracks.

I think this also goes back to the basic argument of why DVD in the first place? I mean, isn't the DVD format supposed to be able to provide the best video and audio experience possible (on standard def sets).

So when an older movie gets remixed to 5.1 from 2.0, do people cry about the lack of the 2.0 tracks? No they don't. All the old James Bond flicks are getting restored and remixed to 5.1. Are some people going to complain when they don't include the original mono tracks? Or shall I say, would anybody still listen to the mono tracks? I know I won't. I hate mono...that's why they invented stereo...and then surround sound.

Is the colorization of older movies and TV shows different? Yeah, a bit, but the comparison remains valid.

The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source. We're not talking Ted Turner's pastel pallete, we're talking full digital processing. Hell, the entire movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was shot in black and white, and then colorized in post to give it that distinct look from scene to scene.

Of course, with "Bewitched", at least they're offering two versions. The purists who want the original B&W can have it, and the rest of those who prefer color can have their's as well.
Old 03-30-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wannabe
plus bass thumping 5.1 surround sound.
Now you're just being silly.

K
Old 03-30-05, 07:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
Now you're just being silly.

K

Hey, why not...whenever Samantha does one of those little nose twitch thingies, you could get a nice big loud LFE thump.
Old 03-30-05, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

B&W

Last edited by mike45; 03-30-05 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-30-05, 09:51 PM
Cool New Member

I will buy the colorized. if I wan't to see it in b/w. I can always turn off the color signal on the remote.
Old 03-30-05, 10:01 PM

I'll get at least 2 copies of each!
Old 03-31-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
i hope the color seasons will be available in b&w.
Now that was hiliarious! Best laugh I've had on here for a long time. Thanks for that
Old 03-31-05, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I think this argument is more related to the available audio tracks. That is for older movies that were filmed in mono, stereo, or stereo surround, to get all new re-mixed DD 5.1 or DTS sound tracks.

I think this also goes back to the basic argument of why DVD in the first place? I mean, isn't the DVD format supposed to be able to provide the best video and audio experience possible (on standard def sets).

So when an older movie gets remixed to 5.1 from 2.0, do people cry about the lack of the 2.0 tracks? No they don't. All the old James Bond flicks are getting restored and remixed to 5.1. Are some people going to complain when they don't include the original mono tracks? Or shall I say, would anybody still listen to the mono tracks? I know I won't. I hate mono...that's why they invented stereo...and then surround sound.

Is the colorization of older movies and TV shows different? Yeah, a bit, but the comparison remains valid.

The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source. We're not talking Ted Turner's pastel pallete, we're talking full digital processing. Hell, the entire movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was shot in black and white, and then colorized in post to give it that distinct look from scene to scene.

Of course, with "Bewitched", at least they're offering two versions. The purists who want the original B&W can have it, and the rest of those who prefer color can have their's as well.
here we go again. The debate over whether the DVD presentation of a film/show should change to fit the equipment is best suited for the trashcan... or another thread at the very least.
Old 03-31-05, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I get it. Odds are that I will not, it will be in Black/White version.
Old 03-31-05, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by nightwing82
I will only purchase the B&W set as it was meant to be.
that's not true it wasn't meant to be B&W at the time there was no other option available.
Old 03-31-05, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But I'm sure these colorized sets will include the versions done back in the early 90s. You know, where Sam's white teeth look green, and her blond hair looks gold. I'm betting that if people could get a preview of the colorized prints beforehand, they would buy the B&W ones instead.
Old 03-31-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source.
Could you give me some examples? Seriously, I've never once seen something colorized that didn't look like complete crap.
Old 03-31-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by gjamesm
I'll be buying both.
Why would you buy both?

I would stick with the B&W the original way it was shown on TV
Old 03-31-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
And I don't see how this is anything like the WS vs FS debate. That's a preference for how you want a movie to fill your screen (or not) and whether you care or not if the original aspect ratio is preserved. I am sure there are plenty of full screen people who don't go for colorizing.
I agree with the second part. Instead of WS vs. FS I should have said that this is similar to the OAR debate. Those that favor OAR for films shoudl want nothing less then the original BW version of this for the same original reasons.
Old 03-31-05, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There should be an option on the colorized discs for the viewer to choose the colors they want to see. You actually get to decide. For example, if you want Samantha's coat to be green, you can choose that. The papers on Darrin's desk can be yellow. Maybe the car he's driving could be red.

This might sound silly. I point it out only because that's what studio interns do when they look at the image and decide what color to make each object. They have no idea what the color of every object was when the show was made--so they just guess. Maybe there's an experienced art director guiding the interns' choices; he's just guessing, too.

Hey, since this is Sony, maybe they'll issue a Superbit version, too.

Seriously, it's good that Sony is offering a choice. But talk about pandering ...
Old 04-01-05, 12:12 PM

It is good they're offering a choice. I'd be ticked if a show I really liked that was originally B&W was only offered as colorized. Part of the retro charm of the old TV shows for me is that they are B&W.
Old 04-01-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Glorious Black & White for me!
Old 04-13-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

more help for your decision.

or not.
Old 04-14-05, 07:42 AM

I'm really looking forward to seeing Bewitched in any form, however, I'd prefer to see it in the original B & W! I wonder if they have redone the colorizing, as when I have seen the Bewitched colorized version repeated on Channel Four in Britain, all the faces are exactly the same peculiar flesh tone something which never happens in real life - rather like the hand tinted photographs from the nineteen forties/fifties!!

I'm also looking forward to the Nicole Kidman remake, and to seeing Shirley McClaine as Endora!!
Old 04-14-05, 11:38 AM

I'm just really happy this is coming to DVD, so haven't really thought about which one I might buy...

Dazza.