Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Bewitched-will you buy/watch b&w or colorized box set?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
View Poll Results: Will you buy/watch b&w or colorized episodes?
B&W
69
57.50%
Colorized
10
8.33%
Not Sure
4
3.33%
Won't watch either way but stopped into the thread anyway
37
30.83%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Bewitched-will you buy/watch b&w or colorized box set?

Old 03-30-05, 03:28 PM
  #26  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: New York City
Posts: 5,233
I can't see not getting the colorized version. For the 'purists' who insist on the original b&w mode, simply turn the color off on your tv. You can have it both ways....
drmoze is offline  
Old 03-30-05, 03:32 PM
  #27  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,742
Originally Posted by drmoze
I can't see not getting the colorized version. For the 'purists' who insist on the original b&w mode, simply turn the color off on your tv. You can have it both ways....
Ummm, no. That's not the same. Colorizing changes the relative contrast and brightness of the image. Turning the color down during playback will result in a skewed mess... higher contast for some parts and less contrast in others.
sracer is offline  
Old 03-30-05, 04:43 PM
  #28  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
I think this argument is more related to the available audio tracks. That is for older movies that were filmed in mono, stereo, or stereo surround, to get all new re-mixed DD 5.1 or DTS sound tracks.

I think this also goes back to the basic argument of why DVD in the first place? I mean, isn't the DVD format supposed to be able to provide the best video and audio experience possible (on standard def sets).

So when an older movie gets remixed to 5.1 from 2.0, do people cry about the lack of the 2.0 tracks? No they don't. All the old James Bond flicks are getting restored and remixed to 5.1. Are some people going to complain when they don't include the original mono tracks? Or shall I say, would anybody still listen to the mono tracks? I know I won't. I hate mono...that's why they invented stereo...and then surround sound.

Is the colorization of older movies and TV shows different? Yeah, a bit, but the comparison remains valid.

The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source. We're not talking Ted Turner's pastel pallete, we're talking full digital processing. Hell, the entire movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was shot in black and white, and then colorized in post to give it that distinct look from scene to scene.

Of course, with "Bewitched", at least they're offering two versions. The purists who want the original B&W can have it, and the rest of those who prefer color can have their's as well.
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 03-30-05, 06:48 PM
  #29  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Posts: 2,539
Originally Posted by Wannabe
plus bass thumping 5.1 surround sound.
Now you're just being silly.

K
Cornelius1047 is offline  
Old 03-30-05, 07:47 PM
  #30  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So. Illinois
Posts: 3,019
Originally Posted by Cornelius1047
Now you're just being silly.

K

Hey, why not...whenever Samantha does one of those little nose twitch thingies, you could get a nice big loud LFE thump.
Mike Lowrey is offline  
Old 03-30-05, 08:24 PM
  #31  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
mike45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,309
B&W

Last edited by mike45; 03-30-05 at 08:28 PM.
mike45 is offline  
Old 03-30-05, 09:51 PM
  #32  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 29
I will buy the colorized. if I wan't to see it in b/w. I can always turn off the color signal on the remote.
dglucas is offline  
Old 03-30-05, 10:01 PM
  #33  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 819
I'll get at least 2 copies of each!
emhello is offline  
Old 03-31-05, 11:55 AM
  #34  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 9,431
Originally Posted by Cygnet74
i hope the color seasons will be available in b&w.
Now that was hiliarious! Best laugh I've had on here for a long time. Thanks for that
Daytripper is offline  
Old 03-31-05, 12:10 PM
  #35  
DVD Talk Legend
 
sracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Prescott Valley, AZ
Posts: 12,742
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
I think this argument is more related to the available audio tracks. That is for older movies that were filmed in mono, stereo, or stereo surround, to get all new re-mixed DD 5.1 or DTS sound tracks.

I think this also goes back to the basic argument of why DVD in the first place? I mean, isn't the DVD format supposed to be able to provide the best video and audio experience possible (on standard def sets).

So when an older movie gets remixed to 5.1 from 2.0, do people cry about the lack of the 2.0 tracks? No they don't. All the old James Bond flicks are getting restored and remixed to 5.1. Are some people going to complain when they don't include the original mono tracks? Or shall I say, would anybody still listen to the mono tracks? I know I won't. I hate mono...that's why they invented stereo...and then surround sound.

Is the colorization of older movies and TV shows different? Yeah, a bit, but the comparison remains valid.

The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source. We're not talking Ted Turner's pastel pallete, we're talking full digital processing. Hell, the entire movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was shot in black and white, and then colorized in post to give it that distinct look from scene to scene.

Of course, with "Bewitched", at least they're offering two versions. The purists who want the original B&W can have it, and the rest of those who prefer color can have their's as well.
here we go again. The debate over whether the DVD presentation of a film/show should change to fit the equipment is best suited for the trashcan... or another thread at the very least.
sracer is offline  
Old 03-31-05, 12:20 PM
  #36  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: I have always been here.
Posts: 1,917
If I get it. Odds are that I will not, it will be in Black/White version.
pagansoul is offline  
Old 03-31-05, 01:16 PM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 324
Originally Posted by nightwing82
I will only purchase the B&W set as it was meant to be.
that's not true it wasn't meant to be B&W at the time there was no other option available.
Zwerchfell is offline  
Old 03-31-05, 02:31 PM
  #38  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Falc04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Upstate, NY
Posts: 1,192
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source. We're not talking Ted Turner's pastel pallete, we're talking full digital processing. Hell, the entire movie "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow" was shot in black and white, and then colorized in post to give it that distinct look from scene to scene.
But I'm sure these colorized sets will include the versions done back in the early 90s. You know, where Sam's white teeth look green, and her blond hair looks gold. I'm betting that if people could get a preview of the colorized prints beforehand, they would buy the B&W ones instead.
Falc04 is offline  
Old 03-31-05, 02:49 PM
  #39  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
The fact here is folks that with today's technology, they can realistically colorize any black and white source.
Could you give me some examples? Seriously, I've never once seen something colorized that didn't look like complete crap.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 03-31-05, 10:00 PM
  #40  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
The Monkees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,983
Originally Posted by gjamesm
I'll be buying both.
Why would you buy both?

I would stick with the B&W the original way it was shown on TV
The Monkees is offline  
Old 03-31-05, 10:53 PM
  #41  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: 11.5 Miles from the Strip
Posts: 2,353
Originally Posted by calhoun07
And I don't see how this is anything like the WS vs FS debate. That's a preference for how you want a movie to fill your screen (or not) and whether you care or not if the original aspect ratio is preserved. I am sure there are plenty of full screen people who don't go for colorizing.
I agree with the second part. Instead of WS vs. FS I should have said that this is similar to the OAR debate. Those that favor OAR for films shoudl want nothing less then the original BW version of this for the same original reasons.
LasVegasMichael is offline  
Old 03-31-05, 11:28 PM
  #42  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 1,277
There should be an option on the colorized discs for the viewer to choose the colors they want to see. You actually get to decide. For example, if you want Samantha's coat to be green, you can choose that. The papers on Darrin's desk can be yellow. Maybe the car he's driving could be red.

This might sound silly. I point it out only because that's what studio interns do when they look at the image and decide what color to make each object. They have no idea what the color of every object was when the show was made--so they just guess. Maybe there's an experienced art director guiding the interns' choices; he's just guessing, too.

Hey, since this is Sony, maybe they'll issue a Superbit version, too.

Seriously, it's good that Sony is offering a choice. But talk about pandering ...
rasalas is offline  
Old 04-01-05, 12:12 PM
  #43  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 144
It is good they're offering a choice. I'd be ticked if a show I really liked that was originally B&W was only offered as colorized. Part of the retro charm of the old TV shows for me is that they are B&W.
snoopygirl is offline  
Old 04-01-05, 04:05 PM
  #44  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 1999
Location: North America
Posts: 1,296
Glorious Black & White for me!
Duality is offline  
Old 04-13-05, 10:49 PM
  #45  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,856





more help for your decision.


or not.
Buford T Pusser is offline  
Old 04-14-05, 07:42 AM
  #46  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Preston, Lancashire , ENGLAND
Posts: 242
I'm really looking forward to seeing Bewitched in any form, however, I'd prefer to see it in the original B & W! I wonder if they have redone the colorizing, as when I have seen the Bewitched colorized version repeated on Channel Four in Britain, all the faces are exactly the same peculiar flesh tone something which never happens in real life - rather like the hand tinted photographs from the nineteen forties/fifties!!

I'm also looking forward to the Nicole Kidman remake, and to seeing Shirley McClaine as Endora!!
Deco King is offline  
Old 04-14-05, 11:38 AM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Europe
Posts: 550
I'm just really happy this is coming to DVD, so haven't really thought about which one I might buy...

Dazza.
Dazza is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.