DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hd-Dvd/Blu-Ray to Unite?

Old 04-01-05, 11:21 PM
  #51  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Originally Posted by Ejunior2
I read an article in a recent S&V issue where the author discussed the possiblilty of having both the Blu-ray and HD-DVD data stored on the same disc.
Like RocShemp says, that doesn't make much sense.

Who would use such a product? If, Sony supports Blu-Ray and Warner supports HD-DVD... how does having *both* formats on a single disc address this issue?

Spider-Man will still be on Blu-Ray. Superman will still be on HD-DVD. And if a disc can technically contain both formats... well, what the hell difference does it make? Since individual studios are supporting individual formats, having a disc that can support either doesn't make any sense. The content is still going to be one or the other. My Spider-Man disc may be able to hold HD-DVD content, but since Sony is only supporting Blu-Ray, this capiblity will be ignored.

I didn't read the article, but that seems like an awfully odd suggestion.
bboisvert is offline  
Old 04-01-05, 11:43 PM
  #52  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Missouri, USA
Posts: 2,707
Originally Posted by bboisvert
I didn't read the article, but that seems like an awfully odd suggestion.
I think the guy who posted is mistaken. I think he meant Blu-Ray and DVD.
I saw something recently proposing 3 layer Blu-Ray with a "Normal" dvd on the additional layers. In theory, the disc could be read by either a Blu-Ray player or a normal dvd player, each using the appropriate layer(s).
That would be smart. Sell one medium to two markets. The downside for Hollywood is they couldn't gouge us for upgrades when/if people converted. to hi-def The more I think about this the more I like it.

Aha, finally found it.
http://news.com.com/JVC+previews+Blu...3-5506834.html
And for HD DVD
http://news.com.com/Toshiba%2C+Memor...html?tag=st.rn
I wasn't aware of that one.
Someone posted the links in a similar discussion at HTF.

Last edited by Easy; 04-02-05 at 10:56 AM.
Easy is offline  
Old 04-02-05, 12:34 AM
  #53  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: on a river in a kayak..where else?
Posts: 4,949
Originally Posted by bboisvert
I think a lot of people just wanted the big (often flat) screens and don't give two shits about picture quality. (I certainly know a couple of people who own $3000+ TVs that look like crap because they're watching analog cable and haven't bothered to change the factory TV settings. They don't seem to care.)


It makes me very upset to see so many people like this. Being the owner of a moving company...I see more of this than anyone knows. I'm talking on a weekly basis...at least one or two. Sometimes I've walked in to somebody's home to do an estimate, I slide into the sweet theater set-up...only to see them drooling over a shitty picture. You're right...they have no clue. The bigger the screen...the less clue they have.
gutwrencher is offline  
Old 04-02-05, 06:22 AM
  #54  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: The Archives, Indiana
Posts: 1,758
Originally Posted by gutwrencher


It makes me very upset to see so many people like this. Being the owner of a moving company...I see more of this than anyone knows. I'm talking on a weekly basis...at least one or two. Sometimes I've walked in to somebody's home to do an estimate, I slide into the sweet theater set-up...only to see them drooling over a shitty picture. You're right...they have no clue. The bigger the screen...the less clue they have.

It's really scary. I spent an evening with an old girlfriend a month or so ago who had just bought a $2000 JVC 27 inch HDTV. Not only did she not have HD programming, the only cable source she had in her home was coaxial hookup.......no cable box.......but WAIT.....it gets better. She has no DVD player so her only choices of material were SD cable with a lousy hookup, or VHS......on a shiny new $2000 HD set. I wanted to run home to my home theater and kiss the ground it sits upon.
nightmaster is offline  
Old 04-02-05, 02:26 PM
  #55  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 1,997
Originally Posted by Easy
No, I really don't. They're just fine.
Are you sure? Was your HD set calibrated after it was installed? If not, then it is most likely not "fine." Calibration has to be done by a professional, runs about $300 to $500, and has to be done to every HD TV, after the set is placed where it is going to stay. You can't be moving it to vacuum under or behind it, or because you want to re-arrange the furniture. The set has to stay put. And one other thing. HD TVs should be re-calibrated annually.

Calibration is the HD TV industry's not-so-little, "dirty little secret" that nobody talks about.

Can you imagine what WalMart window-shopping, John and Jane Doe average consumer would do after prepping themselves to max out a credit card to buy a $2000 to $4000 HD TV, when they're told they will have to spend another $300 to $500 dollars when the TV is delivered and every year thereafter? They'd say, "Thanks, but no thanks. We'll take that 32" regular TV over there."

Back on topic:
As someone at a computer site posted: "Sony needs to grow a backbone." I agree. Their annoucement is like running up a white flag before the first shot is even fired.

From every objective report of the tech specs I've read, BR-DVD will be clearly superior in capacity and quality. As a consumer, I want nothing less than the best.

What does HD-DVD offer? The only aspect of HD-DVD that is clearly superior lies in the manufacturing process. It will be cheaper to make, however that does not inherently translate into a consumer advantage. You can bet your last dollar that without a format war, the studios behind HD-DVD will charge a real premium for HD content, simply because it is HD. My guess would be at least $40 to $50 for a typical HD-DVD. If so, it'll be a long time before I'll be buying any HD content on disc, regardless of what format it is.

If there is a format war, HD-DVDs will likely be sold at significantly lower prices than BR-DVDs to give them another competitive advantage. Maybe the $25 to $35 range. Since there will be more HD-DVD titles to choose from, in the long term it could be the one-two punch that eventually knocks BR out of the game.
Jon2 is offline  
Old 04-04-05, 10:46 AM
  #56  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 4,385
Originally Posted by Jon2
What does HD-DVD offer? The only aspect of HD-DVD that is clearly superior lies in the manufacturing process. It will be cheaper to make, however that does not inherently translate into a consumer advantage. You can bet your last dollar that without a format war, the studios behind HD-DVD will charge a real premium for HD content, simply because it is HD. My guess would be at least $40 to $50 for a typical HD-DVD. If so, it'll be a long time before I'll be buying any HD content on disc, regardless of what format it is.

If there is a format war, HD-DVDs will likely be sold at significantly lower prices than BR-DVDs to give them another competitive advantage. Maybe the $25 to $35 range. Since there will be more HD-DVD titles to choose from, in the long term it could be the one-two punch that eventually knocks BR out of the game.
The HD-DVD camp announced that the SRPs would be around $20. Prices higher than SDDVD would stall sales immediately.

I do agree that a format war could be good for pricing but will ultimately fragment the market.
Qui Gon Jim is offline  
Old 04-04-05, 01:05 PM
  #57  
boe
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 325
I think we've waited long enough - they've been showing off both formats at CES for three years as if they are ready to release them. I have no idea if it is a mfg issue or a studio issue but it seems a shame that they aren't out yet.
boe is offline  
Old 04-04-05, 07:00 PM
  #58  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: SoCal
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by Easy
I think the guy who posted is mistaken. I think he meant Blu-Ray and DVD.
I saw something recently proposing 3 layer Blu-Ray with a "Normal" dvd on the additional layers. In theory, the disc could be read by either a Blu-Ray player or a normal dvd player, each using the appropriate layer(s).
That would be smart. Sell one medium to two markets. The downside for Hollywood is they couldn't gouge us for upgrades when/if people converted. to hi-def The more I think about this the more I like it.

Aha, finally found it.
http://news.com.com/JVC+previews+Blu...3-5506834.html
And for HD DVD
http://news.com.com/Toshiba%2C+Memor...html?tag=st.rn
I wasn't aware of that one.
Someone posted the links in a similar discussion at HTF.
I think you may be right. I was going off memory and, well...I'm old. The memory goes sometimes.
Ejunior2 is offline  
Old 04-05-05, 12:29 PM
  #59  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Docking Bay 94
Posts: 14,259
Interesting article about the replication costs/issues associated with both formats:

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...rticle_id=7359
bboisvert is offline  
Old 04-05-05, 05:45 PM
  #60  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 302
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
The HD-DVD camp announced that the SRPs would be around $20. Prices higher than SDDVD would stall sales immediately.
Does this mean that the regular DVD version of the same movie or TV show will drop drastically in price?
Cocopugg is offline  
Old 04-21-05, 09:56 AM
  #61  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Relocated to Bot-Hell
Posts: 10,243
Instead of starting a new thread, thought it best to post here.
The Nihon Keizai newspaper reports Sony and Toshiba are in negotiations for a unified format.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...generation_dvd

Getting a lot of press. I don't mind waiting longer for a unified format.
rexinnih is offline  
Old 04-21-05, 10:06 AM
  #62  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 5280
Posts: 3,413
Originally Posted by rexinnih
Instead of starting a new thread, thought it best to post here.
The Nihon Keizai newspaper reports Sony and Toshiba are in negotiations for a unified format.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...generation_dvd

Getting a lot of press. I don't mind waiting longer for a unified format.
Let's hope something good comes out of this.
Big Worms is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.