Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Hd-Dvd/Blu-Ray to Unite?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-05, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,531 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer

I don't remember Sony being involved with Laserdiscs.
They didn't develop LD if thats what you mean. Laserdiscs were developed by Phillips and MCA and later on, Pioneer helped too. (Sony and Phillips did develop the compact disc together though. I guess you could say that format was a bit of a success for Sony )
Old 03-26-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 261 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by sracer
Yes, CLV and CAV was what I was referring to. And it is analogous to the extent that there were some players only capable of CAV playback.
No, there weren't. Every laserdisc player ever manufactured could play both CAV and CLV discs. These were not separate formats, just separate recording speeds, similar to SP or EP speed on VHS (though without the same severe quality dropoff).
Old 03-26-05, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the post - this is good news for those of us who will wait for the format to level out in price and reliability. By the time we're ready to upgrade, there should only be one choice, I hope.
Old 03-26-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
No, there weren't. Every laserdisc player ever manufactured could play both CAV and CLV discs. These were not separate formats, just separate recording speeds, similar to SP or EP speed on VHS (though without the same severe quality dropoff).
Oh well, my memory must be going. Because I thought I remembered pre-CLV players being unable to play CLV discs. I must be mistaken.
Old 03-26-05, 06:40 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good news. I guess DVDs will still be around for a while, I can't imagine this format being cheap.
Old 03-26-05, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
This is nothing short of Sony playing the part of the good guy. They know Toshiba and W-B is not giving in to them. So why not look good in the eyes of the consumers.

Sony once again has the better video format on paper, we just have to see how they run with it. Prices will come down faster with both formats trying to win the marketplace, but one format will get market acceptance much faster if the other is canceled out before any hardware is released.
Old 03-26-05, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CharlesTisMe
What are you guys gonna do about the DVDs you already own that arent Blu-Ray or HD?
Throw them in the trash.
Old 03-27-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Throw them in the trash.
Hide them in a closet somewhere, a BIG closet.
Old 03-27-05, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What are you guys gonna do about the DVDs you already own that arent Blu-Ray or HD?
Heerrrrrre we go again.....

I'm gonna enjoy them- while the industry starts bringing out more HD titles, while the hardware is perfected and the price lowered. People have already made mention of the fact that lots of titles on SD-DVD will probably never make their way to HD, and if they do it will be a case of years from now when it happens. When HD discs are comparable in price to my current discs I'll start buying the ones that I want in their enhanced state. This isn't the same leap that was made from VHS to DVD, not from a viability aspect. Discs have the potential to be watched their 100th time 5 and 10 years from now and still look and play as well as they did when you first opened the case for the first viewing; they shouldn't erode in quality over time. I'm all for getting my favorite movies in HD format as well as buying future movies in HD. What I'm not for is double dipping on titles that really don't need to be in the absoulute best looking format in order for me to enjoy them. There's nothing I have to 'do about' my current library other than take care of it and make it feel loved as I'm sure I'll also love HD
Old 03-27-05, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remember 5 years ago that someone on this forum said that we should not buy DVDs because "HD" DVD were coming out in a few years.

So, I would have had to wait 6 six for "HD" DVDs to come out. I am happy with Regular DVDs and will wait for as long as it takes for the "HD" problem to work it self out. I am guessing that it will be another 2 years before all new titles will be shipped in "HD" DVD, so I will keep on enjoying my DVDs and not give the HD-DVD/Blue Ray another thought.

Good day all.
Old 03-27-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I remember 5 years ago that someone on this forum said that we should not buy DVDs because "HD" DVD were coming out in a few years.
They should have put a sticky on that person's post. Maybe we wouldn't see so many posts that look like this now.

"OMG!!! My collection is ruined!!! I have to rebuy everything! No one else will ever upgrade, it's not worth it!"

I've been reading about HD for the same time period as you and agree completely on your stance. I wouldn't expect anything regarding technology to stay the same, ever.

I must say though that I watched I, Robot in HD tonight via D-vhs. The dvd is going in the closet asap. Best HD transfer I have seen so far. The future looks good if this is what is coming! When you double dip on a dvd what do you do with the older transfer? I usually don't give it a second look. Eventually I think I'll replace 50% of my current collection in HD.
Old 03-28-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by nightmaster
Heerrrrrre we go again.....

I'm gonna enjoy them- while the industry starts bringing out more HD titles, while the hardware is perfected and the price lowered. People have already made mention of the fact that lots of titles on SD-DVD will probably never make their way to HD, and if they do it will be a case of years from now when it happens. When HD discs are comparable in price to my current discs I'll start buying the ones that I want in their enhanced state. This isn't the same leap that was made from VHS to DVD, not from a viability aspect. Discs have the potential to be watched their 100th time 5 and 10 years from now and still look and play as well as they did when you first opened the case for the first viewing; they shouldn't erode in quality over time. I'm all for getting my favorite movies in HD format as well as buying future movies in HD. What I'm not for is double dipping on titles that really don't need to be in the absoulute best looking format in order for me to enjoy them. There's nothing I have to 'do about' my current library other than take care of it and make it feel loved as I'm sure I'll also love HD
Great post. Also great news about the convergence. Hope it is true.
Old 03-28-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by collven
This is a huge understatement.
Let me see:
BetaMax- yeah, that really took off
Minidisk- has to be the shortest shelf life ever of an audio format
Memory Stick- successful, but really, did we need another flash memory type, and still one of the most expensive types of flash memory
UMD Movies- as much as I really like the idea of the PSP and the way the games are looking, do they really expect people to buy movie only disks, most of which are cropped to fit 1.66:1 AR, are only watchable on a PSP, and cost about as much as regular DVDs?

I think Sony has always been too enamored with creating their own product and trying to make everyone else conform to their ideas.
BetaMax - Well, this was technially superior to be fair
Minidisk - Has done well elsewhere, and you're forgetting a couple of formats. DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) and to a lesser extent DAT
Memory Stick - A good format that needs to be better thought out. Not completely compatible between the 3 current variations (which is a pain). better now that 3rd party maunfacturers are making some.
UMD - I thought this was an idea only a content owning manufacturer could love...
Old 03-30-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bboisvert
And they had some consumer information recently that a huge percentage of people who had HDTVs and DVD players thought that they *already* were watching HD-DVDs. A format war is the worst thing in the world when you have such a huge education curve to overcome.
Here's a recent editorial on the subject:

http://www.videobusiness.com/comment...10167&catID=13

In summary, many people are buying HDTVs, but have no clue what HD programming is really all about. Many are buying HD sets just to get a large, flat screen... and don't give a shit about HD programming. Many are watching analog cable and think they're getting HD because of the set.

The end result is that you have a marketplace that is already confused -- and even early adopters are watching their DVDs and analog cable thinking they're watching "HD" programming. In this environment, launching an 'improved' format is going to be very difficult. Launching 2 competing formats is going to be pretty much impossible.

I'm excited to have HD movies on DVD, but I'm sitting this one out for a year or two (or more) to see how things go. This could very easily crash and burn.
Old 03-31-05, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert
I'm excited to have HD movies on DVD, but I'm sitting this one out for a year or two (or more) to see how things go. This could very easily crash and burn.
I have no doubt this will go the same way as the DVD-A/SA-CD format war. People will sit on the sidelines waiting for a dominant format to emerge and as a result both formats will fail. I'm amazed the manufacturers involved can't see this. I guess it's tough to see beyond your own greed.
Old 03-31-05, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Easy
I have no doubt this will go the same way as the DVD-A/SA-CD format war. People will sit on the sidelines waiting for a dominant format to emerge and as a result both formats will fail. I'm amazed the manufacturers involved can't see this. I guess it's tough to see beyond your own greed.
I don't think high-resolution audio failed because of a format war. It failed because the mass market isn't interested in a high-end audio-only format. The mass market can hardly tell the difference between a 128k MP3 file and a regular CD, and cares even less.

HD is different. Tens of millions of HD displays will be purchased in the next two or three years, and most of those people will be watching HD programming via digital cable, dish or broadcast. That's a market that's already proven they're ready to buy movies and TV on disc in huge numbers, and a market that will buy HD content instead of SD content if it's available to them and the price is right.

The industry won't let that market disappear. Whether blu-ray and HDDVD converge, or combi-players become the rule, or whatever, this change is going to happen. With hi-rez audio the potiential market was never that big; with Hi-def DVD it's immense.

RichC
Old 03-31-05, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rdclark
HD is different. Tens of millions of HD displays will be purchased in the next two or three years, and most of those people will be watching HD programming via digital cable, dish or broadcast. That's a market that's already proven they're ready to buy movies and TV on disc in huge numbers, and a market that will buy HD content instead of SD content if it's available to them and the price is right.
In theory, you're right. But, again, some of these recent polls are pretty startling.

There seems to be a large percentage of people buying HDTVs for the larger screen or because someone at Best Buy says that's what they should get. And these people are watching analog cable and standard DVDs -- hell, probably even VHS tapes -- and think they are watching "HD" stuff. They don't know the difference.

These are so-called early adopters. If there is that much ignorance among *that* crowd, I don't know how you're going to be able to convince the masses (or even a decent niche market) to shell out for a new format (or two!).

The companies are definitely seeing things the way you do: decent and steadily increasing sales of HDTVs means people will buy HD over SD. I'm just not convinced that anyone fully understands the "average" HD owner at this point. I think a lot of people just wanted the big (often flat) screens and don't give two shits about picture quality. (I certainly know a couple of people who own $3000+ TVs that look like crap because they're watching analog cable and haven't bothered to change the factory TV settings. They don't seem to care.)
Old 03-31-05, 02:23 PM

The current situation is unprecendented. In the past, the truism that "software drives hardware sales" has never really failed. There had to be broadcasts before people bought radios, color shows before people bought color TVs, plenty of music and movies before people bought CD and DVD players.

People buying HDTVs without having HD sources, just because of screen size or form factor, doesn't have a technological precedent that I can think of, at least not on a mass-market scale.

Nevertheless, pretty soon awareness of HDTV is going to become widespread. As the local stations gear up for the conversion, and invest more and more money in their digital infrastructure, they will be plastering the airwaves with discussion of the format. Cable companies will push their digital services more aggressively ("If you already have a digital TV, you NEED this!"). And eventually people will understand that their HD-ready TVs can do a lot more.

Meanwhile, plenty of people *are* seeing HD content on their HD screens, more and more every day. And that's without a a lot of strong and consistent pushing from the industry. When the content providers and the media all decide to start really promoting digital TV, change will come fast, IMO.

RichC
Old 03-31-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rdclark
I don't think high-resolution audio failed because of a format war. It failed because the mass market isn't interested in a high-end audio-only format. The mass market can hardly tell the difference between a 128k MP3 file and a regular CD, and cares even less.
Well, I stayed away because of the format war and I know I'm not alone. When I first looked into it players were $1000 or more and played only one format. That turned me off completely. I looked at it again recently and althought there are universal players available at reasonable prices it hardly matters as both formats are now dead, or so close it makes no difference.

The industry won't let that market disappear. Whether blu-ray and HDDVD converge, or combi-players become the rule, or whatever, this change is going to happen. With hi-rez audio the potiential market was never that big; with Hi-def DVD it's immense.
Maybe. I've owned a HD RPTV for years and frankly the difference between an upconverted DVD and a HD OTA broadcast doesn't knock me out. Based on that and the fact I think one or both formats will fail, I have no intention of buying either format initially. If they ever get around to native 1080p I might be swayed... I'd have to see it.
Old 04-01-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Easy
Well, I stayed away because of the format war and I know I'm not alone. When I first looked into it players were $1000 or more and played only one format. That turned me off completely. I looked at it again recently and althought there are universal players available at reasonable prices it hardly matters as both formats are now dead, or so close it makes no difference.

Maybe. I've owned a HD RPTV for years and frankly the difference between an upconverted DVD and a HD OTA broadcast doesn't knock me out. Based on that and the fact I think one or both formats will fail, I have no intention of buying either format initially. If they ever get around to native 1080p I might be swayed... I'd have to see it.
Then you need to get your equipment and/or HD signal source checked. Even upconverted DVDs can't touch a good HD picture; the original information for such a high resolution is not there.

This argument drives me fucking nuts! Just because you may not want to spring for a new player (and I don't blame you, I'm not going to for a long time) DOES NOT mean that the picture is inferior. You are akin to the PS2 Fanboy talking down XBox. The picture on HD FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR surpasses a SD picture when everything is configured correctly. EVERY SINGLE TIME.
Old 04-01-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Then you need to get your equipment and/or HD signal source checked.
No, I really don't. They're just fine.
Is there a slight improvement? Sure. But at the risk or repeating myself... It doesn't knock me out. The jump from VHS to DVD was dramatic. The jump to HD is... Bleh.
That is my opinion and I'm entitled to hold it without being called "fanboy" or anything else.

Just because you may not want to spring for a new player (and I don't blame you, I'm not going to for a long time) DOES NOT mean that the picture is inferior.
First, cost of a new player is minor. Which format/success of the format is far more important.
Second, I never said HD is inferior. You're reading things that aren't there.
Old 04-01-05, 02:00 PM
Suspended

From what I've seen programs on channels such as Discovery HD is where the jaw dropping dramatic difference is. HBO and other movie channels I definetly noticed a difference but it was not miles ahead of a good DVD picture.
Old 04-01-05, 03:44 PM

Well now - getting back on topic a bit....

I read an article in a recent S&V issue where the author discussed the possiblilty of having both the Blu-ray and HD-DVD data stored on the same disc. Something to do with the fact the one is a surface reading technology whereas the other is substrate reading. Similar the the layer changing deal on current disks. Technically you'd just need two lazers on the pickup focused of defferent layers. I believe he even mentioned seeing a prototype of sorts at the CES.
Old 04-01-05, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts
Though that sounds tecnically interesting, it also sounds comepletely idiotic. Why have a disc that is both instead of having a player that simply reads either format, if they are to insist on having the formats compete?
Old 04-01-05, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Then you need to get your equipment and/or HD signal source checked. Even upconverted DVDs can't touch a good HD picture; the original information for such a high resolution is not there.
While that's technically accurate, one must note that almost all HDTVs are rather inferior in their ability to actually display an unadulterated 1080 HD signal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.