Battlestar Galactica...when?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Battlestar Galactica...when?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I said earlier that I would buy the series and I will... but not for $70, and not as a "Best Buy exclusive." These special deals with 800-pound gorilla retailers are something I abhor and never support.

I'll wait until the general release, and meanwhile watch the DVDs I burned from the broadcasts using TivoToGo.

RichC
Old 06-26-05, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have no problem waiting until September.
Old 06-26-05, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If its just like the UK version without any extras then i'll just get the UK version
Old 06-26-05, 12:53 AM

Fuck em!!! I'll wait till September to get it!

Take care all!!
Old 06-26-05, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Waiting here too. I've got my DVR set to grab em, I'll fill in my gaps in viewing that way till I find a better deal.

As for the UK thing, I believe the theme song was changed at the request of the wise and powerful Bonnie Hammer when it was brought over here. Ron whatsisname doesn't like the new theme, but isn't making a big fuss over it. Maybe these are special set with the original theme?
Old 06-26-05, 03:03 AM

I personally have no issue with the price, but I'll be damned if I'm going to support this "Best Buy Exclusive" crap.

fitprod
Old 06-26-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Count me as another who will not support high price points for retailer-exclusive releases. They're playing on some collectors' need to get releases right away. Thankfully, I've long since passed that point (particularly since I can't afford to shop that way anymore).
Old 06-27-05, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
I'm betting the high price is to offset the cost of getting the exclusive sales for two months. When it hits every other retailer it will probably be cheaper($40?), and BB will adjust accordingly.
Old 06-27-05, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm rewatching the first season now, I can wait until September to get it on DVD.
Old 06-27-05, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Dmacsg1
Fuck em!!! I'll wait till September to get it!
I'll second that!
Old 06-27-05, 02:16 PM
Banned

Waiting till Sept 20 is fine with me, as July is already jam packed with releases I'm getting.

I bet I'm spending over $200 on box sets and stuff for July.
Old 06-27-05, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm waiting, too!
Old 06-27-05, 02:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Frankly I'm more interested in whether or not the question of "will the mini-series be included" has been answered.
Old 06-27-05, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by nemein
Frankly I'm more interested in whether or not the question of "will the mini-series be included" has been answered.

Me too. And I'm running out of time! I need to spend my CH funcash by June 30. If the BSG season 1 set does not include the pilot miniseries, then I'd like to use my funcash to get the pilot miniseries. But if I knew for sure that the pilot miniseries will be included in the season 1 set, then I'll spend my funcash on something else. But I need to know within the next 2 days!
Why won't they just release the specs already?!?!
Old 06-27-05, 05:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by moonraker
Me too. And I'm running out of time! I need to spend my CH funcash by June 30. If the BSG season 1 set does not include the pilot miniseries, then I'd like to use my funcash to get the pilot miniseries. But if I knew for sure that the pilot miniseries will be included in the season 1 set, then I'll spend my funcash on something else. But I need to know within the next 2 days!
Why won't they just release the specs already?!?!
Probably just to piss you off.
Old 06-29-05, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
I don't have a problem with the price as nearly as much as I have a problem with Best Buy getting an exclusive on this title for two months...DVD buyers everywhere (yes, this means YOU) need to wait and buy this ANYWHERE but Best Buy (even if you wind up paying the same price, which I'm sure you won't).

If Best Buy is sucessful with this, I can see a trend developing where major chains get exclusive DVD rights to big releases - leaving the consumer no choice but to pay up or wait months to see their favorite titles on disc.
Old 06-29-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
I don't have a problem with the price as nearly as much as I have a problem with Best Buy getting an exclusive on this title for two months...DVD buyers everywhere (yes, this means YOU) need to wait and buy this ANYWHERE but Best Buy (even if you wind up paying the same price, which I'm sure you won't).

If Best Buy is sucessful with this, I can see a trend developing where major chains get exclusive DVD rights to big releases - leaving the consumer no choice but to pay up or wait months to see their favorite titles on disc.
It's times like these I can only raise my drink in salute to all the online pirates. Not a very enlightened view, I know, but these studios only bring it on themselves.
Old 06-29-05, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't see how it could be that profitable for BB. I just don't see alot of people paying that much for the season.
Old 06-29-05, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by cajun_junky
I don't see how it could be that profitable for BB. I just don't see alot of people paying that much for the season.
You may be right about the price point. However, it is less than other Sci Fi sets like Star Trek and X-Files. Remember, the general public is not as informed as you or I. BB will advertise this as if they are the only ones selling it - ever! It will probably have words like "Available only at Best Buy" and "for a limited time only". Those not "in the know" will think that BB is the only place they will be able to pick it up and they had better do so quickly lest they be left out in the cold.

The flaw in this strategy is that the demographic interested in this set are also the ones that are usually "in the know' .
Old 06-29-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That is a good point about other sets being expensive and I totally agree. I think we are on the same wavelength about those that are interested in this season are also likely to know it will be cheaper down the road as well as available at other retailers.
Old 06-29-05, 04:24 PM
Banned

$70 for 13 episodes is a huge rip-off. I don't expect the final discounted retail price to be much more than $39.99.
Old 06-29-05, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
$70 for 13 episodes is a huge rip-off. I don't expect the final discounted retail price to be much more than $39.99.
Yes, it is but don't expect the episode count to be listed anywhere on the packaging. Like Quantum Leap S1 (9 eps) and some other partial season sets they will conveniently leave this info off and charge the same price as a full season. The packaging will only say "Season 1".

Per episode, this set is actually more expensive than the Treks .
Old 06-29-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But it's about the same as HBO sets. So I guess it's up to you whether it's as good as an HBO show or not.

.....just to play devil's advocate. As I said earlier, I'm waiting until September. I really hate getting something only to find out it's much cheaper a couple months down the line. I did that with KITH s1, and never again after that.
Old 06-30-05, 11:47 AM

There's no reason this set should cost more than other basic-cable original series like Monk or Dead Zone. And I doubt that it will when it goes into general release. This is a scam perpetuated by Best Buy and Universal, and the only way they can be made to stop is to not buy the sets, and tell everyone you know to just wait until they can buy it somewhere else for a reasonable price.

I expect to buy this at the next DDD 20% off sale for something like $25.

RichC
Old 06-30-05, 12:15 PM
Cool New Member

Best Buy Price Dropped

Now Best Buy is showing the price as $49.99

Linkie

Last edited by b0bafett; 06-30-05 at 12:17 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.