Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

So I Got Banned from the DVD Aficionado Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.film-talk.com/forums/inde...showtopic=5335

I just thought I'd join in the thread alongside those that were recently banned. They took out Atreus and I at the same time, and for the same reason. I'll be the first to admit that I was an ass from time to time...and I'd have sworn my run-ins with the same handful of people would have eventually led to my demise, not questioning the deletion of a few on-topic posts that were unfairly labeled as "chit-chat."

Ah well, what can you do? This place looks a bit more active, though, so I'm sure I'll find my niche here.

-JP
Old 02-21-05, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Squirrel God
So how would it work if you can't express an opinion?

Let's see...

Thread title: "Do you like Star Wars?"
No replies.

Thread title: "Are Amazon.com a trustworthy retailer?"
No replies.

Thread title: "Is it worth me buying this import for the DTS?"
No replies.

Thread title: "What do you like most about DVDAfficianado?"
No replies.

Thread title: "Will Twin Peaks Season 2 ever be released?"
No replies.

Thread title: "Your favourite DVDs"
No replies.

Thread title: "Is this DVD available to buy?"
1 reply.

Sounds great.

yo. <----- my opinion

and thrller, that was the stupidest banning i've seen from them yet.

Seriously, on the AVP thread here people left and rite were dissing the film. No banning. Then, on DVDAF, I made one comment about how it was unwise to buy it and the whole fuckin place turns on me.

Last edited by Master Shake 05; 02-21-05 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
What would be the point of the message board then?

It's reasonable enforce how members express their opinions, but if you're just going to say you don't want people posting opinions period, why the fuck start a board in the first place?
You would have to ask the people who started the board.

The problem is, there is this sense of entitlement that people have that because someone starts a forum or messageboard, that because of "freedom of speech" they have to allow all opinions to be posted. That is simply silly and not true.

If DVDAf's boards don't want any pro-Star Wars opinions posted (as an example), then they have every right to delete posts that express those opinions.

People in turn, have the right to NOT post to that forum.
Old 02-21-05, 04:06 PM

but to ban people for pro-star wars? thats insane.
Old 02-21-05, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
and thrller, that was the stupidest banning i've seen from them yet.
Yessir...I was caught off guard, to say the least.

-JP
Old 02-21-05, 04:19 PM
Retired

sracer,

I agree that people aren't entitled at all on message boards and free speech isn't allowed.

But the quote posted here from a mod there saying they werent' trying to create a platform to express opinions was going to far. IMO if you don't want opinions period, don't start a message board.

They're probably just losers in real life and want something in cyberspace where they have absolute control.

It's one thing to disallow certain things (like this site does) it's another to say you don't want any opinions period.
Old 02-21-05, 04:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got banned from a wargaming forum right after 9/11 because I...surprise...brought in the idea that "evil" was involved in the attack.

Well, for the long story, the day after 9/11, the administrators decided to shut down the board for the rest of the week for things to calm down. However, for those overseas, and whatnot, the board was the only place they could get the news about the event, as a running commentary was being made by the members who had access to a TV. The decision to close it down didn't sit well with everybody, including myself, because as a tight-knit community, many of us didn't feel like going somewhere else (another forum) to discuss the tragic event.

So when they finally re-opened the board, they put up some temporary rules about discussing 9/11. I think they were along the lines that religion couldn't be discussed concerning the event. wtf? They also said that anybody that breaks these rules would be suspended for 2 weeks.

Well, one day I posted a few of those many pictures circulating the Net of the burning buildings. The few I posted where of those images where it looked like the smoke coming out of the towers had a demon's face in it. Well, that was it. I left the board for a few hours or so, and when I came back, I discovered that I was suspended. Why? Not for what my post said...but for how the rest of the thread developed. Meaning that somehow my original post got the other people talking about religion and evil (that men do). Amazing...I got suspended for what other people said.

Well, in the meantime, a fellow member formed their own temporary forum on Delphi-Forums to discuss 9/11. Well, apparently several people ended up getting suspended as well, and it left us bumfudled about the moderators. We kept saying how they just didn't get it. Well, some of our disatisfaction on the other forum got back to the mods on the wargame forum and by the time my 2 weeks were over, I found out that that I was permantly banned along with 3 other guys, IIRC. So here again, I got banned on one forum for what I said on another. Talk about total BS.

I tried a few times to re-register with different accounts with new emails and stuff, but they eventually found me out just by the style of my posts. Bastards. Surprisingly, the only cool mod was the one from Australia. The one from Ohio who was originally just a fan who ran the main Mod site before the game even came out, ended up actually being hired by the company, became a real jerk after gaining some power.
Old 02-21-05, 04:22 PM

preach!

yes, you can argue that they have a rite to edit/delete posts, but to stop people from sharing opinions just ruins the point of a messagboard in the first place.
Old 02-21-05, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey

Well, one day I posted a few of those many pictures circulating the Net of the burning buildings. The few I posted where of those images where it looked like the smoke coming out of the towers had a demon's face in it.
pics?
Old 02-21-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
They're probably just losers in real life and want something in cyberspace where they have absolute control.
No probably about it... THEY ARE! I can say this with confidence because I've been involved with other boards (where I used to be a moderator) whose moderators acted the same way.... the private sections of the board exposed the ugly truth.
Old 02-21-05, 04:26 PM

Pics?
Old 02-21-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This is how you ban someone in style

http://Removed/articles.php?a=2181

EDIT - Oh can you not post links to that site here?
Old 02-21-05, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

preach!

yes, you can argue that they have a rite to edit/delete posts, but to stop people from sharing opinions just ruins the point of a messagboard in the first place.
Master, and I'll say again, it's not so much the opinions, but it's how those opinions are expressed. I'm not beating you or anyone else up.....I'm not an enemy or a dvdaf forum fanboy...just because I check in with the forums and start a few threads(which were both influenced by the ones at dvdtalk). I'm just saying that there have been some people who were offering up good info...but would make others feel badly by saying they had "shitty" taste in film or calling them names without a sarcastic smiley or wink...which is what those icons are for. If people can't act civil and half way polite about things...they don't deserve to be on some forums.
Old 02-21-05, 05:00 PM

i never said anyone had "shitty" taste. that guy who i told off constantly challenged my tastes, but the mods, once again, didnt do shit. then, i decided to give him some of his won medicine in a non-hurtful way and i got banned. opinions? that site wont let me have any.
Old 02-21-05, 05:10 PM

i never said anyone had "shitty" taste. that guy who i told off constantly challenged my tastes, but the mods, once again, didnt do shit. then, i decided to give him some of his won medicine in a non-hurtful way and i got banned. opinions? that site wont let me have any.
Sorry Master, I never said any names on the "name calling" problem. I was member #70 there....and been there long enough to have seen quite a bit of that.
Old 02-21-05, 05:13 PM

can you please stop defending the fucking site i posted here to offer support and tell my story not to be challenged agian and again by the same fucking person saying the same goddamn thing. Please, if you want to argue for the sake of arguing get a life.

i've had it up to here with people, all of them using the "DVD Talk" tag going against me. Are you guys like a clan or something that when one of you gets challenged you all rush to his aid to take down little old me?
Old 02-21-05, 05:19 PM

can you please stop defending the fucking site i posted here to offer support and tell my story not to be challenged agian and again by the same fucking person saying the same goddamn thing. Please, if you want to argue for the sake of arguing get a life.
This is why you get banned. You're a child.
Old 02-21-05, 05:21 PM

oh? and you're annoying. seriously every three minutes you come on here, challenging whoever says the site is unfair. Just back off, man. No one is saying anything that is unfactual or even out of line. Why must you correct everyone, huh? You think you're better than us?
Old 02-21-05, 05:23 PM

I wonder If I'll be banned?
Old 02-21-05, 05:25 PM

um...that's funny? okay, partner, laugh your ass off but please this forum was made for people to share experiences not challenge them and threadcrap all over them. if you want to share your opinion thats great but don't act all high and mighty while you're repeating the same damn thing for the tenth time
Old 02-21-05, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They will ban you if your opinion does not fit there's,the board is crap and stoped going there along time ago.
Old 02-21-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You probably should relax, Shake. It looks odd that you went off on Gut right after he stated that he wasn't talking about you when he referred to the name calling that goes on there.

Getting back on topic, I just checked back over there because of the link Thriller provided us and wow, it's just bordering on ridiculous now. Kudos for them trying to create a utopia messageboard where everything goes the way they want it to, but as a member of various boards over the past four years, I know that it's not at all realistic, even when you drive away people for the most minute reasons.
Old 02-21-05, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Al Padrino
Getting back on topic, I just checked back over there because of the link Thriller provided us and wow, it's just bordering on ridiculous now. Kudos for them trying to create a utopia messageboard where everything goes the way they want it to, but as a member of various boards over the past four years, I know that it's not at all realistic, even when you drive away people for the most minute reasons.
Yeah, I've been checking back from time to time, solely for the laughs. If these don't at least make you chuckle and want to scream, "IT'S AN INTERNET FORUM" then I'm not sure that you're breathing:

"Being the place to 'talk some flicks' is exactly what we are trying to get away from."

-This one I find particularly funny, since the site is called "film-talk"

"Our objective is not to provide a forum for people to express their opinions."

-Le gasp, opinions on an internet forum??!?

"We will either thrive or we will die, but we will not simply exist."

Heh.

-JP

Last edited by NatrlBornThrllr; 02-21-05 at 05:58 PM.
Old 02-21-05, 06:11 PM

yup. i hope their boards go down the crapper. wither that or the mods are replaced with sensible people.
Old 02-21-05, 06:24 PM

Eh, I've got no ill-intent for their site...just not for me (though I suppose that choice was made for me, but it's all the same, I'd have slowly phased myself out upon seeing the direction they're heading in). They just saved me a month or so of my time...but I hope things work well for those that enjoy the site and the way things are going.

-JP

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.