Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

So I Got Banned from the DVD Aficionado Forum

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-05, 08:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Asking members to not swear or talk about "mature" content is entirely different from not allowing people to express their opinions on a public forum.
Old 02-21-05, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Master Shake 05
here is the predator topic. As you can see, they deleted both of my "extreme" comments and made it look like i retracted them:

http://www.film-talk.com/forums/inde...showtopic=5006

Also, for your viewing pleasure, the AVP thread which started the whole buzz:

http://www.film-talk.com/forums/inde...pic=4994&st=15

Enjoy!!!! EDIT: Yeh, i was in a bad mood that day but that fuckin guy was seriously getting on my nerves.
I don't know what the deleted posts contained, but if they continued along the same nonsensical thread-crapping lines, the forum seems better off for your absence. You may want to read up on the behavior expected of you here before getting another account banned on another forum.

DJ
Old 02-21-05, 08:47 AM

There has been alot of turmoil over there lately(and I think alot of it is unecesarrily been caused and brought to the forefront by the mods) but it seems to be calming down now. I still really enjoy the conversations over there and value the information others share so I'll stay for the time being.
Old 02-21-05, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
Asking members to not swear or talk about "mature" content is entirely different from not allowing people to express their opinions on a public forum.
But it's not a public forum. It is a private forum that the public has been allowed to participate in. The owners of the forum can restrict whatever speech they want to. Especially for those with "free" access. (pay/donated access will probably be restricted to the rules agreed to when they signed)
Old 02-21-05, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sracer
But it's not a public forum. It is a private forum that the public has been allowed to participate in. The owners of the forum can restrict whatever speech they want to. Especially for those with "free" access. (pay/donated access will probably be restricted to the rules agreed to when they signed)
Oh, so any loon can own a message board and be his own little Hitler. Yay for that.
Old 02-21-05, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, so any loon can own a message board and be his own little Hitler. Yay for that.
uh, yeah. Welcome to the internet.
Old 02-21-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you think a message board is owned by a loon and being run in a manner you dislike, you can choose not to participate. Voila! The magic of free will!

If you like to ruin threads, start your own message board and have at it.

DJ
Old 02-21-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This reminds me of the WrestlingClassics message board...
Old 02-21-05, 11:34 AM

no, those were not my average posts there. The guy i got in an argument with had basically challenged my opinion in numerous other threads and, since he was in with the mods, didn't even get a slap on the wrists. When i finally got fed up they made a whole big case over it and banned me.

EDIT: By the way djtoell, i do kno the rules. Its just that over there, i witnessed numerous acounts of people who were "budd buddy" with the owners breaking them, and i decided what the hell. It wasn't fair wither way.

Last edited by Master Shake 05; 02-21-05 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-21-05, 11:57 AM
Retired

Seems like the mods are overly strict there, but those posts where rude/thread craps and I have to assume the deleted ones were worse. Still banning seems harsh.

At any rate, it's best to just avoid sites where the mods are like that,and if you post here avoid the rude tones. Post opinions thoughtfully, courteously and in the proper threads (i.e. don't crap on AvP in a thread discussing the extras on the DVD) and you'll be fine.

If you see members breaking rules, use the report post to the moderator link (little red trianle in bottom left corner) rather than arguing with them. The mods here enforce the rules fairly and don't play favorites.
Old 02-21-05, 12:05 PM

i just threadcrapped my pants.

Just kidding. At any rate, I'm not to upset about it. That site only got, like, 3 hits a day. Total.
Old 02-21-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
Still banning seems harsh.
Not for some of the former members. If they were face to face with me and acted like they did....I'd do more than hit them with a harsh banning, they needed to be slapped, if not by mom and dad...then by the one they are being a total asshole to.

You can't call someone ignorant because they like a film that you do not. You can't just threadcrap when you feel like it...at least not there.

Dude, I don't visit that forum ever, but if these examples you posted are any indication of your average posts over there, I can understand why they would get fed up and eventually ban you.
Yes, it's the same style he used over there....and it got old fast. That shit belongs in a chatroom for 10 year olds.

Ed is a fuckin douchebag.
Am I still in the dvdtalk forums? Sounds like the 14 year old who lives down the street.

Sure, they own it, but you can't just create a message board and tell the people that they can't express opinions.
If they can't express it without being an ass...then kick them out, period.

At any rate, I'm not to upset about it.

And BTW....I've donated $ more than twice, mainly for the dvd collection site itself. If I were to act like an asshole...I'd be banned in a heartbeat.
Old 02-21-05, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This thread has inspired me to join up and see how quickly I can get banned
Old 02-21-05, 02:34 PM

Go for it =)

And, gut, i respect your opinions but if you would see how things were run there you'd have the same opinion. And i kno the bulk of your comments were directed at me, but thats ok. I was an ass during my last few days, but it was for a good reason.
Old 02-21-05, 02:34 PM
Banned

Good luck Squirrel!
Old 02-21-05, 02:37 PM

There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of Movie message boards on the internet. Don't spend so much time whining about DVDAF/Film-Talk, I'm sure there are other forums starving for members like you.
Old 02-21-05, 02:38 PM

....sure!

This forum needs me becuase apparently i'm the new jackass! yes!
Old 02-21-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

And, gut, i respect your opinions but if you would see how things were run there you'd have the same opinion.
I'm not blind or stupid...I do see. And...I don't agree with everything thats going on over there. In fact, I don't spend all that much time there....except for maintaining 2 weekly threads and popping in other sections every once in a while. I use dvdaf for the library tracking and thats always been my focus. Most of my forum time is spent here.

I'm just saying that there are ways of talking to each other, in any forum, and some don't handle insulting comments very well, and I don't blame them.
Old 02-21-05, 02:51 PM

me neither. thats why i went "crazy"

seriously, thats old news. why people are escalating everything escapes me.
Old 02-21-05, 02:55 PM
Banned

Am I still in the dvdtalk forums? Sounds like the 14 year old who lives down the street.
And now...U R TEH DUCHEBAAG!!!!
Old 02-21-05, 03:06 PM

Sure, they own it, but you can't just create a message board and tell the people that they can't express opinions.
so true. so very, very true.
Old 02-21-05, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

so true. so very, very true.
No, it is NOT "so true, so very, very true." What makes you think that you can't just create a message board and restrict people from expressing opinions?!
Old 02-21-05, 03:52 PM
Retired

What would be the point of the message board then?

It's reasonable enforce how members express their opinions, but if you're just going to say you don't want people posting opinions period, why the fuck start a board in the first place?
Old 02-21-05, 03:54 PM

exactly. worst. messageboard. evar.
Old 02-21-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So how would it work if you can't express an opinion?

Let's see...

Thread title: "Do you like Star Wars?"
No replies.

Thread title: "Are Amazon.com a trustworthy retailer?"
No replies.

Thread title: "Is it worth me buying this import for the DTS?"
No replies.

Thread title: "What do you like most about DVDAfficianado?"
No replies.

Thread title: "Will Twin Peaks Season 2 ever be released?"
No replies.

Thread title: "Your favourite DVDs"
No replies.

Thread title: "Is this DVD available to buy?"
1 reply.

Sounds great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.