Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New movie beginning on the Alien vs. Predator DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New movie beginning on the Alien vs. Predator DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-05, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by REL77
I thought that Anderson really had started filming it with an R rating, and then in mid-film, the studio changed it to PG-13 against his wishes, so there would have been filmed.
Sounds like Anderson was reading about King Arthur and came up with that story in five minutes...
Originally Posted by El-Kabong
That sort of ploy doesnt work when we've seen the monsters for the last 20 freakin' years. Face it - an Alien isnt scary anymore. It's value as a frightening monster is deminished when you can buy them as an action figure at Toys R Us.
I see your point, but also disagree. You can still use the old tools for the same job today - just make it entertaining. Don't depend on the monster to scare your audience. Depend on the story's use of said monster.
Originally Posted by thelwig14
I wish Hollywood would end the trend of putting females in lead action roles.
That's highly unfair to action heroines and the actors who play them. Would you say that to Aliens star Sigourney Weaver?
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
QuiGonJosh speaks the truth.
Yup, Satan's lacin' up his ice skates, 'cause me and Jack are agreeing with QuiGonJosh!
Old 01-26-05, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
I see your point, but also disagree. You can still use the old tools for the same job today - just make it entertaining. Don't depend on the monster to scare your audience. Depend on the story's use of said monster.
Also, remember that not everyone who sees the movie saw the first one, hard as it is for franchise fans to believe (including me!). So some of the old tricks are new to some viewers. So while us wily veterans roll our eyes, others may be jumping out of their skin.

Last edited by Bill Needle; 01-26-05 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-26-05, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's highly unfair to action heroines and the actors who play them. Would you say that to Aliens star Sigourney Weaver?

Actually, her character was fine for the first two because they did not turn her into Rambo. She kept a consistent feminity with that role that never bordered on ridiculous in the first two. Turning women into rambo asskickers is a joke and has no place in reality or in movies. It is like the Sparks playing the Lakers.
Old 01-27-05, 03:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, Satan's lacin' up his ice skates, 'cause me and Jack are agreeing with QuiGonJosh!
OWNED!!!!
Old 01-27-05, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nightmaster
If you didn't like it at the theater why would 10 more theoretical minutes of footage make you change your mind?
Because at least it would be an attempt to improve it.
Old 01-27-05, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish Hollywood would end the trend of putting females in lead action roles.
Personally, I'd be fine with it if they just made explicit nudity a standard part of such roles.
Old 01-27-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by nightmaster
If you didn't like it at the theater why would 10 more theoretical minutes of footage make you change your mind?
Actually, the DC of The Abyss was like that for me. The first time I saw it, I thought it was okay, but someone convinced me to watch the DC later on and I liked it much better from just those few added parts.
Old 01-27-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turning women into rambo asskickers is a joke and has no place in reality or in movies. It is like the Sparks playing the Lakers.
Wow. Just wow.