Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

New movie beginning on the Alien vs. Predator DVD?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Old 01-25-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, what is this "all new beginning" to the movie that I'm seeing advertised on the TV ads for the Alien vs. Predator DVD?

Last edited by Snowmaker; 01-25-05 at 09:40 PM.
Old 01-25-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: In a small pocket universe hoping to someday become a Moderator Emeritus at DVDTalk.com!
It's been discussed before. It's all small amout of footage that was added back in and it has been described as nothing special / significant. It's more a ploy to sell the DVD.
Old 01-25-05, 10:27 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's more or less like a "teaser" that you'd see at the beginning of a TV show before the title credit sequence runs.

Spoiler:
It's basically a scene from the Whaling Station circa 1904 (which explains the 'every 100 year thing', in which a guy is running around the grounds being pursued by a Predator (from which the camera is seeing what the Predator is seeing) to which then the guy runs into a building, shuts the door, however the Predator gets in without the guy knowing (in stealth mode), and just as the Predator is about to launch the killing blow, an Alien jumps out from the right side of the screen at the Predator. Screen goes black and opening title and credits start. Alternate opening only runs for a little over 2 minutes.

And that's it for additional footage.
Old 01-25-05, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

While it is a very short and simple addition I really liked the alternate opening.
Old 01-25-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That sounds like a much better opening!

Anderson probably wanted to set up the monsters for a bigger reveal later. Then again, that sort of ploy doesn't work when every single poster, ad etc. uses said monsters...
Old 01-26-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I still won't buy the movie until there is an R-rated Director's Cut. I wasn't that impressed in the theater.
Old 01-26-05, 07:10 AM
Banned

There isn't going to be an R-Rated cut, they never shot footage that would be considered R material. Sorry, but the movie still is a good deal of fun and I really dug the new opening, good set-up. Why it wasn't in the theatrical boggles the mind.
Old 01-26-05, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
There isn't going to be an R-Rated cut, they never shot footage that would be considered R material. Sorry, but the movie still is a good deal of fun and I really dug the new opening, good set-up. Why it wasn't in the theatrical boggles the mind.
I thought that Anderson really had started filming it with an R rating, and then in mid-film, the studio changed it to PG-13 against his wishes, so there would have been filmed.
Old 01-26-05, 08:02 AM
Banned

Anderson is notorious for lying to the public, he said that there would be a DC, but everyone who worked on the film has said that just about everything they shot is in the finished film. Same thing for Event Horizon.
Old 01-26-05, 08:40 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Alternate opening sounds like an improvement over the theatrical. Still a bit of a tease though.
Old 01-26-05, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by REL77
I thought that Anderson really had started filming it with an R rating, and then in mid-film, the studio changed it to PG-13 against his wishes, so there would have been filmed.
Yeah, that's what I remember reading too.

Well, maybe I'll wait until its first price cut then. I really have no urge to own this right away.

Has anyone listened to the Anderson commentary yet? Is there any mention of any of this?
Old 01-26-05, 09:24 AM

Has anyone listened to the Anderson commentary yet? Is there any mention of any of this?
I listened to it this morning and while I don't remember everything I do recall him making some comments about the fact he was surprised it got a PG-13 rating as it was given the amount of blood/violence. He reasoned that since it was non-human though the rating board was probably more lenient. I don't recall anything about a different cut or that there might be a future version.

To be honest it was better than I remember, I think my expectations were too high when I first saw it and probably too low when I saw it again Sure it has it's problems but it is a good mindless action flix.
Old 01-26-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

but other regions are getting an uncut in april...so there has to be something out there....in this day and age it seems like they are shooting more footage and alternate takes just for dvd release....i saw it for free in theaters, didn't enjoy it enough to buy....might revisit for a Directors cut.

adults need to start going to rated R movies again...
Old 01-26-05, 11:12 AM
Banned

it's not an uncut in april, it's merely a 2-disc I believe.
Old 01-26-05, 11:14 AM

That's all I've been able to find so far... just more features nothing substantially different w/ the movie itself though.
Old 01-26-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
adults need to start going to rated R movies again...
Totally agree. Much too much focus is given on the MPAA rating these days. Barring the conservative religious sector, do people really place THAT much empasis on a movie rating? If a movie has a solid script, talented actors and a competent director - audiences will attend their theater. Positive word of mouth spreads like wildfire. Not always the case, but often times. I'm a single guy in his early 30's, no kids, and I am a bit disgruntled that many 'R' rated premises are watered down and cut for the widest possible demographic faction. Cool, but not with a film franchise like Aliens/Predator. With a movie like that, I want my blood and gore to the extreme.

If nobody wanted to watch the more risque material, studios wouldn't release as many DVD uncut, unrated versions of theatrical PG-13 films now, would they?
Old 01-26-05, 02:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
That sounds like a much better opening!

Anderson probably wanted to set up the monsters for a bigger reveal later. Then again, that sort of ploy doesn't work when every single poster, ad etc. uses said monsters...
That sort of ploy doesnt work when we've seen the monsters for the last 20 freakin' years. Face it - an Alien isnt scary anymore. It's value as a frightening monster is deminished when you can buy them as an action figure at Toys R Us.

This is the biggest flaw of the film. Dont be all coy, withholding the monsters until The Big Reveal midway through the movie. Give us a mad, savage alien on predator / predator on alien beatdown from frame one!
Old 01-26-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by El-Kabong
This is the biggest flaw of the film. Dont be all coy, withholding the monsters until The Big Reveal midway through the movie. Give us a mad, savage alien on predator / predator on alien beatdown from frame one!
Man, I totally agree. That's why this movie was somewhat of a disappointment to me. What's worse is that on the extras disc of the R3 version, Anderson points out that he wanted to make his movie like Ridley Scott's where you didn't get to see the creature for 45 minutes into the film. What's the point if everyone has already seen Aliens and Predators for years now? The point of this movie SHOULD be to see them outright kicking each others ass for the entire film. I pretty sure that's what everyone expected, and I don't understand why Anderson couldn't have forseen that (or even wanted it himself in the first place).
Old 01-26-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Geofferson
Alternate opening sounds like an improvement over the theatrical. Still a bit of a tease though.
I have the DVD in front of me, but missed the movie in the theaters. Can anyone briefly describe the theatrical version opening - as in, what is the difference? Or was it just footage simply added for the DVD?
Old 01-26-05, 03:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I have the DVD in front of me, but missed the movie in the theaters. Can anyone briefly describe the theatrical version opening - as in, what is the difference? Or was it just footage simply added for the DVD?
How about loading the DVD and watching it yourself. Both versions are on the disc. Since the alternate opening is just mearly an added scene, there's no real big deal with seamless branching.
Old 01-26-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
How about loading the DVD and watching it yourself. Both versions are on the disc. Since the alternate opening is just mearly an added scene, there's no real big deal with seamless branching.
I can't do that. Can't you see I'm working?!

I didn't know the original was also on the disc. So sorry for wasting everyone's time.
Old 01-26-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
No apologizes needed. Some of us are also working but JUST DON'T FEEL LIKE BEING HERE!!!!!
Old 01-26-05, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Well, I still won't buy the movie until there is an R-rated Director's Cut. I wasn't that impressed in the theater.
If you didn't like it at the theater why would 10 more theoretical minutes of footage make you change your mind?
Old 01-26-05, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The new beginning was the best part. I wish it would have come with an alternate middle and ending as well. What a hearbreaking movie experience. I wish Hollywood would end the trend of putting females in lead action roles.
Old 01-26-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh
Anderson is notorious for lying to the public, he said that there would be a DC, but everyone who worked on the film has said that just about everything they shot is in the finished film. Same thing for Event Horizon.

speaks the truth. Script shows nothing that supports PWSA's claim. The film is complete as is. He lied about the uncut version to save himself from mob justice. simple as that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.