Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Unrated The Grudge planned..... (May 3rd)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-05, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=3394

January 17: Unrated GRUDGE DVD on the way

Fango got an advance look at and listen to the DVD of Takashi Shimizu’s THE GRUDGE, due February 1 from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, and on the filmmakers/cast commentary track, producers Sam Raimi and Rob Tapert reveal that a disc of an unrated, more extreme version of the film will be coming out later this year. This edition, they reveal, will include scenes trimmed for the PG-13 rating, including moments involving child endangerment and at least one very cool-sounding setpiece (which we won’t spoil here). This cut may also eliminate a scene or two in THE GRUDGE designed to explain the supernatural concepts to American audiences. Sony Pictures has yet to officially announce this DVD, but we’ll keep you posted.
Old 01-18-05, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I was debating on getting it or not.. now I will just wait.
Old 01-19-05, 03:11 AM
Cool New Member

I thought the soon-to-be released DVD was going to contain an R-rated version of the film with extended scenes, and now they say there's going to be an unrated version with even MORE scenes that were cut out!? Hmmph, sounds like a greedy, maniacal scheme to needlessly milk more money out of anyone who actually liked this remake.

They should do us all a favor and release the other three Japanese Ju-On films on DVD instead of more of this domesticated Hollywood drek.
Old 01-19-05, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The upcoming DVD is the theatrical cut, there was no mention of an extended cut for the original DVD. Apparently it will be the next DVD after the one streeting in February.
Old 01-19-05, 03:27 AM

yeah, more than likely this unrated version is the thing you heard about the R rated version. If this unrated cut were submitted to the MPAA, it'd probably be the R rated cut.
Old 01-19-05, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks very much, i was going to buy it but now NO WAY. I'll wait for the unrated version.
Old 01-19-05, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the heads-up. I was looking forward to buying it in a couple weeks, but it looks like I'll have to wait a little while longer.
Old 01-19-05, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by roger_d
Thanks very much, i was going to buy it but now NO WAY. I'll wait for the unrated version.
Agreed. The unrated version already sounds like a better cut, which will stay more true to the tone of the original films. I like the idea of the unrated version getting rid of some of the expository scenes. I hate things like that in movies. If you can't say something with imagery in film, then you are working with a compromised script. Also, without exposition you leave things more open to the viewer’s interpretation. In a horror movie it adds to the fear level, as it welcomes the viewers to project their own darker fears into the film.
Old 01-19-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It sucks that Shimizu had to water down the film for a PG-13 rating. Looks like all we'll be getting are kiddie-friendly flicks soon. Oh well, at least we'll eventually get the uncut versions, though we'll have to wait an extra six months or so. I gotta say it's a smart play for the studio $$$-wise though.
Old 01-19-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the info. I was going to pick this up, but will wait for the extended edition.
Old 01-19-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,259 Likes on 837 Posts
Oh geez he's gonna make the movie more japanese. Well woop dee doo, we already have 4 of those.
Old 01-19-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i guess I'll just rent this now and wait for the extended version.....thanks
Old 01-19-05, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
That's the second time Sam has said before the theatrical cut DVD came out that there's going to be an extended cut version (the other being Spidey 2.5). Cheers Sam!
Old 01-19-05, 08:26 AM

Looks like I'll wait for the unrated one as well.
Old 01-19-05, 08:28 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Nice.
Old 01-19-05, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks! Now I'll be waiting
Old 01-19-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Great news! Thanks for the heads up.
Old 01-19-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the region 3 IVL release and it's rated IIb. However, not sure if that means it could also be comparable, if not just the same as the intended "uncut" version yet releases. If so, I have no idea why you guys remain stuck in region 1 land ... in full support of Hollywood, which for the most part is cranking out about 1 great film in about 20 these days anyway.
Old 01-19-05, 09:20 PM

I just want to know how Sarah Michelle Gellar could justify leaving Buffy for this movie!?!
Old 01-19-05, 10:11 PM

Buffy,while a fun show was played out by now Critter,so time to move on

Most tv shows run out of steam after so many seasons. Look what happened to The Simpsons(so lackluster the past few years) and Married With Children. Then don't forget Friends(which I never liked,but was more generic with each season) among many other shows.

Oh and the film was a good bizzare film and fairly creepy. So I am not mad at Sarah from doing this film,instead of Buffy

If the dvd is cheap on release week(like $15.99 or lower),then I 'may' get it. But I am pretty sure I won't,since I am pretty much on a dvd freeze right now(no more space left)..and will see what happens.

..and your welcome everyone. I just happened to come across that information while browsing around and thought I would give everyone a heads up.
Old 01-19-05, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by visitor Q
I have the region 3 IVL release and it's rated IIb. However, not sure if that means it could also be comparable, if not just the same as the intended "uncut" version yet releases. If so, I have no idea why you guys remain stuck in region 1 land ... in full support of Hollywood, which for the most part is cranking out about 1 great film in about 20 these days anyway.
are you talking about the original or the remake? if the remaks, where did you get it?
Old 01-20-05, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Again, great heads up on this! I was just about to preorder the Feb streetdate PG-13 disc....

Old 01-20-05, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll grudgingly buy this. Damn, I'm good.
Old 01-20-05, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,736 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by critterdvd
I just want to know how Sarah Michelle Gellar could justify leaving Buffy for this movie!?!
It's often been mentioned that Buffy stopped at season seven because Sarah wanted out.

However, I don't think an eighth season of BTVS was ever going to happen.

Joss Whedon wanted to end it at season seven. (When asked if season 7 was going to be the final season, he replied with "God, I hope so.")

Seasons six and seven underperformed for UPN and were expensive to produce, so I don't think UPN would've wanted any more seasons even if Joss and Sarah pushed for them.
Old 01-20-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by visitor Q
I have the region 3 IVL release and it's rated IIb. However, not sure if that means it could also be comparable, if not just the same as the intended "uncut" version yet releases. If so, I have no idea why you guys remain stuck in region 1 land ...
Yes, where did you get this? I'm not stuck in R1 land.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.