Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Unrated The Grudge planned..... (May 3rd)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Unrated The Grudge planned..... (May 3rd)

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's often been mentioned that Buffy stopped at season seven because Sarah wanted out.

However, I don't think an eighth season of BTVS was ever going to happen.
No, but SMG did turn down 2 episodes of Angel Season 5 she was originally scheduled to appear in to make this film.....
...and they kept that storyline for at least one episode of Angel anyway....and it was totally ridiculous.....having some stand-in play her from across a room....
Old 01-20-05, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll be waiting for the Unrated release then. I'll just rent the PG-13,and wait for Unrated(Or R Rated?) DVD.
Old 01-20-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TNAJason
I'll be waiting for the Unrated release then. I'll just rent the PG-13,and wait for Unrated(Or R Rated?) DVD.
Me too.
Old 01-20-05, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm waiting for the Unrated version...
Old 02-01-05, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well since I have been having some great luck lately. I decided to treat myself and pick up the dvd along with Ju-On(Best Buy has a great two for $25 deal with week).

Since I have not seen any reviews at all for the dvd. I will give a few reasons why the dvd is worth picking up,if you are a fan of the film.

1-cool creepy poster art. No floating giant heads!

2-OAR only release. For a big box office hit,it is rare for a P&S edition to not also be released. I even witnessed a person at BB get upset that no P&S version existed for either film! So it's good to support an OAR only release for a change.

3-great transfer and audio,which is no surprise. If you have a surround system,this may give it a work out and freak you out/wake the neighbors/household. So watch it loud and late at night in the dark for a true atmospheric experiance.

4-extras are alright,the making of featurettes are informative. Though the 'science of fear' feature was rather boring,but if you find it interesting. You may like it,though the scientist tells us what we already know about fear and horror film viewing. Cool creepy trailer for the film(I missed all the trailers and tv spots when originally released,so this was nice). Commentary seems like it may actually be worthy of listening to from what I sampled throughout the film.

5-it's a good creepy film and who knows how long it will be until the R rated version is released. Still pretty intense for a PG-13 film,and if some scenes are cut out for the Directors Cut. It would be worth keeping for that alone.

Old 02-01-05, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm gonna wait for the uncut version.
Old 02-01-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same here on waiting for the Uncut version. Im glad i checked here 1st becuase im tired of dubble dipping on movies! Money is too tight to spend now and then again later on the same movie. Also money isnt always an issue, but i refuse to fall for thier tricks.
Old 02-01-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn I fell into the trap. I bought it even tho I said I wasn't because,I found it for $10.00 at Gameswap(A local Game/DVD store) SEALED. This store is clueless about how much to give... I sold a bunch of bad PS1/N64 games there and got $75,when all EB offered me was $28. I love the clueless people
Old 02-02-05, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
saw the PG-13 version in theaters and I didn't like the movie enough to really want to purchase it on DVD. hopefully the unrated version may change my mind.
Old 02-02-05, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
3-great transfer and audio,which is no surprise. If you have a surround system,this may give it a work out and freak you out/wake the neighbors/household. So watch it loud and late at night in the dark for a true atmospheric experiance.
Saw it last night. BEST use of sound I've ever heard. Wow!

A movie hasn't creeped me out so much since Hellraiser 2.

Didn't like the ending though.
Old 02-03-05, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I hope this isn't going to be like the 2-Disc SE of Adaptation that I'm still waiting on. Or the multi-disc SE of The Passion of the Christ that was supposed to be announced for X-Mas last year. Both those were talked about publically by insiders too, but have yet to materialize. I'm getting to where I don't trust any of these rumors from the studios and/or movie participants anymore. I hope I'm being unduly pessimistic though, since an unrated cut would be cool as hell. Everyone I know hated this film because it was too similar to The Ring, but I loved it, and even prefer it to the original Japanese version (except for the guy playing SMG's boyfriend who brought the movie down a notch every time he was in a scene). Maybe I'll grab the current DVD and pass it off to a relative or something down the line.
Old 02-03-05, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joliom
Maybe I'll grab the current DVD and pass it off to a relative or something down the line.
That's the way I see it. When you really like a movie, you have to get the first DVD that comes out. When a better version comes along, you can always sell your old one and make a couple of bucks so that the difference isn't so bad. I just feel cheated when I buy another edition of something that basically has the same stuff on it as the original save for ONE frickin' thing that compells you to keep your first one. It really pissed me off that the Hellboy 3-disc didn't offer much more except for an extended cut, and it left off the damn "Hellboy Recommends" cartoons from the first set that I really loved! I couldn't unload my 2-disc because of that!
Old 02-03-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I may pick the original DVD off someone for pennies after the unrated one comes out so I can have both versions.
Old 02-03-05, 01:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Hopefully it will be a step up from this version because to tell you the truth...it bit! I was looking forward to seeing it and rented it the other day. How many times can you see a decrepit looking kid open their eyes and/or mouth?

This was not even a movie just ghost scenes of a woman and her son strewn about in creepy atmosphere for shock value. There was no plot, no character development, no nothing. It was so flat I couldn't care what happened to Karen (SMG)'s character or anyone who knew her.

What a waste, plus it was done much, much better in "The Ring" (American and Japanese versions).
Old 02-03-05, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Saw it last night. BEST use of sound I've ever heard. Wow!

A movie hasn't creeped me out so much since Hellraiser 2.

Didn't like the ending though.

The foot steps bouncing from speaker to speaker was creepy! Loved it!
Old 02-03-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
critterdvd,

You could say Sarah had a grudge of sorts with Buffy.
Old 03-02-05, 12:50 AM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Columbia will release "The Grudge: Extended Cut" with 8 minutes of new footage on May 31st.
Old 03-02-05, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

sweet.
Old 03-02-05, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by natevines
I'll grudgingly buy this. Damn, I'm good.
HA HA! Me too.

I was also on the fence about getting the DVD, I'm glad I got outbid on ebay for one the other day. I'll just wait til the new one comes out.
Old 03-02-05, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Figures. I bought it yesterday thinking the uncut version probably wouldn't be out until later this year.
Old 03-02-05, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
Columbia will release "The Grudge: Extended Cut" with 8 minutes of new footage on May 31st.
Excellent. I'll be double dipping on this one.
Old 03-02-05, 07:57 AM

Nice, we finally have a date. I've actually managed to hold off buying the current release in hopes that this would come out soon. I wonder if it'll have any more extras? Maybe a 2-disc set?
Old 03-02-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ianholm
Excellent. I'll be double dipping on this one.
Me too. I'll just trade my other one win for some cash and purchase the unrated version.
Old 03-02-05, 08:38 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Hopeing for a 2-disc set on this one. Good news though!
Old 03-02-05, 10:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mao

When was this announced?

Cool news nonetheless though.

I was listening too the commentary and durring the 'rooftop' sequence. Sam mentions the scene probably being cut from the 'unrated' version of the film. When asked how long that version would run. He says he is unsure,but with the rooftop sequence deleted and a couple things added,it would probably be the same length as the PG-13 cut,or a minute or two longer.

So if it really is 8 minutes longer,I sure hope they didn't delete the 'rooftop' sequence. It's pretty short anyway,full of atmosphere and works despite being an 'exposition' sequence.

But I will keep the PG-13 cut just in case,until some reviews start pouring in on whether the sequence was deleted or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.