Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD shoplifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-05, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
At the supermarket yesterday, I saw some guy take one of those plastic bags -- the ones on the spools which you're supposed to fill with fruit or veggies -- and he just stuck it in his pocket without filling it up with fruit or veggies. He started to walk out of the store with the bag so I alerted one of the cashiers. She told the manager, who chased after the guy in the parking lot and got the bag back. I hate it when people try to get something for nothing.
He should have bought one grape.
Old 01-19-05, 11:47 AM
Banned

Wait, so the manager chased after him because he took A bag? A bag? Your kidding right?
Old 01-19-05, 11:48 AM
Defunct Account

Yes, he's kidding.
Old 01-19-05, 11:48 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its too bad shop owners don't have more power. It would be good to take a shoplifter out back and beat the shit of him/her. If the police came around, who would they believe? a shoplifter or hard working people behind the counter.
Old 01-19-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
At the supermarket yesterday, I saw some guy take one of those plastic bags -- the ones on the spools which you're supposed to fill with fruit or veggies -- and he just stuck it in his pocket without filling it up with fruit or veggies. He started to walk out of the store with the bag so I alerted one of the cashiers. She told the manager, who chased after the guy in the parking lot and got the bag back. I hate it when people try to get something for nothing.
"Money, get back
I'm all right Jack, keep your hands off my stack.
Money, it's a hit
Don't give me that do goody good bullshit"

The Floyd once again prove to be correct.
Old 01-19-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fok
Its too bad shop owners don't have more power. It would be good to take a shoplifter out back and beat the shit of him/her. If the police came around, who would they believe? a shoplifter or hard working people behind the counter.
Great solution. That's all we need a bunch of vigilantes.
Old 01-19-05, 12:27 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ctyankee
Great solution. That's all we need a bunch of vigilantes.
Seriously its the only way they're going to learn, the law doesn't help and most of them are back on the streets doing the same thing.
Old 01-19-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Shagrath
The one retail job I worked at in high school (Comic/Card/Game shop in a mall) actually rewarded us for catching shoplifters. We'd get a $50 bonus to our paycheck for each shoplifter we got.
A local CD/Book/Video store in my hometown had the same thing. They discontinued it supposedly when the clerks started getting overzealous in attempting to catch shoplifters (basically accusing every of a certain race or age of shoplifting).

On a slightly different note, when I was married, my then-wife worked at a clothing store at the mall. They had those big, old Sensormatic tags attached to basically all their clothing and people would, at times, use various methods to remove those tags. One time while moving the clothing racks around, she found a removed tag right along side a tooth sitting on the floor. She thought someone pulled the tag off with their teeth and ended up losing one in the process.
Old 01-19-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by paulringodaman
(Hell, I don't know if the perpatrator has a knife, knows karate, etc)
With karate I'll kick your ass....

...from here to Tienamen Square.
Old 01-19-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Fok
That's the way Dillard's sometimes does it (heck, over in Arlington, they've shot people dead for shoplifting from Dillard's).

The problem is that stores like Dillard's and others don't have a perfect track record in identifying shoplifters and have, quite often, falsely accused someone and ended up paying quite a bit in the end (Dillard's says they receive 150 complaints of such false accusations per year, if all of them ended up with jury awards of $22.5 million like former Texas Tech QB Zebbie Lethridge's did, that would cost the company $3.375 billion per year).
Old 01-19-05, 02:39 PM
Banned

back in the day about 15 years ago I would lift several Penthouse mags put them under my shirt and walk away.

Never got caught.
Old 01-19-05, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by corycouger
back in the day about 15 years ago I would lift several Penthouse mags put them under my shirt and walk away.

Never got caught.

Nothing like bragging about illegal stuff
Old 01-19-05, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
So he was caught holding the bag.

*ducks talemyn
Old 01-26-05, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I didn't know this happened at my local Best Buy until today. One of the local news stations showed the surveillance video of the two men canvassing the store followed by the pursuit. (The stabbings took place off-camera outside the store.) It wasn't DVD shoplifting, but still....

http://www.nbc4.com/news/4122903/detail.html
Two Best Buy Employees Stabbed On The Job

POSTED: 9:53 am EST January 24, 2005
UPDATED: 10:18 am EST January 24, 2005

LAUREL, Md. -- Two workers are recovering after being stabbed on the job Sunday.

Police said the employees at the Best Buy on Baltimore Avenue in Laurel saw two men stealing merchandise. When they confronted the men, the suspects attacked.

Laurel Police spokesman Jim Collins said the store security guard was stabbed in the throat. The guard is in serious condition and had to have surgery. The other worker was stabbed in the hand and has been released from the hospital.

Police are looking for two men who may have escaped via a pair of black SUVs.
Old 01-26-05, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by corycouger

Never got caught.
What does this have to do with anything?
Old 01-26-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Eplicon
I didn't know this happened at my local Best Buy until today. One of the local news stations showed the surveillance video of the two men canvassing the store followed by the pursuit. (The stabbings took place off-camera outside the store.) It wasn't DVD shoplifting, but still....

http://www.nbc4.com/news/4122903/detail.html
dam that's messed up. But Baltimore is the most decrepid city in the US. I'm talking everywhere has bullet-proof glass, every other building is rundown....terrible, terrible city.
Old 01-26-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
I worked at Toys R Us for a couple of yrs... We had our share of theft. (Eventually they hired a full time security guy to sit their all day)

Usually if someone did an all-out run we'd follow and get their license number as they drive away(if they had a car) Once we caught a couple of kids stealing pokemon cards, the manager kept them in his office untill the officer and parents showed up.

About the worst I'd seen in terms of $$$ was about 6-7 empty dreamcast boxes stuffed in various nooks and crannies throughout the store one eve.

Most creative: Returning a Nintendo 64 game with batteries instead of a game inside. We only found out about this after someone purchased what they thought was a game and promptly brought it to our attention. Whoops.

It's amazing how much you learn about people working a retail/public job. Not everyone has things called character and integrity.
Old 01-26-05, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
It's amazing how much you learn about people working a retail/public job. Not everyone has things called character and integrity.
And money too.
Old 01-26-05, 10:37 PM

Some of these stories are halarious. Keep them comming. Worlds most stupid employees...

I was in a Best Buy once, browsing around when an employee in a yellow shirt and two employess in a blue shirt walk up to a kid who must have been no older than 13 or 14. One of the employees in the blue shirt points at the kid and says he saw him steal a video game. The guy in the yellow shirt grabs the kid by the arm and tells him to come with him. The kid, with his free hand, grabs onto a shelve, stuff is falling off the shelf as the security guy tries to drag him, but the kid won't let go. This kid is crying and screaming bloody murder. By now a store manager is there and telling everyone he has called the police, and for everyone to walk away. And there was a large crowed that was watching. You could tell the lines were divided pretty good, the rich shoppers who wanted to stone the child to death, and everyone else who wanted to jump the employees. It was very tense, like the nightly news when they show the palestinians fighting the Isreali army. I thought about decking the manager and seeing if a riot would break out. I should have done it, I could have claimed the store employees started a riot, enticed me to act, and I could have sued. I often think back on that day and wonder "what if...". Now whenever I go into a Best Buy I try and act very suspicious. If I see an employee I'll quickly turn back in an isle. If they ask me something I will walk away without responding. I hope one day the guy in the yellow shirt comes for me so I can kick the everliving crap out of him. And while I am at it, I'd like to stick a fistfull of mail-in rebates up his butt.
Old 01-26-05, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser
Some of these stories are halarious. Keep them comming. Worlds most stupid employees...

I was in a Best Buy once, browsing around when an employee in a yellow shirt and two employess in a blue shirt walk up to a kid who must have been no older than 13 or 14. One of the employees in the blue shirt points at the kid and says he saw him steal a video game. The guy in the yellow shirt grabs the kid by the arm and tells him to come with him. The kid, with his free hand, grabs onto a shelve, stuff is falling off the shelf as the security guy tries to drag him, but the kid won't let go. This kid is crying and screaming bloody murder. By now a store manager is there and telling everyone he has called the police, and for everyone to walk away. And there was a large crowed that was watching. You could tell the lines were divided pretty good, the rich shoppers who wanted to stone the child to death, and everyone else who wanted to jump the employees. It was very tense, like the nightly news when they show the palestinians fighting the Isreali army. I thought about decking the manager and seeing if a riot would break out. I should have done it, I could have claimed the store employees started a riot, enticed me to act, and I could have sued. I often think back on that day and wonder "what if...". Now whenever I go into a Best Buy I try and act very suspicious. If I see an employee I'll quickly turn back in an isle. If they ask me something I will walk away without responding. I hope one day the guy in the yellow shirt comes for me so I can kick the everliving crap out of him. And while I am at it, I'd like to stick a fistfull of mail-in rebates up his butt.

NPH wouldn't do that
Old 01-26-05, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DoogieHowser

so let me get this straight. You are purposly trying to look like you're stealing so that you can sue? How nice of you. You also think that if someone starts crying and making a scene that they should be allowed to get away with stealing things? Kid or not, he was stealing and should at least have his parents called so they can deal with it so he won't turn into some little kepto. When he turns 18 he will goto jail for this. He needs to learn now not to do it. I got caught shoplifting once when i was 14, I never shoplifted again because they called my dad and he took care of it.
Old 01-26-05, 11:42 PM

That story of the kid crying reminded me of a story a guy told me who worked at a grocery store. This guy was stocking shelves or something at a grocery store and he turns down an isle to see a little kid stuffing his face with candy from those bins with the scoops you always see. He just yells "Hey!" at the kid and the kid drops the candy, turns and tries to run away. The kid didn't make it far because he tripped and fell on his face, and knowing that he was done for he attempted one last defensive maneuver. What else could he do but piss his pants? This last-ditch effort paid off. Seeing all this, the grocery store worker walked away and pretended nothing happened.
Old 01-27-05, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkdc
That story of the kid crying reminded me of a story a guy told me who worked at a grocery store. This guy was stocking shelves or something at a grocery store and he turns down an isle to see a little kid stuffing his face with candy from those bins with the scoops you always see. He just yells "Hey!" at the kid and the kid drops the candy, turns and tries to run away. The kid didn't make it far because he tripped and fell on his face, and knowing that he was done for he attempted one last defensive maneuver. What else could he do but piss his pants? This last-ditch effort paid off. Seeing all this, the grocery store worker walked away and pretended nothing happened.

How old were you when you pissed your pants?
Old 01-27-05, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shtfilter
Anyway, the problem with retail theft is not the costumers!
They steal, so what, it's not my company. The real problem is when the management suspects the employees are the ones doing the stealing.
That's because they are! Employee theft is a huge problem for stores. Employees have the inside track to rob a store blind and many of them do it.
Old 01-27-05, 01:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mdkdc
That story of the kid crying reminded me of a story a guy told me who worked at a grocery store. This guy was stocking shelves or something at a grocery store and he turns down an isle to see a little kid stuffing his face with candy from those bins with the scoops you always see.
This is why I will never buy foods from those bins. Kids and adults stick their grubby hands in there and eat the merchandise right in the store.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.