Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD shoplifting

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

DVD shoplifting

Old 01-17-05, 10:11 AM
  #51  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 4,116
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
And for anyone that chases after someone over a "store's" DVDs that is simply crazy. If you had got stabbed, shot, run over or simply beaten the store would have not helped you. You know as well as I do that policy is to let mall security and/or the police handle anything after they leave your building.
Agreed. Unless your specific duties are loss prevention I don't see why any clerk would get involved with shoplifting.

I don't know how many of you have been in a situation where someone has pulled a gun or a knife on you. Fortunately for me it was just very scary ... the kind of scary where your whole body shakes afterwards.

I didn't notice anyone mention internal theft (maybe I missed it). The Wall Street Journal reports that theft by employees is significant. At the Tower Records in Stamford employees are checked when they leave the front of the store. I feel bad for them. Just as I feel bad for me when some security guy at BB or CC checks my receipt 20 steps from the cashier's register.
Old 01-17-05, 11:10 AM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kayak99
Many retail merchants will actually fire the employees who go after a thief. ( 7 Eleven for example) Any comments on the policies of BB, CC and others you work for?
Wal Mart is the same way. a regular associate can't approach a shoplifter or they can get fired. the only people who can stop a shoplifter is management or loss prevention. since most wal mart stores don't have loss prevention, and most of the managers I've met aren't real brite, you can imagine the amount of shrink the company has as a whole every year. it's no big deal to them, because they just raise the prices. it'll get to the point where they won't have "everyday low prices" anymore. you can't allow that much theft to go on and still keep prices low..
Old 01-17-05, 11:18 AM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctyankee
Agreed. Unless your specific duties are loss prevention I don't see why any clerk would get involved with shoplifting.

I don't know how many of you have been in a situation where someone has pulled a gun or a knife on you. Fortunately for me it was just very scary ... the kind of scary where your whole body shakes afterwards.

I didn't notice anyone mention internal theft (maybe I missed it). The Wall Street Journal reports that theft by employees is significant. At the Tower Records in Stamford employees are checked when they leave the front of the store. I feel bad for them. Just as I feel bad for me when some security guy at BB or CC checks my receipt 20 steps from the cashier's register.
yep, Employees are the worst. I've watched them take customer credit card numbers, and manually type them in to literally buy thousands of dollars worth of merchandise for themselves and then hand a bag off to a boyfriend or a girlfriend. at one of the stores I worked at, I took out 9 employees in one month for various crimes of credit fraud, forgery, counterfeiting, and outright theft. then aproximate total between them was $17,000.00. when asked why they done it, everyone of them told me they wanted the stuff, but the store didn't pay them enough to actually purchase it. we also checked employees leaving the building, and you'd be surprised at how many people would actually tried to get by with taking merchandise out. they actually made my job quite easy sometimes..
Old 01-17-05, 11:45 AM
  #54  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Boston
Posts: 677
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jessebo
Employees are the worst. I've watched them take customer credit card numbers, and manually type them in to literally buy thousands of dollars worth of merchandise for themselves and then hand a bag off to a boyfriend or a girlfriend.
Wait, so the cashiers would type in the numbers, remember them for later, and charge them again for products they'd buy?
Old 01-17-05, 12:02 PM
  #55  
DrS
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 142
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For great shoplifting stories, check this, esp under villainy:

http://www.actsofgord.com/

Have fun!
Old 01-17-05, 12:02 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KTIK
Wait, so the cashiers would type in the numbers, remember them for later, and charge them again for products they'd buy?
no, they wouldn't remember them. sometimes they would actually keep the credit card. the customers were usually so busy getting the merchandise they bought, that they would forget to take their credit card. also, at the time, they could actually go back on the detail tape and it showed the full credit card number.. the customer got a receipt, and the store kept a detail tape of all transactions. they would then use the credit card or the number and purchase merchandise for themselves. it falls under identity theft today. it's pretty big business..
Old 01-17-05, 12:41 PM
  #57  
Cool New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cameron
in a perfect situation

dvd case with tabs, stickers on all 3 sides, a slipcover, a sensormatic tag, shrinkwrap, in a hard plastic case.

keep the bastards out.
The only thing listed there that has any real theft deterrance would be the hard cases that get removed at the registers, like are sometimes used on video games. With the other stuff, shoplifters simply run a knife or razor blade around the edge of the package and remove the disc, takes about 2 seconds. All the security strips are just there to piss you off.

Stores don't put these cases on dvd's because the cost of purchasing the cases and the labor to put them on and take them off would cost them more than the loss from theft.
Old 01-18-05, 12:16 AM
  #58  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 139
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work at Target and we have a large number of DVDs stolen everyday. I've never seen anyone actually do it, but I find the empty boxes all over the store. And yeah, we're not allowed to stop anyone if we see them doing it. A few weeks before Christmas one of the head cashiers got fired because he helped the assets protection team try to stop someone. I forget what the guy was trying to steal, but he went nuts when they tried to stop him and started smashing his head into the wall. It was pretty scary for a few minutes. We do get a reward if we turn an employee in for fruad, but at least at my store, everyone is a good egg.
Old 01-18-05, 03:35 AM
  #59  
rsa
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New Zealand (Middle Earth/Skull Island)
Posts: 81
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in NZ all the dvds and cds are removed from the cases and kept behind the counter in big filing cabinets, so all the cases on display are empty.

Just walking down the road you can see display bins outsite the stores full of dvds (cases that is). It must cause a few raised eyebrows to visiting North Americans to see unattended bins and racks of dvds out in the street!!

I'm sure they still loose a lot to shoplifters and fraudsters though.

Some full cases (box sets etc) are kept behind the counter with just a few empty shelf copies out in the store.
Old 01-18-05, 09:35 AM
  #60  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 187
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
BB policy is don't ever leave the store to go after a shoplifter and never ever use physical means to stop them from leaving...once you see them stealing or concealing something, kill them with customer service "can i help you with anything? Would you like to buy a case for those dvds in your pants?" etc. etc...meanwhile the loss prevention yellow shirt guy calls the police, who luckily are right down the street from our store so by the time the guy tries to leave , the cops in the parking lot waiting for him. It would be completely foolish for someone to go after a thief for stealing a few dvds, its not worth losing your life or getting hurt to save $30 for the uncaring corporation that we work for. Two years ago, the GM of my store tried to grab a young teenager as he grabbed 2 copies of Grand Theft Auto:Vice City and ran out the store...The kid had a knife ready in his pocket and slashed my GM's arm as he reached for him. No matter how non-threatening the suspect looks, you never know what they're capable of.

When the BB in my hometown first opened, they had a guy buy a bunch of computer stuff with a stolen card. Somehow they found out the card was stolen and security chased him into the parking lot. They tackled the guy and in the process of holding him there for the police, he had a heart attack and died. The family sued the crap out of BB for it.
Old 01-18-05, 02:43 PM
  #61  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,031
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrS
For great shoplifting stories, check this, esp under villainy:

http://www.actsofgord.com/

Have fun!
I wish he would update his page more often, I love his stuff.
Old 01-18-05, 03:33 PM
  #62  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 3,479
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just yesterday I was eating at a Subway that was in a 7-Eleven and I happened to look in a mirror up on the wall and saw some punk kid put some cigars in his pocket. Right after he bought something and left I went up to the counter and asked if he had purchased cigars, the clerk said no, and I said "well he walked out with a pack in his pocket". The clerk thanked me. I thought about saying something while the kid was still in the store, but I didn't know for sure if he was going to pay for them or not, but like others have said, it wasn't worth a possible situation, especially me being just an innocent bystander. It pissed me off that he got away with it though. Hopefully they'll catch him the next time he visits that store if he's a regular.
Old 01-18-05, 04:24 PM
  #63  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Mpls, MN
Posts: 6,830
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
BB policy is don't ever leave the store to go after a shoplifter and never ever use physical means to stop them from leaving...once you see them stealing or concealing something, kill them with customer service "can i help you with anything? Would you like to buy a case for those dvds in your pants?" etc. etc...meanwhile the loss prevention yellow shirt guy calls the police, who luckily are right down the street from our store so by the time the guy tries to leave , the cops in the parking lot waiting for him. It would be completely foolish for someone to go after a thief for stealing a few dvds, its not worth losing your life or getting hurt to save $30 for the uncaring corporation that we work for. Two years ago, the GM of my store tried to grab a young teenager as he grabbed 2 copies of Grand Theft Auto:Vice City and ran out the store...The kid had a knife ready in his pocket and slashed my GM's arm as he reached for him. No matter how non-threatening the suspect looks, you never know what they're capable of.
There you go, great post. This is exactly why some people are paid to be security and police. It's their job, let them handle it. Informing them is good, but don't try to be a hero over something like this. Save the heroics for when your town slides down a hill or something.

This is why I mostly shop here on the net, the world's biggest store. I've been in a couple situations where people were stealing or beating up on employees or something. Once with my 2-3 year old in tow. I don't need that kind of danger, nor the inflated prices due to shoplifting. Occasionally I run into a store to see something in person or just to buy it after I've picked it out on the web. Ex: I spent hours this month on the net shopping laundry appliances, very little time in B&M stores. Eventually went into the local scratch-n-dent shop and walked out minutes later with a dryer. All done, no mess.
Old 01-18-05, 06:25 PM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by woofman
It pissed me off that he got away with it though. Hopefully they'll catch him the next time he visits that store if he's a regular.
I wouldn't let it piss you off too much. there was a time when I'd get pissed off when a shoplifter got away from me, but then I realized that greed always brings them back. I'd just keep the video tape, and the next time they would come in my store, I'd catch them and then prosecute them for both crimes. anyways, don't worry about it. the kid will be back and he'll get caught eventually..
Old 01-18-05, 06:46 PM
  #65  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 14,806
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I work at Best Buy and there isn't a day that goes by that we don't find DVD's and CD's stolen. Mostly in the Anime section.
Old 01-18-05, 07:07 PM
  #66  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 7,534
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cameron
in a perfect situation
my store won't allow mirrors or cameras....gives off a "seedy" impression....BS....at the same time, good customer service is the greatest theft deterance.
Yet you said at your store you've "caught countless shoplifters doing this". Good customer service must not be THAT much of a theft deterance! (unless you were talking about two different stores you worked for)
Old 01-18-05, 07:36 PM
  #67  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Houston
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well i used work at wal-mart as a cart pusher in Houston and everyday we use to see police cars outside the store and we knew that lost prevention had a shoplifter. On many occasions The cart pushers would have to help persue the suspect. One time me and another cart pusher were resting up and we see a big dude running out and the Lp chasing him an wrestled him to the ground in the middle of the street.The shoplifters girlfriend evidently was waiting in the car for him,she ran out and started swinging her purse at the Lp's head, he called for us to help an we ran over and held the guys arms and legs while the lp tried to cuff him which was hard since he wouldnt stop squirming and saying he didnt do anything.All that effort and work and all he had was 1 new release dvd (cant remember which). ( At walmart the lp will cuff the suspect if need be which is pretty weird). I have seem many people get cought and alot end bloodied and have to be dragged back in the 'office' while they wait for the cops. its sad to see that people go to the store and just take the most expensive dvd boxset and dvds they could find(sorpanos, star trek sex and the city) just to take them to a pawn shop to probaly score drug money or somethin equally stupid. And when I got moved inside it was even worse as i'd see many many empty dvd cases everyday.

And just this weeknd someone came in the store and removied 6 big toys that were 19.99 out of the box,than went to some sewing machines and put 6 over$300 sweing machines in the empty toy boxes and walked out with over $2000 in sewing machines for $130
Old 01-18-05, 11:01 PM
  #68  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yesterday I was sitting in Taco Bell eating lunch with my friend and some guy just walked in off the street, filled his cup with soda and walked out. We were the only two (paying) customers in there and neither of us bought a drink so obviously a Taco Bell employee looked around the counter to check it out. He just caught a glimpse of the guy leaving so he looked at me and I just shrugged because I had no idea what happened. The employee asked if he had a Taco Bell cup and my friend told him he had a plain, clear cup. The employee said "He just stole that!" and I said "And he took a straw too! I saw it!" The manager caught up to the guy and he surrendered his soda. The end.
Old 01-19-05, 12:02 AM
  #69  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the video store where I work, we have VERY strict rules when it comes to shoplifters.

1. We're not allowed to make any physical contact with them EVER.
2. We can only accuse someone of shoplifting if we see them hide the product on themselves, and can continuously monitor them until the moment they step through the security gates. If we lose eyesight of them for a split second, we must assume they decided to put the product back on the shelf.
3. If our security gates beep, we can only ask them to give us any product they've purchased so that we can try to re-de-activate it.

Sooo... A person could walk up to me, and say, "Hey there, I'm stealing." They could stand in front of a shelf with their back facing me, hold up a movie, stick it down their pants, shuffle around a bit, and leave. I would be able to do NOTHING about it.
Old 01-19-05, 12:42 AM
  #70  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,889
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mdkdc
Yesterday I was sitting in Taco Bell eating lunch with my friend and some guy just walked in off the street, filled his cup with soda and walked out. We were the only two (paying) customers in there and neither of us bought a drink so obviously a Taco Bell employee looked around the counter to check it out. He just caught a glimpse of the guy leaving so he looked at me and I just shrugged because I had no idea what happened. The employee asked if he had a Taco Bell cup and my friend told him he had a plain, clear cup. The employee said "He just stole that!" and I said "And he took a straw too! I saw it!" The manager caught up to the guy and he surrendered his soda. The end.

The cup and drink were fine but that was the last straw.














*groan








I was in BB today and kept thinking I'd run into an open case.
Old 01-19-05, 12:50 AM
  #71  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 7,466
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
The cup and drink were fine but that was the last straw.
Old 01-19-05, 12:54 AM
  #72  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,889
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts






























Old 01-19-05, 01:35 AM
  #73  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Posts: 12,306
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the paper says you can do and what you can do are diffrent things

i would rather be fired for what is right, than work in a place that caters to thieves
Old 01-19-05, 03:45 AM
  #74  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Perkinsun Dzees's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: CA
Posts: 4,277
Received 224 Likes on 149 Posts
At the supermarket yesterday, I saw some guy take one of those plastic bags -- the ones on the spools which you're supposed to fill with fruit or veggies -- and he just stuck it in his pocket without filling it up with fruit or veggies. He started to walk out of the store with the bag so I alerted one of the cashiers. She told the manager, who chased after the guy in the parking lot and got the bag back. I hate it when people try to get something for nothing.
Old 01-19-05, 08:07 AM
  #75  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lighten up, Francis! (Funland)
Posts: 26,889
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So he was caught holding the bag.















































*ducks talemyn

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.