Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Edition of The Graduate?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Edition of The Graduate?

Last week, The Digital Bits was reporting that MGM is releasing The Graduate on April 5th. However, it didn't give any further information, like whether or not this was going to be the new special edition that was mentioned about a month ago (along with the Hoosiers: SE and a Spaceballs: SE sometime this year).

Now, places like Amazon and DVD Planet and Deep Discount DVD are listing a new edition coming out that day, but without any further details. Does anyone know any information about this, as to whether or not it will at least be anamorphic, if not a full-fledged special edition?

Thanks.
Old 01-11-05, 06:13 PM

For the release that is out now, they just re-used the laserdisc extras..
Old 01-11-05, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
From what I can tell its going to be a Standard (Full Frame) release. Amazon has std next to the title and cd universe says Full Frame.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=224200292
Old 01-11-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by ernestrp
From what I can tell its going to be a Standard (Full Frame) release. Amazon has std next to the title and cd universe says Full Frame.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinf...cart=224200292

that can't be right...
Old 01-12-05, 10:20 AM

It's been released on DVD twice (in R1), and both discs contain a 2.35:1 transfer.
Old 01-12-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a review of Four Weddings and a Funeral (another Polygram to MGM title) on this site -- says that MGM is releasing the same disc with a new cover. ??????

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=13996

Maybe this is the same thing? Same edition with a different cover?

I don't know. That doesn't make sense to me... but I suppose a pan & scan edition doesn't make a ton of sense either.
Old 01-12-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

one of the dvd sites reported a new one coming this year along the same time hoosiers and spaceballs were rumored....hoosiers will come to pass so i belive this will be a all new edition ala rain man
Old 01-12-05, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

There's no new info, but the Amazon listing mentions "widescreen". Based on the MSRP of $14.95, though, it looks like it'll probably be a re-release (?).

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 02-14-05, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bump...any new info on this?
Old 02-14-05, 07:22 PM
Banned

Knowing MGM, this is:
a) Another re-release of the existing DVD, but with lower retail price.
b) A Full-Screen, barebones re-release like they did with Silence of the Lambs and WEST SIDE STORY.
c) A barebones re-release in widescreen presentation like they did with Bowling for Columbine and Bull Durham
d) A New Special Edition of the Graduate with new extras. I doubt very much that this will happen.

Last edited by dx23; 02-14-05 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-15-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, I can't wait to not buy yet another substandard re-release in a new wrapper. Fucking bastards.
Old 02-15-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok... on a more positive note. If this "new" release turns out to be the same old crappy, non-anamorphic transfer, what's the best version out there? It seems that it's likely between the Momentum R2/PAL (UK) or the Kinewelt R2/PAL (Germany) discs, both anamorphic and both with apparently better color timing and contrast. Does anyone know which of these might be superior? Or perhaps another release altogether?
Old 02-24-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
So, still no word on this? I doubt we'd get a Hoffman commentary track but Katherine Ross and Mike Nichols track would great! Maybe a featurette about the music with Paul Simon. A lot of options on this one.
Old 02-24-05, 10:24 AM

I just checked the "technical details" of this on Amazon and it lists it as anamorphic widescreen. That's promising...
Old 02-24-05, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Should the lack of any "official" announcement about the specs be of particular concern, or just par for the course with MGM?
Old 02-24-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
I believe it's a low-price, zippo-features dvd trying to ride on the jennifer aniston flick "rumor has it"
Old 02-24-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

???
Old 02-24-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MisterHowie
I just checked the "technical details" of this on Amazon and it lists it as anamorphic widescreen. That's promising...
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much since Amazon isn't always 100% correct with their DVD information.
Old 02-24-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
I wouldn't get your hopes up too much since Amazon isn't always 100% correct with their DVD information.
No, but if you browse the thread, you'd see that the "widescreen" is actually updated information. It seems unlikely that Amazon would have started out correct and then be "fixed" toward wrongness. Possible, yes, but it seems much, much more likely that they were wrong to start with (since we do agree, they're not always 100% correct).

Richard -- if I understand your question, I can answer: 'Rumor Has It' is about a woman (Aniston) who's mother-in-law to-be is rumored to be the inspiration for Mrs. Robinson. The project was discussed for a while as a sequel to 'The Graduate', but now it's more like an homage (it sounds like the SAT question would be 'Rumor Has It' is to 'The Graduate' as 'The Freshman' is to 'The Godfather').
Old 02-24-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Digital bits was reporting towards the end of last year that this would indeed be a special edition...nothing has come to light though.
Old 02-24-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
No, but if you browse the thread, you'd see that the "widescreen" is actually updated information. It seems unlikely that Amazon would have started out correct and then be "fixed" toward wrongness. Possible, yes, but it seems much, much more likely that they were wrong to start with (since we do agree, they're not always 100% correct).
I don't doubt the DVD is widescreen but was questioning if it is anamorphic as Amazon stated.
Old 02-24-05, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I see no reason to believe that it won't be anamorphic... Take a look at the re-release of The Manchurian Candidate as a recent example from MGM. It's a SE, with new extras, a new anamorphic transfer and a $14.95 MSRP. If I were a betting man, I'd wager on the same with The Graduate.
Old 02-24-05, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Maybe we'll get lucky and get some deleted scenes?
Old 02-24-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Johnny Zhivago
I see no reason to believe that it won't be anamorphic... Take a look at the re-release of The Manchurian Candidate as a recent example from MGM. It's a SE, with new extras, a new anamorphic transfer and a $14.95 MSRP. If I were a betting man, I'd wager on the same with The Graduate.
I'm skeptical of this so called new Graduate release since no official announcement has been made about it so far from MGM, and the scheduled release date is almost a month away. I would think a movie with the stature of the Graduate would be getting a lot more press, and is more worthy of a 2 disc special edition treatment from the studio as they have already done with other titles like Raging Bull, Hoosiers, and Great Escape as a few examples. The lack of any news or details makes me think the upcoming April 5 release is the same as the previous version.

Last edited by Laser Movies; 02-24-05 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-24-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LASERMOVIES
The lack of any news or details makes me think the upcoming April 5 release is the same as the previous version.
I really wanted you to be wrong ... but I have this bad feeling that if this sentence is wrong, it's wrong in the way you *don't* want it to be.

See, I checked the MGM website, and there is a new cover art up. So I'd say it's most likely *not* the same as the previous version...

But the new art doesn't mention "special edition", which the old one was called. Not that the old one had all that many features, but it was a "special edition".

Here's the art:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.