Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

New Edition of The Graduate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cover art...lackluster...no worse than the last....might have a slip cover.

No Special Edition banner means nothing to me....hope more info shows up soon
Old 02-25-05, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ThatGuamGuy
I really wanted you to be wrong ... but I have this bad feeling that if this sentence is wrong, it's wrong in the way you *don't* want it to be.

See, I checked the MGM website, and there is a new cover art up. So I'd say it's most likely *not* the same as the previous version...

But the new art doesn't mention "special edition", which the old one was called. Not that the old one had all that many features, but it was a "special edition".

Here's the art:

I also wanted to be wrong. I even sold off my copy of the Graduate because I figured MGM would revisit it with a much better release like some of their other titles over the past year. But it doesn't look very promising from what they have on the web site, and there is no mention of it even being remastered with improved video or audio. This film deserves much better treatment and respect. Too bad Warner couldn't have gotten the remainder of the MGM titles!

At least MGM gave Rocky a better transfer on the newest "Anthology" release, even though it dropped the extras and "special edition" label. But they did heavily promote the fact that it was getting a HD transfer and DTS soundtrack months before it was released. You think the studio would be hyping up the Graduate release if it was improved.
Old 02-25-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the very least it will have the remastered transfer that's in other regions, plus the old extras.

And here's a better look at the cover:

Oh, and it's up for preorder on DDD, for just over nine bucks: http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=MGD008153

Last edited by jmj713; 02-25-05 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-25-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by jmj713
At the very least it will have the remastered transfer that's in other regions, plus the old extras.
How do you know this?

And, as I understand it, the other-region transfers are all PAL. Are you saying this disc will be sourced from a PAL-transfer?
Old 02-25-05, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Knowing MGM, this is:
a) Another re-release of the existing DVD, but with lower retail price.
b) A Full-Screen, barebones re-release like they did with Silence of the Lambs and WEST SIDE STORY.
c) A barebones re-release in widescreen presentation like they did with Bowling for Columbine and Bull Durham
d) A New Special Edition of the Graduate with new extras. I doubt very much that this will happen.
..as opposed to?

-JP
Old 02-25-05, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And you know this how?

It could be the same old transfer. It could be bare-bones. It could have new extras and drop the old ones.
Old 02-25-05, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I'm being hopeful MGM won't let us down. The current transfer (1999), while being non-anamorphic, is also faded and just generally unpretty. You can see a comparison to the R2 anamorphic transfer (2001) here: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/graduate.htm - so MGM has it at their disposal, I don't know why they wouldn't use it.

Last edited by jmj713; 02-25-05 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-02-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So, still no news...?
Old 03-02-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Richard Malloy
So, still no news...?
I received an email yesterday from MGM regarding new and upcoming releases that mentioned the Graduate was coming April 5. No details or specifics were given if it is going to be remastered, or contain any supplemental material. I honestly think it is going to be the same DVD released earlier since MGM hasn't provided any information other then the street date and a picture of the cover.
Old 03-03-05, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, that's the conclusion I'm drawing as well.

I've been meaning to upgrade this title since I got a 16x9 set last Fall, so I guess I'll wait till 4/5 to see if MGM upgrades the R1 release, and if not then I'll get the anamorphic R2 with the superior color timing.
Old 03-21-05, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bumping for any news or updates. So, anyone hear anymore information about the new Graduate DVD or read any early reviews? Release date is only about 2 weeks away.
Old 03-21-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes I'm also very eagerly awaiting any info. At least the anamorphic transfer is confirmed, more or less.
Old 03-21-05, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes I'm also very eagerly awaiting any info. At least the anamorphic transfer is confirmed, more or less.
You have a source to confirm the anamorphic transfer?
Old 03-21-05, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, please back that up, as it would comprise the first promising news I've yet heard!
Old 03-21-05, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Several stores have it listed as anamorphic, such as Amazon and DVDSoon. I didn't say it was confirmed. I said "more or less". I'm still waiting on details as everyone else.
Old 03-21-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
I purchased this from DDD and received it last week. I never had the other versions so this was an okay buy for me.

On the cover the bottom edge says SPECIAL EDITION.
Extras are:
behind the scenes documentary on the making of the movie
exclusive interview with Hoffman
new stereo surround
Collectable booklet
trailer
widescreen version

Hope this helps anyone waiting to purchase this movie
Old 03-21-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You got the one with the new white cover that's scheduled for release on 4/5/05?
Old 03-21-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

that isn't the description that fits the new artwork...i think you have the old copy...

if not, is it anamorphic
Old 03-21-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Randy810
I purchased this from DDD and received it last week. I never had the other versions so this was an okay buy for me.

On the cover the bottom edge says SPECIAL EDITION.
Extras are:
behind the scenes documentary on the making of the movie
exclusive interview with Hoffman
new stereo surround
Collectable booklet
trailer
widescreen version

Hope this helps anyone waiting to purchase this movie
Those are the features Amazon has listed for the previous special edition release. I don't think that is the new one, not that I wouldn't mind having the same extras as long as it was getting a new and improved video transfer.
Old 03-22-05, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts
We just got these in at my video store and they put them out, accidentally, a week in advance. Same cover as the above. Studio Canal logo in the back as well as MGM. New York Times review quote and description of film with some screen caps.

LETTERBOX 2.35:1.

No mention of new transfer.

NO, I repeate, NO SPECIAL FEATURES LISTED.
Not even a mention of a booklet.

Hold onto your old copies, folks. At least they had something.
Old 03-22-05, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow... could it actually be a worse edition than the previous one? Same crappy transfer and no extras?
Old 03-22-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fuck! If Spaceballs can get 2-discs.............................
Old 03-22-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No mention of the new Graduate DVD even being anamorphic or enhanced for widescreen televisions? Hard to believe MGM is still refusing to give this film a respectable release on DVD. Sort of bummed that I sold off my copy of the earlier special edition even though it wasn't very good transfer. Guess I need to look into getting it outside of region 1 now.
Old 03-22-05, 01:05 PM
Banned

Wow... could it actually be a worse edition than the previous one? Same crappy transfer and no extras?
Hard to believe MGM is still refusing to give this film a respectable release on DVD.
For some strange reason, MGM loves dumbing down DVDs. Look at Silence of the Lambs, Bull Durham, The Terminator, The Producers, Its a Mad, Mad, Mad World, Bowling for Columbine; all of them had respectables special editions, only for them to be discontinued and then re-issued without the extras. Just plain stupid bad business decisions. It doesn't surprise me at all that MGM did the same with the Graduate.

Last edited by dx23; 03-22-05 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-22-05, 01:28 PM

Just sets up a nice situation for a triple release at minimal costs, and pretty much forces double dipping.

release #1: don't bother with the first lame release

release #2 (barebones): now you either buy #1 because you realize it's either this or the lame-ass barebones #2 (cuz you know the studio sucks and won't put out a killer SE since they reissued this POS), or you buy #2 because you don't read dvdtalk and didn't realize a better version was available; either way . . .

release #3 comes along as a deluxe edition and you have to upgrade from the lame previous editions

love the marketing tactics of these scumbag studios. . . how can we best squeeze our customers. at least in the LD world the upgrades were often fairly significant and could be attributed to improvements in technology. reissues were less common because the costs of producing LDs were high, which was a good and bad thing.

grrr.........

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.