Ghost In The Shell 2 - bad subtitles makes dvd unwatchable

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-05, 01:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great ... where's mine?
Old 06-03-05, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts
Best Buy is now offering a Dreamworks two-pack with GITS: Innocence and Millennium Actress for $19.99.

The spine on my copy has no V4 on it, although the security sticker does. The inner ring has no V4 in the disc number, though, and sure enough...it has the [subtitle] problem. I just applied for the mailer.
Old 06-04-05, 12:56 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There has never been a V4 on the spine of the DVD case. The V4 is printed on the top security sticker, and the corrected disc has a V4 somewhere in the encoding in the inner of ring of the disc. The old disc has a V2 in inner ring, I think.
Old 06-04-05, 09:28 AM

Hi fellas this might help. Just got my copy of GITS and the english subtitles
are in sync with dialoque even though I think it's rather close captioned
for the hearing impaired. No V4 on the spine of the DVD but 91757
at the bottom of the spine. Am already half way thru and it seems the english
subs are accurate.This could be the new replacement from Dreamworks.
Old 06-04-05, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Leon, I may be mistaken but I don't believe there have ever been complaints about sub-sync. Rather, it's the inclusion of closed-captions for the hearing-impaired rather than true dialog subtitles that's the defect here.
Old 06-04-05, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As was noted earlier, IGN contacted GoFish and was notified of another version of GITS 2: Innocense that claimed to fix the problem. Those new editions have "V4" printed (I assume in white letters) on the spine of the dvd case. It should be noted that no retailer will have the V4 editions of Innocense until the regular editions are sold out. However, that same IGN reviewer has since received his V4 edition only to find that it does NOT solve the problems in the original disc.

That's very unfortunate and means I won't be purchasing GITS 2 in the near future.

The GITS SE, to me, doesn't have many worthwhile extras to necessitate a double dip. I would certainly recommend it to first-timers, but for those who already have the original version I'd say that's good enough. Unless you're like, an uber-fan of that overall series.

As for the topic of subtitles, I see subtitles the same way I see OAR. If I'm watching a tv show or movie or whatever, I want to view it AS THE DIRECTOR INTENDED. For example, I don't like when songs are replaced in tv shows, I don't like when aspect ratios are changed in dvd releases, and I absolutely can not tolerate Pan n Scan in any dvd. This ideal extends to subtitles, which, though not always a perfect translation, are often better than dubs since dubs change the actual text in order to fit lip movement. Moreover, it's my opinion that the original actors capture the atmosphere and emotions of the scene better than dub actors who aren't nearly as related to the project. So, do I hate dubs? Not at all. In fact some dubs are very well done, the best of them (imo) including Cowboy Bebop, Golden Boy, and The Big O. And in some rare cases, English is actually the dominant language of the film to begin with (as in Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust), making the Japanese track the dub. But overall, I think those who attribute the Japanese tracks with "screaming" must have a severely limited experience with anime or a stereotypical view of Japanese acting.

Last edited by mifuneral; 06-04-05 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-04-05, 01:07 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Leon Liew
Hi fellas this might help. Just got my copy of GITS and the english subtitles
are in sync with dialoque even though I think it's rather close captioned
for the hearing impaired. No V4 on the spine of the DVD but 91757
at the bottom of the spine. Am already half way thru and it seems the english
subs are accurate.This could be the new replacement from Dreamworks.
Look at the code in the inner ring of the disc, if it has "V4" near the end of it, you got a corrected disc. If it has "V2", you got the glitched disc.
Old 06-04-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally Posted by eau
Look at the code in the inner ring of the disc, if it has "V4" near the end of it, you got a corrected disc. If it has "V2", you got the glitched disc.
So the only way to tell beforehand when buying would be to buy like a used one from Blockbuster and ask to inspect the disc, though it's likely they'll only have copies from the first wave, and no replacements. Just a thought.
Old 06-05-05, 09:26 PM

Richard perhaps I was not clear in my posting. What I meant was that the english subs are more in line with the story bearing in mind that I don't understand Japanese. I post this thread when I was half way thru the DvD and have now completed viewing
and all this english subs make sense in the story telling. Yes the subs are actually for
the hearing impaired.

Eau will take up your suggestion to check for the V4 on the disc to verify but I am
sure I 've the correct DvD coz all the english subs makes sense.

All this aside the GITS DvD is sure one awesome piece of audio demo disc.
Old 06-06-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Richard perhaps I was not clear in my posting. What I meant was that the english subs are more in line with the story bearing in mind that I don't understand Japanese. I post this thread when I was half way thru the DvD and have now completed viewing
and all this english subs make sense in the story telling. Yes the subs are actually for
the hearing impaired.

Eau will take up your suggestion to check for the V4 on the disc to verify but I am
sure I 've the correct DvD coz all the english subs makes sense.
The translation has never been a problem with the subtitles on this movie. The problem has always been that the subtitles include descriptions of sound effects for the hearing impaired, which is fine if you're hearing impaired but really friggin' annoying if you're not.
Old 06-06-05, 09:11 PM

Well you win some loose some. We are the fortunate ones but some aren't so we have
to bear with it right?
Old 06-07-05, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've certainly got nothing against closed-captioning - given the small amount of disc space that subs require, I wish it was always included - but I think a proper English-sub track should also be included, particularly for a foreign-language film where the entire English speaking audience (not just the hearing impaired) will need a translation.

As for the translation itself, while this was never the subject of the "fixed" version, there's been some speculation that the English subs have dumbed-down the discourse. Not being a Japanese speaker, I can't say... just that I certainly hope this isn't true.
Old 06-07-05, 01:57 PM

Richard perhaps I was not clear in my posting.
Your post made it perfectly clear that you do not have the fixed disc, and also that you have completely misunderstood what the problem is that everyone has been complaing about.

Yes the subs are actually for the hearing impaired.
...This being the problem, of course.

EDIT: Why did I write this post more than 12 hours after the poster I was replying to had already responded to someone else making the same point? o_O The mind boggles.

In any case, Dreamworks meant to include a regular subtitle track on the DVD (in addition to the hearing impared track) but it got left out. This is an acknowledged mistake, and they have been issuing fixed versions of the DVD. It has nothing to do with us having to "bear with it" because "we are the fortunate ones" - the disc was intended to cater to both hearing impaired people and the rest of us, but someone screwed up.

Last edited by Philip Reuben; 06-07-05 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-07-05, 05:31 PM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All this aside the GITS DvD is sure one awesome piece of audio demo disc.
It probably is...until the GITS: Innonence Music Anthology comes out later this year
Old 06-08-05, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by eau
There has never been a V4 on the spine of the DVD case. The V4 is printed on the top security sticker, and the corrected disc has a V4 somewhere in the encoding in the inner of ring of the disc. The old disc has a V2 in inner ring, I think.
the corrected disc (mine is a mialer) has "D191757V4" on the inner ring on the readable side of the disc... it is laser etched, and difficult to read. but that wont help you to chose the correct one in the store.

thorn
Old 06-09-05, 10:42 PM

Ah well, have checked the inner ring and it has D191757V2 etched on. I've got the
'everyone is complaining about' disc but what the hell I still enjoyed it very much.
Old 06-10-05, 01:24 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ah well, have checked the inner ring and it has D191757V2 etched on. I've got the
'everyone is complaining about' disc but what the hell I still enjoyed it very much.
Ignorance is a bliss
Old 06-10-05, 02:27 AM

It's not ignorance but I got no choice because I am not residing in the US
and getting an exchange is impossible. Will Dreamworks entertain overseas
replacement ? I doubt very much, so it ain't that blissful for me but 'to bear with it'
Old 06-10-05, 04:05 AM

it may be in the thread or somewhere else, but has anyone a specific email address to write to in order to ask for my replacement...? thanks...
Old 06-10-05, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by logboy
it may be in the thread or somewhere else, but has anyone a specific email address to write to in order to ask for my replacement...? thanks...
http://www.gofishpictures.com/GITS2/main.html

Go to section "The DVD" and click on "Questions About Your DVD".

Good luck. I tried 3 times and they never sent me a mailer envelope.
Old 06-10-05, 10:40 AM

thanks, but thats the form for getting an envelope : they have my disc, have had for months. no replacement recieved though. i am in the uk and my supplier passed the disc along, they confirmed it was recieved (they sent cheque for cost of postage to me directly from the dvd company) but nothing since...
Old 06-10-05, 12:58 PM

hey there. i email the discussion group editor for the film today and said it had been ages.... just got an email from my retailer in the states, and they got my replacement today - so its on its way! things changing or happening anywhere else...!?
Old 06-23-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Update:

I hadn't received my disk in 8 weeks and after receiving generic responses of "you should receive your disc in 2-3 weeks" I actually got a phone message today from them. It sounds like they did mail it out like 5-6 weeks ago, but I never received it. They confirmed my address (it was correct) and were resending it. Hopefully patience will pay off here....
Old 06-24-05, 02:20 AM

i got my replacement (V4) disc a couple of days ago here in the UK. from what i did and the response, i would suggest emailing the official message board administrator at the forum for the film and just say "i havent got mine, cant find an email address to contact" - the day after i did this, mine was confirmed as being on its way.

havent checked the disc yet, but the clear plastic ring in the centre of the disc shows its the right version...
Old 08-09-05, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Further Update:

After they suppossedly sent out a couple discs to my home address, which I never seem to have received, they finally sent one to my work address and I received it today. Patience and persistance pays off.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.