Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

BTTF Re-Release 1/25/05

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-05, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally Posted by Class316
I guess it's good I got it for 20% off @ DDD and got 2 discs with "V2" written AND the booklet
Except for the fact that you were without the DVDs for 2 years, yes, it's good you weren't missing anything.
Old 01-28-05, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still confused on the subject matter of which version is the better version to own, the full frame open matte, or the widescreen. I have the widescreen already and have jumped through the hoops of exchanging the wrong discs for the proper discs. Should I keep that? I would spend the $20 willingly if I knew if the full frame version was the better one. But it's so hard to really decide because the BTTF community online seems to be split down the middle on which one they should own.
Old 01-28-05, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

If widescreen is the OAR, why would someone want the full matte version?
Old 01-31-05, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a question.

I was watching part 1 and 2 widescreen over the last 2 days and I was wondering something.

I have a 16x9 TV and I was watching this on a DVD player set to 16x9. Now it filled the whole screen (Harold and Kumar also filled the screen BTW) and I was just wondering is it correct?

Normally my other widescreen movies look right on my TV but they still have the black bars on the top and bottom. BTTF didn't have the black bars and I was wondering, is that correct or is something off.

I rather have the black bars than a zoomed in picture.

Thanks.
Old 01-31-05, 12:57 AM

Some widescreen movies are wider than others. BTTF is 1.85:1, while movies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are 2.35:1. You are viewing them correctly.
Old 01-31-05, 01:39 AM

whats the contact information to get the booklet?
Old 01-31-05, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mzupeman2
I'm still confused on the subject matter of which version is the better version to own, the full frame open matte, or the widescreen. I have the widescreen already and have jumped through the hoops of exchanging the wrong discs for the proper discs. Should I keep that? I would spend the $20 willingly if I knew if the full frame version was the better one. But it's so hard to really decide because the BTTF community online seems to be split down the middle on which one they should own.
No split here..OAR is all the way....stick with your widescreen disc...leave the full frame on the shelf
Old 02-01-05, 01:27 PM

Yes the phone number for the booklet would be helpfull. I tried the number for the misframed disks and they didn't know about the booklet issue with the release set.
Old 02-01-05, 01:36 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It's possible that it's become more of a hassle for those that waited because they didn't want to hassle with mailing in a couple discs.
It's the principle. They should have got it right to begin with, and should have pulled them from shelves when the misframing arose.

I refused to buy it until I could go to a store and pick it up in corrected format. And I'm still waiting as I haven't seen the new release with the sticker in stores (other than fullframe ones).
Old 02-01-05, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Hinkle
It's the principle. They should have got it right to begin with, and should have pulled them from shelves when the misframing arose.
I can understand that position. Everyone has to decide which course of action they need to take.

The problem with waiting is that Universal is not held accountable. Outside of a letter/phone call, they have no idea that a certain consumer is unhappy. To me, the best way to show Universal that I was unhappy with the release was to send in my "defective" discs. Their way to admit their error was to send me the "correct" discs.

I have also only seen the FS copies of the re-release and I wonder what the deal is with that.
Old 02-01-05, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by garyb
Some widescreen movies are wider than others. BTTF is 1.85:1, while movies like Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are 2.35:1. You are viewing them correctly.
So 1.85 to 1 is 16x9? So that's why it fills the whole screen.
Old 02-02-05, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by shawagg
So 1.85 to 1 is 16x9? So that's why it fills the whole screen.
16/9 = 1.78, but I think they still fill it.
Old 02-02-05, 12:00 PM

This is the e-mail I got back from Universal about the missing booklet. What a bunch of BS:

Thank you for contacting us.

No chapter insert was created for this title. Universal Studios Home Entertainment strives to take advantage of the benefits provided by the DVD format, and we put as much information as possible on the DVD itself, instead of on inserts and other paper packaging. All of the information normally provided on the inserts (e.g., chapter information and production notes) can be accessed on the DVD itself through the main menu.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you continue to enjoy this and other Universal releases.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Old 02-02-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by garyb
This is the e-mail I got back from Universal about the missing booklet. What a bunch of BS:

Thank you for contacting us.

No chapter insert was created for this title. Universal Studios Home Entertainment strives to take advantage of the benefits provided by the DVD format, and we put as much information as possible on the DVD itself, instead of on inserts and other paper packaging. All of the information normally provided on the inserts (e.g., chapter information and production notes) can be accessed on the DVD itself through the main menu.

We appreciate your patronage and hope you continue to enjoy this and other Universal releases.

Sincerely,

Universal Studios Home Entertainment
Old 02-06-05, 11:43 PM

The corrected version becomes available at last. It looks like I finally waited long enough to get this damn DVD set.