DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Real Ghostbusters?

Old 12-21-05, 10:46 PM

Best of or not...will definitely be picking these volumes up.
Old 12-22-05, 08:11 AM

This is just a sampling before a full set is released. Same thing happened to Batman:TAS and He-Man. These will probably end up in the $5 bin sometime down the road.
Old 12-22-05, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by LoPan5705
This is just a sampling before a full set is released. Same thing happened to Batman:TAS and He-Man. These will probably end up in the $5 bin sometime down the road.
I hope you are right. I'm a bit sceptical, as 1986-87 alone had more than 70 episodes. I thought He-Man was a best-of, compiled from a vote on a fansite.
Old 12-23-05, 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by LoPan5705
Probably not. The people working on this set don't have any experience doing season sets. I doubt the words "season set" are ever mentioned in their marketing meetings because they're used to marketing their products to parents with little kids. This isn't a normal property for them, and they don't know what to do with it. If the people that control the "normal" Sony TV properties got ahold of it then we'd have a chance at season sets. This is the same thing that HIT went through with for Fraggle Rock. I sat down with them at VSDA and explained that the "collector's edition" DVDs they were working on wouldn't appeal to collectors because the collectors wanted season sets, not discs with some random episodes on it along with bonus features. Thankfully they listened (to me and everyone that sign petitions online), but I think the Sony kids area will be harder to reach.

The best thing you can do is to write a polite letter explaining yourself as a consumer. Explain that you used to watch the show, and you'd like to rewatch it on DVD, but you don't feel supporting a "best of" release is the best use of your money since you're saving it for the eventual season set (dropping the hint).

If only Sony would license it to BCI...

Gord
Old 05-01-08, 09:33 PM

Bump. I've received this from TVShowsonDVD (posted by Gord Lacey):

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rea...ers-Rumor/9505

The Real Ghostbusters -Rumor: Ghostbusters heading to DVD (again)?

Fall release likely
Posted by Gord Lacey
4/29/2008

We've received a tip from a reliable source that The Real Ghostbusters is heading to DVD (again). A multi-disc release is apparently in the works for a fall release, and the interesting thing is we're told the set is not coming from Sony (the releasing studio was not named). This is an interesting development since Sony owns the rights, and until now they have been unwilling to license shows to third parties.

Fans will remember Sony released 3 Real Ghostbusters volumes in 2006 containing random episodes from the run of the series. Sales were poor because the releases were targeted towards children and their parents, not fans of the series which are now in their 20s and 30s.

2008 looks bright for Ghostbusters fans; yesterday, many websites previewed the upcoming video game, due for release in the fall, and now there's news the animated series will also be released this year.

We'll post more news when we get it.
Old 05-02-08, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Excellent news! Hope it happens.
Old 05-02-08, 08:59 AM

Bam diggity. That would be fantastic. I'd pick them up for sure.
Old 05-02-08, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for complete, full season sets
Old 05-02-08, 06:46 PM

Please, please be a season set, not a "best of". I liked it before The Real Ghostbusters became the Slimer show.
Old 05-05-08, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Numes
for complete, full season sets
same here, but that first "season" was 73 or so episodes. After that it went to Saturday morning and had Coulier as Venkman. Just doesn't seem realistic to have a full set - that would be, what, 10 DVDs?
Even a series of best-of comps of the first 73 would be preferable over a mix of the first 73 and later.
Old 05-05-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

They could do two volumes of Season 1, five discs apiece.
Old 05-06-08, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
same here, but that first "season" was 73 or so episodes. After that it went to Saturday morning and had Coulier as Venkman. Just doesn't seem realistic to have a full set - that would be, what, 10 DVDs?
Even a series of best-of comps of the first 73 would be preferable over a mix of the first 73 and later.
Yeah, I always forget that those syndicated cartoons had crazy episode counts per season. I guess I was thinking something like Duck Tales with 4-5 disc "volumes." Bottom line, I want a complete release.
Old 05-06-08, 12:41 PM

It would be cool if they did held a vote for best 10 or 20 episodes of the first year, like with He-Man, but sadly Real Ghostbusters fans are comparatively few and not very well organized. I hope I'm wrong, that a good, comprehensive set is released, and it sells well enough to warrant more.
Old 05-06-08, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Egon's Ghost
That's not how I remember it. They ran audio promos over cartoon credits for months before debuting the cartoon on ABC Saturday mornings in the fall of 1986. There were around thirteen or so first-season episodes and for my money, those were my favorite. The Bogeyman Cometh. Ghost R Us. Halloween Forever with Samhain, Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood when Peter gets possessed by a ghost named "What." The animation that season was better than subsequent seasons, Lorenzo Music was still voicing Peter, and J. Michael Strazinski put everything he had into great, dark scripts.
Old 05-06-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they can put the old action figure commercials on the sets I'd be quite impressed.

Old 05-07-08, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by dogmatica
That's not how I remember it. They ran audio promos over cartoon credits for months before debuting the cartoon on ABC Saturday mornings in the fall of 1986. There were around thirteen or so first-season episodes
Yes, you are right. I honestly can't remember anymore. After that, didn't episodes 14-87 (2nd season) run concurrently syndicated and ABC Saturday mornings? I saw most of those in syndication after school. There are some damn good ones in there, too (Cold Cash and Hot Water, one of my favorites; Adv. in Slime and Space; Ain't NASA-sarily So; and of course, The Collect Call of Cthulhu).

Season 3 was when the overhaul happened (Lorenzo Music out, Coulier in, new Janine voice, Slimer more cute and friendly, generally more kiddy and vomit-inducing, Straczynksi bailed), wasn't it?
Old 05-07-08, 01:48 PM

I seem to always remember one where they were trapped in an attic and couldn't find their way out. That's about the only one I can remember.
Old 05-07-08, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If I really think about it I can remember so many. There was one with like a hundred blue Slimer clones, the Christmas Carol spoof, the two Sam Hain episodes, the one with the underground train, the Bermuda Triangle episode, the one where they slipped through an alternate universe during a race and encountered The Humanbusters, one where they got covered in a weakening slime and are hospitalized, the one where they end up in a world of lost items, one where the firehouse transforms while they are on vacation, one wtih Egon's dad and the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, one with a ghost that clones everything from the logo on the back of the car to Venkman...I haven't really thought about this series in a long time but every time I do I want it on DVD. Even though the episodes on the Ghostbusters 2 DVD were much cheesier than my memory of them.
Old 05-08-08, 07:13 AM

I VAGUELY remember some of those, but it's just been too many years. Season sets would be awesome (except for the ones where slimer takes over - what were they thinking??).
Old 05-09-08, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by E-Z-B
I seem to always remember one where they were trapped in an attic and couldn't find their way out. That's about the only one I can remember.
The Thing in Mrs. Faversham's Attic

Anyway, I'll be happy just to see more Real Ghostbusters available.
(but please, please! stay away from Slimer! And the RGB)

Last edited by Egon's Ghost; 05-09-08 at 08:26 AM.
Old 05-27-08, 11:06 AM

This should make some people very happy...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rea...te-Series/9711
Old 05-27-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wonder how much it will cost?
Old 05-27-08, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by slappy
This should make some people very happy...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Rea...te-Series/9711
Cowabunga!
Old 05-27-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Darknite39
Wonder how much it will cost?
If it's 26 discs, atleast $199.99. Get Smart is 25 and has been out for 2 years and still retails there.. then there's the 20% off and free shipping coupons which appear from time to time.. so about $150 or so with one of those.
Old 05-27-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, can't wait for complete details.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.