DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Real Ghostbusters?

Old 11-30-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
You probably don't have to deal with it. I had a pretty crushed corner when I ordered the Get Smart set from them. I filled out their customer care form asking for a replacement and they sent me another outer box. That one came with a slightly less crushed corner.

I had a couple of slightly crushed corners and a "dent" in the top with this set - still looks better than either Get Smart box I got, but, still, I asked 'em if they'd send me another "top" part to the box anyway. They were good about it before, so I'm expecting they will be again...
I'll definitely be doing that, It's worth a shot. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-01-08, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Quack View Post
Awesome set....I'm very happy with it and can't wait to go through all the episodes...the first few are tough for me not to think of Garfield when I hear Venkman :P
Yeah - and it's hilarious that Bill Murray than went on to voice Garfield in the movies...
Old 12-21-08, 01:51 PM

Wonderful set. I never thought RGB would get this treatment. I've never bought such a big set and it feels rather indulgent, but look at my user name...
The corners of the firehouse were slightly rounded, I think due to the tight shrinkwrap.
Frank Welker is strangely absent from interviews.
Old 12-21-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The set is pretty incredible. Now all I have to do is find time to watch it!

On another note, I was going through some old things and I found my "The Real Ghostbusters" sticker collector's album. It was about half complete with an envelope full of doubles. I completely forgot I had that.
Old 12-21-08, 08:51 PM

I've only watched the first episode "Ghost R Us" so far; cripes I haven't seen that in 20 years or more. The video quality is pretty good but not great. Probably a lot crammed on one disc. The audio surprised me - very crisp, nice bass in the intro music; the actors sound like they're actually in a studio. In all, A/V is certainly better than my crappy old EP VHS tapes!
The video commentary was fun - the guys hadn't seen the episode probably since it was finished. I look forward to more!
Old 01-07-09, 07:59 PM

Re: The Real Ghostbusters?

Looks like there's some problems with Vol 4 Disc 2:

http://www.ecto-web.org/~spookcentra...ection-hands-o
Old 01-10-09, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Season 1 is up for pre-order:

AMAZON

I got the boxset for my brother but I may go this route for myself. I'm mainly interested in the first two seasons.
Old 07-30-09, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Complete series is getting a retail release. 125.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001R1HEMI?...89&camp=211189
Old 07-30-09, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hot damn! I was just looking at this the other day on Time Life's site.
Old 07-30-09, 06:33 PM

I hope they continue to release the volumes individually, I already bought the retail release of volume 1.
Old 07-30-09, 06:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bluth54 View Post
I hope they continue to release the volumes individually, I already bought the retail release of volume 1.
me too
Old 07-31-09, 02:19 AM
Banned

Found the Vol. 1 tin(5 disc) At goodwill tonight in mint for $1.99.
Old 08-03-09, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

After rewatching this series... it's amazing how well this series has held up over time. I could barely sit through episodes of Transformers and GI Joe, and those were my favorite series as a child. Several things really gave this series longevity:

1. Quality of animation. As the series went on, the animation quality did not diminish, and even the Slimer! episodes that are geared more towards kids are still watchable.

2. It was nice to see self-contained episodes but also the occasional story arc.

3. The later episodes made slimer both annoying and yet, more tolerable.

However, while watching some of the early episodes, it really hits home how sexist this show was. "Janine's Genie" is the most egregious offender. Janine attempts to become the "boss" of the Ghostbusters, to which they all laugh, and when her wish is granted, it only unleashes hell and she gets her comeuppance by revealing how totally inept she is. Later episodes would even soften her personality and make her more submissive and docile. It's amazing that even in the 80s, this level of sexism would persist. It's not a deal breaker though, because she's mostly a background character, and there are even times when she saves the Ghostbusters through her wit and intellect. The heavy-handed political correctness of Extreme Ghostbusters on the other hand... I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes of that show. Even the finale where the original ghostbusters return.

However, something that bothered me even as a child, was how much technobabble permeated the show, especially when JMS was head writer. Leave it up to a sci-fi writer to fill a show with magic solutions to every problem.

Last edited by Superboy; 08-03-09 at 06:55 AM.
Old 08-03-09, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Superboy View Post
"Janine's Genie" is the most egregious offender. Janine attempts to become the "boss" of the Ghostbusters, to which they all laugh, and when her wish is granted, it only unleashes hell and she gets her comeuppance by revealing how totally inept she is. Later episodes would even soften her personality and make her more submissive and docile.
In the shows defense, she was inept and if the sex was changed to a man, he'd still be inept and be laughable as a boss.

Also, is it sexist just because the personality of a character changed in a certain direction to become less annoying? The entire show also became softer and more for a younger age group as time went on, so her personality changing, among other things, fit in with the direction the show was going.
Old 08-03-09, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
In the shows defense, she was inept and if the sex was changed to a man, he'd still be inept and be laughable as a boss.
But it wasn't a man, and the story is based on culturally familiar cliches and stereotypes that wouldn't resonate otherwise. At other times Janine is shown to be tough and competent, however.

Straczynski's technobabble is a negative? No way! I lived for that stuff back then.
Old 08-03-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Straczynski's technobabble is what makes the show feel so smart in the first season.

I got to watching Volume 5 awhile back, which I hadn't seen since it's first ABC run, and some of that was painful. I loved Elementary My Dear Winston as a kid, and on subsequent USA reruns, but now that I have all of these "fresh" in my memory I just see how incredibly awesome the first syndicated season was.
Old 08-05-09, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers View Post
Really? what episode was that?
Also, is it sexist just because the personality of a character changed in a certain direction to become less annoying? The entire show also became softer and more for a younger age group as time went on, so her personality changing, among other things, fit in with the direction the show was going.
Yes it is, because Slimer and Peter got incredibly annoying after season 3. He was the Wesley Crusher of Star Trek.
Old 04-26-13, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is down to $99 for anyone who hasn't picked it up yet. Free shipping as well.

http://timelife.com/products/the-rea...ete-collection
Old 04-26-13, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dang. May have to try wrangle some petty cash out of the wife.