Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Shaun Of The Dead ---> Dec. 21st!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-04, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Or, uh, 'Spaced'.
Quite right, of course. I didn't actually pick up Spaced until after I saw SOTD (SOTD basically sold me a copy of Spaced), so that's probably why I didn't think of it....
Old 10-18-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why does it say "A smash hit comedy. With zombies." instead of "A romantic comedy. With Zombies."?

I know it's picky, but I don't like that change.
Old 10-18-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think romantic comedy genre would draw more people away that are Zombie fans.
Old 10-18-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by BrentLumkin
Why does it say "A smash hit comedy. With zombies." instead of "A romantic comedy. With Zombies."?
I know it's picky, but I don't like that change.
For some reason, men in America don't seem to like romantic comedies (or at least the label). So that means you'd want to leave that label off a product that is more marketed to young men with disposable cash.

It ruins the smirk-eliciting tagline, but hey... since when have Focus features known what to put on a DVD cover?
Old 10-18-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Let me rephrase what I said then.

I know WHY they changed it, but it doesn't make sense to me since the promotion of the film was built around looking at that line, "A romantic comedy. With Zombies." and then going WTF over it, seeing how it's not something we've seen before.
Old 10-18-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts
Originally posted by bboisvert
I can virtually guarantee that all of the R2 supplements will be carried over. Why? Because, LAST WEEK, I finally broke down and bought the R2 edition. I figured "there's no way in hell they'll put all of this on the R1 edition".

Those without region-free machines can thank me now.
Thank you!
Old 10-18-04, 08:32 PM

Great flick. I picked up the r2 disc, and the only negative thing I have to say about it is that it's frustrating that I can't lend it to more of my friends since most of them don't have region-free players. Great movie. It was worth the price of the disc for the Queen-scored pool-que zombie bash.

And Spaced is every bit as good. I was depressed after finishing the last episode knowing that there weren't any more to watch.
Old 10-18-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Awesome!!!

You've got red on you.
Old 10-18-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Son-volt
Great flick. I picked up the r2 disc, and the only negative thing I have to say about it is that it's frustrating that I can't lend it to more of my friends since most of them don't have region-free players. Great movie. It was worth the price of the disc for the Queen-scored pool-que zombie bash.

And Spaced is every bit as good. I was depressed after finishing the last episode knowing that there weren't any more to watch.
I know the feeling. Spaced is fried gold, yet the mine is empty now! That series and Shaun are the reason why I finally had to have a region-free player.
Old 10-18-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On 10/9, Edgar Wright made an appearance at the JoBlo message boards and responded to the question:

"Will the Us dvd of Shaun have the same stuff the Uk dvd has ?"

thusly:

"Not quite. Due to difference in bit rate requirements, there will be couple of changes. A few extras will be swapped around.

Most excitingly, we will be able to put back a couple of unrated extras that we couldn't feature on the UK edition; namely unbleeped commentaries and a special foulmouthed alternative take to the infamous Ed 'Whassup' line.* Equally filthy. Very funny.

Also expect to see some previously unseen casting sessions."

So with the R1, you'll get to hear the word "c*nt" more, but you won't get all the extras of the R2. I'll bet cash on the barrellhead right now that not all four commentaries, and the trivia subtitle track and the storyboard feature will be ported over to R1.

*I'll also bet that this take is the one that Bill Nighy refers to on one of the R2 commentaries, where instead of "niggaz" Ed says, you guessed it, "c*nts."
Old 10-18-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
eh, either way, I would suggest both versions as it's always good to get it early.
Old 10-18-04, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For those that love Spaced...

Buy the new three disc box set and watch the 80+ minute documentary, and watch it up to the very end.

Trust me on this.
Old 10-18-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 372 Likes on 309 Posts
For those that love Spaced...

Buy the new three disc box set and watch the 80+ minute documentary, and watch it up to the very end.

Trust me on this.
sorry to go off topic, but is the 3 disc Spaced set in a digipak, or some kind of keepcases?
Old 10-19-04, 08:54 AM

...is the 3 disc Spaced set in a digipak, or some kind of keepcases?
Digipak with slipcover. When folded out, the set is white inside, with very nice cartoon artwork of the cast on the discs and behind the disc holders. Its a really nice package!
Old 10-19-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And since it'll probably never be released in R1, it really is a must buy.

There's a cool review here: http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php...rder=0&thold=0
Old 10-19-04, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Good info from Edgar about the release. Hopefully everything stays intact as he said.
Old 10-19-04, 09:15 PM

Thank you for that info. Now I don't feel like such a fool for buying the R2 instead of waiting. Foul language isn't that much of a draw for me. I'll probably just rent the R1.
Old 10-21-04, 05:19 PM

Buy the new three disc [Spaced] box set and watch the 80+ minute documentary, and watch it up to the very end.

Trust me on this.
...Seconded The last 20secs of the docu are almost worth the price of double dipping on the series discs!

Dan

Last edited by Dan Smiffy; 10-21-04 at 05:34 PM.
Old 10-21-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Luther Heggs

*I'll also bet that this take is the one that Bill Nighy refers to on one of the R2 commentaries, where instead of "niggaz" Ed says, you guessed it, "c*nts."
Oh that would be a shame. That bit cracked my shit up. I don't see how c*nt would work as well. I'm black and didn't blink twice when he said it. More like nearly pissed myself. Nobody could take offence to this, especially when that clown said it "Wassup my niggaz!"...and how he popped out of the car to say it? Lord, my sides hurt.

Can't wait for this to be released. Had plans to buy a region free player for this. Still will go region free for the Spaced set, but its nice to have Shaun in r1. Great movie, and great creators behind both Shaun and Spaced. You guys are killing me with that "watch the last 20 seconds" business. Can't wait.
Old 10-21-04, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really enjoyed Shaun Of The Dead and the idea of getting Spaced is one I'm really mulling over. I would have to get a basic region free player since I really don't think I'd buy too many DVDs from others regions.

Might have to give this one some serious thought.
Old 10-22-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Guess I'll add this to my want list.
Old 10-23-04, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw this info posted on DVDReviewer.co.uk, iand if this is correct then it looks like none of the R2 commentary tracks are gonna be on the R1 release.

ook Out There`s a Zombie(or Two) About! posted at 15:17 Bookmarkable link for this item Discuss this item

Universal will release Shaun of the Dead on the 21st of December priced at $29.98.

The surprise Zombie hit film of 2004 was written by Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright. It features Pegg with Kate Ashfield, Nick Frost, Dylan Moran,Lucy Davis, Penelope Wilton, Bill Nighy and Jessica Stevenson.

Shaun(Pegg) is a already living a dead existence which he determines to change by winning back his ex- girlfriend Liz(Ashfield). He is so wrapped up in his own life and woes that he, at first, fails to notice that the legions of hell have returned to walk the earth.

Extras will include extended scenes, outtakes, casting tapes, Simon Pegg's video diary, Edgar & Simon's pitch to the studio, a special effects comparison, extended scenes from the television shows that Shaun watches in the film and galleries of production photos, ad campaign art and theatrical poster designs.

http://www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk/news/news.asp?Section=2

-Brett
Old 10-23-04, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They better get there shit together on this release.