DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ALIEN vs. PREDATOR in January...

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-04, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally posted by Romerojpg
Tuff Shit for everyone I guess,
I hope Anderson directs all the rest of the Franshise's and hope they all make loads of cash. HAHAHAHAHAHA that may shut some up then

but it wont stop people wantting to pay for the dvd I bet as they want to complete there collections.
Yur speeling and gramer givs Englesh a badd namm!

Old 10-31-04, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tuff Shit too busy playing with myself
Old 10-31-04, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by C.H.U.D.
Umm, it would make sense not own it because 1. It sucks (and you admit that) 2. How is Fox going to know this sucks if everyone buys it. High DVD sales could mean a P.W. Anderson directed sequel. Do you want to be responsible for that?
This is coming from someone with Cutthroat Island & Anaconda in their collection! What message were you sending when you bought these?

OT: Anthing with Alien & Predator is a must have!

Ripper
Old 10-31-04, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I saw an ad for AvP on TV. It is being released in the theater here on November 5th.
Old 10-31-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We are getting it on December.
Old 10-31-04, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Romerojpg
Tuff Shit too busy playing with myself
Old 11-01-04, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 784 Likes on 611 Posts
The cover art is nothing too thrilling. Not terrible but not "beautiful" either.

But, that said, I'm glad it's not really bare bones but something tells me those three deleted scenes are what separate this version from the director's cut.

I'll rent it (hey, Jack's reasons for buying it were compelling for me as a rental) but I wont buy it no matter how cheap.
Old 01-23-05, 09:46 AM

I don't really feel like reading all 5 pages.. so anyway is there gonna be a Director's Cut and is the current DVD the director's cut? I noticed it said alternate beginning, would that be enough to make it a director's cut and be R rated?

Last edited by marioxb; 01-23-05 at 09:50 AM.
Old 01-23-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I almost want to weep when I see senior members start off posts with 'I don't really feel like reading all (#) pages', leading up to a question that can have an obvious answer if they just browse for a little while.
Old 01-23-05, 12:55 PM
JM1

Avp

I personally don't think there will be a directors cut - this version has a "alternate opening", which is simply a 2 minute prologue that takes place in 1804 and shows one of the original whaling station team being attacked by a predator, which is then attacked by an alien. The Alien/Predator conftontation here is simply a flash, a teaser essentially. It adds little to the story, as we find out through the course of the film what happened to the original whalers.

There are also 9 mins of deleted scenes, but they are inconsequential.

But I cannot see there being any more footage that would substantially change the film from what it is now - the problems go deeper than that.

I actually bought the R3 version, and there are some serious crawl and grain issues in some of the dark scenes. Apart from that the pic is good, and the sound (DTS) is excellent.

The R3 version also has a pretty good showing of extras, lots of detailed making of stuff, on set reports, minatures, cgi docs, comic origins - most aspects of the production are covered.

So, a fairly decent disc, though not a great movie.

I bought it because I had not seen it before - would not say I regret buying it. I have seen worse.
Old 01-24-05, 03:46 PM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'd never buy this crap.
Old 01-24-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Wick
I'd never buy this crap.
Fine. But if you continue with one-liner thread craps you won't be a new member for much longer either.
Old 01-24-05, 07:44 PM

I'll probably be picking this up tomorrow. I thought the movie was really slow at first, but once the Aliens met the Predators, I really did enjoy it. The ending I liked too. I think I just went into the movie without my brain and it made for a fun time.
Old 01-24-05, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well JBR52, you made a good point witih that post. Alien Vs. Predator is definitely a movie you could enjoy as just a mindless flick with some eye candy in it. If you want just a good popcorn flick, Alien Vs. Predator is probably going to be alright. It's better than Resident Evil:Apocolypse at least. But if you're a fan of the series and you're expecting a good movie... just don't. You'll be let down, big time. I mean, with the way the novels and comics were done, a much better movie could have done. And for those who say that they don't think FOX knows how to handle these properties, I whole-heartedly agree. There was so much potential for a good long film with good characters, and a good storyline, with HUGE special effects scenes going on involving numerous amounts of predators and aliens. Unfortunately, they seemed to pick the most basic formula for a movie, film, and just sat back to wait for the cash to role in.
Old 01-24-05, 08:33 PM
Banned

The movie isn't bad, it just isn't that great. I like the last half of the movie. The first half was a bit slow. I quite can't put my finger on it, but there is just something about AvP that isn't as good as the first or second films. Not sure it's character development or lack there of, but there's just some "magic" missing that the first and even the second had.

What took me by surprise was
Spoiler:
how easily the Predators were killed by the Aliens. You'd think that by the durability of the Predator character in the computer games that they'd be able to take more punishment.
Old 01-24-05, 09:05 PM
Banned

I got it! I got what's wrong with AvP...well at least one thing...

The music! They didn't use any of the established Alien or Predator music to portray that tension that the other movies were so good at doing.

If they had used music from both franchises in the appropriate places, the film could have truely been great.
Old 01-24-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whats wrong with this movie? No trademark gore, disposable characters - Aliens had great supporting cast and so did Predator, and all of the little touches that characterized the previous incarnations of the characters were gone. The Predator looks like a Sumo wrestler. Wrong PRedator Vision is used - doesn't have the trademark sound nor look (even of the different Predator view shown in Predator 2). No point...as a prequel to the Alien franchise it establishes nothing besides ripping off the name (and actor) from the previous alien.
Old 01-25-05, 03:41 AM
Banned

Ya know, if a flick has VS. in the title, I'm not really expecting a great, air-tight plot, or really good characterizations, I want to see the two people on opposite ends of the VS. duke it out, you get plenty of that in AVP, although I think FvJ is a much better way to bring two villians together, AVP is nevertheless a good bit of fun that I enjoyed more at home than at the cinemas.
Old 01-25-05, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
actually, you don't even get that in this film.

When I see Alien VS predator in the title I expect to see a lot more than one alien killing 2 of the three predators.

I defended this film before it came out to no end. I gave it a chance and I ate crow hard because of how bad it was. Predators aren't even Predators and the fights are just lame. The only worth while shot between the two species is when he does the jump flip spear to the queen. But even that made no sense why aliens were on earth.

If you are going to try to bring in the two franchises then atleast do it better. They could have easily connected a reason as to why "the company" was on this search for aliens in the film alien. Or why they wanted them so badly in aliens. But no, they go and
Spoiler:
kill of bishop
so wastefully that it's lame.

P.W.S.A. really dropped the ball here. Chanster got it right. If you are going to try to have these creatures in a film atleast have the common sense of watching their original film. P.W.S.A seems to not know anything about them. Hunting in the frozen climent, their vision totally wrong, longer blades when hunting creatures that will melt said blades.

One terrible movie... But I'm still going to buy it because the price is so low. I'll enjoy Predator 2 a shit lot more though. And that is saying a lot.
Old 01-25-05, 04:30 AM
Banned

OMG their blades are longer! OMG! It's not correct continuity! OMG! THE MOVIE SUCKS!!!

Old 01-25-05, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Well.. was there any real reason for the blades to be longer?

I mean, fuck, one slash and those long blades were destroyed.

as for continuity. If you bring in a character from the franchise that isn't predator or alien then you better have some god damn continuity or atleast use the character in a way that works. This did not. Just because it had VS in the title doesn't mean that they can't alteast have some of the pieces of what made the two franchises a success in this one. VS is no excuse.

Face it, the movie wasn't very good and we can look at who was behind it for reason why.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 01-25-05 at 04:55 AM.
Old 01-25-05, 05:03 AM
Banned

Face it, the movie wasn't very good and we can look at who was behind it for reason why.
You may not have liked it, but I enjoyed it and I'm a big fan of both series. Not everyone shares your views.
Old 01-25-05, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No, I didn't like it. Thanks for your excellent observation of that. I'm sure you also observed the reasons why it wasn't what it could have been. Though I don't see your list of reasons why the film was good besides "well, it was a VS film... so my standards are lowered"
Old 01-25-05, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Well to a certain extent I certainly had to role my eyes after seeing the Predators face. It looked so... almost cartoony. I didn't care about longer blades or anything like that, and I didn't really care if there was continuity or not. It could have easily been a stand-alone movie. But I dunno, the character they threw in there that we all know from other Alien films, was just really out of place. Also, as I said, there's already been much much much much much much MUCH better storylines in use, that would have made for a far better movie.

And there's a scene which makes me look at it and go, damn, why couldn't they have given us a movie based on THAT? It was the kind of thing you would expect from a movie like this but unfortunately was just a quick blurb.

BUT... I can say that I'm sure once I get home, pop this into my home theater system and begin to watch, I'll still enjoy it, perhaps even moreso than I did in the theater. After all as I've said, it IS a decent popcorn flick.
Old 01-25-05, 06:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
No, I didn't like it. Thanks for your excellent observation of that. I'm sure you also observed the reasons why it wasn't what it could have been. Though I don't see your list of reasons why the film was good besides "well, it was a VS film... so my standards are lowered"
Well man, that's the truth. This isn't a movie that warrants deep explanations of why one liked it, I was entertained for 100 minutes and that's all I asked of it. I didn't expect it to be Alien or Predator, I expected it to be a pretty good sci-fi action flick and it was.

Oh and btw, the flashback scene of the Predator's helping the humans and shit, was really really cool!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.