DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ANH glaring error

Old 09-25-04, 10:24 PM

ANH glaring error

just got the star wars trilogy on dvd last night from borders.com. tonight i watched a new hope. there seem to be quite a few problems with the video. if you have the dvds, did you notice a glaring problem with the creature outside the door of the cantina? he's missing his lower half...

keith
Old 09-25-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He is standing behind a wall, which is why you can't see his lower half.
Old 09-25-04, 11:13 PM

Is anyone even ENJOYING these movies or is everyone just trying to pick everything to death?
Old 09-26-04, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by TopHatCat64
Is anyone even ENJOYING these movies or is everyone just trying to pick everything to death?
No no no. You're missing the fun of Star Wars. The point is to bitch about Lucas changing things and updated special effects, then to go back and complain that there's a small technical defect in the presentation.

Wait you mean you actually watch the movies for like the story and stuff? Bah!

On a more serious note, I think it's just a case where these are films that many will watch over and over, and since everyone is talking about them, it's fun in some ways to pick them apart. The magic of multiple threads...you can avoid the topics we don't like.
Old 09-26-04, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, but which polyphonic ringtone do you think Han Solo uses?
Old 09-26-04, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It doesn't matter because everyone knows he doesn't get service with Cingular in outer space. That's just common sense.
Old 09-26-04, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by DarthMarino
He is standing behind a wall, which is why you can't see his lower half.
uhh... take a closer look...
Old 09-26-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another glaring error I heard in the cantina scene (while continuing to ENJOY the movie ) is that Han says something along the lines of "I made that route in less than 30 parsecs" referring to a unit of time. A parsec is a unit of distance.
Old 09-26-04, 10:11 AM

Obviously, a "parsec" is something different in the Star Wars universe than it is in our universe.
Old 09-26-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Yeah, that's a wall, dude. The CGI is a tad shaky, but it's behind a wall.
Old 09-26-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SMB-IL
Another glaring error I heard in the cantina scene (while continuing to ENJOY the movie ) is that Han says something along the lines of "I made that route in less than 30 parsecs" referring to a unit of time. A parsec is a unit of distance.
From the official Star Wars FAQ:

He was lying to Ben and Luke and trying to make himself look good. This is shown in the novel adaptation of A New Hope. If you look at the movie, Ben gives Han a disbelieving face after this line. Kevin Anderson gives an alternate answer in his Star Wars books.

If you need a bit more proof than a novel adaptation, look in Episode II. Obi-Wan clearly knows what a parsec is.
Old 09-26-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Drexl

From the official Star Wars FAQ:

He was lying to Ben and Luke and trying to make himself look good. This is shown in the novel adaptation of A New Hope. If you look at the movie, Ben gives Han a disbelieving face after this line. Kevin Anderson gives an alternate answer in his Star Wars books.

If you need a bit more proof than a novel adaptation, look in Episode II. Obi-Wan clearly knows what a parsec is.
There was an amusing story about this in one of the recent Dark Horse comics. But, then again, George is selective about which non-cinematic stories are part of the cannon [even though Lucasfilm approves every single thing..].
Old 09-26-04, 01:28 PM

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Yeah, that's a wall, dude. The CGI is a tad shaky, but it's behind a wall.
well do you have the special edition on vhs? take a look at that... i don't think it's a wall...

keith
Old 09-26-04, 01:35 PM

This thread is useless without a screencap.
Old 09-26-04, 02:27 PM

It is clearly a wall. It's as plain as the nose on my face. There was always a dewback there. This scene is the same as it was before, the only difference is the dewback is now CG.

Edit: The wall may be new, I don't remember. But it's clearly a wall he's standing behind.

Last edited by Terrell; 09-26-04 at 02:55 PM.
Old 09-26-04, 04:01 PM
Banned

It's hard to enjoy ANH when the sound has been completely butchered.
Old 09-26-04, 04:17 PM

In ANH when C3-PO, and R2-D2 crash on Tat. As they are walking away and you see the pod in the back, to the right of it there is a big blue splotch, that looks to be the same blue color of a blue screen, is that suposed to be there, as in being a parashute, if it is, there doesn't seem to be any texture to it at all.
Old 09-26-04, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

which creature in that picture is supposedly missing its lower half?
Old 09-26-04, 09:38 PM

which creature in that picture is supposedly missing its lower half?
He's talking about the dewback in the background, but it's obvious he standing behind a wall.
Old 09-26-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was hoping they would erase the R5 droid error scene when uncle owen is buying the droids. After it has blown up while still next to luke, it appears in a shot next to R2 again when it clearly cannot be. Maybe the 30th anniversary version will get rid of it as well as fixed sound and lightsabers.

Also, they forgot to color chewie's feet when they are swinging on the vine in ROTJ. Doh.
Old 09-26-04, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As you can see he was behind the wall in 1977 and remained there in the 1997/2004 version.

Old 09-26-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Terrell
He's talking about the dewback in the background, but it's obvious he standing behind a wall.
no wonder i couldnt tell...its DEFINITELY behind a wall. what the hell was he talking about?!
Old 09-27-04, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Ojam
In ANH when C3-PO, and R2-D2 crash on Tat. As they are walking away and you see the pod in the back, to the right of it there is a big blue splotch, that looks to be the same blue color of a blue screen, is that suposed to be there, as in being a parashute, if it is, there doesn't seem to be any texture to it at all.
I thought that also when I first watched ANH on DVD, but if you watch them get into the POD, you will see that the inside of the door hatch is indeed very blue. So, it is very blue in the bright sun light.
Old 09-27-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Back in 1977 my assumption was that the line was bluster by Han Solo.

But in this DVD set Lucas addresses the issue in the ANH commentary (1:03:20) by saying that navigating around obstacles in hyperspace is difficult and the Millennium Falcon's navicomputer is the best there is, hence Solo can get between two points in a shorter distance by means of more precise navigating, making it the "fastest" ship in the galaxy. This was the reason for bragging about making "the Kessel run in less than twelve parsecs", a unit of distance (3.26 light-years).

It was clear from what Lucas said that he was well aware of the criticism of his use of the term "parsec". But he threw a lot of jargon into Star Wars (for example the term "droids"), without explanation, on purpose. He was trying to present his created universe from the point of view that everyone knew how things worked and he could just get on with telling the story, without exposition of the technical details. In 1977 this was a major departure from the norm.

Last edited by lizard; 09-28-04 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-27-04, 02:37 PM
Suspended

I know I'm enjoying them. It must suck to be fixated on minor things and not be able to enjoy these great dvd's.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.