DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

ANH glaring error

Old 09-27-04, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

agreed
Old 09-27-04, 09:02 PM

i concede.

and yes, i am enjoying these movies on dvd very much.

thanks for the replys,
keith
Old 09-27-04, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the transfers for these new DVDs are just so crisp and clean that people are noticing finer details for the first time. I know that happened to me the first time I put in the Emprie Strikes Back DVD. I swore they added all these details, but when I put in the previous version, I just saw the details were that much more crisp and detailed.

I also think that people have seen these movies so many times over their life that by now, they are noticing finer details they never caught before. There is nothing wrong with that, it isn't they are not enjoying the movies, it's just that after you see the same images so many times, your eyes tend to look at other things in the background and around the main action. It's natural, and I don't understand people who DON'T notice these things after a multitude of viewings of these movies.

Last edited by calhoun07; 09-27-04 at 10:46 PM.
Old 09-27-04, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I cant believe they didnt fix the alien in the cantina who has one human hand and one alien hand.
Old 09-28-04, 02:22 PM

While Lucas did address the parsecs=distance vs. time dilemma in the commentary, I personally don't think he did a very good job. He kinda fumbled his way through it and didn't make much sense. It was kind of like he was explaining a theory that he didn't really understand himself. Anyway, I've heard 3 possible explanations with increasing degrees of believability (the second one is somewhat similar to what Lucas said on the commentary):

1: The Kessel Run involves delivering smuggled goods to a number of cargo ships moving on a set course at a predetermined speed. The longer it takes you to complete your delivery, the further they will have traveled before you get to them. So the '12 parsecs' that han was referring to is the distance travelled by the cargo ships. If he had taken longer, the ships would have flown farther from their original destination before he was finished.

2: The Kessel Run involves navigating through (I think it was called the Great Maw) an area of space that is heavily clustered with black holes. Everyone knows that if you get too close to a black hole you will be sucked in and never heard from again. So in order to complete the Kessel run, pilots have to plot a long and twising course that veers far away from any of the black holes. Of course, the faster your ship travels, the closer you can get to a black hole without being sucked in, because you're whooshing by with such great velocity. Han's '12 parsecs' refers to his nearly straight-line course through the maze of black holes. I read somewhere that anything below 18 parsecs is something to be proud of. This is pretty similar to what Lucas said, but when I heard him tell it he didn't tell it very well.

3. (and this one needs the least explanation) Han was lying. He was talkin' tall to make a buck. Either he didn't know, or he was betting that THEY didn't know, WHAT a parsec was, but thought it sounded good and hoped they bought it (likely, LUCAS didn't know what a parsec was but thought it sounded good...and hoped they bought it...and they did. On VHS, THX, LD, SE, and DVD)
Old 09-28-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

While Lucas did address the parsecs=distance vs. time dilemma in the commentary, I personally don't think he did a very good job.
Or how about, who gives a flip. This aint Star Trek, pardon my grammar. It was just a line of dialogue to convery the speed capabilities of the Falcon. It wasn't meant to be dissected in minute detail.

It's silly little things like this that Star Wars fans obssess over, that make me shake my head in disbelief.
Old 09-29-04, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
here's a glaring error
Old 09-30-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by SMB-IL
Another glaring error I heard in the cantina scene (while continuing to ENJOY the movie ) is that Han says something along the lines of "I made that route in less than 30 parsecs" referring to a unit of time. A parsec is a unit of distance.
i see no problem here. Who is to say that the "kessel run" or whatever its called isn't an event in which you have a certain amount of time to travel as far as you can... Han is bragging that he made it almost 30 parsecs.

j
Old 09-30-04, 11:55 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by TopHatCat64
Is anyone even ENJOYING these movies or is everyone just trying to pick everything to death?
How fast can YOU do the Kessel run in tough guy?!?!
Old 10-06-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by bumperfish
While Lucas did address the parsecs=distance vs. time dilemma in the commentary, I personally don't think he did a very good job. He kinda fumbled his way through it and didn't make much sense. It was kind of like he was explaining a theory that he didn't really understand himself. Anyway, I've heard 3 possible explanations with increasing degrees of believability (the second one is somewhat similar to what Lucas said on the commentary):

1: The Kessel Run involves delivering smuggled goods to a number of cargo ships moving on a set course at a predetermined speed. The longer it takes you to complete your delivery, the further they will have traveled before you get to them. So the '12 parsecs' that han was referring to is the distance travelled by the cargo ships. If he had taken longer, the ships would have flown farther from their original destination before he was finished.

2: The Kessel Run involves navigating through (I think it was called the Great Maw) an area of space that is heavily clustered with black holes. Everyone knows that if you get too close to a black hole you will be sucked in and never heard from again. So in order to complete the Kessel run, pilots have to plot a long and twising course that veers far away from any of the black holes. Of course, the faster your ship travels, the closer you can get to a black hole without being sucked in, because you're whooshing by with such great velocity. Han's '12 parsecs' refers to his nearly straight-line course through the maze of black holes. I read somewhere that anything below 18 parsecs is something to be proud of. This is pretty similar to what Lucas said, but when I heard him tell it he didn't tell it very well.

3. (and this one needs the least explanation) Han was lying. He was talkin' tall to make a buck. Either he didn't know, or he was betting that THEY didn't know, WHAT a parsec was, but thought it sounded good and hoped they bought it (likely, LUCAS didn't know what a parsec was but thought it sounded good...and hoped they bought it...and they did. On VHS, THX, LD, SE, and DVD)
I had heard something similar. Since space/time distorts near black holes, by travelling quickly enough you can fly very close to the singularities, decreasing time and distance travelled.

It's probably mostly junk science anyway, but it seems as reasonable as any other explanation.

birrman54
Old 10-09-04, 05:35 PM

*Janice mode on* O-H M-Y G-O-D *Janice mode off*

C´mon..I know its Star Wars, but jeez...its "just" a movie...Its not science ! Its science FICTION...as in its not real...

Dont get me wrong...Im a big Star Wars fan too, and I hate that Greedo shoots first, and I would rather have the originals (thank God for Laserdisc), but really...do we have to pick everything apart and ruin the fun (or in this case, the fun thats LEFT) of movies...