DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

STAR WARS - DVD GLITCH!!!!

Old 09-23-04, 11:02 AM

So what is everyone doing about their problems? I haven't returned it yet because I'm guaranteed that I'll get a "fixed" version. I feel like I'm in limbo on this.
Old 09-23-04, 11:17 AM

Well....maybe everyone should politely start calling or e-mail Fox to let them know about these problems, and maybe they'll issue corrected discs.

Maybe?
Old 09-23-04, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We don't even know if it's a disc problem or a DVD player firmware problem.

Some have returned it with corrected results. Some have returned it with no change in the glitches.

There *MAY* be some bad discs. But, I think the ones associated with scene near the layer change could possibly be a firmware problem.

I forgot my sister bought a brand new DVD player. I'll see if it plays well there.
Old 09-23-04, 03:40 PM

Disc or Software Problem

I don't think all these problems people are having are issues with their dvd players. It just couldn't happen on this many players. This is definetely a problem with the dvd themselves. If you look at the back of the dvd at the center of the ring you can see what a crappy job they did on these disc.

If Lucas is as smart as I think he is he'll recall these and issue new discs. Hopefully he'll put them in a better outer box too. The one they have currently is so cheap I tossed it in the trash!!!

I just can't understand how they would make people wait so long and hype this thing up so much only to release it in a cheap, flemsy, crappy box and to have the disc play like crap!!

Last edited by dallas75205; 09-23-04 at 03:49 PM.
Old 09-23-04, 05:34 PM

Doesn't Lucas provide a phone number at the end of the credits, so you can complain about presentation problems? I know it is for theater experience, but why not use it here too?
Old 09-23-04, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On the THX website it says this about the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs:

When consumers watch the “Star Wars” Trilogy DVDs this weekend, they’ll be treated to a presentation that was developed using groundbreaking, new DVD mastering and quality control (QC) processes. THX spent more than a year working on the “Star Wars” Trilogy project, which included developing new techniques for mastering films to DVD. The improvements have resulted in a sound and picture experience that promises to set a new standard for presentation excellence on the DVD format.
Plus, there is a page explaining why some THX DVDs might have a hard time playing:

Technical Difficulties when playing a THX Certified DVD

All THX Certified DVD titles are guaranteed, at the time of their creation, to meet strict manufacturing and performance criteria as set down by the DVD standards groups DVDA, NIST and OSTA and be compatible with all current DVD players which are also manufactured and certified to these standards. Even so, there are instances where you might encounter difficulty playing a DVD such as a skipped scene, frozen screen or improper display. These problems are caused by improperly implemented control software in the chipset within the DVD player itself, not the disc. Contact your DVD player manufacturer for possible solutions.
Older or cheaper DVD players will become obsolete because the authoring systems used to make DVDs keep changing.
Since the demand for the Star Wars DVDs is unusually more than the normal DVD release, PLUS the fact that a new authoring process was used, it is conceivable that the problem could be with the outdated software in our DVD players. Some players have firmware upgrades which are basically free. Hopefully, some of these upgrades will come out in due time.
Old 09-23-04, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The ESB scroll is skipping something awful on mine.
Old 09-25-04, 03:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My A New Hope plays fine.

However, I think this might be a problem with my ESB disc (it has no scratches fingerprints on it).

On chapter 27, right at the 58:36 mark, it completely freezes. You can't fast forward it past this point. However, you can skip to the next chapter. You then have to rewind it to the 58:37 mark but if hit the 58:36 mark, it'll freeze again.

This happened on both my Sony DAV-C770 5-Disc Dream System DVD Player and my computer Lite-On 16X DVD-Rom drive.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it just my disc?
Old 09-25-04, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, I've watched all 4 discs in their entirety, and not once single glitch. No subtitle problems, no dropouts, no lockups, no pixelization, no skips, no nothing. Every disc worked flawlessly. The only problems I had really aren't glitches. The two audio screwups in ANH. The reversed music in the surrounds and the missing music that starts off the Battle of Yavin.

As for the tonal changes in parts of ANH, they're not glitches or screwup. They were that was originally. The only reason it's noticeable now is because they've been cleaned up to extremely high levels.
Old 09-25-04, 10:02 AM
Retired

I've had no problems with the bonus disc (watched everything) or ANH.

I didn't notice the layer change on ANH or the two audio screwups. I did notice the incosistent volume on the dialogue, but that's no big deal.
Old 09-25-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had the layer change problem and some freezing on the other disk.

***If I cleaned the disk all the problems went away, even though the DVD looks clean.***

I hope this helps others.
Old 09-25-04, 03:13 PM

I had a terrible glitch on ESB where it would even pixel up badly. I exchanged the disc and now it works.
Old 09-25-04, 04:14 PM
Cool New Member

I've noticed skipping on all three movies and ESB even froze on me 7 minutes in. I watched the first 2 on my Toshiba SD-2109 and ROTJ on my PC (Lite On DVD Drive w/ Power DVD).
Old 09-25-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Arrrgh.

None of the four DVDs will play past the layer change on my PC, using a Lite-On DVD Drive/Burner LDW-811S. (Before or after cleaning; with any software player.)

They play fine on my Malata DVD player DVP-520. And it's not the drive--or at least it still plays all other dual-layered discs just fine.

Sigh. Am I just sh-out of luck? Some compatibility issue? I'm off now to check for driver updates, but I'm not hopeful. The drive is less than a year old.

I dread the idea of having to repack the set and send it back to Amazon, since there's no guarantee another set won't have the same issue, whatever it is...

If this sounds familiar to anyone, please let me know...

Last edited by adamblast; 09-25-04 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-25-04, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I exchanged my set. I primarily had problems with the Star Wars disc, and as it turned out, was a bit more badly defected than I initially thought. I hadn't gone through the entire movie when I spotted the first problem, but there were even more picture/sound breakups as the disc continued, mainly in chapter 27. The new disc works perfectly fine.

I did run into one odd quirk with TESB. Seven minutes into the movie, the disc just paused on its own (it didn't do that on subsequent playings). When I pushed "play," it resumed, but there was no audio. Hitting the audio button several times simply gave me the message: "Audio Not Present." Pushing "stop" and then "play" didn't help, but I hit the menu button to "restart" the disc, and it ran fine. However, I have already run into the "Audio Not Present" a couple of other times, although those seemed to have occurred when I was accessing specific times of the disc. This doesn't bother me enough to warrant another exchange since it seems to be a bit of a random thing and that my player sometimes does odd things like that.

ROTJ and the bonus disc played flawlessly.
Old 09-25-04, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

None of the four DVDs will play past the layer change on my PC
Computer software DVD players are notoriously glitchy and buggy. I have the newest version of PowerDVD, and it's still glitchy. Hell, if Microsoft can't build an OS than isn't glitchy, then you can't expect these DVD companies to build one easily.

I suspect, many of the glitches being reported in the glitch thread, are being reported from disc viewed on the computer. Play the DVD on a real DVD player, with hardware decoding. Then report problems if you find them.
Old 09-25-04, 11:56 PM
Banned

After exchanging my set at a different store than the original purchase, all of the discs play fine.

Looks like returning the set until you get a good one is the way to go, but a LOT of bad discs got out.
Old 09-26-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I got the same glitch on ANH around the 57 minute mark (chapter 26). Froze up completely on my Pioneer 333. I returned it, and asked if they had any from a different shipment, which they did----the new set seems to play fine.
Old 09-26-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i know this isnt a glitch but whats the deal, every time someone turns on their light saber, you see them "jump" - is that some sort of editing thing?
Old 09-26-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The "jump" in the activation of the lightsaber is when they stopped filming so a stagehand could replace the lightsaber handle-only prop with one that had the glowing rod thing. When turned at an angle towards the light, it appeared to "light up" like a lightsaber. The rod would otherwise be "invisible" at different angles.

This thing was shown on a CBS special back in 1983 following the network premiere of the movie.
Old 09-26-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

oh.
Old 09-27-04, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Has anyone else cleaned their DVDs, even though they look perfect, and that fixed all of the Star Wars problems.

I re-test my cleaned DVDs today and everthing still worked ok.

1. Layer freeze in SW ANH - Now Fixed
2. Jumping sceens thoughout all the movies - Now Fixed

There might be someone kind of film on the DVDs causing problems?
Old 09-27-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Iron_Giant
Has anyone else cleaned their DVDs, even though they look perfect, and that fixed all of the Star Wars problems.

I re-test my cleaned DVDs today and everthing still worked ok.

1. Layer freeze in SW ANH - Now Fixed
2. Jumping sceens thoughout all the movies - Now Fixed

There might be someone kind of film on the DVDs causing problems?
Dang, now I have to buy a DVD cleaner. Well, I guess I should've had one anyway.
Old 09-27-04, 03:30 AM

Originally posted by drjay
...whenever there is a Tie Fighters on screen (in ANH at least) it has a big red or green hazy boax around it, looks like some sort of residual CG thing. It's weird.
I noticed that two, in just a couple of shots. It's strange that it isn't visible in all the shots, just a couple.
Old 09-27-04, 06:58 AM

I returned my set, and BB had just received a new shipment of widescreen dvds. So far, so good. The glitch at chapter 26 of ANH is gone. Haven't tested layer changes or any of the other discs, but will report back if I have any problems.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.