Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else planning on getting rid of their "Return of the Jedi" DVD?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Anyone else planning on getting rid of their "Return of the Jedi" DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-04, 04:27 PM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it's the best of the three to me anyways. no way, it's a keeper
Old 09-15-04, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

critically, ROTJ was the weakest of the trilogy. i even remember not liking it as much as a kid when i saw it in the theaters (compared to empire or new hope), for some of the reasons stated in the link above. like many things vintage, as time passed, people tend to forgive the faults.
Old 09-15-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally posted by Terrell
If you're going to comment on a film, get your facts straight. The rebellion defeated to Empire in the space battle, with the help of Vader killing the Emperor. The ewoks just help Han, Chewy, Leia, and a dozen or so rebel troops hold off a legion of storm troopers so they could destroy the shield generator.

Then again, I guess you never heard of the vietnam war.
Riiiight. Whether or not the shield generator was operational had no effect whatsoever on the outcome of that battle. They just destroyed it for the helluvit.

As for Viet Nam. The Vietnamese were well-equipped with firepower. They didn't fend off US troops with only rocks and sharp sticks. I highly recommend reading some history books that don't come with a box of crayons.
Old 09-15-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally posted by Green Jello
Wow, who ever wrote that, REALLY hates the film.
And sadly, I find myself agreeing with every one of 'em.
Old 09-15-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
Meh. Read it a long time ago. A lot of it's seriously reaching just so he can fulfill the "50".
Old 09-15-04, 04:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I completely agree with this newbie.

Finally see the light and actually say something smart scott, it's a proud day for me. sniffle sniffle.
Well, it was a matter of going to the light or the dark side and since you were standing there in the light, Jack, I ran the hell the other way!
Old 09-15-04, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jason Bovberg
I can't take a list seriously which lists "bad effects" as a negative but cites "speeder chase" as a good thing. The speeder chase effects as are bad as or worse than anything else in the movie. It looks worse than the "driving car" effect they do on SNL.
Old 09-15-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
I can't take a list seriously which lists "bad effects" as a negative but cites "speeder chase" as a good thing. The speeder chase effects as are bad as or worse than anything else in the movie. It looks worse than the "driving car" effect they do on SNL.

The same book actually also lists "10 reasons why Jedi Rocks" or something like that. One mention is that the Imperial March never sounded better during the Emperor's arrival on the Deathstar. Yet on this "list", music is one of the bad things.
Old 09-15-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
No.No.No.
Old 09-15-04, 05:26 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

What I don't get is, if you react this strongly to Return of the Jedi, how can you stomach the special edition changes to Star Wars and Empire Strikes Back? I'm not bothered by any of it, mind you, but the RotJ hating mindset usually comes from purists who feel it was the beginning of Lucas' slide that eventually led to the Special Editions and the prequels. I would have thought in this mindset the Special Editions were a greater crime than RotJ (which I realize is also a special edition, but the "double whammy" aspect of this seems beside the point).
Old 09-15-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm still waiting for more people to get over their pre-adolescant nostalgia for this film and realize how poor it really is.
from conception to execution, i have nothing but disdain for this one on every level.

a very embarassing follow up to ESB.
luke should have been an introspective, brooding, emotional ghost for much of Jedi (because of everything that went down in ESB) and yet right off the bat, he swaggers around like a bad ass and cracks smart ass quips like he is trying to be a mini-Han Solo.

the only point in the movie you get an honest sense of what this character should be going thru, is in his talk with leia before he bounces off to tell his father how wonderful he is.
Old 09-15-04, 05:31 PM

Aside from being a completist, why would you keep trash that you don't want?

Go for it Wannabe.

Last edited by SeekOnce; 09-15-04 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-15-04, 05:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by GuyverX
Dumbest....thread....ever. Okay, maybe not, but it's up there.

And yet you took the time to participate in it. The concept is simple, if you aren't going to participate in the discussion, then don't post in the thread.
Old 09-15-04, 05:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by El-Kabong
So, do you rip the last hundred or so pages out of the ends of your books too?

If this is a threadcrap, then so be it - but this is the stupidest idea I've ever seen, this is the lamest thread I've ever had this misfortune to read, and I feel stupider for just being here.

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
ahh... it isn't quite dvdtalk without a pointless star wars thread every day.

See my post above.

Originally posted by SeekOnce
Aside from being a completist, why would keep trash that you don't want?

Go for it Wannabe.
Also, there is no need for name calling.
Old 09-15-04, 05:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Terrell
I felt cheated just by clicking on the link to this stupid thread.
There are also some of you that wouldn't know a good movie if it bit them in the ass.

And finally, a combination of a threadcrap and an insult. Terrell, I'd suggest that you stick with comments like the middle portion of your post instead of the ones at the beginning and the end.
Old 09-15-04, 06:13 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dead
Also, there is no need for name calling.
Uh,... Wannabe is actually his name.
Old 09-15-04, 06:19 PM

He has got you there.
Old 09-15-04, 06:20 PM

C'mon. Laugh with us.
Old 09-15-04, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Nope, I'm keeping mine. I enjoyed RotJ.
Old 09-15-04, 06:25 PM
Banned

This may seem like sacriledge here, but actually I find that Empire is the weakest of the three films. Oh, I still like it, but I just didn't feel that it had enough action, as did Jedi. I think that what made Clones a much disliked film. The only good part was the final Batte of Genosis. The rest was dreck. Well, actually, I always viewed Clones as the prequal version of Empire. I mean you had your asteroid chase, your land battle, and a lightsaber duel. In Phantom, you had a space battle, a land battle, light saber duels, and a bunch of stuff on Tatooine along with the pod race which could double as the speeder-bike chase from Jedi. With Empire, you had a land battle, asteroid chase, and a light saber duel.
Old 09-15-04, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i will come to the defense of the original poster. if you dont like the film, get rid of the film. there is no point in him keeping a movie he doesnt want. the collector mentality of DVDs have gotten nuts. the guy doesnt like the movie, if he can get a few bucks for it then cool, break up that mint box set with the perfect corners and just keep what you want.

as for people getting mad about another worthless star wars post, they all become pretty worthless because fanboys dont like to be told their beloved sucks, and lucas bashers dont like fanboys. its like a michael moore thread, it always goes to the same place and becomes worthless.
Old 09-15-04, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by Green Jello
Uh,... Wannabe is actually his name.
Darn, beat me to it...ROTFLOL
Old 09-15-04, 06:27 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
This may seem like sacriledge here, but actually I find that Empire is the weakest of the three films. Oh, I still like it, but I just didn't feel that it had enough action, as did Jedi. I think that what made Clones a much disliked film. The only good part was the final Batte of Genosis. The rest was dreck. Well, actually, I always viewed Clones as the prequal version of Empire. I mean you had your asteroid chase, your land battle, and a lightsaber duel. In Phantom, you had a space battle, a land battle, light saber duels, and a bunch of stuff on Tatooine along with the pod race which could double as the speeder-bike chase from Jedi.
It would be interesting to see how all 6 films are viewed in 20 years. Maybe the first 3 (ep1-3)will become classics.
Old 09-15-04, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked Jedi so no I wont.
Old 09-15-04, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to buy the box set so I can throw it in the trash.
Or better yet, and more cost effective is to wait until I get the original versions. Or, the most likely to happen, to wait forever until the original versions come out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.