Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Passion of Christ DVD ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
To hopefully take this thread into a technical aspect of the DVD, I have a question...

I noticed some pixilated types of glitches in the movie, most noticibly during the scene in which Pontius Pilate is addressing the crowd about the Jesus/Barrabas situation. After rewinding it a few times, I noticed the glitches occur at moments when the subtitles appear on the screen. Sure enough, when I turned the subtitles off and watched the scene again, no glitches. Is this common in subtitling a DVD, or did they just do a poor job of it for this disc? I'm asking because I don't really have anything to compare to, as I don't really make it a habit to watch a movie with subtitles on unless I can't understand a line someone is saying.

BTW...hope it isn't "spoiling" anything if I correct a previous poster and state that it was actually his left pupil.
[jesus] [/jesus]
Old 09-01-04, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Just thought of another question....

Are visually impaired audio tracks always this lame? Jes.....oops.

Last edited by The_Infidel; 09-06-04 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-02-04, 12:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
this was rushed out to fill a demand that people wanted to see the film. I dont think that church groups and christians hate special features and I'm sure they would enjoy them. The purpose of this was to get it out the door already.
exactly. never said christians are stupid. i think the majority of the people that will buy this are the people who just want the film and that's why the produced the barebones version.
Old 09-02-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The demand for this was definitely high. I'm sure getting at least a basic version out soon was a must.

I would imagine the SE for this will probably be pretty darn impressive. If they can just pull off the JC commentary track I am in for the double dip.
Old 09-02-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by audiomixer
Never saw it...Don't ever want to!
You don't have to agree with the film to watch it. Its a powerful piece of cinema and really should be seen by everyone at some point in their lives. Whether you think its truth or fiction is besides the point.

I love the original Star Wars trilogy, but don't believe in Jedis or Lucas as a director. Same kind of thing works for this movie.
Old 09-02-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Altimus Prime
I was at Target today and saw Passion DVDs piled up in THREE different locations in the store.

Seems to support my personal idea this won't sell well on DVD. Why? Well, I'm not a religious person, but I wanted to see this movie, and I did see it. It's a powerful, well-made film, a true experience, and should be seen - once. I was in a packed theater where there were people who I was amazed didn't collapse or leave in tears because they couldn't take it. Given that, I can't fathom why anyone would want to watch this movie repeatedly, which is a standard I use when deciding what DVDs to buy.

Conversely, there was only one of the Star Trek first season sets. I bought that.
You were saying?
Old 09-02-04, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by darkside
The demand for this was definitely high. I'm sure getting at least a basic version out soon was a must.

I would imagine the SE for this will probably be pretty darn impressive. If they can just pull off the JC commentary track I am in for the double dip.
ROFL!!!!!

how bout a script to screen comparison, in other words it comes with a bible....
Old 09-02-04, 08:59 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
It's got subtitles for the hard of hearing, but sadly none for the hard of heart.
There must be a contest out there. The church that does the most online witnessing gets a free case of discs. LOL
Old 09-02-04, 09:02 AM
Banned

So in which section are the stores supposed to stock the disc when it's no longer a new release?

Action?

Family?

Science Fiction?

Funny how the usual suspects wouldn't mind THIS r-rated film being put in the family section.
Old 09-02-04, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by cardaway
So in which section are the stores supposed to stock the disc when it's no longer a new release?

Action?

Family?

Science Fiction?

Funny how the usual suspects wouldn't mind THIS r-rated film being put in the family section.
Drama
Old 09-02-04, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by LuisL
how bout a script to screen comparison, in other words it comes with a bible....
If it comes with a script it should include a copy of The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the book by Sister Anne Emmerich (1774-1824) which she wrote from her "visions." Gibson based his film much more on that than upon the Gospels.

http://www.emmerich1.com/DOLOROUS_PA...SUS_CHRIST.htm

Last edited by movielib; 09-02-04 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-02-04, 11:03 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by audiomixer
Sorry...but no thanks!!! Don't care for the subject material and DON"T care for Mel's religious beliefs!

audiomixer, if you have no intrest in the DVD or it's content, then I would suggest you stay out of the thread. Threadcrapping is against the forum rules.
Old 09-02-04, 11:18 AM

ARRRGH! My roommate got FOOLSCREEN because "his TV wasn't widescreen". I wish people would understand that they are missing out by getting full screen! Looks like I might be picking this up anyway and double dip for the SE.
Old 09-02-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

has there been any hint of an SE release? braveheart did not get a re-release (IFIRC).

kms
Old 09-02-04, 03:19 PM
Banned

I haven't seen any definitive statement that there will be a SE release, but anything's possible. It could be months, could be years, could be never.
Old 09-06-04, 01:00 AM
Banned

It's so awesome to see that a great film that doesn't gloss over the suffering and death of our Lord is doing so well. I predict The Passion will change lives for many years to come -- bonus features or not.
Old 09-06-04, 01:15 AM
Banned

Re: INCREDIBLE DETAIL

Originally posted by BBEANLPHIE
Wow. The scene where Jesus dies which is about 1:52:00 into the movie you can actually see his right pupil dilate just like a real person dying. Incredible detail. A++++
Actually, it's His left eye. The right one is swollen shut.

A poster on the My Life After boards brought that up. I hadn't noticed it before, and I think it's a wonderful touch, but I also think it's an insult to The Last Temptation of Christ. In that film, Willem Dafoe's eyes were medically dialated to give his portrayal of our Lord a wild-eyed, maniacal look while he preaches. In fact, the doctors overdid it and it was days before Dafoe could see properly.
Old 09-06-04, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by cardaway
Most video libraries have a "religion" section. Stuff like religious films, documentaries on biblical events, A & E biographies of Billy Graham and the Pope, that sort of thing. That or the "Special Interest" section.
Old 09-06-04, 01:52 PM
Banned

When will they do a movie on Hanukkah Harry?
Old 09-06-04, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: INCREDIBLE DETAIL

Originally posted by BBEANLPHIE
Wow. The scene where Jesus dies which is about 1:52:00 into the movie you can actually see his right pupil dilate just like a real person dying. Incredible detail. A++++
Yeah that detail is pretty incredible, however I think they did a poor job with the "boxer mouthpiece" set of bloody teeth. Totally protrouds forward from his lower set of teeth and looks really fake.
Old 09-06-04, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I fully expect a SE DVD to be released around Easter.
Old 09-06-04, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I picked up the WS version and was absolutely stunned. Truly a life-changing experience. If they should ever release an SE of any kind, I'd definately pick that up as well. Awesome, awesome film. Truthfully, there are no words to adequately describe the viewing experience but, these are the best I could think of. I'm glad to see that I am not alone in my appreciation of Mel's Offering in "re-creating" Jesus's sacrifice.

Last edited by buckee1; 09-06-04 at 02:15 PM.
Old 09-06-04, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally posted by buckee1
I picked up the WS version and was absolutely stunned. Truly a life-changing experience. If they should ever release an SE of any kind, I'd definately pick that up as well. Awesome, awesome film. Truthfully, there are no words to adequately describe the viewing experience but, these are the best I could think of. I'm glad to see that I am not alone in my appreciation of Mel's Offering and Jesus's sacrifice.
I agree, Buckee. I saw it on its opening night - and several times afterward - and saw first-hand the effect this film had on people.

God bless Mel Gibson and God bless Jim Caviezel for his incredible performance.

Last edited by CincinnatiGuy; 09-06-04 at 02:33 PM.