Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Ultimate Matrix Collection details. <- Look, no question mark.

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Ultimate Matrix Collection details. <- Look, no question mark.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I kinda like the clear case, but I can tell it's not going to last. That damned Schindlers list one was cracked, and I inspected like 10 before I found one I thought was ok. I got home and I was wrong. At least in that case I could put the actual dvd case on my shelf and put that big plastic case up top as a display item. You don't have that luxury with this Matrix one. On the other hand, the regular box set looks pretty flimsy too. The godfather case isn't that bad, but it isn't that great either.
Old 08-20-04, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally posted by Loc Nar
If I can pick up the standard set for $40 at Costco, like I did with the Alien Quad, I doubt I'll be able to lay off this. Otherwise, I'll pass.
oh, i'd definately jump on it at that price! $80 is pushing it though. hopefully it'll be closer to 50-60.
Old 08-30-04, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
The limited edition looks like shit. Worst packaging since Basic Instinct ice case or Total Recall round metal zit.

As for digipacs, I really like them. I have dozens of them and the only ones I have that have been problematic are the Quadrilogy (the plastic wasn't stuck to the cardboard good enough) and a Korean release of Equilibrium (which was smooshed in trasit to me)... every other digipac I own is awesome. Although, the digipac for this set looks kinda cheap. I'd like to see some of the US sets use the thicker cardboard digipacs with hidden magnetic closures like they use in other countries. This set is priced right though and since I only own the first film (in the snapper) and the Animatrix (purchased used off half.com), I'll surely get this set. The question is, will I get the US release or wait for the Korean release which will no doubt be amazing since these films were huge there.
Old 08-31-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They should at least put out some sort of rebate for the people who bought the first three and animatrix and revisited. $10 to 20 bucks would be great. I definitely do not want to rebuy all these over again regardless of the extras, which aren't to appealing anyway. For me, it probably will depend on the reviews and whether the content justifies my money. I was looking for extended fight scenes, deleted scenes, or a fight between the twins and Neo. Why they couldn't put that in the movie I don't know? That's what I was so hoping for when I saw Revolutions but alas it wasn't in there.
Old 09-02-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the new movie versions will be worth a double-dip for Ken Wilber's commentary alone! That should be tres cool... *Certainly* $56 at Amazon is cheap enough, even without STL! And the critic commentaries might be pretty funny too. I'm not even a big fan of sitting through most commentaries. (Spinal Tap, both versions, is one major exception.) Dunno if I'll ever wade through all of the extras though.

I too think it's funny how a few folks here gripe about "No director's cut -- no sale!" HELLO!!! If the director has enough sway and makes the movies the way he wants, then the release *is* the director's cut! What else do you want??? Added junk footage that they didn't want in the original theater release, just because it exists?? I am not understanding that mentality at all....
Old 09-02-04, 09:06 PM
Banned

Originally posted by drmoze
I too think it's funny how a few folks here gripe about "No director's cut -- no sale!" HELLO!!! If the director has enough sway and makes the movies the way he wants, then the release *is* the director's cut! What else do you want??? Added junk footage that they didn't want in the original theater release, just because it exists?? I am not understanding that mentality at all....
No, I think you misunderstand what generally happens with theatrical cuts. Most movies that eventually get a "director's cut" are generally cut down for theatrical release for two reasons, 1) running time, or 2) to avoid a higher rating, beit R, NC-17, or UR.

There are some rare examples in which the theatrical cut *is* the preferred cut of the director. Peter Jackson's LOTR Trilogy is such. The theatrical cuts are the preferred cuts of the movies by Jackson. However, Jackson "claims" that he did the Extended cuts for the fans who wanted to see more that was in the books, but not in the theatrical cuts. He didn't have to do it, but he did it because he's a fan of DVD and wanted to do it.
Old 09-06-04, 06:00 PM

To those who can't justify buying the Gift Set or even the other Gift Set with the minibust, just do what I do. Buy the damn set, and GIVE AWAY the other older releases to a good friend or family member that appreciates the gift and the movie, but would not necessarily appreciate the perfection and completeness of all these ULTIMATE sets that we buy. This is how I justify buying them.

my 2 cents.

I have my original THE MATRIX in a custom printed case, which I'm sure one of my friends will appreciate oncei upgrade =).
Old 09-06-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
No, I think you misunderstand what generally happens with theatrical cuts. Most movies that eventually get a "director's cut" are generally cut down for theatrical release for two reasons, 1) running time, or 2) to avoid a higher rating, beit R, NC-17, or UR.

There are some rare examples in which the theatrical cut *is* the preferred cut of the director. Peter Jackson's LOTR Trilogy is such. The theatrical cuts are the preferred cuts of the movies by Jackson. However, Jackson "claims" that he did the Extended cuts for the fans who wanted to see more that was in the books, but not in the theatrical cuts. He didn't have to do it, but he did it because he's a fan of DVD and wanted to do it.
Another good example is the extended cut of Léon. The so-called cut version is the director's cut. The longer version was a gift to the fans from Besson.
Old 09-06-04, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And doing the extended cuts of the LOTR films was also another way of making more millions out of the trilogy.