Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Star Wars DVD information (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-04, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak
it's fascinating how, in that widely derided 'wish-list' of changes, the original poster actually had some very minor, curious details dead on

Anakins eyebrows digitally removed?
Ian not only replaces Clive, but the dialouge is expanded?

i think there are more subtle changes in these films than we know about even at this point.
I think once all is said and done, and this release hits store shelves, I think we'll all be quite pleasantly surprised with it...changes and all.
Old 07-30-04, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by ckolchak
it's fascinating how, in that widely derided 'wish-list' of changes, the original poster actually had some very minor, curious details dead on

Anakins eyebrows digitally removed?
Ian not only replaces Clive, but the dialouge is expanded?

i think there are more subtle changes in these films than we know about even at this point.
As I said in the paragraph before the "wishlist", "I updated a few things to reflect the new changes that were made."

Here's what it the original wishlist said, before any of my changes:

ANH: 7. The shooting scene between Han and Greedo has been restored.

8. Jabba the Hutt has been given a better CGI makeover. Han no longer steps on his tail.

ESB: 1. The taun-tauns are now CGI.

10. Luke's fall from Cloud City has been reshot against bluescreen using a stuntman.

ROTJ: 2. The Rancor is now CG and he looks as disgusting as ever.

12. Sebastion Shaw who played as Anakin when he was unmasked has been replaced by Hayden Christenson in old age make-up. Anakin has much more dialogue. He apologizes for the destruction he caused, he thanks his son for turning him back to the light, he tells his son to rebuild the Jedi and he says he loves him and his sister. Just before he dies he says, "It is finished...".

SO THE ABOVE PART OF THE WISHLIST IS HOW IT ORIGINALLY APPEARED BEFORE ANYONE KNEW ABOUT THE CHANGES. I MADE SLIGHT MODIFICATIONS TO THEM TO ACCOMIDATE THE ACTUAL CHANGES MADE. STILL, THEY WERE PRETTY CLOSE GUESSES.

Oh and, the emperor thing, wow, that one was exact! How did anyone know they'd update the dialog as well?
Old 07-30-04, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
then i was mistaken.

i was taking your previous post as the original.
Old 07-30-04, 03:16 PM

It's cool. I should have made it more clear. But the thing about the emperor I didn't change.. That one was dead on! Plus all of the other changes, people knew they'd change, but just not exactly how.
Old 07-30-04, 03:21 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
It wasn't much of a guess to say they'd clean up matte lines and white boxes around sfx. That's a no-brainer.

Some of the other changes were *plausable* and others were just ridiculous.

I'm glad that Luke's scream has been removed, even if Greedo still shoots first. I saw the screen caps for that and it looks... better.

But here's a few questions to those who've seen the actual discs:

Can you still see through the solid parts of the speeders on Hoth?

Does Han still say "You're a wonderful human being to Jabba?"

Has Lucas's daughter been digitally inserted into the background at the cantina?

Is the song from the 1997 RotJ in Jabba's palace the same, with the cartoon lips and all?
Old 07-30-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jough

Is the song from the 1997 RotJ in Jabba's palace the same, with the cartoon lips and all?
Yes, it's still Jedi Rocks unfortunately. I really did prefer Lapti-Nek.
Old 07-30-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Has the horrible new DIRTY HARRY gun sound effect been removed from Leia's blaster before they do their swing in ANH?

Has the horrible new search for the droids scene in ANH been fixed or removed?

Has the horrible Jedi Rocks in Jedi been removed or fixed?

Has the horrible new wampa scene in Empire been removed?

Last edited by Lara Means; 07-30-04 at 03:35 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did they fix the dialogue that was taken out in Dagobah? something to the efffect "You are lucky you didn't taste good"
Old 07-30-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took that line as Han's scathing sarcasm.
Old 07-30-04, 04:11 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lara Means
Has the horrible new DIRTY HARRY gun sound effect been removed from Leia's blaster before they do their swing in ANH?
Well considering that the whole soundtrack is supposed to have been redone with the original sound elements (NOT just a simple remastering of the soundtrack), I'd say that those cheesey blaster rounds have been restored to accurate blaster sounds.

Sorry, that's clearly an SE scene and will stay in. Fixed? What needed fixing? Full restoration, perhaps? Done.

I kinda liked the Jedi Rocks number. The alien female dancers was a draw for me. I didn't notice much else. My eye was on the dancers.

You know, I can't but help to notice that the re-occuring appearance of the word, "horrible" in your descriptions of the changes you didn't like. How can one really answer those, objectively?
Old 07-30-04, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes!

I don't even know what scene you're talking about.

No, but it's one of my 4-5 changes I'd rather be gotten rid of and restored to the original.

Thankfully no. This is a seamless change that makes the scene even creepier. Music was kept seamles, and the cuts, while changed, are seamless as well.

Did they fix the dialogue that was taken out in Dagobah? something to the efffect "You are lucky you didn't taste good"
No, he still says "you were lucky to get out of there." Harmless change. It wasn't needed and the other line is better, but this change is seamless as well and the delivery of this line is so natural, you would never have guessed it wasn't always in the film. But us movie nuts can spot these little things.

Yes!

Can you still see through the solid parts of the speeders on Hoth?
No, that was pretty much fixed in the SE though. At the very least, it's much improved over the original.

Has Lucas's daughter been digitally inserted into the background at the cantina?
No!

Last edited by Terrell; 07-30-04 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-30-04, 07:19 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Snowmaker
But this info thread is nothing BUT the changes. I haven't seen anything else discussed in here.
This thread is just to discuss what's being added, as in what's been confirmed, what's just rumored etc.

Opinions on the changes should be in this thread:

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread....hreadid=377413

The idea is to keep arguments in that thread, so this thread can stay open and be an info source for those that want to know what's on the DVD without skimming over arguments among fans and bashers of Lucas.
Old 07-30-04, 08:11 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by bboisvert

Here's the ADDITIONAL changes that'll be on the new 2004 DVDs:

Episode IV: A New Hope
* Greedo still shoots first, but the scene has been altered to improve it (can someone point me to more information?)
Are these confirmed changes or just rumours? Sorry if this has been covered, but I haven't been reading these threads regularly, and you didn't cite a source for this particular item.
Old 07-30-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Blade
Are these confirmed changes or just rumours? Sorry if this has been covered, but I haven't been reading these threads regularly, and you didn't cite a source for this particular item.
I'm wait for someone to provide me with a source... any takers?

I'm trying to include only "confirmed" stuff in my post on the first page, not any rumors. I know that there was some guy on the MF forum that was extremely credible and he said something vague about the scene being the same, but "playing better" now. I'm not quite sure what he was getting at, other than the scene had been fixed in some way so it looks more natural.

Someone mentioned screen shots... any links?

Feel free to let me know if anything is missing from my post too... I think I have pretty much everything (although I have to replace the pictures every now and then as some of the links die. )
Old 07-30-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know if this is it. I just got this from here:

http://www.ugo.com/channels/filmTv/c...rticleID=11317
Old 07-30-04, 09:14 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Kal-El

Yeesh, I can't tell if these are for real or not.
Old 07-30-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Those are April Fool's Jokes with commentary by a Lucas imitator.
Old 07-30-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Originally posted by Kal-El

You've been duped! That is NOT the voice of George Lucas! Those aren't clips from the new DVDs either...
Old 07-30-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

something I would like to see that has not been discussed are the deleted scenes from all 3 movies.

Star Wars: the Biggs Darklighter and Toshi Station Scenes (which can be sceen in the Behind The Magic CD rom

Empire: All that Stuff ith the Wampas

Jedi : The sandstorm scene and the scene where Vader chokes out the Royal Guard.

I'd love to see these and other deleted scenes either in the film or on the bonus disc, but it probably wont happen.
Old 07-31-04, 12:16 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by cactusoly
Jedi : The sandstorm scene and the scene where Vader chokes out the Royal Guard.
The sand-storm scene will probably not surface, because the way that it was shot - with all the sand blowing - made any footage shot just about useless. They were thinking about it for the 97 rerelease, but decided that it was just too un-usable.

As an extra - well, who knows. But certainly not back into the film, I'd wager.
Old 07-31-04, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Rumor has it that Han and Greedo now shoot at more or less the same time, instead of the "Greedo shoots first" from the 97 SE. Time will tell, I guess. At least it's a slight improvement.

Han calling Jabba a "wonderful human being" in the Jabba scene is about the only good thing about it. Otherwise, it only rehashes what we already know from the Greedo exchange. Still sort of baffling why this "deleted scene" was reincluded, while the more meaningful Luke/Biggs scenes weren't. (Biggs is already named early in the movie, and we later see him die during the attack on the Death Star.)
Old 07-31-04, 03:12 AM
Premium Member

Received 690 Likes on 462 Posts
Not sure what was filmed for Biggs, but from reading the books, I would love to see more of this part of Luke growing up (along with the other friends from the book).
Old 07-31-04, 03:13 AM

Don't forget, the 30th anniversery of a certain movie is coming up in 2007. Don't think this is the last treatment of these movies that we will ever see on DVD. I think the deleted scenes mentioned above will surface someday. Here is a cool site that goes into great detail on scenes left on the cutting room floor.

http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/cut_scenes/ep4/
Old 07-31-04, 11:06 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I think the Jabba scene was included in the 1997 version so that there'd be a new scene in ANH. That's it. Unseen footage - a reason for people to go see these again.

Now the animation's been fixed - hopefully it won't look like Han is talking to a cartoon - but again, the scene is superfluous.

How many years passed between ANH and RotJ? Shouldn't Jabba look nearly like he does in RotJ? I mean, have even ten years passed between ANH and the end of the trilogy?
Old 07-31-04, 01:03 PM
Banned

How many years passed between ANH and RotJ? Shouldn't Jabba look nearly like he does in RotJ? I mean, have even ten years passed between ANH and the end of the trilogy?
I think it was 6 years.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.