Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Needed : Sticky thread listing "ordinary" DVDs which are OOP and valuable

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Needed : Sticky thread listing "ordinary" DVDs which are OOP and valuable

Old 07-06-06, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Color me clueless but what's so special about that version of Terminator 2: Judgement Day?
Old 07-06-06, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So Xage, you don't even watch your oop stuff? It looks like they all still have shrinkwrap on them. Where is the fun in that, unless you plan to ebay them.
Old 07-06-06, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up Phantasm SE the other day at a pawn shop for $5 - going for decent money, $20+ - same place I snagged Plunkett and Macleane a few weeks ago, that one is starting at $50.
Old 07-07-06, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Eric D.
So Xage, you don't even watch your oop stuff? It looks like they all still have shrinkwrap on them. Where is the fun in that, unless you plan to ebay them.
Already watch 2 of them

Exit To Eden

Went to see Dana Delany's boobs being buttered and sucked, plus the quick flash of her bush during the swimming pool sequence. Deymm I got disapointed with the S&M leathered Rosey O Donnell

Swampthing

Finally saw what the buzz why it was recalled. 1st, was the The Adrienne Barbeau boob spread and bathing at the lake. The 2nd was the multiple showing of boobs and at one part a scene where a boob got sucked. For a PG rating.. hehehe no wonder why it was recalled.
Old 07-07-06, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What about The Little Rascals DTS? Thatīs a very rare and expensive OOP.
Old 07-07-06, 08:09 PM

It would be nice if the OP was updated please.
Old 07-07-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hiccup
It would be, yes, but he abandoned up-dating that first page looong ago. Unless, he cares to revisit. Many of us woudl be intersted. So much has changed since then.

I can offer to add more recent common discoveries that are OOP be and worth some $:

The Quiet Man, from Artisan

Harrison's Flowers, from Universal (though I think it is pretty low).

Was Live Flesh from MGM World Films already mentioned? For that matter all of Pedro Almodovar's films are OOP. Flower of My Secret and All About My Mother are slowly rising in prices as they become scarce at stores. This is crazy, seeing as he is on the verge of releasing his new movie to U.S. audiences.

Also, recently OOP is Fantastic Voyage/Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, a Fox double feature.

That's all I noticed in recent weeks. Oh, I actually sold a couple of brand new Clockwork Orange DVDs for about $40. It's OOP, but a better reissue is set to be released by Warner, though still no confirmed date, hence the price.
Old 07-07-06, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been tempted to start a part two to this thread so that it can stay updated. If not me, I really wish someone would do just that. The OP hasn't been something that you can actually go by for months and months.

EDIT:

Holy cow, I knew that it's been a long time since the last update but I didn't know it was this long ago:

06-25-05 at 09:41 AM
Old 07-08-06, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by hiccup
Yes, it would be - feel free to take over, I said this a long time ago - you can copy-and-paste it to another thread.

I have been just a bit busy since my divorce with little details like working 6 nights a week so I can make my mortgage payment, etc.
Old 07-08-06, 10:16 AM

I am not nominating myself to take over this thread, but I will update it whenever I hear of something good.

I've never been one to buy (Special, Limited, Super-Duper) Editions of films, and I don't really understand why people shell out big $$$ for things like the James Bond movies, which never really go OOP but rather are temporaily mothballed to artificially inflate demand.

Anyway, I mentioned in another thread that Bound has gone OOP.

I believe that Criterion's The Third Man is being OOP'd (although it's not tagged yet on their website) and yet not announced for re-release (as were Amarcord and Brazil). Perhaps it's just the "50th Anniversary" version? This bears watching.

If you are a Christopher Guest fan, snag yourself a copy of The Big Picture (very funny and OOP).

If you like Woody Allen, grab Everyone Says I Love You, which is a dicey re-release b/c of the whole Disney / Miramax mess (not to mention the fact that it's Woody's only musical).

Lastly, two great Paul Newman films, The Verdict and The Hustler are OOP. They are avaiable in The Films Of Paul Newman Box Set (under $25). Included in the box is the old SE for Butch Cassidy, which was just re-released (again!). But the other two are unavailble right now.

Edited to add: I just realised that the criteria for this list is for discs that are CURRENTLY valuable, where as mine are more speculative for down the road. Sorry.

But I will add that Dario Argento's Inferno (which has been OOP for all of about 5 minutes) is already getting 40-50 dollars you-know-where.

Last edited by kintnerboy; 07-08-06 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-08-06, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here is a recent list I came up (from the first page) with of some that get a decent amount, some may not on ebay right now.

A SIMPLE WISH
A TAXING WOMAN
ALICE, SWEET ALICE
ALMOST FAMOUS: UNTITLED BOOTLEG EDITION
ANIMAL INSTINCTS
ARMY OF DARKNESS LE
BARFLY
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (DISNEY)
BLUE COLLAR
BRIDE OF RE-ANIMATOR DVD - PIONEER VERSION
CITY COPS
CONDORMAN
DARIO ARGENTO COLLECTION VOL 3 -TENEBRE
DR GIGGLES
EXIT TO EDEN
FANTASIA ANTHOLOGY
FLASH GORDON
FLETCH
FM (just purchased 2 of these for $3.99 each today)
FRANKENHOOKER
FRIEND OF THE FAMILY
G.I. JOE THE MOVIE
GET A LIFE VOL. 1
GET A LIFE VOL. 2
GET A LIFE VOL. 3
GET A LIFE VOL. 4
GLEAMING THE CUBE
HALLOWEEN 5 LIMITED EDITION TIN
I’M NO ANGEL
JOURNEY TO THE FAR SIDE OF THE SUN
KEVIN JAMES: SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF
KISS MEETS THE PHANTOM OF THE PARK
LAST DAYS OF DISCO
LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
MATINEE
MEATBALLS
MUNICH 2 DISC COLLECTOR’S EDITION
MY SO CALLED LIFE BOXSET
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE BEGINNING OF THE END
MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOVIE
ODD MAN OUT
PANTHER
PHANTASM
PLUNKETT & MACLEANE
PUPPET MASTER 5
PUPPET MASTER BOX SET
QUATERMASS AND THE PIT
REVENGE OF THE NERDS 1 & 2
SALO: CRITERION COLLECTION
SALON KITTY LE 2 DISC-SET
SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION TWO DISC SE
SHORT 5
SLEEPING BEAUTY (DISNEY)
SLEUTH
SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS (DISNEY)
SPLIT SECOND (RUTGER HAUER)
STILL BREATHING
SUPERGIRL 2-DISC LE
SUSPIRIA LE
TAMPOPO
THAT'S LIFE
THE BEATLES HELP!
THE BEST OF THE WONDER YEARS
THE CAT AND THE CANARY (BOB HOPE)
THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE, AND HER LOVER
THE DAYTRIPPERS
THE DICEMAN COMETH
THE GAY DECEIVERS
THE HI-LO COUNTRY
THE IPCRESS FILE
THE RED DESERT
THE YELLOW SUBMARINE (BEATLES)
TOOL - SALIVAL
TRANSFORMERS - THE MOVIE
TWO LANE BLACKTOP
WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
WONDER YEARS: CHRISTMAS WONDER YEARS
WRESTLEMANIA 2000
WUTHERING HEIGHTS (HBO HOME VIDEO - OLIVIER, OBERON)
WWF JUDGMENT DAY 2002

Last edited by Bill Geiger; 07-08-06 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-08-06, 08:18 PM

Big Lebowski Acheiver's Edition gift set seems to go for more than it's orginal price too. Seen it sell between $60-$80.
Old 07-08-06, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bill Geiger
FM (just purchased 2 of these for $3.99 each today)
...which is an Anchor Bay title known to go dead over time. Hope your two copies work!
Old 07-08-06, 09:08 PM
Banned

Two things:

"Parents" was just released as a double feature with "Fear" (not the Wahlberg/Witherspoon version), and was at Wal Mart for $5.50. YMMV

I've got a copy of the MST3K movie for $100/shipped if anyone's interested. Seems nobody on eBay wanted it.
Old 07-08-06, 09:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by man*machine
...which is an Anchor Bay title known to go dead over time. Hope your two copies work!

It seems that the ones that were produced on gold disc DVDs have outlasted the the silver disc ones..
Old 07-08-06, 09:37 PM
Banned

HOWARD'S END
This one was recently re-released and has no value on ebay or amazon anymore.
Old 07-08-06, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by C_Fletch
Color me clueless but what's so special about that version of Terminator 2: Judgement Day?
Absolutely nothing as far as I'm aware. It's certainly OOP, but that's mainly because it has been VASTLY surpassed (both in terms of picture quality and extras) by new editions.

I suppose someone collecting all things T2 would want it... but it's not worth anything. I see this one in used bins all the time for dirt cheap. Seems to be a pretty common find at EB Games and the like.

It's funny reading this thread and seeing things that I didn't know were worth anything. I've got about half a dozen from Bill's list that I own, without even realizing they were OOP, let alone 'valuable'.

Off-topic, but this really has me in the mood to watch Swamp Thing now. Maybe later in the weekend...
Old 07-08-06, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by man*machine
Yup!
Old 07-08-06, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bboisvert
Absolutely nothing as far as I'm aware. It's certainly OOP, but that's mainly because it has been VASTLY surpassed (both in terms of picture quality and extras) by new editions.

I suppose someone collecting all things T2 would want it... but it's not worth anything. I see this one in used bins all the time for dirt cheap. Seems to be a pretty common find at EB Games and the like.

It's funny reading this thread and seeing things that I didn't know were worth anything. I've got about half a dozen from Bill's list that I own, without even realizing they were OOP, let alone 'valuable'.

Off-topic, but this really has me in the mood to watch Swamp Thing now. Maybe later in the weekend...
I sold a metal tin T2 Extreme here on the exchange forum about 2 years or so ago for $30.00. It could still be purchased at that time for like 7 bucks!
Old 07-09-06, 02:22 AM

There's a nice site here that is only about rare/oop dvd's. Not a lot of people in the forums, but there's good discussions going on.
Old 07-09-06, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Thanks for that list Bill. I had no idea that some of those movies were so valuable also.
Old 07-09-06, 05:36 PM

I just got $76 for my copy of "1984."
That's the most I've ever recieved at auction for a single DVD.

Runners up are:
"I Saw What You Did and I Know Who You Are!," ($66)
"Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown" ($61)
"The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover" ($51)
Old 07-10-06, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Here are some titles that are getting a decent price on Ebay and haven't seen mentioned in this thread...

- Shadowlands (Anthony Hopkins, Debra Winger)
- Jaded (Carla Gugino)
- House of the Spirits
Old 07-13-06, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just Googled after a bunch of the so called "rare and valuable" titles listed in this thread. It seem a lot them have gone down in value. An example: Liquid Sky and be picked up for around $ 50.00 now whereas it has been seen up to $200.00 or more.

I guess, it all depends on how many used titles that are available or if a re-issued are on the way. These rare title elevates up and down in prices quite a bid. So, one really has know what they are worth at a given moment.
Old 07-13-06, 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dane
It seem a lot them have gone down in value. An example: Liquid Sky and be picked up for around $ 50.00 now whereas it has been seen up to $200.00 or more.
Well, in the case of "LIQUID SKY" - the value going down has to deal with a bootleg operation (JEF Films?) who fraudulently copied and issued their own version as if it was the same legit release. The market got flooded with the bootleg version and the value of the authentic release went down. As always, buyer beware.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.