Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Needed : Sticky thread listing "ordinary" DVDs which are OOP and valuable

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-04, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needed : Sticky thread listing "ordinary" DVDs which are OOP and valuable

I am not talking about criterions and rare imports, or other obvious collectibles such as Disney tins, but rather rare OOP dvds of ordinary movies which you might see everyday in places where used DVDs are sold.

An example is "The Karate Kid" - after seeing Garolo mention that it was OOP and he found a copy at Gamestop for $9, I did a little research and found it is pretty valuable, selling on eBay for upwards of $30 and amazon marketplace for $45 and up. Yesterday, I found a mint copy at CD Warehouse for $9.99 myself. Now this is the kind of DVD I would normally not have bought, being bare bones, full screen, and Dolby stereo surround. (I have since sold it to dvds123.com for $31.60 - note that it is no longer valuable sine the whole series was re-released, this was an old post).

I have started a list of such DVDs which I will keep updated as best I can, though I will not normally update the prices so the prices shown will probably be way out of date - do your own research at amazon or eBay before buying these, as prices fluctutate a lot.

Here is the list from Hometheaterinfo.com that was linked by DrJay a few posts down:

OOP DVDs

Here is the list so far, with the lowest mint cond used/sealed prices at amazon marketplace, min~$20 (just as a reference point, this is not intended as a definitive price guide - eBay is usually a little lower at auction, sometimes a lot.)

Note - with a couple exceptions, this list only includes what I would say are popular non-Disney movies or older films with well-known actors - there are a couple of obscure movies with mainstream actors/directors. US releases unless otherwise marked.
I give dvds123.com prices where I feel they are pertinent (haven't looked all of them up).

Army of Darkness 2-disc SE?/LE? (Anchor Bay) $69 / $90 (Dvds123 - $37)
Ball of Fire (Gary Cooper) $40 (import?), US $70 / $160
The Beatles - Help! $90 / $150 (US), imports $30 / $40
Best of the Blues Brothers (1993 - United American Video) $60 used, no new (dvds123 - $15)
Big Trouble in Little China (2-disc) $30 / $40
Blues Brothers CE $52 / $57
Body Bags (Tobe Hooper) $27 (1 copy) others $70 / $79
Bond films (scheduled for re-release in 10/2005, so don't hold too long):
---Diamonds are Forever $22 / $24
---For Your Eyes Only $20 / $25
---From Russia with Love $21 / $23
---Live and Let Die $25 / $30
---Octopussy $25 / $30
---On Her Majesty's Secret Service $40 / $60
---Thunderball $40 / $60
---A View to a Kill $25 / $30
---You Only Live Twice $20 / $25
Brazil (1 disc) $19 / $23
The Bride of Re-Animator (Pioneer) $50 / $90
The Car (James Brolin) $55 new (dvds123 - $26.40)
Cowboy Bebop Perfect Sessions LE 6-disc boxset+CD US R1 release $400 used, none new
Creature from the Black Lagoon $34 / $55
Dances with Wolves DTS $20 / $50
*Dawn of the Dead CE : Original Dir Cut (Anchor Bay)
*Dawn of the Dead : US Theatrical Release (Anchor Bay)
Dead Ringers $36 new
Donnie Brasco (non-SE, Jewel case) $25 / $40
Double Indemnity $73 / $101
Dr Giggles $38 used/ none new
Dracula (1979 Langella, Olivier - Image release only) - $35 / $47
Dracula Prince of Darkness R1 $20, all-region $50 (Anchor Bay)
Dune (1984 - jewel case version) $30 used
Flash Gordon $50 / $90 (US), $54 (Brazil)
Fletch $27.50 / $30
Forgotten Silver $65 used (no new) - being rereleased in Oct
Funeral in Berlin $73 / $98
Gleaming the Cube (2002) $27 / $62
Gleaming the Cube (Pioneer - 1999) $50 / $95
Halloween - Restored Limited edition $35 / $70 (DVDs123 - $26.40)
Howard's End (Columbia/Tri-star) $18 used
The Hurricane (Dorothy Lamour) $39 (import), US $80 / $110
Incredible Adventures of Wallace & Gromit - $70 / $75
The Jazz Singer (Neil Diamond) $59 / $110
Jean de Florette (Gerard DePardieau) $46 / $75
Joe Gould's Secret $35 / $37
Journey to the Far Side of the Sun $80 / $165
Kevin James - Sweat the Small Stuff $45 / $80
Last Days of Disco $70 used, no new
Last Year at Marienbad $99 used, eBay $53 - $70
Liquid Sky $150 / $200
Maniac Cop (Elite) $42 used, no new
Manon of the Spring $45 / $70
Matinee $32 / $53
Mts Doubtfire $30 / $35
MST 3K $150 / $395
Muppet Movie $40 / $45
Muppet Caper, The Great $50 / $55
Nadja $70 / $118
Parents (Randy Quaid) $50 / $80
Patton (2-disc) $30 / $40
Peter Pan (Goodtimes video) Mary Martin - $240 used
Plunkett & Macleane $32 / $35 (dvds123 - $17.50)
**Portait of Jennie
Prom Night (Anchor Bay) $49 used, no new
Puppet Master Box Set - eBay $200-250 used, no sealed found (dvds123 - $158)
Rabid Dogs - no reference available, asking $107 at eBay
The Red Desert $150 / $500
Return of the Pink Panther $44 / $100 (dvds123 - $33)
Rocky Horror (2 disc) $33 / $50
Romper Stomper (Russell Crowe, 2-disc) $23 / $53 (?)
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (1947) $130 new, no used
Short 5 - Diversity (Vin Diesel) $45 / $106
Short Circuit SE $40 used / $40 new
A Shot in the Dark $27 / $30
A Simple Wish $48 new, no used (dvds123 - $25.80)
Split Second (Rutger Hauer) $150 / $275 (dvds123 - $76.90)
Swamp Thing $54 / $94
Take the Money and Run (Anchor Bay) $22 / $27 (dvs123 - $17)
Tampopo $100 new
That's Life $38 new
This Island Earth $175 / $290
Thursday $125 / $300
Tiger Bay $48 sealed
To Kill a Mockingbird $37 / $41
Topsy-Turvy $44 / $93
Trees Lounge (Buscemi - Pioneer version) $26 (ebay) dvds123 - $15
The Twelve Chairs (Mel Brooks) $100 used
Ultimate Toy Box (Toy Story 1 + 2 + bonus disc) - $85 / $160
Wallace & Gromit
----The Incredible Adventures of - $70 / $75
----The First Three Adventures - $70 / $75
Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown $30 new
Wuthering Heights (HBO Home video - Olivier, Oberon) $65 in vg cond.
WWF Judgment Day 2002 ~$50 at eBay
Wrestlemania:
---Attitude : Best of 1-14 $25 / $35
---2000(XVI) / History 2-discs $70 / $90
---X-7 / X-8 (2-pack) $70 new
---X-8 (Icon vs Icon) $30 / $40
---X-7 (Houston we have a problem) $69

* - Since the Ultimate Edition came out, it is hard to judge the price - some listed on Amazon are low, some are high, best to do your own research. Dir Cut seems down more due to the upcoming rerelease of a new DC 10/21.

**Portrait of Jennie - being rereleased but still holds some value, $54 new at Amazon, $30 used/ $34 new on eBay, 1st printing priced higher at amazon marketplace $124 but probably not reliable since some of their sellers seem to be "fishing".

Last edited by NCYankee; 06-25-05 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Swamp Thing....was pulled because it featured the Intl cut which featured some boobies. The US cut is being released soon on DVD, so not sure how that will effect its value.

Outside of that, everything else I can think of that was valuable at one time isnt really now because of rereleases (Weird Science, Animal House, Firestarter, Scarface, Dances With Wolves, etc).
Old 07-29-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Raging Bull is an OOP that is a very bad release, but still OOP.

http://www.hometheaterinfo.com/disconti.htm

Last edited by drjay; 07-29-04 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
FLASH GORDON is OOP, and is still often getting $30 -$50 on eBay.
Old 07-29-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dr jay

Thanks for the list - that is a good reference point, and if we can filter out the DVDs that are just OOP and not really rare, we would have a great resource for collectors and bargain hunters.

I picked up Conan the Barbarian CE today for $4 (near mint, minor scuffs on label side) - though it is OOP it is not really rare, going for $9 at amazon marketplace - but I got a good deal and the movie is fun. If it goes up in value later, all the better.

Heck, if a Mod will make this thread sticky I will update the first post with vaulable DVDs.

Last edited by NCYankee; 07-29-04 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie' comes to mind.

There's also a Lubitsch movie (one of the few available on DVD) which is out of print which gets a decent price, 'The Marriage Circle'. I feel like that could pop up somewhere if a place didn't realize what it was.

Most of the others I can think of are Criterion (and I assume 'Rabid Dogs' would count as "too obscure") ... I mean, I guess you could keep an eye out for the recalled 'Little Shop of Horrors', but I wouldn't expect it to pop up anywhere.

I'm curious to watch this list mount up, I definitely vote for "sticky" (with the slight nagging voice in my head saying "This is going to be a list people use to bilk other people out of more money").

Oh, 'Forgotten Silver' sells at a ridiculously high price. If my collection hadn't been stolen, I would've sold off my copy, since they're re-releasing it anyway, but that should be on the list for the time being.

Does 'Halloween III' still sell for absurd (for what it is) prices? I seem to remember that going for high 20s/low 30s just because it was "OOP".

Good thing to browse bins for: the original 'The Devil's Advocate', which was limited to something like 400,000 printings (may be way off on that #), because they were sued for copyright violation. The OOP version has the catalog number 15090 on the spine and on the disc. The re-release, currently in print, has 16172.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 07-29-04 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 02:51 PM
Cool New Member

heres a thread done a couple of weeks ago regauding valuable dvds.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=valuable+dvds
Old 07-29-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey! I'm the "other poster" mentioned (now all I need is to be quoted in someone's sig ).

I too would love to see either a running thread stickyed. Maybe it would be more apropo in Bargains? While the hometheaterinfo pages are useful, I'd like to see a list with the going prices as well and if there is an upcoming rerelease scheduled.
Old 07-29-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by garolo
Hey! I'm the "other poster" mentioned (now all I need is to be quoted in someone's sig ).

I too would love to see either a running thread stickyed. Maybe it would be more apropo in Bargains? While the hometheaterinfo pages are useful, I'd like to see a list with the going prices as well and if there is an upcoming rerelease scheduled.
There - I changed the first post, are you happy now

I think it is better here than in "Bargains", since we are listing collectible value not an available bargain price.
Old 07-29-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ThatGuamGuy
Does 'Halloween III' still sell for absurd (for what it is) prices? I seem to remember that going for high 20s/low 30s just because it was "OOP".
No - I see at amazon marketplace, the out of stock version (I assume the OOP one you are referring to) goes for $5, while the in-stock one goes for $9 used.

Amazon.com
Old 07-29-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Needed : Sticky thread listing "ordinary" DVDs which are OOP and valuable

Originally posted by NCYankee

MST 3K $150 / $395 !!
Woohoo! I'm winning!

No - I see at amazon marketplace, the out of stock version (I assume the OOP one you are referring to) goes for $5, while the in-stock one goes for $9 used.
I think it came back in print or something; no idea, as I pay no attention to the movie. I just remember that, when I was trying to get the 'Halloween' limited edition [which, actually, sells at a decent price because it's a different transfer, better cover, and has the alternate cut], I kept seeing 'Halloween 3' at more than seemed logical. Glad the market took care of itself there.

What about Disney movies? Plenty of OOP stuff there, 'Tarzan' CE (and regular), 'Beauty and the Beast' and 'Snow White' Platinums, 'Emporer's New Groove' UE (and regular, I think) ... there are others, I'm sure somebody more into Disney than I could give you either a list or a link.

Maybe this is just my opinion, but:
Forgotten Silver $100 used (no new)
I think you should specify that Anchor Bay has announced that they'll be releasing a new version which has, at least, all the old stuff. It's briefly a good investment if you find it, but it's not worth tracking down in the hope that it'll get *more* expensive.

Oh, okay, I also just remember the Fox two-disc releases ... and it gets a bit tricky there, as several of those are supposedly still in print, but only at Best Buy. For instance, "Fight Club", "The Abyss", "The Sound of Music". The two-disc "Big Trouble in Little China" is still OOP, though. I've seen that pop up in bins from time to time. I think there's also a two-disc "Rocky Horror Picture Show" which is OOP (replaced by a one-disc). I can't think of anymore of these off-hand, but I'm pretty sure there are others.

FYI, for 'The Devil's Advocate' at Amazon, check under "used" then "collectible", but ignore the first one; the others are the ones specifically selling the OOP unaltered version.

Last edited by ThatGuamGuy; 07-29-04 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cool thanks - I'll look all those up later, gotta go to work now.

I wasn't really thinking of Disney movies, since pretty much anyone who knows DVDs knows they are limited runs and go up in value.

Last edited by NCYankee; 07-29-04 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-29-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just went to E-bay and put in 'OOP DVD' ... this is *not* a full list, not even close, but I browsed it to find ones which were (a) high prices, (b) getting bid on, (c) not about to be re-released [eliminating the Time-Warner 'Ren and Stimpy' collection; don't need to list that, IMO], and (d) not "limited" for obvious reasons [I'm not gonna list tins, or even stuff like the 2-disc 'Bad Taste' ... unless, I suppose, somebody wants that on the list too]

but here's a rough list of ones which people were bidding $20 or more on:
'Fletch'
'Toy Story' / 'Toy Story 2' / 'Toy Story/Toy Story 2: Ultimate Toy Box'
'Dracula' w/Frank Langella and Laurence Olivier
'The Pit and the Pendulum' [dir: Stuart Gordon]
'Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown'
'Clownhouse' [I don't think this was ever released; if it was, it was very quickly recalled]
'Body Bags'
'Chariots of Fire'
quite a few Bond films [which will all be released next year, I think]
'Help!'
'Jingle All The Way' [yep, really]
'Frankenhooker'
'The Blues Brothers'

maybe 'The Daytrippers' as well; one guy is trying to get $60 for it, and I can't imagine he randomly chose that figure (though it's possible).
Old 07-29-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by NCYankee
There - I changed the first post, are you happy now

I think it is better here than in "Bargains", since we are listing collectible value not an available bargain price.
I didn't mean for you to specifically name me. It just that I was surprised that I was the impetus for this thread.

But thanks! Now I just have to come up with something pithy so some one will quote me in their signature.
Old 07-29-04, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's been a while since I checked values on these (April 2003 values will be given, averaged from ebay highs/lows and Amazon sellers), but here's a list I have:

"Ball of Fire" $100
"This Island Earth" $86
"The Jazz Singer" $65
"For Your Eyes Only" $62
"Fire Over England" $56
"The Hurricane" (Dorothy Lamour) $55
"Double Indemnity" $41
"Moonraker" $38
"Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" $30
"Tiger Bay" $25
"Cat and the Canary" (1979) $9 (but now around $35)
Old 07-29-04, 05:27 PM

Instead of trying to maintain a thread (titles come back in print, prices fluctuate), I would suggest that folks just do what was mentioned above and search ebay DVDs using the phrase "OOP" with a high dollar price range.
Old 07-29-04, 05:56 PM

Those MST3K prices are way out of line. I sold mine for something like $75 a while back, and an ebay search of completed auctions reveals that this is still about what you can expect for it.

As for other valuable DVDs:

Black Rain (the B&W Japanese film)
Condorman
Old 07-29-04, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
$250 and up for a sealed Puppet Master box set...long OOP. I have that one. someone offered me over $200 for it. I told him to blow.

Rabid Dogs from Mario Bava goes anywhere from $65 to $150. got that too.
Old 07-30-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by icruise
Those MST3K prices are way out of line. I sold mine for something like $75 a while back, and an ebay search of completed auctions reveals that this is still about what you can expect for it.

As for other valuable DVDs:

Black Rain (the B&W Japanese film)
Condorman
As I said, those were from amazon marketplace, where it is a little easier to look up (I was pressed for time earlier today). I will do better research when I have more time - I was just trying to get an idea which ones are truly rare.
Old 07-30-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by n.phelge
Instead of trying to maintain a thread (titles come back in print, prices fluctuate), I would suggest that folks just do what was mentioned above and search ebay DVDs using the phrase "OOP" with a high dollar price range.
Except that not many of the listings say OOP, or out of print - some but not all say rare.

Look at the three completed auctions currently for MST 3K - one says OOP, one says out of print, one doesn't say anything about its rarity - I guess he is assuming that if you are looking for it, you know.

Of the current Karate Kid listings I pulled up, almost none said anything along those lines.

Anyways, just searching completed items for over $30 returns 810 listings - most of them Disney stuff, which is not what I am shooting for here.

Last edited by NCYankee; 07-30-04 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-30-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
ncy, since you started this thread, are you going to consolidate all the titles into your first post so it is easier?
Old 07-30-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes - like I said earlier I had to work (just got back). Doing some work on my car then trying to wind down for bed.

If you noticed, I was adding them as the thread progressed until I had to leave.

Last edited by NCYankee; 07-30-04 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-30-04, 02:53 AM

Here's a few:

FUNERAL IN BERLIN
JOE GOULD'S SECRET
MATINEE
NADJA
PLUNKETT AND MACLEANE
PORTRAIT OF JENNIE
PROM NIGHT
A SIMPLE WISH
THAT'S LIFE
Old 07-30-04, 10:41 AM

Couple more:

JEAN DE FLORETTE
MANON OF THE SPRING
Old 07-30-04, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by icruise
But that's the whole thing with Amazon's marketplace; the fixed prices can work to your advantage (a lot of cheap stuff winds up uber-cheap) or it can reveal a price you'd never ever pay (a lot of expensive stuff winds up uber-expensive).

I do think that, if we're serious about this thread, possibly a disclaimer should be listed above/below the price part, lest people use it as a price guide.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.