Search this Thread

Old 10-10-04, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GF is old news...im done there...
Old 10-10-04, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For anyone still holding on to hope for Guzzlefish but are ready to explore alternatives, I definitely recommend looking into DVD Spot. It has some of the stats that are always brought up as one of the main reasons people have stayed with them this whole time.
Old 10-11-04, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I'm ready to give up on guzzlefish as well. I liked the idea of accessing my CDs along with my DVDs. Anybody know of an online music organizer site?
Old 10-11-04, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I too am interested in a database that allows you to catalog your CDs. Anyone know about a good one?

I too am considering switching from Guzzlefish to a site that offers some great stats. But does DVD Spot give you stats on all the genres, sub-genres and sub-sub genres Guzzlefish does? I also like the stats they have on actors. If so, I'd switch because I'm frustrated with Guzzlefish, as well.
Old 10-11-04, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I ditched GF for DVDAf. Although I miss GF and will have fond memories of it, it's time to move on
Old 10-11-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
GF is so hopelessly behind that I will never go back. I would virtually have to start over. That and the "the update is right around the corner" baloney for the last 6 months. Some releases out for nearly a year are not in there. Buh-bye.
Old 10-11-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm using DVDSpot now. Its not the easiest to input but I'm about half-way there.
Old 10-11-04, 05:35 PM

i continue to add titles to my guzzlefish list as i buy them as long as they are already listed in the database (ie: older releases i usually get 2 for $15 or $20). in the meantime i also started up a dvdspot list in case GF never gets up and running again. since i'm not totally fond of dvdspot's layout and features, if/when GF comes back i'll fully update my list there and get rid of the dvdspot list. if not, i have dvdspot so its not really a big deal.
Old 10-11-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've stopped tracking on Guzzlefish and gone to DVD Spot. It's a much better system.
Old 10-11-04, 07:33 PM

I've ditched GF for DVD Spot. The site is great, and the owner is constantly working on improvements.
Old 10-11-04, 09:33 PM

Originally posted by SLeopold
I've ditched GF for DVD Spot. The site is great, and the owner is constantly working on improvements.
actually, now that i think about it, i would be a bigger fan of dvdspot if you could organize your collection to display on one page, without cover thumbnails, as GF does. as it stands now, my collection is split up over 8 pages and it was a pain in the ass to go through my collection a while back checking if i had all my titles listed.

** if there is a place to customize your collection listing to display similar to GF and i just haven't looked in the right place, someone let me know. all i know is when i tried to find a way to change it i couldn't find anything.

Last edited by WestEndRiot; 10-11-04 at 09:39 PM.
Old 10-11-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe Croy, the owner, is going to make a print all feature in the future. He is very receptive to any and all feedback in their forum and is constantly taking suggestions to add in the future (the addition of genre stats is one).

The inputing of titles is easiest if one can create a csv file of titles. I was able to input my small collection of ~150 titles in less than a half hour (can't recall a more specific length as it has been a couple of months). That functions the same as DVDAf's quick import.

If one doesn't have easy access to a csv file with their titles I would recommend just copy and pasting your titles and create your own csv or txt file and then import that rather than adding one title at a time.

http://www.dvdspot.com/import.php
Old 10-11-04, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by WestEndRiot
actually, now that i think about it, i would be a bigger fan of dvdspot if you could organize your collection to display on one page, without cover thumbnails, as GF does. as it stands now, my collection is split up over 8 pages and it was a pain in the ass to go through my collection a while back checking if i had all my titles listed.

** if there is a place to customize your collection listing to display similar to GF and i just haven't looked in the right place, someone let me know. all i know is when i tried to find a way to change it i couldn't find anything.
I don't think there's a way to do that yet, but the guy who runs DVDSpot is very responsive to questions. Ask about it in the forum over there and he'll most likely either tell you how to do it or implement in a later update of the site.
Old 10-14-04, 04:40 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
DVD Spot is the most actively developed DVD DB at this time. It's updated almost daily and the owner/developer responds to posts on the DVD Spot forums all the time.

It's not as easy to use as DVD AF (love that "Quick Import" feature) but it's not bad.
Old 10-14-04, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jough
DVD Spot is the most actively developed DVD DB at this time. It's updated almost daily and the owner/developer responds to posts on the DVD Spot forums all the time.
I agree. Every movie I have purschased this past month has been on DVDSpot. No luck on Guzzlefish.