Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Clearing out your old titles... thoughts?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-04, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I assume there are two types of DVD collectors: those who keep every disc they ever buy, and those who are constantly cleaning out what they don't watch. I'm not saying one way is better than the other, of course.

I've been selling a lot of discs lately. I'll bet I've sold 30 in the last 6 months. It makes me a little sad because my collection seems to be getting progressively smaller. On the other hand, I had a lot of CRAP in there. I used to love some of those movies, but four years later, they suck. I've managed to purchase some nice Criterions and boxed sets with the money, though.

The point is, what are your thoughts on this practice? If you could, would you prefer to have a massive library of DVDs, even if some of them never get spun? Or do you simply get rid of the stuff that you don't think you'll ever watch again?

Also, has anyone sold a Criterion? *cough*
Old 07-11-04, 06:10 PM

I thought about this a few times myself. I came to the conclusion that I bought them for a reason at one time or another so I might as well keep them. I've recently moved where I stored my DVD's and got to see some of the titles that I purchased way back when. I am now in the process of watching some of those titles. Plus you never know when you might want to check out an older title

Z
Old 07-11-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just recently decided to sell my more costly OOP CCs (namely Hard Boiled and This is Spinal Tap) just because, well, I don't watch them enough. I also decided to weed through and sell off the crap Alpha Video titles as well as some mainstream stuff that I used to enjoy, but it's just really bad. The collection is staying stagnant though, since I keep on buying more =P.
Old 07-11-04, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Every few months I'll clean about dozen titles from my collection. Mostly it's just crap that I never watch and I don't know why I bought it in the first place. Even if it does make my collection smaller, I think it makes my collection look better since I have a higher ratio of great movies to average and crap movies afterwards.
Old 07-11-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm always trading or selling parts of my collection, weeding away titles that i dont watch so i can buy new titles that i will watch. I'm not really concerned about the size of my collection, i would rather have titles that i think i would watch again than a bunch of titles just taking up space.
Old 07-11-04, 06:42 PM

Even if it does make my collection smaller, I think it makes my collection look better since I have a higher ratio of great movies to average and crap movies afterwards.
I'm not really concerned about the size of my collection, i would rather have titles that i think i would watch again than a bunch of titles just taking up space.
I feel better now. My collection is smaller now (not quite 100 titles), but it just "looks" better now that crap like Halloween H20 is gone. It's weird, my collection from four years ago would look absolutely nothing like it does now. I wonder how much of the original collection is gone?
Old 07-11-04, 06:43 PM

No, if I find myself not watching something or ever having the desire too, or not liking something anymore, I won't keep it. I'll just chuck it out the window and hope for the best.
Old 07-11-04, 06:49 PM

I occasionally clear stuff out but mostly I get rid of older editions of movies that I'm willing to wait for someone to give me the newer upgrade as a gift.

I occasionally clear stuff out but mostly I get rid of older editions of movies that I'm willing to wait for someone to give me the newer upgrade as a gift.

SideShow, I actually have your collection bookmarked (I do that to all of the standout collections I find on the various boards). You have a TON of movies. You're telling me that there were, at one time, MORE? Do you throw them out the window, or drive them out of the house with a forklift?

Just kidding, though. You have a lot of great stuff in there.

SideShow, I actually have your collection bookmarked (I do that to all of the standout collections I find on the various boards). You have a TON of movies. You're telling me that there were, at one time, MORE? Do you throw them out the window, or drive them out of the house with a forklift?

Old 07-11-04, 08:56 PM

About a year ago, I had about 300 titles. Right now, I have about 15 that I can honestly say that I'd watch over and over.
Old 07-11-04, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I clean my collection out quite a bit. I used to have about 100 movies now I'm down to about 30, and about 10 of those I've thought about dumping. When I first got into dvds I went a little overboard with buying blind buys. Now I only keep my favorite movies that I know I'll watch over and over. There were alot of movies I bought that I loved the first time I saw, but second viewings just didn't hold up. To me there is no point in keeping them if I'm not going to watch them. I don't have the room for them and can get some $ back for them.
Old 07-11-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I really don't sell much because I love most of the stuff I buy, and I know I will regret selling something and end up re-buying it anyway.
Old 07-11-04, 09:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since I hit the 750 mark ever time I reach a new 50 I'll go through and try to weed out about a dozen or so. I'll do this by pulling out some of the titles I haven't seen in awhile or I'm not sure I'm interested in anymore and rewatch them. Between that and being more selective in my buying I think I've gotten rid of most of the DVDs I don't want anymore (after the latest batch that is, I'm about to hit 1000 and so far have about 2 dozen I want to dump). Overall my main concern about the size of my collection is the space to store it in Personally I like having a wide selection of titles on hand since I never know what I'll be in the mood for (or what guests want to watch).

Last edited by nemein; 07-11-04 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-11-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unfortunatly I am a collector. I collect all kinds of crap and DVDs are something I collect. In the course of six years I have dumped a total of about 20 movies. I'm coming up on 400 movies today, so that is a small percentage. In my defense, I have a very good idea of the type of movie I enjoy and even my blind buys turn out to be pretty good IMHO, so they get rewatched.
Old 07-11-04, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Daniel L

Aw, really? That's so cool! No there weren't more, my tastes just keep growing through the years and I've gotten rid of stuff like XxX, which I have no idea why I owned that in the first place. I'd feel more guilty about the size of my collection but most of the time I get great deals so it's not too bad. Right now I'm in the middle of selling a batch on Ebay actually.

I get teased from guy friends being a girl and I have more DVDs than them, but they're happy about it when I give them stuff I no longer feel the need to own- go figure.
Old 07-11-04, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A while back, I did a fairly major purge (almost half) my collection, which brought me down to around 120 DVDs or so. I realized that just because I'd enjoyed a movie once didn't mean that I was necessarily going to watch it again. I also realized that I enjoyed more having a more streamlined collection rather than a large, uneven one.

So now I have a collection with my real favorites and movies that I think are particularly re-watchable. I got rid of some that sure, maybe I will want to watch again someday, but that are most likely going to be easy to rent, like Forrest Gump. On the other hand, I was more generous with keeping foreign or obscure titles that I thought I might want to see again, since those will be harder to find elsewhere.

One part of my collection that really didn't change much in the purge was my TV series sets. I find those quite re-watchable, as it's easy to fit in an episode here and there even if I don't have time to see a full movie.

It was a bit weird clearing out so many titles, because I have a strong pack-rat tendency, but it was pretty straightforward and satisfying once I clarified in my own mind what I was keeping the DVDs *for*. I'm not "collecting" them for the sake of having a large collection, I'm keeping a bunch of titles for my own convenient viewing pleasure. Since then, I've done a much better job about being selective in my purchases, too.
Old 07-11-04, 10:39 PM

I have got rid of a decent amount of movies because if I don't see myself wanting to watch it ever again I will dump it off.. I don't see myself ever having that huge of a collection because I keep it rather downsized (and like it that way) with things I want to keep around the most and not things I just have for the sake of having. That said there is alot of movies I want to buy still.
Old 07-11-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
I've never purged any of my collection, short of an upgrade. But since space is becoming a premium, I've thought there might be some I could do without. There were only 2 or 3 that I would dump... so looks like I'll always have storage issues
Old 07-11-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have never parted with any of my DVD's so far. I'm up around 750+, but I'm seeing more and more DVD's that I upgraded for some reason or another. I.e. Groundhog Day, Princess Bride, Carlito's Way, Reservior Dogs, Total Recall, Star Trek, etc, etc...

I feel like no one would even want any of the first versions of these titles, so why even bother trying to get rid of them. I would probably be happy with $5 a piece for them, is there a market? Should I even try, or just keep them?
Old 07-12-04, 03:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 160 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally posted by Numes

I would probably be happy with $5 a piece for them, is there a market? Should I even try, or just keep them?
www.spun.com
I've unloaded a few old DVDs that I've repalced with better versions, they give about a $5 credit and they sell new DVds fr a nice price

anyhow I've unlaoded about 10 DVds total, onyl XXX and Seven were ditche to never get replaced, I've replaced A christmas Story, the 4 vacation movies, and I'll replace Top Gun when the SE comes,also got rid of Ace Ventura (still waiting for a WS version) also had Grumpier Old Men,will get it and the 1st if WS DVDs are ever released, those are the only DVDs I've unlaoded
Old 07-12-04, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I trade/sell a good number of movies (digitaleyes.net & spun). I always think I am done, and then I look again and decide to dump more. The group is getting to where I think I could randomly pick any movie and be happy.

Oh, I have sold off about half of my Criterions. They ate not worth it to me, unless I really like the movie.
Old 07-12-04, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I began I told my self that there was no way I would pass the 500 mark. When I did, I purchased a collection of media book cases that could hold about 1200. It covers the entire wall of my small room. I now try to not exceed my ability to fill that space. Now if I buy something I go over what can go in its stead. Over the last year I have been holding at about 1000. I'm sure I could get rid of about 100 if I had to. Just had a Nightmare on Elm street marathon (all 7 movies) over the weekend. Had not touched the box in 2 years. I have alot of stuff like that. I don't know if I'm going to keep them but I pull them out every once in awhile to think about it.

Last edited by pagansoul; 09-28-04 at 11:47 AM.
Old 07-12-04, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I definitely sell what I don't watch. And I came to the realization a long time ago that my only criteria for buying a DVD is this:

Am I going to watch it again?

In '99, I splurged on many discs. Not anymore. I am more selective.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.