Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

"Zombie" vs. "Zombi 2"...is the difference only 1 disc?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

"Zombie" vs. "Zombi 2"...is the difference only 1 disc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by scarredgod
i sent a private message but i dont know if the private messaging works, what do you want for the extra SS DVD?

[email protected]
ya got mail
Old 08-21-04, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our US reviewer has checked out all three US releases of the classic Fulci undead, flesh-eating gore-fest Zombi 2 (Zombie). You can find his comparison review here.

Snippet:
While everyone around the world marveled at Romero’s triumphant breakthrough, co-producer Dario Argento (himself a maestro of the horror and giallo genres in his native Italy) re-edited [ Dawn Of The Dead ], re-instated most of the Goblin-composed music (that Romero was dissatisfied with and removed), and distributed the film throughout Europe as Zombi. Variety Film, a low-budget Italian production company, thought to cash in on the film's title and created a project which was to be called Zombi 2 and hired a reasonably well known director with a nasty penchant for pseudo-sadistic-jokes and a memorable way of expressing his discontent both through his actions and his colorful expressions… his name was Lucio Fulci.
Old 08-21-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Nice comparison. It really shows what a piece-O-shit the old Anchor Bay edition was. It was great to have for the moment, though.
Old 08-21-04, 06:55 PM

i just watched the SS DVD and i know imma get ranked for this one,but i like the anchor bay 5.1 mix better..i know this new transfer is better but the AB transfer was darker and i think lended more atmosphere to the movie..anyway, A+ on the brand new DVDs
Old 08-22-04, 02:35 AM

Well, with the increased clarity and picture quality, the gore just looks a lot less realistic. It's kind of like Dawn of the Dead when they remastered it...the blood just doesn't look dark enough and everything is very bright. That's the downside to all of this restoration. With the AB transfers, the muddy quality hides a lot of the film's special effects flaws. Does any body else feel this way?

I still got the SS version by the way...it's like a brand new movie.
Old 09-01-04, 01:54 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I saw the two disc today at Best Buy for $14.99... I JUST bought the 1 disc one 2 weeks ago for the same price (the one with the clear amray, Blue Underground). I may need to go back and get the two disc one as well. Boo. I didn't even know there would ne two different editions coming out, one with slightly better picture. and one with a ton of extras. Oh well.

Last edited by Gizmo; 09-01-04 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-01-04, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread (sorry if I missed it): the Shriek Show DVD is not flagged for 3/2 pulldown in progressive mode. If you plan to watch this in progressive mode (or ever plan to upgrade your monitor/player), then get the Blue Underground disc for the superior transfer.

Apparently, Shriek Show has a history of failing to flag for "film mode", so unlikely they'll replace this as an error.
Old 09-01-04, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

just picked up the 2-disc version tonight at bestbuy. it was the last copy they had. when i opened it, i was dismayed to see that the chapter insert was mauled by being jammed in along with the mini-comic book and repro poster inside the double-slim amaray case. normally i wouldn't mind, but in this case the sheet really got f***ed up. did this happen to anybody else?
Old 09-01-04, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally posted by darmok
just picked up the 2-disc version tonight at bestbuy. it was the last copy they had. when i opened it, i was dismayed to see that the chapter insert was mauled by being jammed in along with the mini-comic book and repro poster inside the double-slim amaray case. normally i wouldn't mind, but in this case the sheet really got f***ed up. did this happen to anybody else?
yea, but just on the lower right hand corner.
Old 12-28-05, 02:23 PM

"...the Shriek Show DVD is not flagged for 3/2 pulldown in progressive mode."

Incredibly annoying, I know. I sold mine.
Old 10-12-06, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

my media blasters disc locked up at 54:12...skipped ahead to 59:42...i was able to back up but it was annoying...disc is pristine.

anyone have a contact number for media blasters / shriek show
Old 10-12-06, 09:12 AM

Media Blasters
519 8th Avenue
15th Floor
New York, NY 10018

I've exchanged a few discs through them, just be warned its at your own risk since there's no phone number to call them.
Old 10-12-06, 09:22 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
I read in Rue Morgue that elusive longer cuts of the film exist and that a truly definitive special edition could be superior to the DVD's that are currently out. I believe the current issue has the the famous zombie head on the cover as well as a Fulci retrospect.
Old 10-12-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by KFelon
Media Blasters
519 8th Avenue
15th Floor
New York, NY 10018

I've exchanged a few discs through them, just be warned its at your own risk since there's no phone number to call them.
thanks...i found this online...I'll give a call and see which address is correct

Call them at (212) 532-1688

Send snail-mail to:

Media Blasters
265 West 40th Street
Suite 700
New York, NY 10018