How do you control your DVD spending?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-04, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive seen some people mention on here they go through stages of spending loads and then try to have a stage of spending nothing ... which is odd : i buy what i want to see but cant see any other way - i have no one to borrow from and theres lots of films on dvd not released (and never released) here in the UK... so i buy what catches my interest from those. frankly : there are few films i can watch repeatedly simply cos thats the way my brain works - i can memorise or remember a film cos i have a very visual memory. i love music and can listen to records repeatedly over years but theres not much music around at the moment i really like (not as regluarly as there are films)... so - there are always films coming out and if you buy what interests you then theres no reason to buy loads then buy none - just buy what you want in the knowledge theres always gonna be more you want in the future and theres no need to have ALL of it. also : i agree with avoiding "collectors" items and so on - nothing really has much value (apart from the odd criterion)... the amount you spend buying collectors items versus what you could possibly make if ANY of it goes up in value is nominal... also : dont buy anything but the FILMS - i dont get trapped by anything but a GOOD FILM : no nice boxes, no DTS, no commentaries... theres too much of interest out there that if i didnt buy then i would NEVER see them...
Old 08-21-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only buy want I will watch over and over again. For the past few months, I have been avg only 2 or 3.
Old 08-21-04, 09:00 PM

This is a really good question and there is no simple way to answer it. For what it's worth, here's how I control my DVD spending:

Rule #1: Knowledge is Power. How many different versions of movie X are on the market right now? What version is around the corner? I tend to only buy what I believe to be the best of the best version available, AND the version that I also believe will be the best for a while. It's easy to walk away from a version you know is not the cream of the crop.

Rule #2: Only buy used. 95% of my 450 plus collection was purchased used. Time is on your side. You can get some seriously smoking deals if you are patient. Criterion's OOP The Killer for $13.95 is one small example. Today, for $6.99 apiece used, I bought the Divimax Dawn of the Dead and the Vista Series version of Unbreakable.

Rule #3: Work the Street Deals. I'm talking about Sunday Sales Circulars, like the recent $15.99 Goodfellas deal at Blockbuster, and the 2 for $20 or 3 for $25 deals at BB, CC, Hollywood Video or Blockbuster Video.

Rule #4: Work the Online Deals. This woud be using Columbia House for all they are worth and patiently awaiting the bi-annual deepdiscountdvd.com 20% off sale.

Rule #5: Only Pay Cash. Set yourself a weekly DVD allowance. If you find great deals that week, cash in. If not, roll it over to next week. For online payments, pay or allot for the cash into your bank account and then charge it.

Rule #6: It goes without saying that the flick should be one you plan to revisit at least three times for whatever reason. Have a solid wish list and stick to it.

These rules work like a charm for me.

Last edited by Loc Nar; 08-21-04 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-21-04, 09:05 PM
Banned

STOP BUYING!

I am now only buying DVD's that I know I will watch a lot and are favorites or that I am a fan of in some form or another...
Old 08-21-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that I have a job 100% of my money is going to DVDs, the only thing keeping me from not going over that is my lack of a credit card. Thank god for debit cards
Old 08-21-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

some of you guys have 0 spending control
Old 08-21-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by atari2600

control puts a real tight strap on my fun. I prefer it loose.
Old 08-21-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by atari2600
You can't double dip on life, why not get the ultimate edition?
Old 08-22-04, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

well as long as you are happy with it, more power to you.
Old 08-22-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

"Control"....hmmm. Unfortunately, it seems I am unfamiliar with this term of which you speak.
Old 08-22-04, 03:58 PM

Will power, I mean come on dvds are a luxury, anybody on here that buys dvds on credit is crazy, unless they can afford it. I have netflix and only buy must haves, and stuff I can't get any other way.
Old 08-22-04, 07:12 PM

I joined Netflix which I use to watch DVDs of movies/shows that I havn't seen instead of buying them blind (and mostly regreating)... and then I just keep a running budget of all the releases I know I'll watch repeatedly months before they come out and I shop around or the best prices.
Old 08-22-04, 07:26 PM

This is my first post on here (after lurking for a LONG time). Though I'd add my $.04...

In my younger days, I made mistakes and got into a helluva lot of debt. After digging and digging my way out, I learned my lesson. For me, the #1 rule is: If I can't pay CASH for it (either the green kind or debit card), then it can wait. By which time, I'll probably forget due to my horrible memory!

Also, every once in a while, I sell some of my "adult" DVD's on eBay, then use that money to get some "mainstream" DVD's I really want.

To some people, credit cards are like a loaded gun and I was one of those people once. Probably not the right analogy, but my anologies suck! Now, just with my debit card, I know what I can spend. If I spend too much, I'll be eating croutons for dinner until next payday.

I also stress the rewatchability factor, especially on TV sets.

Not sure if the comments broke any new ground, but they're just my thoughts.
Old 08-22-04, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's the Credit Card thing.If you don't use it for your purchases then you can control a lot.
Old 08-22-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts
This is how I control it:

On release day I say "Hmmm nothing of interest". So I go out and get 6 catalog items instead.

This is how I control it and create a nice collection at the same time
Old 08-22-04, 09:29 PM

I have 2 credit cards. 1 has $200 credit limit on it and the other has $500
I usually Max them both out and wait till I get my paycheck and pay a huge portion of both then spend all over again.
Old 08-22-04, 09:34 PM
Suspended

I wish I'd had some control today... ended up getting 33 discs from Sunday sales and bargain bins. Luckily they were all titles that I can sell off my VHS copies of on Ebay, so that'll put a little bit of cash back in my pocket.
Old 08-22-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Buy used, and pay cash. I don't use a credit card, and I'm going to avoid using one as long as possible (except for extreme emergencies, of course).

Like the others on here, I'd also suggest "trimming the fat" via eBay.
Old 08-23-04, 02:12 AM
eau
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

"No DVD for you this week," using Jedi's mind trick.
Old 08-23-04, 03:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I have never really had the chances to go all out with dvd splurging like some people never making munch. But I have severely cut down on my dvd buying the past 2 years.

I only pay cash,or use my debit card..and since I make lousy pay,and have been getting few hours lately. I have pretty much stopped buying dvds altogether,expect the one ocasional title a month.

So far for August I have stuck to my guns of NO dvd purchases at all. Sure it has been very tempting with those 2 for $20 sales at Best Buy(very few good titles,but at least 2 favorites of mine somewhere in the ad). Even recently browsing Sun Coast which had a 2 for $20 sale. I 'almost' bought a couple dvds(either used,or on that sale),but forced myself not to..and hurried out of the store once this sales lady who tries to sell me crap,was away. Last time she was there,same sale,I ended up buying a couple titles despite originally plannin to browse,not buy. Yet at least I got a great deal on a couple all time favorites of mine. + I paid with the cash I had on me,rather than writing a check or using the debit card.

Today while at a used book store buying a couple 50 cent records in mint condition. I almost bought The Last Boy Scout on dvd(I love that film,but still don't own it)..and put it back.

Meanwhile I am slowly starting to pick up some hours this and the following week at work. We'll see if it continues or not. Even then,I am going to try to stick to my guns with very very few dvd purchases. I am concentrating on saving up more + paying off my credit(nope,was not charged on dvds,just a computer and a few small bills for other items). Once credit is paid off,I like I am doing now & Be credit free since the cards are evil.

Yet with the Criterion Videodrome being released on the 31st,and the Dawn of the Dead Ultimate set a week later. It is tempting and oh so tough to resist.

But I will fight the urge as much as possible. Now I love Videodrome and the CC release won't be available long. So I 'should' get it. But I may hold out a few months if possible.

I sadly had to miss out on the Hitchcock Criterion set,being a huge Hitch fan. It was a missed opportunity. Since I almost had enough money to purchase it before going OOP,but then my financial situation worsened from fewer hours at work,so I had to postpone it.

I am not a Criterion junkie like some people. I only buy the CC titles of films I actually like,not just because they are collectables

But ever since I started collection dvds in 1999. I have been very careful in my buying,that I only have just barely over 200 dvds. Christmas dvd gifts,and my usual 1-2 dvd a month limit has helped build my collection slowly.

Still it does suck when so many of my favorites are being released at once and some won't be around long. Then it becomes a pain to not buy them,and usually miss out. But oh well,someday in the future. I will track down some copies for a reasonable price. You just have to be patient and look around.
Old 08-23-04, 08:47 AM

I only buy a dvd now if I know I'll want to watch it more than once. This simple test has saved me lots of $$$.
Old 08-23-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How to control your addiction:

1) Admit you have a problem.

2) Get help. And not from this forum! See a financial counselor AND a therapist. Preferably ones that don't know what DTS is.

3) Stop rationalizing. For example, "I had to buy this DVD because it was so cheap" or "I'm just building a library of movies."

4) Stop lying. Hiding purchases from others should be a big red flag that something's wrong.

Once you've got your addiction under control, here are some tips:

1) Avoid this forum. Your wants won't be wants if you don't know about them.

2) Don't take advantage of sales. I know this will sound crazy to people, but the out-of-control spending pattern is fueled by the excitement of sales and new releases. As pointed out above, if you're saving 30% and putting it on a credit card you're saving nothing - once you factor in compounded interest, you've probably paid list plus. Also, to someone in the grip of reckless spending, a dollar saved is just another dollar to spend. Don't feed the beast! Starve it.

3) Don't buy new releases. If you buy only catalog releases, you will likely buy only movies you really want. Remove yourself from the excitement cycle of Tuesdays.
Old 08-23-04, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I haven't bought a dvd in months. I could explain how I did this, but I'd get banned. Suffice it to say, it involves Netflix.
Old 08-23-04, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You know,while I don't have a true dvd adddiction like some people. I do have the 'potential' to become a dvd freak if I had the money.

So what I am going to do,is to keep myself in check whenever I do make enough money and have my credit paid off. Basically stick with my 1-2 a month limit,or nothing at all.

I have done fairly well,since I have bought very few movies this year. Over the summer, I bought a total of 5 dvds,but only if I had some cash on me in my wallet. So not too bad actually. But if what little cash I have in my wallet(which is my weekly spending limit,in order to save up the rest to pay my bills + gas for the car) can be added to the bills. The better,since it would help pay them off alittle quicker. Especially my laptop bill which is the biggest...and no I did not buy it in order to skim dvdtalk bargins and such(though yes I do love posting on forums to discuss films and such themselves,rather than the best bargins),lol. Mostly bought it to work on my homework for class,and have access to the net since my lazy older brother has taken over our family computer.

Right now though,since August is almost overwith. Once September starts,I am going to push myself to not buy anything then as well..whether it be new releases(which are fewer to choose from,since I buy mostly catalog stuff),or previous releases(which are many) I haven't purchased yet.

If I succeed,then the biggest test will be October,since their is that bombardment of terrific Warner horror releases(& god only knows what other studios are releasing),the Dawn of the Dead remake and oh yeah,that Friday the 13th box set. Oh...and I could care less about the Star Wars revamps(so September will be easy to get through,hehe).

I am doing good so far,since I had to resist some of my all time favorite films like Goodfellas,Mean Strees and The Lost Boys. These are films I would watch more than once,but I am trying to not bother buying right now. Of course the price of the Scorssesse set was tempting since $50 was cheaper than buying all the films separately even on sale. Yet since I had not seen the other three films,and am not sure if I would like them or not. I said 'no no no'...and that went for the single releases as well

Speaking of college. Phew,it is starting up again next week(well I do have two classes this Friday)..and am a full time student. So that will take up alot of my time. Meanwhile work is slowly increasing my hours again since he holiday season is starting(though I am still trying to find another/ 2nd job)...which may give me even less energy and time to watch and buy dvds.

Even if I won a million dollers. I don't think I would ever treat myself to a big dvd splurge(within a certain limit like $100-$200 max)..since while a fun idea and nothing wrong if only a one time deal. I think it would be best,not to satiate that urge,and just slowly build up the collection over time,with great control.

Eventually I forget about the releases I wanted as the months go by. Then may stumble upon them on the shelf and think "Hey I forgot that was on dvd,wow!"...and usuallly don't buy it. But knowing I still have the opportunity + at a far lower price,is always pleasent to know.

The last huge dvd release year for me in my most wants was 2002,which had more than enough titles I wanted. Yet I still have not bought one of them,from the likes of Pulp Fiction SE to The Haunting among many many more. At least I think it was 2002 when those were released.

2003 was a pretty slow year thankfully,and I mostly bought a very select few titles ocasionally,usually some favorites that were a couple years old and such.

Yet now 2004 has an overkill amount of my all time favorites and such coming out at once. So it is very tough to resist,but I am doing my best,and so far am winning.

Oh as for so called 'big' releases that 'everyone must own'. I never fall for that. Since I am not into current films that much. It's easier to resist. So no I don't own any of the Lord of the Rings dvds(& have yet to see the sequels!!!),Spiderman,The Matrix series (which sucks anyway) among other titles that have people drooling in animalistic anticipation.

While I am a Star Wars fan,I could care less about the revamped craptacular editions. So not buying that will be very easy. I hated the 'new' trilogy so far,so not owning,nor ever caring to buy them someday is easy as well.

I only buy films I do like,and or want to see since they may be rare and unavailable for rental and such. Yet even then,I pick my purchases very selectively..and have barely been burned by a blind buy.

Last edited by Julie Walker; 08-23-04 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-23-04, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I only spend $$$ I make by selling stuff on ebay/half.com, etc.

When that dries up, I am seriously ****ed!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.