Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you control your DVD spending?

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

How do you control your DVD spending?

Old 06-25-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll let you know when I learn how to control my Video Game habit...
Old 06-25-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How? Wife.
Old 06-25-04, 08:45 PM

I find it interesting how many people say that their wives/girlfriends help keep them in check. I know that I got into a little trouble for how much I spent on the DDD sale. Is DVD collecting pretty much a male-only hobby? Are there any women out there who are having trouble controlling themselves with respect to DVDs?
Old 06-25-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by icruise
I find it interesting how many people say that their wives/girlfriends help keep them in check. I know that I got into a little trouble for how much I spent on the DDD sale. Is DVD collecting pretty much a male-only hobby? Are there any women out there who are having trouble controlling themselves with respect to DVDs?
i have around 300 DVDs and i've spent very little on them. I spend on Disney and TV sets i absolutely love and will watch over and over again. I usually collect Amazon GC's and combine them with STL for boxsets. Regular movies i get from CH when tey become available for enrollment. I also don't buy anything unless i know i'll watch it again.
Old 06-25-04, 10:33 PM
Cool New Member

I don't.
Old 06-25-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: How do you control your DVD spending?

Originally posted by corycouger
I bought about $500 worth of DVDs from Best Buy, Circuit City, and Deepdiscountdvd.com and now I am in debt.

How do you control this hobby?
sheesh man.

try self control.

you obviously cannot afford to buy dvds now, yet you do. why?

i do not feel sorry for you.
Old 06-25-04, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When I start looking at DVDs as the number of meals that I might potentially miss, then I stop.
Old 06-26-04, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Simple. Don't buy as many DVD's. Its not an addiction. Go out and buy the ones that you really want. Once I decided on getting DVD's I only wanted I started getting like one or two a month. I have a modest collection of 176 but then again I have money for other things now.
Old 06-26-04, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by tofu
When I start looking at DVDs as the number of meals that I might potentially miss, then I stop.
wtf? I look at that as an easy way to go on a diet.
Old 06-26-04, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by coladar
wtf? I look at that as an easy way to go on a diet.
hey, that was my line in another thread.
Old 06-26-04, 01:07 AM

Control? what the hell are you talking about?

Old 06-26-04, 02:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stay away from new releases. (Like a lot of movies nowadays, a special edition may be released later down the line)

Buy used and/or trade.

Set an amount and stick to it. (Mine is $40 every payday)
Old 06-26-04, 03:04 AM

I am a woman with a dvd buying problem. Just spent a couple hundred buying sets at FYE and sent in for the rebates. I knew that the Indina Jones was the best I had seen, but later realized I could have gotten a better deal on the bond set through the new dvd club from ch where you spent $10 for a year and get free shipping. I go into a store sometimes and drop $100 or so on dvds. I love Disney and buy many tv shows as well even through I have many of the shows on tape.
Old 06-26-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Me, I just prioritize. I mean that root canal can wait. What's a little dull pain every now and then when I can get a whole slew of DVDs from the Deep Discount sale...
Old 06-26-04, 09:57 AM

I just say F* It!

Yes, it may be a good deal now but after the finance charges blow the bargain out of the water, you are left with bills. Survival is the key and DVDs will not attribute to your survival and they won't make you happy either because the stress you are feeling right now destroys the pseudo-happiness you WERE feeling!
Old 06-26-04, 09:58 AM
bga

Originally posted by sracer
Columbia House is overrated IMO. It's ok for a cycle or two, but I found it to be more of a hassle than it was worth, and the selection was terrible.
While CH no longer carries Buena Vista titles (Disney, BV, Miramax, Hollywood Pictures), they do carry about 5000 titles, which is a third of the titles carried by regular online retailers like DDD. If you are hot for titles that are carried by CH, and your purchasing habit there is to join, fulfill and quit, you are averaging about $7.50 per dvd. Furthermore, it's hard to do more than 1 or 2 cycles of this per month, so you're budgeting yourself at $75 a month if you are able to do one CH cycle a month.

If you really think you're overspending because you're making impulse buys because things are a bargain (DDD sale, BB/CC hot price on DVD opening week), etc., then stop frequenting DVD websites and stop reading the Sunday circulars. Ignorance is bliss, and if you don't know about a "bargain" you won't be tempted.
Old 06-26-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by bga
If you really think you're overspending because you're making impulse buys because things are a bargain (DDD sale, BB/CC hot price on DVD opening week), etc., then stop frequenting DVD websites and stop reading the Sunday circulars. Ignorance is bliss, and if you don't know about a "bargain" you won't be tempted.
sometimes a "bargain" at a regular site is still much more than CH package. I usually wait until a bunch of movies i want is available for enrollment and get them.
Old 06-26-04, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: How do you control your DVD spending?

Originally posted by corycouger
I bought about $500 worth of DVDs from Best Buy, Circuit City, and Deepdiscountdvd.com and now I am in debt.
Did you pay with a credit card? I am not condoning using a credit card to purchase just whatever, but the average payment on most credit cards with less than a $1000 is $15 - $25 dollars (but pay as much as you can over the minimum). If you pay that, you are fine (exept for the APR that gets you). Of course it is debt, but you bought the dvds. If you were worried about debt you never would have.

And all I can say is what others have said...self control.
Old 06-26-04, 12:21 PM
Cool New Member

netflix all the way. After having purchased a couple big box sets (Ken Burns Civil War and the Woodey Allen Collections) which I have still yet to watch all the way through even though I've had them for months, much less get around to watching them multiple times, I've realized I really don't benifit from owning these things in any way besides having a cool shelf in my home. Now I only buy things I know for certain I will watch again and again. As much as I work, netflix is good enough for keeping me entertained. I don't even have cable now that I have an account with them.
I would also try and weight your purchase against how long it took you to aquire that money. Is the "Battlestar Gallactica" DVD really worth eight hours at your boring job. Or is would you really rather have all seven seasons of constantly sindicated "Friends" more than a wisely budgeted trip to Europe or just the beach.
I agree with one of the original posters that a collection isn't about just owning a buch of crappy dvd's you never watch. That's pointless consumerism. Just buy the stuff you really, really want. But of course first get out of debt before you buy anymore. You'll want to be able to pick up star wars opening weekend without a guilty conscience.
Old 06-26-04, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by jjacobs399
Or is would you really rather have all seven seasons of constantly sindicated "Friends" more than a wisely budgeted trip to Europe or just the beach.
Good points overall, but since when can you get a trip to Europe for $200?
Old 06-26-04, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To all honesty....I've controller my habits on a few factors.

#1. Bought a House
#2. Netflix
#3. Engaged
#4. Buying a NEW car

All of those reasons keep me from buying 100's of DVD's. I will still buy the occassional DVD, but Netflix is just easier.
Old 06-26-04, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by icruise
It is the exact opposite with me. My sensible boyfriend is the one who tries to keep me in check. Usually it won't take more than a "Are you on the internet looking at DVDs AGAIN???" to make me stop reading the bargain and exchange forums. But when he's not around and I'm tempted to spend money I don't have on DVDs, I just look at the giant bookcases that house my collection and count the number of DVDs I still haven't watched or are still in their shrinkwrap. That makes me realize that maybe that Super Special Edition of whatever movie can wait.
Old 06-26-04, 02:25 PM

I find it ironic that everyone counts on their partners to keep them in check, mostly because if it weren't for our dual incomes, I wouldn't have nearly the collection I do now.

Personally, it's not too hard to keep my buying in line because, #1 - I'm slowly running out of older movies that interest me,

#2 - I'm really cheap, and am usually willing to wait it out for the best price possible.

#3 - Most recent movies don't do alot for me, so I'll usually wait quite a while for the ones I want or wait out for the Special Editions (Star Trek or Matrix movies for example)

#4 - Try to avoid bare-bones releases unless I'm REALLY sure it's not going to get any better. If it's an older catalog title that has only recently been released, and it's anamorphic widescreen, then chances are slim that it will be reissued (much of the Paramount widescreen collection would fall under this.)

If it's an older catalog title that's a bare-bones, non-anamorphic, and has been out for more than three years, chances are much better that a new version is on the horizon (take Manchurian Candidate for instance.)

I have far from the biggest collection around but I've managed to get some pretty good deals. If DVD Profiler is to be believed, in my collection of around 138 titles (many of them box sets) I've got an MSRP of $3899.76, but my actual cost on everything is only $1490.29. That's a discount average of 64% off retail, over the course of around three years.
Old 06-26-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
icruise

I am a woman and I don't feel that I have an add -- add --- addi

Heck, I just buy what I want and my husband foots the bill. I started with beta, vhs, 8mm, laser discs, and now dvds. I have @700 lasers left and 2223 dvds (admittedly 2 100 are dvd-rs I burned from vhs or lasers) .
I certainly make sure my husband, children , and puppies don't suffer
from my buying dvds.

I am fortunate.

Old 06-26-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

since cash tips feed 100% of my library....any type of control is out of the question. I just pull in good tips, add them up(usually $100 to $200 a week), and then go nuts.

I never have used credit for building my library...cash only.

my wife could care less as long as bills are paid and we keep saving and putting away at the same time. she knows I bust my ass 50+ hours a week and I deserve my "hobby". she flips out though, every damn time I jump out of a plane. just like a twist.

looking forward to tomorrow. more dvds.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.