DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Videodrome Criterion in August!

Old 05-28-04, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally posted by ctyankee

Let's see a director who hasn't been relevant in almost twenty years and now goes to screenings of his own movies...
The following is a list of other directors who I've seen speak at screenings of their own films who must therefore no longer be relevent:

Sophia Copola
Peter Weir
Terry Gilliam
Frank Darabont
Alison Anders
John Lasseter

...and last time I checked In The Mouth of Madness, Memoirs of the Invisible Man, and Big Trouble in Little China are all less than 20 years old.
Old 05-28-04, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Pants
snip ...

...and last time I checked In The Mouth of Madness, Memoirs of the Invisible Man, and Big Trouble in Little China are all less than 20 years old.
I'll keep this short. Memoirs of the Invisible Man stunk.

In The Mouth of Madness .... I didn't see the film. Its rating at imdb.com probably is quite telling however ...

I said "who hasn't been relevant in almost twenty years" Big Trouble in Little China was made 18 years ago and his last relevant film. He also did some fine films before that.

But, face it, when current producers are thinking of directors for their projects, Carpenter would be lucky to make the B list.

However, we are doing a true thread-jack here. If you want to continue this, create a thread about Carpenter being still viable and I'll be glad to debate it.

If not, have the last word as I'm done.
Old 05-28-04, 04:22 PM
Banned

Originally posted by ctyankee

But, face it, when current producers are thinking of directors for their projects, Carpenter would be lucky to make the B list.

Carpenter hasn't worked as a director for hire since The Thing. He initiates all his own projects. In The Mouth of Madness is EXTREMELY GOOD as is Ghosts of Mars. Unfortunately many people enjoy ripping these films without seeing them.

Oh and Videodrome Kicks Ass. I'm glad it's finnally coming. I emailed John Mulvaney about this as a potential title on six different occasions so I'm glad they did it. Cronenberg is the only director who kicks more ass than Carpenter.

P.S. Cover art here http://www.criterionco.com/asp/release.asp?id=248

Last edited by Pants; 05-28-04 at 06:51 PM.
Old 05-28-04, 11:46 PM

Uh, that page on the criterion collection site states the film is NOT anamorphic. What gives? I thought they had done a new transfer?
Old 05-29-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joffa
Uh, that page on the criterion collection site states the film is NOT anamorphic. What gives? I thought they had done a new transfer?
It's undoubtedly a typo. Here are the specs from the "Criterion in August" thread on this very board:

248 - Videodrome
-New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound and enhanced for widescreen televisions
-Audio commentaries by director David Cronenberg, actors James Woods and Deborah Harry, and director of photography Mark Irwin
-Camera, a short film starring Videodrome’s Les Carlson, written and directed by David Cronenberg in 2000 as part of the 25th anniversary celebration of the Toronto Film Festival
-Forming the New Flesh, a new half-hour documentary featurette by video effects artist Michael Lennick about the creation of Videodrome’s landmark video and prosthetic makeup effects, featuring new interviews with Rick Baker and others
-Samurai Dreams, the complete and unedited faux Japanese AV feature seen in the film
-Fear on Film, a 26-minute roundtable discussion from 1982 between filmmakers David Cronenberg, John Carpenter, John Landis, and Mick Garris about censorship, special effects makeup, and horror cinema
-Original theatrical trailers, plus a promotional featurette
-Stills gallery featuring hundreds of rare behind-the-scenes production photos, special effects makeup tests, and publicity photos, many never before seen
-English subtitles for the deaf and hearing impaired
-Essays by film critic Carrie Rickey and Videodrome expert Tim Lucas
-Optimal image quality: RSDL dual-layer edition
-More!
Old 05-29-04, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by Gerry P.
[B]It's undoubtedly a typo. Here are the specs from the "Criterion in August" thread on this very board:
It could be a mistake on Criterion's own posting but not a typo. "Not Anamorphic" is the term they use on their earlier non-anamorphic efforts - e.g. Amarcord ...
Old 05-29-04, 01:27 AM

I prefer the original poster art, but that cover is a nice representation on how bizarre this masterpiece is, and will likely catch the attention of many who have never heard of it.
Old 05-29-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They Live is less than twenty years old. THE END
Old 05-29-04, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
"They Live" is that piece of crap starring that wrestler who never got a movie career, right?

Anyway, it looks like the Criterion site's been updated now with the correct transfer info, Anamorphic and:

New high-definition digital transfer, with restored image and sound and enhanced for widescreen televisions
Old 05-31-04, 12:26 PM
CineSchlock-O-Rama

Originally posted by DonnachaOne
SO, YEAH, HOW 'BOUT THAT VIDEODROME CC! HUH? HUH?

Leave the definition of horror for another thread! This one's all about the new flesh!
Maybe I can help touch the Cronenberg base. Here's Davey on "horror" vs. "supernatural thriller, etc.":

... Horror is sort of a dirty word. [Directors are] more comfortable with "supernatural thriller" or any other term.

I think it's basically because of a certain fastidiousness. Horror involves bodies and death. It involves fluids. It's very primal in its dealings with drama. ... There are a lot of directors who are overrefined and just don't want to deal with that kind of stuff. Because it is very potent, frankly, I think they have a kind of repulsion or revulsion or fear of it themselves. ... I think it has to do with where the power is generated within the horror genre.

Read the rest of my interview
http://dvdtalk.com/cineschlock/cronenberg/index.html
Old 05-31-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one last bit on Carpenter (sorry)

Carpenter hasn't worked as a director for hire since The Thing. He initiates all his own projects.
'Memoirs of an Invisible Man' was a for-hire job.

sorry, I couldn't leave that dangling out there.
Old 08-29-04, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope to see this arrive in my mailbox this Tuesday, having held off on the barebones disc in hopes an edition like this would come out. I was very pleased to hear of its release a while back ago (and by Criterion no less!).

I've been following the chatter about the cable version of Videodrome. I'm curious to see the deleted scenes, but would not pay money for a copy of it as it is a bootleg and not sanctioned by Cronenberg. I think this is something that should be kept within the fan trading domain and not be made into a commercial commodity for that sake. I've done many trades of unofficial concert recordings with fellow fans of certain artists. Sometimes we trade blank media for one concert (for example: 3 blank CDRs for one CDR of a particular concert). That said, if a fellow Cornenberg fan who has a good copy of the cable TV broadcast version of Videodrome would like to correspond with another fellow Cronenberg fan and be willing to accept my trade of blank media for it, I’d be most happy to hear from him or her. Please PM me.

Last edited by slowcloud; 08-29-04 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-29-04, 08:41 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

so this is a good movie?
Old 08-29-04, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by jough
"They Live" is that piece of crap starring that wrestler who never got a movie career, right?
You know it's certainly not a great movie but I always thought the concept was pretty cool. A better executed version of it might make for an excellent "Invaders" type sci fi paranoid conspiracy flick.
Old 08-29-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes, Scott. This is a fine piece of work, but very weird. Cronenberg puts you in the shoes of a hallucinogenic person (or is he???). Kind of like Memento put you in the mind of a guy who has lost his short-term memory.
Old 08-29-04, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Could any of you post a link to the trailer? I have been looking for a while now and can't find one on any website.
Old 08-30-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

This is a fantastic set. Here's the DVD Talk review...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=12109
Old 08-30-04, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have never seen this film (I'd still like to see a trailer if anyone can help me out there). How does this film compare to something like Naked Lunch or eXistenZ?
Old 08-30-04, 03:52 PM

Actually, it's very similar in structure and theme to "eXistenZ." Just older.
Old 08-30-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Muy interesante, thanks.
Old 08-30-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I concur, Jason! I was thinking of mentioning the similarities of Videodrome and eXistenZ. Beyond the evolution of the film's most famous line ("Death to Videodrome, long live the new flesh!"), the film's themes are similar in that they deal with the dangers of escaping reality through media, be it the popularity of video tape in the late 70s/early 80s or the popularity of virtual reality gaming at the end of the 20th century (eXistenZ gets more prophetic all the time).
Old 08-30-04, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Videodrome utterly demolished me when I saw it at age 12. Unbelievably good and utterly mindfurgling. Bravo! Yay! Yaaaaay!
Old 08-30-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Videodrome utterly demolished me when I saw it at age 12
Yeah, I first saw it at 14 years old when it first came out on video and it had the same effect on me.

Hope my copy arrives from DDD tomorrow. From the reviews I've read so far, it looks like an amazing package and presentation. Criterion does it again.
Old 08-30-04, 06:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

If I don't really like Cronenberg, will I like this movie?

Just read the review by Jason and it has me very intrigued. I have only seen "The Fly" and "Dead Ringers". I liked "The Fly" a lot, but DR not so much at all and am not really interested in Cronenberg's others.

So will I like "Videodrome" if I like horror-ish movies that this seems to be? Thanks.

TV 2
Old 08-31-04, 09:59 AM

Re: If I don't really like Cronenberg, will I like this movie?

Originally posted by scott1598
TV 2
How perfect!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.