DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-20-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes!!!

Debbie Hairy in 16x9!
Old 05-20-04, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Videodrome Criterion

Excellent. I am stoked to hear this. Glad I waited. Somehow I just had a feeling about this one eventually coming.
Old 05-20-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll gladly double dip on this one! One of my favorite Cronenberg flicks. Great news...
Old 05-20-04, 08:52 PM
Banned by request

I've had the original release of this ever since I've had a DVD player. It was the film that introduced me to Cronenberg, and I still think it's his best (well, tied with Dead Ringers).

One of my most cherished memories is seeing a double feature of this and Dead Ringers at the Egyptian in Hollywood, then seeing Cronenberg do a very stimulating and intelligent Q&A, and then talking to him for 15 minutes one-on-one afterwards.

I am so happy about this. Thank you, Criterion, thank you!
Old 05-20-04, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Great news! And what a set of extras.

Tim Lucas from Video Watchdog helped out with putting this together, here's what he said about it at the Mobius forum:

"I've been working with Criterion on this VIDEODROME set and I have every confidence it's going to be outstanding. In addition to SAMURAI DREAMS (and possibly Masha's program APOLLO & DYONISUS, though they feel the quality of this may not warrant its complete use), the set is going to contain about five or six VIDEODROME segments, including much material not seen in the final film, such as the SAMURAI DREAMS actress turning up on the VIDEODROME set as a victim. I'm told that David Cronenberg got to see the rough cut of Michael Lennick's new production short last night and loved it.
I covered the making of the film for CFQ and made a couple of visits to the set with two different photographers (one of them my wife, Donna) back in 1981. When they invited me to contribute, I shipped a large box to Criterion, containing thousands of previously unpublished slides (Barry Convex stuff like you wouldn't believe!), all my original on-set interview tapes, and the complete typescript of my unpublished book-length manuscript THE IMAGE BECOMES VIRUS: THE MAKING OF VIDEODROME. Criterion are still trying to assess how much of these materials they can use, though it's doubtful the book will appear in its entirety, as they don't do CD-ROM extras. But they have asked me to provide the text for the accompanying booklet, which will be partly derived from the manuscript and partly new."

http://www.mhvf.net/forum/scifihorro...124259104.html

I can't wait to get this.
Old 05-20-04, 10:46 PM

Happy and pissed at the same time because I bought this less than a month ago.
Old 05-20-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Global Observer
This is a MUST own.
Gawd damn right it is! Can't wait to pick this up!
Old 05-20-04, 11:30 PM

sweet.
Old 05-20-04, 11:35 PM
Banned

Videodrome was the very first DVD I ever purchased. This will be the sweetest double-dip of all time.
Old 05-21-04, 07:53 AM

unfriggin' believable! who knew wow, I'll buy it.
Old 05-21-04, 08:43 AM

Well, there was no question we'd see a Special Edition of this because I gave in and bought the current one back in January after waiting a year for a price drop which of course came 2 months later.

I know there are people just itching for to me to pick up the current Baron Munchausen.
Old 05-21-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cultshock

Great news! And what a set of extras.

Tim Lucas from Video Watchdog helped out with putting this together, here's what he said about it at the Mobius forum:

"I've been working with Criterion on this VIDEODROME set and I have every confidence it's going to be outstanding. In addition to SAMURAI DREAMS (and possibly Masha's program APOLLO & DYONISUS, though they feel the quality of this may not warrant its complete use), the set is going to contain about five or six VIDEODROME segments, including much material not seen in the final film, such as the SAMURAI DREAMS actress turning up on the VIDEODROME set as a victim. I'm told that David Cronenberg got to see the rough cut of Michael Lennick's new production short last night and loved it.
I covered the making of the film for CFQ and made a couple of visits to the set with two different photographers (one of them my wife, Donna) back in 1981. When they invited me to contribute, I shipped a large box to Criterion, containing thousands of previously unpublished slides (Barry Convex stuff like you wouldn't believe!), all my original on-set interview tapes, and the complete typescript of my unpublished book-length manuscript THE IMAGE BECOMES VIRUS: THE MAKING OF VIDEODROME. Criterion are still trying to assess how much of these materials they can use, though it's doubtful the book will appear in its entirety, as they don't do CD-ROM extras. But they have asked me to provide the text for the accompanying booklet, which will be partly derived from the manuscript and partly new."

Lucas' book is one DVD-Rom bonus feature I would actually enjoy. Usually I don't check out this feature on DVD's. Too bad Criterion doesn't do them.
Old 05-21-04, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by philo
Well, there was no question we'd see a Special Edition of this because I gave in and bought the current one back in January after waiting a year for a price drop which of course came 2 months later.

I know there are people just itching for to me to pick up the current Baron Munchausen.
Actually, I was hoping you'd buy Raising Arizona. Please?
Old 05-21-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Loc Nar
Actually, I was hoping you'd buy Raising Arizona. Please?
If it would get a Criterion of Raising Arizona done, I'd buy 10 of the current release. Now.
Old 05-21-04, 06:31 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cool.

Now Criterion will announce the price and the backlash will begin.
Old 05-21-04, 06:42 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Well, another Cronenberg release of a Universal title - not unexpected, but rare news for Criterion, who haven't really released much horror.
Old 05-23-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by jough
Well, another Cronenberg release of a Universal title - not unexpected, but rare news for Criterion, who haven't really released much horror.
I'd love to see them release more horror - and some westerns, dammit!
Old 05-23-04, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally posted by jough
Haxan, Diabolique, Peeping Tom, Dead Ringers, Naked Lunch, The Blob, Fiend w/Out a Face, Blood for Dracula, Kwaidan, Silence of the Lambs, Sisters, Carnival of Souls, The Most Dangerous Game, Seventh Seal, and Onibaba aren't enough for you?

Last edited by Pants; 05-23-04 at 02:22 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 08:04 AM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
Diabolique, Naked Lunch, Silence of the Lambs, The Most Dangerous Game, and Seventh Seal (!?) aren't horror films.

Kwaidan and Onibaba are about ghost stories, but probably wouldn't truly be considered "horror" either.

Even Dead Ringers is more of of a thriller.

And you left out Flesh for Frankenstein, but again, Warhol camp isn't really horror either. It's more a sex film than a horror film.

How about a Criterion Poltergeist, or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, or Phantasm - you know, something traditionally a "horror" film - not a mystery, not a thriller, but horror.
Old 05-24-04, 11:13 AM

Poltergeist are about ghost stories, but probably wouldn't truly be considered "horror" either
Old 05-24-04, 11:30 AM
Banned

I obviously subscribe to a broader, more inclusive definition of "horror film".

How can you say The Most Dangerous Game isn't a horror movie? That dude is Leatherface and Hanibal Lecter rolled into one. AND he wants to **** the chick when he's done killing the dude! He's a sexually motivated serial killer.

And speaking of Lecter, how can The Silence of the Lambs be anything but a horror movie. If it's not a horror movie what is it?

And with all the supernatural goings-on I definately consider The Seventh Seal a horror film. Heck, it has the Grim Reaper in it.

And explain to me again how a ghost story isn't a horror film. I didn't realize that "ghost story" was its own autonomous genre.

Last edited by Pants; 05-24-04 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 06:34 PM
Suspended

Silence of the Lambs is a "thriller" - it would be under the "Drama" genre at the video store, not "horror." There's actually very little violence in the film. It's mostly people talking.

Yes, "ghost story" is a sub-genre of either drama or horror, depending on the content.

Genres are just classifications, though - but horror in the modern sense seems to contain:

Slasher/Serial Killer films where the killings are shown on screen
Monster movies
Supernatural killer films (a combination of the above two sub-genres)

Generally there is much killing in a horror film, usually shown on-screen. Some examples would include:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Friday the 13th (and sequels)
A Nightmare on Elm St. (and sequels)
Halloween (and sequels)
Killer Clowns from Outer Space
Dawn of the Dead
Ghoulies
Phantasm
House
Hellraiser
Candy Man
Shocker
Pumpkinhead
Child's Play
28 Days Later
Final Destination
Scream
Resident Evil
etc.
Old 05-25-04, 08:17 PM
Banned by request

So basically your saying only slashers are "real" horror movies?

I've seen Silence of the Lambs in the horror section of video stores.

However, simply the presence of the supernatural does not mean it's a horror film. There's no horror in The Seventh Seal. Existential musings, certainly. Loss of faith, definitely. Chess? Yes. Horror? No.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.