Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Corvin's Custom Covers VII: A New Beginning

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Corvin's Custom Covers VII: A New Beginning

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-05, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 935 Likes on 660 Posts
Originally Posted by John*D
Thanks for replying to my question of whether or not anyone is only
using the OTA episodes with your artwork and not buying the official DVDs.

Michael, I didn't think that you would be one of the people who wouldn't buy the set when it was released. The question was more directed to other users/visitors who downloaded and printed out the disc/insert artwork. I still suspect some are not going to be buying the official DVD set, because of the artwork that was posted in this thread and others found elsewhere. It gives them a reason to not buy the real product.
Sorry if I sounded defensive and/or harsh. It's just unusual when someone new comes in spouting holier than thou speeches about recording TV signals, which is legal.

Each and every person can only be accountable for thier own actions. It doesn't matter if I made these with full retail specs, people will still use them for their boots regardless of the accuracy of the cover compared to what they hold in their hand. It is a nice shiny cover for their disc(s).

With more and more people buying TV tuners for their computer and using Tivo-to-Go, you delve into a gray area. Once the official set was released, I pulled my original covers and labels, and provided updated work that reflected the official set. That is all I can do.

Now if we were discussing movies with accompanying labels, that is more clear cut piracy, since most of the time it is for films that haven't seen the light of day on television yet.
Old 10-09-05, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
As per the terms of service on both sites I can't link them, but search this forum and you should be able to find some previous info on both sites. Dagon's Den is run by dvdtalk member Dagon. MaDVD recently changed URLs and is invite only. That might help your quest. Or maybe a kind soul here could email them to you.

Er...So I suppose if there's a kind soul out there who would email me the Official Lost dvd covers and labels? Lol, thanks in advance I guess, if anyone would oblige, to send them to me at: [email protected]

I just want the Lost Season 1 Offical DVD Covers and Disc labels.

Thanks for your reply Mr. Corwin.
Old 10-17-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Tripod123

I just want the Lost Season 1 Offical DVD Covers and Disc labels.

Thanks for your reply Mr. Corwin.
Once again, why would you need labels if you bought the Official set?
Old 10-19-05, 07:22 PM

Well, I don't have a scanner, so even if I did have the set what good would it do me? I still can't put them in an image file. And heck, if i had the originals, the better question would be "why do you need the dvd cover" ....right?

I don't get why you put a face rolling its eyes at me....
Old 10-19-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't get it.

It is very simple. To replace 1. ugly cover art or 2. replace a cardboard case, i.e. snapper or digipak.

This has been building up from several users so...

[general rant (not directed at you but may include you)]It gets so old everyone always ass-u-me that those that spend time designing covers only do it for bootleg purposes. If that were the case why would anyone waste time doing customs at all? A piss poor retail scan would suffice for a dvd with the title written in magic marker on it. Do you honestly think that someone would spend 15+ hours working on a set of covers(how long it took for this lost set) for some cheap dvd-rs? Not everyone uses Netflix for their own personal Kinko's made dvd library. Is it that hard to understand? [/end rant]

From my very first post with the Lost covers, It was said it was a temp set, only until the retail set was released. It worked during the season b/c people were recording and transferring them to DVD. Since we are in season 2, season 1 is not on the air to record, therefore the only source is a copy of the official set. 1 + 1. It isn't that hard to figure out.

I've never felt the need to "back-up" my claims because I shouldn't have to, but here you go. Here's just a few of the tubs that were easily accesible to snap a shot of:

Add this rant to a laundry list of reasons why I haven't shared my past dozen custom covers. Just doesn't seem worth it anymore. The only reason I shared Arrested Development is because the show is such a hit on this forum.

deep breath. done.
Old 10-19-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You got a conversion for Titus S1&2? I've been looking for one of those. One of the few non-amaray sets I have left on the tv shelf.
Old 10-20-05, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not yet. It is on the to do list though. Right now I just have the thinpaks on the shelf.
Old 10-20-05, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Michael, do you have any before and after pictures of your DVD storage unit to see the reduction in clutter by switching to the slimpack cases?

How do I get access to the streamload files. I'd like to get a cover for the seinfeld bonus disc. I didn't realize it came in a regular CD jewel case when I ordered it from Best Buy. That will not do ;-)

Thanks and keep up the great work. At some point I'd like to convert over my ST - TNG that packaging is WAAAAY too bulky.

Out of curiosity, do you print your covers on 8.5x11 paper and cut them out, or do you buy pre-perferated slim case covers?
Old 10-20-05, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've wanted to get a before/after, but sets are always getting added/removed(selling them). Just haven't felt like emptying the shelves to put up the empty cases for comparison.

Just standard photo paper and cut it out with a metal ruler and box cutter.

Seinfeld... I thought it was on ma, but I just checked and it isn't. I can up it this weekend.
Old 10-20-05, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've wanted to get a before/after, but sets are always getting added/removed(selling them). Just haven't felt like emptying the shelves to put up the empty cases for comparison.

Just standard photo paper and cut it out with a metal ruler and box cutter.

Seinfeld... I thought it was on ma, but I just checked and it isn't. I can up it this weekend.
Thanks for the info.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "ma"?
Somewhere in this thread, I found a link to several covers (including Seinfeld) on twilightzone1's Hosted Files on streamload, but I don't appear to have access to those files. Is that your site, or do you know who I need to contact to get access?
Old 10-20-05, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

[general rant (not directed at you but may include you)]It gets so old everyone always ass-u-me that those that spend time designing covers only do it for bootleg purposes. If that were the case why would anyone waste time doing customs at all? A piss poor retail scan would suffice for a dvd with the title written in magic marker on it. Do you honestly think that someone would spend 15+ hours working on a set of covers(how long it took for this lost set) for some cheap dvd-rs? Not everyone uses Netflix for their own personal Kinko's made dvd library. Is it that hard to understand? [/end rant]
Well put Corvin. While I'm not a gifted cover artist like Corvin and many others; I try because I want to add my own personal touch to my custom DVD Collection. We spend tons of money on these collections, hell my TV on DVD alone has an MSRP of over $4k, why would I want it displayed like shit I'm constantly being questioned by my friends as to why I would waste all the time and money to buy all the paper/ink to do this. Yeah I admit I'm a bit anal about it and I still have a long way to go but the presentation is key for me.
Old 10-20-05, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Exactly. I spend all this money, I want the sets to look as best they can, and studio art rarely accomplishes that with all the big heads, banners and critic quotes plastered everywhere.

Originally Posted by Brett
Thanks for the info.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "ma"?
Somewhere in this thread, I found a link to several covers (including Seinfeld) on twilightzone1's Hosted Files on streamload, but I don't appear to have access to those files. Is that your site, or do you know who I need to contact to get access?
That is mine. I ran out of my alloted transfer amount though.

Ma = madvd. There is a thread on it already I believe. Check it out.

It is very simple. To replace 1. ugly cover art or 2. replace a cardboard case, i.e. snapper or digipak.
Forgot one. #3 - save space. With that many sets, shrinking them all to fit in a standard width dvd case saves me more than 50% shelf space. More room for more dvds!

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-20-05 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-20-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Brett,

I just upped the Seinfeld bonus disc to ma. Can't seem to access gen at the moment to put it there.

I did however upload all the Cheers, South Park & Lost covers there last night. Enjoy.
Old 10-21-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: second star on the right and straight on to the morning
Can't seem to access gen at the moment to put it there.
Again excuse my ignorance, but what is "gen" ? Is it the streamload site?

Thanks

Randy

Last edited by Randy810; 10-21-05 at 11:18 AM.
Old 10-21-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

generetic.org

It still isn't working though. They have had server issues for about a month now.
Old 11-01-05, 05:33 AM

awsome work again on the covers for season 2, are you doing dvd lables this time round as well?
Old 11-14-05, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it's not too much trouble would someone be able to mail me the covers at [email protected]?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-14-05, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

join r1db.com and d/l them all there. That way I get credit.
Old 11-21-05, 10:08 AM

how about season 2 then? 3 eps per dvd?

thanks! ;p
Old 11-21-05, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The first cover of season two is there as well. Not the thin, but the official one. I have a thin, I just haven't upped it anywhere yet.

I also have a decent idea for a label as well. Stay tuned. Well, not too tuned, the 360 comes out tomorrow, so hopefully I will be getting one.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-21-05 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-17-05, 07:59 AM

Here's a question for Mr. Corvin.

When you have multiple seasons such as Arrested Develpment, Seinfeld, Stargate, etc. do you also design a box for all seasons? I'm imagining something similar to the Blade Giftset. It would look nice, would this require printing on cardboard?

I ask because there are certain franchises that don't have special packaging, like Bad Boys or Meet the Parents/Fockers. I suppose an easy way to do it would be to find an extra box from a cheap set, and print the new art on a hi res label, and carefully put the label on the box. :idea:

Or do you simply create custom art for a double/triple/quadruple case and put the franchise in that case?
Old 12-17-05, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just buy the size case required. Most of the time anything up to six discs can fit into a regular sized dvd case, so boxes aren't necessary.
Old 02-20-06, 11:55 AM

Lost DVD Covers Season 2

Could someone please e-mail me the dvd covers for Lost Season 2. I have looked everywhere but cant find them. The Season 1 covers were great. Thanks!!!!
Old 02-20-06, 11:55 AM

e-mail address

sorry , forgot e-mail address [email protected]
Old 02-20-06, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They can be found at r1db and generetic