Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk > DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts
Reload this Page >

Corvin's Custom Covers VII: A New Beginning

Community
Search
DVD Talk Covers, Cases & Inserts Talk about DVD Cover Art, DVD Cases and DVD INSERTS

Corvin's Custom Covers VII: A New Beginning

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts
As promised. Updated for the official release and converted to standard singles. Not only because it was requested, but I, personally, have 3 exclusive bonus discs that I can easily put into the last case. Makes it harder to do with thinpaks. I also removed the logos from the spine making it less cluttered. With the spine layout like this the image is large enough for me to cover 3 seasons.

Old 09-23-05, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Link to new covers
Old 09-23-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question - I realize it might mess up the symmetry a 'lil bit, but any chance of a "critic's quote"-free set? I know it's not like you chose to reprint whole paragraphs of what they had to say, but they irritate me to no end..

Oh, and great job...but i'm sure I don't have to tell you that.
Old 09-23-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They usually irritate me as well, but since all the praise was unanimous I thought it would be cool having four different ones on there. Also they are small and not on the front. BUT, I don't see that being a problem. I will try and get to that later.
Old 09-23-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Many thanks.
Old 09-24-05, 06:54 AM
Cool New Member

Brilliant as usually Michael and I was glad to see you over at the GEN site. Massive competition for the LOST covers. I bought the Boxset and loved it a DVD done right. I also have your thinPAK which suited me because I create my own DVDs and they are the ones get lend out.

With the just aired episode 1 of season 2 will you do something similar as you did for season 1? You may have noticed SirReef's posts of his LOST covers the poor guy is out of the communicaton channel as he packed up early to get out of Houston.

Thanks again for your brilliant work and care to share the content of the 3 exclusive bonus discs via PM if you like.
Old 09-24-05, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah his covers look pretty cool. Not sure about having 7 different cases for each season though.

Andyblac has been working on one for the Primetime Anthology set as well.

The bonus discs?
1 - Best Buy Exclusive - Contains the "Journeys" recap episode and a few other morsels
2 - The Lost Chronicles - (book comes with a DVD with bonus features not on any of the other discs
3 - TVGuide disc - 3" mini CD that has some deleted scenes not in the set.
Old 09-24-05, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

What is this "GEN" you speak of...?
Old 09-24-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

generitic

You have to pay for access, which sucks. Unless you upload stuff, which further feeds the "steal and upload anything for access/it's on the net it's free and fair game for anyone" mentality.
Old 09-25-05, 08:12 AM

im new to this site and just seen the new lost artwork which is very impressive but i was unable to download them via the link.

it told me to contact the owner of the files, did any one else have these problems.
Old 09-25-05, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

They should be available today. My monthly limit is 12GB and that went pretty quick when I put up my 7 cheers covers. I also have the 4 Lost covers and 8 South Park covers, so that 12GB goes pretty quick.

It should reset sometime today though, b/c it resets on the 25th of every month.
Old 09-25-05, 09:19 AM

thanks, your work is brillant, do you do this for a living?

im currently at university studying a degree in graphic design, web design etc and i can understand how much work went into them, anyway i was planing to do a dvd menu for the series and i was wondering how you got such good images.
Old 09-26-05, 02:19 AM
Cool New Member

Michael,
Thanks for the list of Extras. The Lost Chronicles book I didn't know about it and will check it out. SirReef will make Season 2 covers as the episodes get aired.

Regarding the fee for the GEN site I do like it because it gets rid of people with the mentality, it's on the NET it's free. I pay for my TV license in the UK, pay for my Satellite subscripton, Premium News Server account plus DSL access, a fee for a premium artwork site fits right in there

I was in search for a replacement of the closed khitomer.net site and that one is the closest to it I found plus I like the community and the features on the site.

Anyhow hope things are OK with you. Just watched the opener of Season 2, some generous soul uploaded the HDTV Transport Stream and 1280x720p does look fantastic, the down side it is 4 Gig download for 43 minutes.

Last edited by one2go; 09-26-05 at 02:23 AM.
Old 09-26-05, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I will be doing season 2 as they air as well.
Old 09-26-05, 11:06 AM

still cant download the new lost artwork is there a chance you could email them to me instead?
Old 09-26-05, 11:19 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I will be doing season 2 as they air as well.
Brilliant I will be looking forward to using them. In season 1 you did an excellent job but especially for all of us who put 3 episodes on a single DVD.

I converted the Season 2 opener from HDTV Transport Stream to MPEG2 DVD stream and together with the DD 5.1 sound it is about 1.45 Gig a feast for my tired eyes here in the UK, as channel 4 is airing season 1 episode 9 this Wednesday.

I hope you will again stick to double thinPAKs as I loved them because they conserve storage.
Old 09-27-05, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by g50536004
still cant download the new lost artwork is there a chance you could email them to me instead?
Well, looked into my plan. Looks like it was 1GB per month/ 12GB available for the entire year. Ouch. Misread that when I signed up. That account is down for the count. I still get 100MB a month free, but that is only 30 or so covers.

I apologize, but I don't have the deep pockets that these other designers do so everyone will have to pick up the covers at jayhawk's place, as I don't have another option to make them available other than Gen, if I ever take the time to up them.

If any web site owners want to point me in a cheap alternative I would be open to suggestions.
Old 09-27-05, 05:23 PM
Cool New Member

I just set up an on-line storage thingy with www.box.net and 1 gig storage at any time for a year is $25. Upload & Download is fast and quick you can also share with them.

A freebie account for 1 Gig a year is with http://www.mofile.com/en/ there upload is fast but download is only 5kb/s

Don't know if that helps you. Otherwise you know your work deserves the exposure Gen provides.
Old 10-08-05, 01:33 PM

Hope the new Michael Corvin Official DVD covers gets a host soon, I'm really looking forward to finish the "Lost DVD Masterpiece Theater".

Thanks for all your efforts Michael!
Old 10-08-05, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They are on ma & the den so far. Enjoy.
Old 10-08-05, 07:26 PM

I'm sorry, I'm new to this hobby.....

What exactly is "Ma & the den" ?
Old 10-08-05, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As per the terms of service on both sites I can't link them, but search this forum and you should be able to find some previous info on both sites. Dagon's Den is run by dvdtalk member Dagon. MaDVD recently changed URLs and is invite only. That might help your quest. Or maybe a kind soul here could email them to you.
Old 10-08-05, 08:02 PM

I can understand making custom inserts if you don't like the DIGIpak for the official release, but I saw the DISC-art labels...

I know this thread started way before the DVD set came out, but are people NOT buying the official DVD set and just using files recorded OTA? I would have thought DVDtalk would be against people doing this once a DVD set is released?

If I was burning my TIVO shows, then once a show gets released on DVD, I would just ERASE all the DVD-RW's or throw out the DVD-Rs. Then buy the official DVD release.

Last edited by John*D; 10-08-05 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-08-05, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by John*D
I can understand making custom inserts if you don't like the DIGIpak for the official release, but I saw the DISC-art labels...

I know this thread started way before the DVD set came out, but are people NOT buying the official DVD set and just using files recorded OTA? I would have thought DVDtalk would be against people doing this once a DVD set is released?

If I was burning my TIVO shows, then once a show gets released on DVD, I would just ERASE all the DVD-RW's or throw out the DVD-Rs. Then buy the official DVD release.
Welcome new guy.

First you assume way too much. These were done last year, long before a dvd release was in sight.

Second, the labels are no longer available

Third, the DVD Cover that was for the OTA broadcast is no longer available, only the one for the official release.

Fourth, what is wrong with just keeping OTA broadcasts? How is that different than when I recorded every Seinfeld episode on VHS? Not everyone has bottomless wallets filled with cash.

Fifth, I bought the set as well as the companion book and passed my DVDRs around to friends/family that haven't watched the show. Now they are hooked and watching the current season. So the studio has gained viewership this way. Who are you to judge?

Sixth, read the second line of my sig.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 10-08-05 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-09-05, 12:21 AM

re

Welcome new guy.
Thank you.

These were done last year, long before a dvd release was in sight.
As I previously said, I know the thread was started long before the DVD was released. LOST being such a popular show there was very little doubt that it was not going to be released this year.
There were even news reports stating that TPTB were working on DVD supplimentals and the rest of the set very early on during the show's original run.

Third, the DVD Cover that was for the OTA broadcast is no longer available, only the one for the official release.
Like you said, they were available.

Fourth, what is wrong with just keeping OTA broadcasts?
How is that different than when I recorded every Seinfeld
episode on VHS? Not everyone has bottomless wallets filled with cash.
I didn't say there was anything wrong with keeping OTA broadcasts.
I said that when the show is released officially by the studio, I would
get rid of the OTA discs and buy the official DVD set.

As for Seinfeld, it was never released on VHS by SONY (A.F.A.I.K).
I agree we all can't spend tons of money buying all the TV-on-DVD sets.
However, IMO providing such exceptional disc/insert artwork for OTA episodes encourages those who would ONLY burn their own recordings, use TORRENT/P2P sites/software, or possibly bootleggers.

Fifth, I bought the set as well as the companion book and passed my
DVDRs around to friends/family that haven't watched the show.
Now they are hooked and watching the current season.
So the studio has gained viewership this way. Who are you to judge?
Thanks for replying to my question of whether or not anyone is only
using the OTA episodes with your artwork and not buying the official DVDs.

Michael, I didn't think that you would be one of the people who wouldn't buy the set when it was released. The question was more directed to other users/visitors who downloaded and printed out the disc/insert artwork. I still suspect some are not going to be buying the official DVD set, because of the artwork that was posted in this thread and others found elsewhere. It gives them a reason to not buy the real product.

I and anyone else has the right to ask the question of whether or not people are going to be buying the officially released set It's a perfectly reasonable question to ask especially with all the bootlegging, Torrent/P2P sites/software and popularity of DVRs.

Keep up the good work on making inserts for those who buy the official DVDs and want to use keepcases rather than the original packaging.

Finally, it was not my intention to insult or anger anyone who read my other post. Thanks again.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.